BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2015-12-30 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
The Beer Drinker Appreciation Society's Mission: Beer is a great motivator, and we use it to motivate and hold each other accountable. Work hard - drink whatever you want. Beer, Wine, Booze - it doesn't matter as long as it motivates you. Miss a workout - and you just earned a CLP (Coors Lite Penalty - best served warm This group is for everyone! There is a nice mix of experience here so newbies and vets will find the support they need to accomplish their goals.

NAME: David or DQ

STORY: In 2012, I weighed in at a portly 270 lb and decided enough was enough. I started out with a simple sprint and ended up capping off the year with a HIM. The exercise helped me to lose 95 pounds. More importantly, I feel in love with the sport of Triathlon and it's been a passion ever since. For me - it's all about staying happy and healthy.

FAMILY STATUS: I am blessed to be married to my smokin hot wife (Heidi) and during the last 16 years, we've had three kids 15, 13, and 6.

CURRENT TRAINING: Prone to injury, I’m struggling to overcome a shoulder impingement. While I haven’t been in the pool to swim in more than 2 months, I still run and bike 3x per week.

2015 RACES: It was a busy year. I did more than a half dozen sprints and OLYs and wrapped up the year with Challenge Maine HIM with Charles - a fellow BDAS member (chuckles).

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: My schedule is packed this year as I took my bonus and presents from my students to register for a race each month. In March, I’ll be running a Half Mary with John from the group and will also Bandit Boston in April. The highlight will be Ironman Maryland in October and am asking your now for your support.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are saison, gueuze, Gose, and other tasty sours. Perhaps my favorite beer on the planet is Two Hearted IPA by Bells. I also make beer and just brewed a mint stout that I'm hoping will motivate me heading into the new year. Stop by for a glass.

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2012, I lost 96 pounds to hit 170. Over the past two years, I've put back 40 pounds of it. Hoping to eat a better so I can toe the line at IMMD weighing less than 170.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: To be honest, I would not have been able to accomplish anything without the help of my awesome mentor (thanks DH) and fellow beer-loving mentees. I am so thankful, and I want to repay my debt by helping those who join this group to accomplish their goals. I promise to check the forum everyday and I will do my best to answer your questions and cheer you on throughout the 2016 tri season. As a group, we will use beer to help motivate us to get healthier and happier and to put us in a good position to accomplish our goals and kick a little butt along the way.

Just so you know, two group members, Scott and Alan (both Ironmen who did their first sprint after joining this group), will be helping me support you.

PROST!!!

2015-12-30 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Here is a blank member bio sheet. Please fill it out so we can get to know you. Just cut and paste it into a new post.

Thanks for joining the BDAS!

NAME:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

2015 RACES:

The Plan for 2016:

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE:

WEIGHT LOSS:

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER:

PROST!!!

Edited by Qua17 2015-12-30 11:27 AM
2015-12-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Welcome to the BDAS!

This will be our 5th year. Founded by Big DH - this group has been one of the best from when Darren began it in 2016. I was proud of of what the BDAS accomplished during the last 52 weeks. We led the entire BT in posts, which means we did an outstanding job of supporting each other. For me, that's what it's all about.

I want to crush 2016 and as always I want your impute. I'm a guy who lives on structure, and I'd like to bring back some things we've done in the past and try some new ideas that have been going through my head. Here are my thoughts I generated while doing my long run last week:

Each week - I'd like to have a schedule to keep us on track and motivate people to check back in throughout the year.

Sunday - reflect back on the goals of the week
Monday - set new goals
Wednesday - question of the week
Friday – plans for the weekend/goal check in

Each month, I'd also like there to be a pattern:

Beginning of the month - reward ourselves for accomplishing the previous month's challenge and launch a new challenge
Mid month - check in
End of month - check in

Every 3 months, I'd like to have a brag session where people praise their efforts and we praise each other's accomplishments

I'd like to propose the following group challenges:
January - weight-loss challenge
February - "like" challenge with the goal of getting people to check in and like each others workouts
April - Your first race of the year challenge - do what you need to do to prepare
June - love handle challenge
The rest of challenges would be decided by group
March, July, and September challenge versus another mentor group - winner buys beers if they meet at race during 2016

Yearly Goal Challenge

Week of MLK - create another Spotify playlist that everyone in the group can contribute to

Please let me know if you have any other ideas on how we can make the BDAS a more supportive place.

