BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-05-25 9:21 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
I am at 269.0 for mid-week. Usually where I fall apart on diet is the weekend...

This is going to be an interesting weekend. Amy is going out of town with the kids to visit family. I am unable to go since I have to work on Friday, Sunday and Monday. She is going to be gone for 5-7 days, and I've hatched an evil little plan:

Diet-wise, the plan is to veg-out. I plan to stock up on salad fixins and if I feel the urge to snack, to try to head that way. Even if I have more dressing than normal, overall it'll be healthier than pretty much anything else I would grab...

I jumped on the Memphis Hightailer page and checked out group rides. Now, since I live in AR, I generally don't have the time to get out to most of these rides since they're generally on the east side of Memphis. Plus it's more time away from family. But, I found myself a few rides to try to hit while the family is gone:

Saturday @ 0800: 27-50mi depending on if I need to take shortcuts.
Sunday @ 1730: 18.5mi. Going to shift my work schedule back an hour and ride after work.
Monday @ 1800: 13-20mi depending on which speed group I jump in with.
Tue/Wed: There are rides at 1800. Depending on how I feel, and whether or not the fam is back, I could very well join up with them as well!

All of these are slower rides (12-16mph) than I'm used to, but I think closer to my ability at the moment. I can't wait to get my spin on!

2016-05-26 7:46 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. I have had an odd training week. Volunteered at the race I was supposed to be doing. That was fun. I got a 24 mile trail ride in getting to the T2 area and back. This was a first time race and the volunteer coordinator was not great. Not a lot of people knew what they were supposed to be doing. The race was good, though. I am glad I didn't have to ride, though. The winds were fierce.

Then, my friend who was doing IM Chatanooga 70.3 had a terrible bike accident and had emergency surgery to replace her clavicle. She also had 3 broken ribs, a punctured lung and fractured scapula. She was alone in the hospital, being from Illinois she was all alone. I took Tuesday and went over there to check on things. Her Mom flew in to help her out and help her get home. Dang, it took a lot to get that family in action. Her other friends from Illinois and I were prepared to shuttle her home.

Now we are getting ready for our 3 day Memorial Day event here. A gathering that has happened now for 30 years, since college graduation Then, next Wednesday, i fly down to Fla to drive my Mom back up here for the summer. A lot of prep getting her place ready for her, too. Oh ya... and the yard...

All that spells little training and i refuse to get on the scale until after I get back from Fla. I am getting alot of activity, but not much training. It happens like this every year.

2016-05-26 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I am at 269.0 for mid-week. Usually where I fall apart on diet is the weekend... This is going to be an interesting weekend. Amy is going out of town with the kids to visit family. I am unable to go since I have to work on Friday, Sunday and Monday. She is going to be gone for 5-7 days, and I've hatched an evil little plan: Diet-wise, the plan is to veg-out. I plan to stock up on salad fixins and if I feel the urge to snack, to try to head that way. Even if I have more dressing than normal, overall it'll be healthier than pretty much anything else I would grab... I jumped on the Memphis Hightailer page and checked out group rides. Now, since I live in AR, I generally don't have the time to get out to most of these rides since they're generally on the east side of Memphis. Plus it's more time away from family. But, I found myself a few rides to try to hit while the family is gone: Saturday @ 0800: 27-50mi depending on if I need to take shortcuts. Sunday @ 1730: 18.5mi. Going to shift my work schedule back an hour and ride after work. Monday @ 1800: 13-20mi depending on which speed group I jump in with. Tue/Wed: There are rides at 1800. Depending on how I feel, and whether or not the fam is back, I could very well join up with them as well! All of these are slower rides (12-16mph) than I'm used to, but I think closer to my ability at the moment. I can't wait to get my spin on!

Both those plans sound great.

Edited by ceilidh 2016-05-26 2:57 PM
2016-05-26 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I am at 269.0 for mid-week. Usually where I fall apart on diet is the weekend...

This is going to be an interesting weekend. Amy is going out of town with the kids to visit family. I am unable to go since I have to work on Friday, Sunday and Monday. She is going to be gone for 5-7 days, and I've hatched an evil little plan:

Diet-wise, the plan is to veg-out. I plan to stock up on salad fixins and if I feel the urge to snack, to try to head that way. Even if I have more dressing than normal, overall it'll be healthier than pretty much anything else I would grab...

