BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-07-18 4:33 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
You Did it!!! You Finished, and Yes Survived. This is where I get to remind you that your in the 1%. Less than 1% actually can say they did even close to what you did. I understand bad races, I have had my fair share.

BUT You DID IT!

Thank you for sharing.

I also love you attitude about next year, part of all this exercise stuff, is the fact that we will live on and do it again, and again and again. Stay positive, learn from mistakes, and know that there is a tomorrow.

Have Fun Always,

J

2016-07-18 8:37 PM
in reply to: #5191234

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I appreciate it John. I'm thankful that I've always managed to cross the line. This race was actually worse than my first which I did with a torn calf :P

Now it's about buckling back down, losing the weight again and hitting my training.
2016-07-19 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I can sum up my event yesterday in 2 words: I survived. I've logged everything and filed a basic report, so I guess now is the time for the story Before I get started, I am fully aware that my lack of training as well as lack of overall fitness were the #1 reason yesterday ended up as bad as it did. There were a couple of extra wrenches thrown into the works, but only because I think that Mr Murphy gets off on stuff like that :p I got up with no issues, got everything together that I needed that morning, grabbed a bite to eat, water, etc and took off for Forrest City 35-40mins away. I got to T2 and dropped my shoes, number and Gu before it officially opened, but they were okay with that. Jumped back in the van and took off for T1. When I got there, I found out we were parking about 3/4mi away and had to hike in... uphill I might add. I got everything set up in an out of the way location (i stay out of the way of those actually competing) and that's when Mr Murphy's "Nothing New" rule kicked me in the gut. I've used Skratch before, but not the flavor I grabbed: Mango. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm pretty sure that if I had filled up in the port-o-let it would have tasted better. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have dumped it for some of of the plain water at T1, or even rode back down to the van and filled it from my water bottle there. I did a lot of pacing and worrying... and that just doesn't set a good tone for the day. Swim- 587yds, 17:18.48 (3:13/100 pace). This is a full :45/100 under my normal swim times. I dove in, and got water in my goggles... hard to fix that treading water. Then I took off for the first buoy. I can honestly say my tracking was spot-on for the duration. However, about 200yd in, my shoulder started screaming at me. I pushed through it by rotating a full 90 degrees when my right arm came out of the water so I wouldn't have to use the full range of motion. I also had breathing issues. This is something new. My chest got tight and any breath just didnt... work... for lack of a better word. I'd sidestroke for :10-:15 and get back to it. About halfway between the 2nd buoy and the exit, my cap popped off my head. I grabbed it right quick and stuffed it in my shorts. Didn't need a penalty for lost gear. I was definitely feeling it when I got out of the water and trudged uphill to T1. T1- 3:00.48. Slow. I noticed that I forgot a towel. Getting a shirt on a wet torso with one arm, and socks on wet feet is a ton of fun... and time consuming. Walked to the mount, missed clipping in twice and finally took off. Bike- 58:06.63 (13.42mph avg) I am upset at this number, but at the same time, I'm not. I knew I was going to be slow, and I knew the hills were going to kill me. I was just delusional as to how bad. Where I live, I have to travel at least 30mins before I find any sort of hills, but I figured that since I finally had my FDR sorted out, I'd be okayish... yeah-no. There were 4 big climbs (for me) on this route. The first was the worst (steepest and longest). it came right after a 90 degree turn. I was in my lowest gear "walking" the bike up the hill. I never got out of the pedals, but after every downward stroke, I'd stop for just a sec to get on top of the other pedal. I had to take my sunglasses off because I fogged them up. The 2nd and 3rd hills were right after downgrades where I could build some speed, but the last was after a flat and around a curve... didn't see it coming (ugh!!). I only took in about 25% of my water. I did down a Gu at Mile 1 and 10. I only passed 1 rider the entire time, and she ended up dropping. I got passed a lot. T2- 2:01.38. Slow. I sat... well, fell... on the curb to get my shoes on, and realized that they were still tied (d'oh!). I also had trouble getting my number belt on as I was starting to shake a bit. Grabbed a gatorade and water at the aid station on the way out. Run... well, Walk- 55:55.83 (18:38/mi). If I died on the bike, then this was just a whole new level of Hell. I could live with the bad swim and even the not so good bike, but this part just crushed my soul. My legs were so far gone and my heart was beating so hard... I just had to put my head down and push forward at a walk. There are points of this leg that I just honestly do not remember. I just remember concentrating on following the white line. Also, I must have eaten my last Gu somewhere in there because I had a empty packet in my hand at the aid station. I remember getting hit with cold water (thank you Forrest City resident that had their hose out) just before the aid station at mile 2. Apparently, there was also one at mile 1 that I just completely went by. I downed another gatorade and water and trudged on. The last little bit is going around the block where all the finishers were. I know they were only trying to encourage me, but I'm ashamed to admit that their encouragement only added to how bad the event was going. I actually hated hearing my name being announced when I crossed the line. Just another ******* fat guy taking up space... Don't get me wrong. After a night's sleep, I am feeling much better about the whole situation. I'm trying to figure out a way to train for hills on my trainer and next year is going to be a different story. If I have to find a silver(ish) lining in all this, it shouldn't be hard to PR this next year, lol!!