Prost!
2015-12-30 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

NAME: Thor

STORY: In 2010, I decided to start  a weight loss challenge within my family...6 weeks winner take all. I was around 300lbs(6' tall). I wear my weight well but was wearing 40/42 pants...after winning the 6 week challenge, I decided to keep going. 2011, I decided to try a triathlon in order to stay on program...was hooked.  I have been as low as 195 which is light for my frame and where I would like to end up again. My weight has been up and down usually with the tri season. Was injured in 2013 and didn't race. Having trouble putting on my 34 pants(I slather on the bacon grease to get them on). As of today I am back on program to lose lose lose! I am all about the Sprints and Olys.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married and have a son(13) and daughter(8). Our whole family is involved in triathlons. They also both play hockey which I coach. Very busy family.
CURRENT TRAINING: Just trying to get consistent. 

2015 RACES:Heart of the Rockies, Tri-smore
RACES PLANNED FOR 16: Not completely sure but will be doing  Heart of the Rockies for sure.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are IPA's . I will even drink the odd fruit beer...barely.  

WEIGHT LOSS: Bit of a train wreck of late... need to drop some pounds...okay lots of pounds.... 

Edited by thor67 2015-12-30 2:15 PM
2015-12-30 5:59 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

NAME: Mark

STORY:  I started the path down recreational endurance sports after having surgery on my foot and realizing that "running wasn't so bad". Going from couch to 5k, 10k, sprint triathlon, half marathon, and olympic triathlon!

CURRENT TRAINING: Lots of running, swimming at least twice a week, biking when I can

2015 RACES: A total of 5 half marathons, 3 sprint triathlons, and an olympic triathlon.

The Plan for 2016: A whopping 8 half marathons, 3 sprint triathlons, and an olympic triathlon.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Hoppy (balanced hoppy,  not just super hoppy), pales and IPA's. I've also recently expanded into stouts. Being local to one of the nations best craft breweries (Firestone Walker) has me spoiled a bit.

WEIGHT LOSS: Need to drop about 15 pounds that I put on in 2015 and get back to my 2014 weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I'm a middle aged, middle of the pack, beer appreciating, recreational endurance athlete. This will be my third year of BDAS and I can contribute tips and advice from the "average guy" perspective and help those coming "from the couch".

2015-12-31 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

NAME: Thor

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are IPA's . I will even drink the odd fruit beer...barely. 

You've come a long way!

Edited by Qua17 2015-12-31 7:09 AM

2015-12-31 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
With less than 24 left in 2015, it's time to start thinking about 2016. What are your goals for 2016?

David

Edited by Qua17 2015-12-31 7:23 AM
2015-12-31 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
DQ's 2016 Goals

My primary goal is to complete IM Maryland. To do that I will:

1) Lose 50 Pounds by losing 2 pounds per week, limiting beer: Beer:36 oz limit 1-2 days per week, count calories daily

2) Strengthen Core by doing PT exercises and ice daily, PT every 2 weeks

3) Support my fellow BTers by checking in 5x per week

4) Have fun... It's not all about finishing times. I need to remember its about being happy and healthy.

2015-12-31 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

As this is new year's eve, what is everyone drinking tonight for beer?

Dave do you have tickets to the winter classic?

2015-12-31 9:05 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert

Thor - You forget... While I may live in Boston - I'm still a teacher making teachers wages. I looked into buying them for my son who is a huge hockey fan (see - I'm doing something right as a dad!) and they were $400+ per tix.
2015-12-31 1:57 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

NYE is not a beer night in Spain (sorry BDAS, someday we may become BWDAS ) - so French champagne for starters, white verdejo Belondrade&Lurton for the shrimps and marinated salmon, great reserva red Vega Sicilia with the roasted lamb, and back to champagne for desserts - we have a spanish tradition to eat 12 grapes with the 12 "dongs" at midnight, so everything is ready! What´s on your menu toinght? 2016 resolution for Jan: healthier breakfast and loose 5 pounds that I´ve put on during Christmas.
Happy New Year!!

Juan

2015-12-31 2:08 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Juan - Glad to hear you are having a great New Years! Enjoy every sip of that wine - with 2015 under your belt - you have earned it!

2015-12-31 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Thors question of what everyone is drinking on New Years eve is a good one. I just had Nancy by Alagash. Good but not great!