I jumped on the Memphis Hightailer page and checked out group rides. Now, since I live in AR, I generally don't have the time to get out to most of these rides since they're generally on the east side of Memphis. Plus it's more time away from family. But, I found myself a few rides to try to hit while the family is gone:

Saturday @ 0800: 27-50mi depending on if I need to take shortcuts.
Sunday @ 1730: 18.5mi. Going to shift my work schedule back an hour and ride after work.
Monday @ 1800: 13-20mi depending on which speed group I jump in with.
Tue/Wed: There are rides at 1800. Depending on how I feel, and whether or not the fam is back, I could very well join up with them as well!

All of these are slower rides (12-16mph) than I'm used to, but I think closer to my ability at the moment. I can't wait to get my spin on!

Looks like you're having a bit of a training camp at home this weekend. Looks like a great and productive plan.
Good luck with it.
2016-05-26 4:29 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh

Hey all. I have had an odd training week. Volunteered at the race I was supposed to be doing. That was fun. I got a 24 mile trail ride in getting to the T2 area and back. This was a first time race and the volunteer coordinator was not great. Not a lot of people knew what they were supposed to be doing. The race was good, though. I am glad I didn't have to ride, though. The winds were fierce.

Then, my friend who was doing IM Chatanooga 70.3 had a terrible bike accident and had emergency surgery to replace her clavicle. She also had 3 broken ribs, a punctured lung and fractured scapula. She was alone in the hospital, being from Illinois she was all alone. I took Tuesday and went over there to check on things. Her Mom flew in to help her out and help her get home. Dang, it took a lot to get that family in action. Her other friends from Illinois and I were prepared to shuttle her home.

Now we are getting ready for our 3 day Memorial Day event here. A gathering that has happened now for 30 years, since college graduation Then, next Wednesday, i fly down to Fla to drive my Mom back up here for the summer. A lot of prep getting her place ready for her, too. Oh ya... and the yard...

All that spells little training and i refuse to get on the scale until after I get back from Fla. I am getting alot of activity, but not much training. It happens like this every year.

Hope your friend has a full and quick recovery.
2016-05-26 4:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Originally posted by bulfrog

How's your 5k training going?

The event organizers sent out a training plan that I'm following. It was pretty close to what I was doing but decided to follow the event plan for a bit of variety. Today's run is 6 minutes run / 1 minute walk x 3. I'm finishing each session feeling that I can do more but have shown restraint by sticking to the plan.

Restraint is the key to run training. Whilst it is true that more is more. More to quickly is injury, which is not good. I guess that the end goal of the plan has you running the 5k with no walk breaks?

2016-05-26 4:34 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
We are well and truly in winter now. It's been a cold, wet and windy week so far.

My week to date has been 3 runs; 2 easy and 1 long. And a pretty poor diet.
The rest of my week should consist of another 2 easy runs, and hopefully a break in the weather on Sunday lets me go for a bike ride. And of course some better diet choices.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2016-05-29 10:55 AM

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Well this week was hit and miss...

Weight: 270.5 (+.5)
I ate a few things I wasn't supposed to and the weather didn't cooperate at the end of the week. Throw in a trilogy (will explain) and I'm not unhappy with gaining .5lb

Swim: Nope. Thunderstorms on Friday kind of killed that idea.
Bike: 6.8mi on the trainer. This was mostly my fault. I should have made the time for trainer time on Thurs. I didn't on Fri because I thought I was going on a long ride Sat. The ride on Saturday didn't happen due to the lingering weather... where I am at fault is that I was going to ride the greenline to at least get some distance in and... I tossed the Hobbit trilogy in the DVD and next thing I knew it was 7pm.
Run: 2 C25k runs for 2.02mi and 2.02mi. I missed my third run due to lazy. At least I did take :06 off my time on the 2nd run...

Okay. Bike is in the van and I am leaving work an hour early (with the boss' blessing) for the Rest'er Day Ride out in Collierville TN. It's listed at 20-25mi @ 14-17mph and while the map shows elevation gain, nothing is listed at more than 3%.
2016-05-29 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Me:  (Long story of what I believe is causing the anxiety that is causing the chest pains.)
RNNP:  You realize that he is killing you, don't you?

Started Lexapro last Monday, but have Ativan for immediate, short-term relief until Lexapro is fully functional, usually about 3-4 weeks.