Oh MAN! Way to power on!! You finished and that is more than some did. Next year will be so. Much. Better.

2016-07-23 9:38 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Happy Saturday.

How is everyone doing? I got one. yep, only ONE workout in this week. A nice, but short road ride. I became a grandmother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So that took up some time having to adore the most perfect little girl in the universe. Then I got a sinus infection.

We are taking a couple of days to go up to the northern mnts so hopefully I will get some hiking in.... as long as I can get this infection under control.

How is everyone?

2016-07-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: #5191430

User image

Went to the Dr yesterday. She seems to think I have a tendon strain more than an actual rotator cuff injury. The fact that I can get my hand over my head and still work (albeit in a bit of pain) makes her think, and gives me hope, that rest, exercise and stretching could be what I need.

On a different note, I am auditioning for a new job. A dealer I used to work at is promoting a service writer, and needs to fill the position. As luck would have it, they like and remember me enough to allow me to work the next few Friday and Saturdays (my normal days off) to show them what I can do. Planning on restarting biking and running tomorrow. Swimming will have to take a backseat until the shoulder is better. Not sure how the possible new job will affect training as I'd be working M-F and every other Sat.
2016-07-23 5:38 PM
in reply to: #5192262

User image

Sorry.... can't edit on phone

I almost forgot. If I get the job, the short route there is 4.8mi and the long route is about 10 mi with lots of room for adding on... Perfect to commute on bike!!

2016-07-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: #5192263

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I will keep my fingers crossed for your job. Nice benefit of being able to commute with your bike, too. Look up physical therapy for shoulder injuries and do the exercises they recommend. If you do them religiously, but not too much. I swear you will see improvements. It does take time, though.
2016-07-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: #5192324

User image

Champion
Bronze member
A sinus infection has kept me down for three days. I felt it coming on and resistance was futile. The high temp just knocked me out. I went to the walk in clinic and should be on the mend soon.
2016-07-25 1:45 PM

User image

Had a decent week this week. Went shopping with GF this weekend in 110 degree weather on Saturday. Zapped both of us pretty good. Did get a swim in on Sunday. Starting to use paddles as part of my workout, it is a nice change in my swim efforts.

Signed up for the Malibu International Distance Marathon, today September 17th. I am a little scared (not the right word). An open water swim. Otherwise, its game on. Ready to try a Tri. Looking forward to it. (Ok, really just getting that in my head, so I don't run screaming from the water in September.)

This week holds a little bit of a feel of a rest week coming. Easy ride on Wednesday, and long ride Saturday. Going to set myself up to run after my ride for 10k. I want to see what kind of legs I have after riding. I have 3 weeks till I go to Hawaii on vacation. As I get closer to that, I feel like I am prepping for a race. Getting my weight down and getting my speed up.

Get better all, No more sinus infections or hurt shoulders allowed. (really hoping for the best for both of you).

2016-08-02 4:26 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. How are things going?

I am still sinus-infected and pissed about it.

2016-08-03 11:39 AM

User image

Just updated my log. I've been running only, but that's my weakest link by far. Also, as of yesterday, I have officially been offered the job I've been auditioning for. This will get me out of the shop (and away from this company ), and in a less physically demanding role. On that note, the shoulder is feeling much better, but I'm not going to start hopping in the water or go full-blown on training until I get this new schedule ironed out.

2016-08-04 10:47 AM

User image

Started a 100 mile challenge this month with a group of friends. We post nightly how many miles we walked/ran, and we get credit for any workouts or exercising we do during the month of August. This is to promote us getting out in the world during the hottest month of the year. So Far I have already logged 22 Miles logged and its only the 4th. Last year I did not log mile 100th mile till the last week. There are friendly competitions going on, but it is mostly just a kick in the pants to see how far you go. Like most of this endurance stuff, it is a race against yourself.

I am super excited that I am officially below 225 in my weight, since March I have lost 15 pounds. My goal is still to get below 200. At 5'9" that is do able, but will take some extra effort on my part.

With all of that said, I am planning a nice swim this afternoon, a run tomorrow, and a ride Saturday morning with my group. In ten day, I will be in Hawaii, and so needing and looking forward to this vacation. I can't wait to swim in the Ocean and it not be freezing cold.