Let's talk beer. I record every beer I drink and give it a grade from A+ to F. This year, I tried almost 700 beers. Here are the ones that got a perfect score (about 7% got an A+):

Jacks Abby Sour Red
Jacks Abby Sour Barrel Project #9
Westbrook Brewing Co. Gose
Cascade Brewing Co. Kriek
Paradox Brewing Co. Apricot Sour
Alagash Brewing - Tiara
Alagash Confluence
Alagash - Riverton
Stone Brewing - Sorry Not Sorry IPA
Sierra Nevada Brewing - Hop Hunter IPA
Willoughby Brewing Co. Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter
Portside Brewing - 216
Clown Shoes Brewing - Mango
Clown Shoes - The Ballad of Minnie Quay
Night Shift Brewing - Mainer Weisse
Night Shift Brewing - Harborside
Sierra Nevada - Torpedo Extra IPA
Boulevard Brewing CO. Funky Pumpkin
Bruery Terreux - Beret
Hardywood Park Brewing - Pils
Transmitter Brewing - F4 Brett Farmhouse Ale
Cambridge Brewing Arquebus
Troegs Brewing - Sunshine Pils
Brasserie Diue du Ciel - Blanche du Paradis
Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen - Golden Doesjel
Right Brain - Hefe Cubano
Right Brain - Concrete Dinosaur
The Brew Kettle White Rajah
Brouwerij Huyghe - Van Diest Fruli Strawberry Beer
John Harvards - Cold fusion Coffee Stout
John Harvards - Strawberry Wheat
Avery Brewing Co - Raspberry Sour
Traveler Brewing Co - Grapefruit Shandy
Ballast Brewing Co - Indra Kunindra
Small Town Brewery - Not Your Father's Rootbeer
Southern Tier Brewing Co - Choklat
Crazy Mountain Brewing Co - Lawyers Guns and Money Barleywine
The Lost Abby Brewing Co - Gift of the Maji
Bells Brewing Co - Two Hearted Ale

Thoughts?
2015-12-31 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Juan, while I am a beer drinker at heart I have taken to drinking some great reds from your part of the world!

That being said, I love your plan for the night! Are you going out for this or staying in? If staying in I plan on visiting your house sometime to have such a great meal!!

Originally posted by Juancho

NYE is not a beer night in Spain (sorry BDAS, someday we may become BWDAS ) - so French champagne for starters, white verdejo Belondrade&Lurton for the shrimps and marinated salmon, great reserva red Vega Sicilia with the roasted lamb, and back to champagne for desserts - we have a spanish tradition to eat 12 grapes with the 12 "dongs" at midnight, so everything is ready! What´s on your menu toinght? 2016 resolution for Jan: healthier breakfast and loose 5 pounds that I´ve put on during Christmas. Happy New Year!! Juan

2015-12-31 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well after finishing my run with my wife I have poured a devil's elbow IPA

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11977/25178/

Not great but easily drinkable.

I also have and I P eh' from Russell brewing, an ISA racer betty from Central city and a Punch Bowl IPA(sorry no fruit Dave) from Russell. All from British Columbia=california/oregon  for craft brews.

http://beermebc.com

Happy new year!!

2016-01-01 8:46 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thor, this was at home with parents and in-laws (15 of us), it would be great is at some point we could have a BDAS meeting and spend couple days training together, and drinking best beers/wines we have tasted. If you ever come this side of the world, let me know!
Tomorrow 10k run on schedule, easy day today...
Juan

Juan, while I am a beer drinker at heart I have taken to drinking some great reds from your part of the world!

That being said, I love your plan for the night! Are you going out for this or staying in? If staying in I plan on visiting your house sometime to have such a great meal!!

NYE is not a beer night in Spain (sorry BDAS, someday we may become BWDAS ) - so French champagne for starters, white verdejo Belondrade&Lurton for the shrimps and marinated salmon, great reserva red Vega Sicilia with the roasted lamb, and back to champagne for desserts - we have a spanish tradition to eat 12 grapes with the 12 "dongs" at midnight, so everything is ready! What´s on your menu toinght? 2016 resolution for Jan: healthier breakfast and loose 5 pounds that I´ve put on during Christmas. Happy New Year!! Juan

2016-01-01 8:47 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Dave, I´ll copy/paste this list in my "to-do" for 2016!
Thanks!

Juan

Originally posted by Qua17

Thors question of what everyone is drinking on New Years eve is a good one. I just had Nancy by Alagash. Good but not great!

Let's talk beer. I record every beer I drink and give it a grade from A+ to F. This year, I tried almost 700 beers. Here are the ones that got a perfect score (about 7% got an A+):

Jacks Abby Sour Red
Alagash Brewing - Tiara
Alagash Confluence
Alagash - Riverton
Portside Brewing - 216
Bruery Terreux - Beret

Thoughts?
2016-01-01 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Juan - I'd be interested to know how many of these you can get in SPain. I would imagine that most exports from the states are macro brews - not beers from micro breweries.