In the meantime, light work, nothing real strenuous and probably no Lumberjack tri in August.  It seems I have shot back up to 390, and my blood pressure is just under the 140/90 threshold.  I'm supposed to take and record readings twice a day for two weeks.  Have I told you that I hate my USIL?

2016-05-29 5:55 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa
probably no Lumberjack tri in August. 

Mate, a triathlon in August is not really a priority for you right now.

Get healthy. Then worry about your tri career.

In the mean time, watch what you eat. You can, and should lose weight with diet and no exercise. And dropping some weight will be a big help for you when you get the all clear to train again. And of course it's good for you!

But exercise is good for stress relief, it's one of the best things you can do (This is from someone who has dealt with anxiety and depression in his past) Exercise can be better than any drug. So although you have been told to take it easy, it's not a pass to just sit on the sofa. Get out the door, go walking, take the dog to the beach, or an easy bush walk or something. Go somewhere nice and relaxing and have a walk. Just make sure you keep the effort levels nice and low.
2016-05-30 1:59 AM

User image

Hi All

I've lost my enthusiasm for training and I've put on all the weight I've lost so far this year. I won't bore you with excuses.

I'm currently 213 lb and plan to be 200 lb by 30 June. There you go, I've called it publicly to raise my accountability. Stand by for weekly updates and updating my training log daily.

2016-05-30 8:22 AM

User image

Mike:

As usual, bulfrog is on point here.

Get your diet in order, let the meds take full effect, and if you feel you must have some sort of physical activity in there, slow walks and easy swims would fit the bill.

We are all here for you.
2016-06-01 2:43 PM

User image

May's totals:

Swim: 4h 04m 25s - 9350 Yd
Bike: 8h 58m 22s - 107.41 Mi
Run: 4h 32m 22s - 20.93 Mi
Strength: 3h 02m Device Upload: 1h 30m

Gained 2.0 pounds this month, a little frustrating but I know why. Although, I am swimming and riding faster than a month ago, and my weight training is progressing nicely. Now I need to get my running down. Still not sure why I am struggling to just go run, but I am. Have HM this weekend and it will be a test to see if I am speeding up despite not running too much.

June's going to be a better month for the weight loss or I am going to be confused with a large mammal that is a fish at the beach. Otherwise, everything is going pretty well. I will be strictly training after my HM this weekend and my whole goal is to get stronger, leaner and stay injury free. The weather has finally turned hot (it is suppose to be over 100 here this weekend). I actually do not mind training in the heat. I sweat standing still in a snow storm. So, the heat usually does me good.

Keep tracking, and Have Fun!
2016-06-01 3:51 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Rod, I can SO relate to what you are feeling.  But try to remember that while we may suffer occasional setbacks, we are never beaten unless WE choose to quit.

John, good luck with the HM.  I'm betting adrenaline gives you that little boost you are looking for.

As for me, I went for a quiet, gentle two mile walk with Samson. Absolutely no electronics, and I think I'm going to keep it that way until at least after the stress test the RNNP ordered.  1½ student days left and then I have no choice but to be home around the USIL.  The greatest danger then will be one of two things; (1) over-training in an effort to stay away from him longer, or (2) getting so PO'd that I unleash and beat him senseless.  Wait.  That would imply that he had some sense t beat out of him in the first place.  Never mind.  I guess only #1 is a viable option.

2016-06-01 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by johndiaz00

May's totals:

Swim: 4h 04m 25s - 9350 Yd
Bike: 8h 58m 22s - 107.41 Mi
Run: 4h 32m 22s - 20.93 Mi
Strength: 3h 02m Device Upload: 1h 30m

Gained 2.0 pounds this month, a little frustrating but I know why. Although, I am swimming and riding faster than a month ago, and my weight training is progressing nicely. Now I need to get my running down. Still not sure why I am struggling to just go run, but I am. Have HM this weekend and it will be a test to see if I am speeding up despite not running too much.

June's going to be a better month for the weight loss or I am going to be confused with a large mammal that is a fish at the beach. Otherwise, everything is going pretty well. I will be strictly training after my HM this weekend and my whole goal is to get stronger, leaner and stay injury free. The weather has finally turned hot (it is suppose to be over 100 here this weekend). I actually do not mind training in the heat. I sweat standing still in a snow storm. So, the heat usually does me good.

Keep tracking, and Have Fun!

Good luck for your HM on the weekend. But make sure not too mush too hard.