Dave, I´ll copy/paste this list in my "to-do" for 2016!
Thanks!

Juan

Originally posted by Qua17

Jacks Abby Sour Red
Alagash Brewing - Tiara
Alagash Confluence
Alagash - Riverton
Portside Brewing - 216
Bruery Terreux - Beret

Thoughts?

2016-01-01 10:12 AM

User image

NAME: Scott

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS: married with a 7 year old (triathlete) daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently getting started again after a break following Beach to Battleship in October

2015 RACES: Rock and Roll Raleigh (Mar), Try Ballantyne (sp), Stumpy creek (oly), White Lake (HIM), Wilmington YMCA (sp), Beach to Battleship (IM)

The Plan for 2016: Dopey (5k,10k,HM, Mar), Rebel Challenge (10k,HM), Dark Side Challenge (10k,HM), Try Ballantyne (sp), IM Raleigh 70.3, White Lake (oly), Wilmington YMCA (sp), IM NC 70.3(formerly Beach to Battleship)

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: yes please. I am into IPA, Tuscan Reds, and bourbon

WEIGHT LOSS: Now that I am 38 I am realizing carrying around 240 is too much. I had been carrying weight for work, but now am able to trim down some.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: Assuming I can ever get jump started I am pretty consistent. I also learned about tri from this group and want to give back. I signed up for my first 3 races after working the IM Raleigh 2013. I didn't own a bike, and while I knew how to not drown I did not know how to swim. I did my first Half IM the next season and my first full last season. I learned a lot along the way including what not to do. I have gotten my daughter into Tri and even use it to bribe her (you can only do 2 races next year if you ....). I mostly lifted weights prior to tri and plan to incorporate it more this season to work on speed. I also MUST work on flexibility. Look forward to another season!
2016-01-01 10:13 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

If anyone uses garmin connect we have a BDAS group.
2016-01-01 10:32 AM

User image

I had to wake up at 0330 to get to work on time so I had a glass on my home made chianti (which is way over oaked since I forgot it on the oak chips) and went to bed early to be awoken by fireworks from 12-0300. Not the way I planned my first NYE off in 12 years.

2016-01-01 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I would like to throw out the first challenge of the year! Bringing back the 24 workouts in 31 days. Just an incentive to get the ball rolling in the new year!

Nice and easy...helps you make a habit!

Minimums:

Swim-15

Bike-20

Run-15

2016-01-01 10:50 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Will have to look it up! Got a Garmin Vivoactive for Christmas( as did my wife and son...they were a smokin' sale. My daughter got the vivofit)

Anyone on Zwift? I am going to try the free 14 day trial. The Ant+ dongle I needed came with my daughters vivofit so I should be good to go. Going to try it out this afternoon.

Originally posted by b2b14 If anyone uses garmin connect we have a BDAS group.

2016-01-01 11:06 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm in! Will write more tonight.

I'm on my way to meet a crazy friend to ski. It's -12 on the car dashboard.

This might turn into Guiness at the bar...
2016-01-01 12:24 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

Hi if you are still in need of some beer drinkers then I would like to join this group!

NAME: Bert

STORY: Short version: I'm Belgian 32years, live in French Jura mountains, work in Switzerland. Have been trail running on and off last 4 years. finished 32km/2500m+ in the alps 3 few times. injured myself trying to finish a 50km/4000m+. If you want the long version I'll write it in another post.

FAMILY STATUS: Maried for 6 years, 3 children all girls (6y and 1.5y old twins)

CURRENT TRAINING: no running foot injury seeing specialist on january 11th, swimming 2 times per week 700m to 1.3k (could do 25m freestyle before the summer), indoor biking to be started after my christmas break

2015 RACES: relay spint triathlon du mont-blanc (I did the run, this is I got bit by the triathlon bug)

The Plan for 2016: local sprint 6 july (individual start), 20 august propably triathlon du mont-blanc sprint and main goal oly distance evergreen endurance 10 september

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Beer Chimay, Koninck, Seef-bier, hope to get my hands on a case of west-vleteren once

WEIGHT LOSS: Just a few kilos to loose nothing special

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: Got 8 cases of Belgian beer in the garage in different degrees of emptiness.

SCHOL!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6322 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17376 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.