4 and a half hours running for the month prior is not a huge amount, so have fun, but take care not to get injured.
2016-06-01 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hi All

I've lost my enthusiasm for training and I've put on all the weight I've lost so far this year. I won't bore you with excuses.

I'm currently 213 lb and plan to be 200 lb by 30 June. There you go, I've called it publicly to raise my accountability. Stand by for weekly updates and updating my training log daily.

The winter blues are crap. I'm also up on weight and down on training hours.

How about some sort of winter challenge... for those of us on the right side of the world

I've seen other forums have a winter running challenge, hours vs degrees somehow. are you keen?

2016-06-01 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

1½ student days left and then I have no choice but to be home around the USIL.  The greatest danger then will be one of two things; (1) over-training in an effort to stay away from him longer, or (2) getting so PO'd that I unleash and beat him senseless.  Wait.  That would imply that he had some sense t beat out of him in the first place.  Never mind.  I guess only #1 is a viable option.

Instead of over training, you just have to drive to where your training takes place. I'm sure you can find a nice spot to walk an hour drive away

besides, beating him up would raise your heart rate anyhow, so you may as well have gone for the bike instead.
2016-06-01 8:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My summary for May.

In a word, poor.

Swim = zero
Bike = 70.9 km 3:01:53
Run = 125.7 km 14:17:42

And weight, well, I gained around 5lbs through a combination of low training and terrible meal choices.

I'm looking forward to a better month, when I make smarter choices in the kitchen, and more effort training. Really, I just have to get out the door more often.
2016-06-02 5:16 AM

User image

Hi All

The winter blues are crap. I'm also up on weight and down on training hours.

How about some sort of winter challenge... for those of us on the right side of the world

I've seen other forums have a winter running challenge, hours vs degrees somehow. are you keen?

Work out the details and let me know. I'll be sticking to my plan but the cross Tasman banter is good fun
2016-06-02 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Work out the details and let me know. I'll be sticking to my plan but the cross Tasman banter is good fun

The challenge I was thinking of is http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

the rules, taken directly from what they did is as follows:

The scoring rules have been handed down from antiquity and are as follows....

Wind factor
light winds from 5 - 10 mph 1 Point
medium winds 11 -19 mph 2 Points
20+ 4 Points

Temp factors
30-35 .5 points
25-29 1 Point
15-24 3 Points
1-14 5 Points
0 and below 8 Points

Precipitation
Drizzle/Light Snow 1 Point
Medium Rain/Snow 2 Points
Heavy Rain/Snow 3 Points

Bike Bonus - 1 point for outdoor ride sub 40 degrees

Polar Bear Challenge 5 Points

Suck-o-meter scoring

Time in minutes x (Temp mult+Wind mult+precip mult+ Bike Bonus)= Suckitude score

Scoring starts with temperature - if your event does not gain you temperature points you get no points for the event Bike gets you points at 39 degrees or less and all other activities get you points at 35 or less. Once you get temperature points you can add the other factors in to get your point total for that activity. Minimum of 20 minutes for an event to count.

Happy a Craptastic Winter everyone and be safe!!!

What sort of temperatures do you get in winter where you are? Im thinking that we'd need to adjust temps a bit to get a usable range for us
2016-06-03 11:38 AM

User image

I like that scoring system, but do they have one for Summer, we get over 105 F (37 C+) today and this weekend. Summer is starting off with a bang a little bit with the weekend predicting to be over 100 all weekend. I am hoping for a mild Summer where it stays in the highs around 90, but it will all the good old jet stream.

I may actually start scoring my races this way as a way to kind of keep track of how the environment played a factor.

LOVE IT.

Have a great weekend,

John

2016-06-03 7:30 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by johndiaz00 I like that scoring system, but do they have one for Summer, we get over 105 F (37 C+) today and this weekend. Summer is starting off with a bang a little bit with the weekend predicting to be over 100 all weekend. I am hoping for a mild Summer where it stays in the highs around 90, but it will all the good old jet stream. I may actually start scoring my races this way as a way to kind of keep track of how the environment played a factor. LOVE IT. Have a great weekend, John

John, They did at one time have one for summer. Temps and humidity combined. I'll look it up.

2016-06-05 5:11 PM

User image

The challenge I was thinking of is http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

the rules, taken directly from what they did is as follows:

The scoring rules have been handed down from antiquity and are as follows....

Wind factor
light winds from 5 - 10 mph 1 Point
medium winds 11 -19 mph 2 Points
20+ 4 Points

Temp factors
30-35 .5 points
25-29 1 Point
15-24 3 Points
1-14 5 Points
0 and below 8 Points

Precipitation
Drizzle/Light Snow 1 Point
Medium Rain/Snow 2 Points
Heavy Rain/Snow 3 Points

Bike Bonus - 1 point for outdoor ride sub 40 degrees

Polar Bear Challenge 5 Points

Suck-o-meter scoring

Time in minutes x (Temp mult+Wind mult+precip mult+ Bike Bonus)= Suckitude score

Scoring starts with temperature - if your event does not gain you temperature points you get no points for the event Bike gets you points at 39 degrees or less and all other activities get you points at 35 or less. Once you get temperature points you can add the other factors in to get your point total for that activity. Minimum of 20 minutes for an event to count.

Happy a Craptastic Winter everyone and be safe!!!

What sort of temperatures do you get in winter where you are? Im thinking that we'd need to adjust temps a bit to get a usable range for us

Hey Bulfrog,

I don't think that this will work for me. I'm doing 3 runs a week. 2 of them are on the treadmill as it is easier on my knees.

I had some activity each day except for Friday which is my rest day. 2 runs, 1 bike ride, 2 gym & 1 game of golf. Nothing intense but covered the need to keep moving.

I lost 3 lbs during the week so I'm happy with that.

Rod

2016-06-06 7:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

*Smacks self in the back of the head, Gibbs-style*

I really need to pull my head out of my arse. I pretty much fell off the wagon, looked at it, and blew the $%*&ing thing up with an RPG...

I have no idea what my weight is, and at the moment I could care less. My focus need to be on: Swim. Bike. Run.

If you look at my sig, I am changing my race to something sooner... and for financial reasons, closer to home. Plus, I've always wanted to run this one *geek*

I'll post details later, but I jumped in the pool for the first time with my coach... and he wore my butt out... I have a LOT of work to do to achieve more than just exiting the water alive.

*edit*
Got the details:
200 WU
100 Catch-up drill w/buoy
100 kicking w/fins & kickboard
100 6/3/6 drill
200 FS w/fins
200 FS w/o fins
50 sculling

Total: 950 yds

Edited by WebFootFreak 2016-06-06 8:54 AM
2016-06-06 5:03 PM

User image

Well So and all of that, I ran my HM this weekend. Although I did not PR, I ran a faster HM than my previous one. So, I am progressing. This one was downhill race and fast. I was expecting at least a bump in my time, but it is a long enough downhill that you start to experience problems with running that long downhill. Also the temperature at race end was +90F (someone told me it was over 100, but I cannot support that fact). I can say it was hot. I run with a UD pack and carry two 16oz bottles on me. Both were used and that is with getting water at every stop. I did see some unfortunate souls hurting quite badly with heat related problems. But guess what a race in early June in Fontana, CA is going to be friggen hot. SO, be prepared.

All that being said I ran a 2:36.36 which was 9:26 faster than the HM on May 1st. I know I have to get faster in my run to complete a 70.3 and I am focusing my efforts on strengthening myself for that over the next couple of months. My splits were:

1 9:58.0
2 10:21
3 10:37
4 11:27
5 1:45.9 OOPS TAPPED LAP Button on Accident
6 11:40
7 11:41
8 11:45
9 12:01
10 12:05
11 12:34
12 12:04
13 12:54
14 14:58
15 0:26.4

The heat did get to me near the end. It was fun race and will do it again. I am more sore today than I am usually two days out from a race. I believe it is more from the downhill than anything else. Although I did Paddle Board and Kayak that afternoon at a 3 year olds Birthday party.

I plan on not running another race till September, but train my butt off the rest of Summer. I am going on vacation in August and after that will make my Fall plans for racing.

Originally posted by johndiaz00

I like that scoring system, but do they have one for Summer, we get over 105 F (37 C+) today and this weekend. Summer is starting off with a bang a little bit with the weekend predicting to be over 100 all weekend. I am hoping for a mild Summer where it stays in the highs around 90, but it will all the good old jet stream.

I may actually start scoring my races this way as a way to kind of keep track of how the environment played a factor.

LOVE IT.

Have a great weekend,

John

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41246 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54391 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2108 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8711 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?