Have Fun All,

2016-08-09 2:35 AM

User image

Hi All

Still hanging around but not much training at all despite best intentions. My new job is very taxing physically and sometimes it feels like I'm doing an 8 hour cross fit session. At least I'm keeping fit and the weight is stable. My roster is starting to stabilize so that I can now schedule some training sessions.

Hope everybody is well and chasing / achieving their goals.

14 weeks to my first tri for the season, time to get serious.
2016-08-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey there.

VERY quiet here. I hope it is because everyone is training and enjoying summer.

I have been busy with life stuff and getting back into the swing of some training. My Mom living here in the summer takes a lot of time (Note: I am NOT complaining about that. She is 88 and still is able to enjoy lots of life). The new Grand kid is taking up some sweet time, too. (Also no complaints )

Hope everyone is doing well.

2016-08-17 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by johndiaz00 Started a 100 mile challenge this month with a group of friends. We post nightly how many miles we walked/ran, and we get credit for any workouts or exercising we do during the month of August. This is to promote us getting out in the world during the hottest month of the year. So Far I have already logged 22 Miles logged and its only the 4th. Last year I did not log mile 100th mile till the last week. There are friendly competitions going on, but it is mostly just a kick in the pants to see how far you go. Like most of this endurance stuff, it is a race against yourself. I am super excited that I am officially below 225 in my weight, since March I have lost 15 pounds. My goal is still to get below 200. At 5'9" that is do able, but will take some extra effort on my part. With all of that said, I am planning a nice swim this afternoon, a run tomorrow, and a ride Saturday morning with my group. In ten day, I will be in Hawaii, and so needing and looking forward to this vacation. I can't wait to swim in the Ocean and it not be freezing cold. Have Fun All,

Hope you are killing the step challenge. I also hope you are enjoying Hawaii for me as well. I have never been.

2016-08-17 7:42 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Hi All Still hanging around but not much training at all despite best intentions. My new job is very taxing physically and sometimes it feels like I'm doing an 8 hour cross fit session. At least I'm keeping fit and the weight is stable. My roster is starting to stabilize so that I can now schedule some training sessions. Hope everybody is well and chasing / achieving their goals. 14 weeks to my first tri for the season, time to get serious.

I hope the job is still going well.

2016-09-03 1:08 PM

User image

I'm still alive... and that's about it, lol!!

The new job is kicking my butt. I'm loving the job itself, but the hours are murder. We're on a rotating schedule. I work 61 hours 1 week and 50 the next. When I get home at night, I am wiped out and my training has been suffering for it. Hopefully I can start getting in a rhythm again and maybe get a little training in each week.
2016-09-09 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all,

See that the group says "open", if that is the case I'd like to jump in. I recognize some of you from being on BT for a few years now.

Am a 57 yr old, overweight female. Married, one child just started college, one more going next year. My time is opening up.

Spent years lifting weights and have been working on slimming down to a leaner, endurance body. I've done some sprints and an oly in 2015. Always pulling up the rear.
Usually start training in spring and am barely ready in the summer. Notice that the triathletes in my local club never seem to be out of shape, they train most of the year. So many are IM's, it's intimidating.

So I am committing to a HIM in June 2017. Started training this week. Doing a sprint plan to get in shape for the HIM plan.

I've lost lots of weight with a low carb diet, but added back healthy carbs and found myself feeling out of control cravings and was back to eating chips/junk. I'm 5'1" and 25# overweight.

I'm starting again with a low cal, lower carb diet and plan on adding the calories spent training (as per myfitnesspal app). Basically fruits and oatmeal before and after workouts. Hope it works.

I find support all over BT, but would like to be in a group that is focused on weight and I noticed references to weekly challenges. Did a quick look, but didn't see if people report their weight loss or not here.

Regards,
Mitzi
2016-09-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Hi all, See that the group says "open", if that is the case I'd like to jump in. I recognize some of you from being on BT for a few years now. Am a 57 yr old, overweight female. Married, one child just started college, one more going next year. My time is opening up. Spent years lifting weights and have been working on slimming down to a leaner, endurance body. I've done some sprints and an oly in 2015. Always pulling up the rear. Usually start training in spring and am barely ready in the summer. Notice that the triathletes in my local club never seem to be out of shape, they train most of the year. So many are IM's, it's intimidating. So I am committing to a HIM in June 2017. Started training this week. Doing a sprint plan to get in shape for the HIM plan. I've lost lots of weight with a low carb diet, but added back healthy carbs and found myself feeling out of control cravings and was back to eating chips/junk. I'm 5'1" and 25# overweight. I'm starting again with a low cal, lower carb diet and plan on adding the calories spent training (as per myfitnesspal app). Basically fruits and oatmeal before and after workouts. Hope it works. I find support all over BT, but would like to be in a group that is focused on weight and I noticed references to weekly challenges. Did a quick look, but didn't see if people report their weight loss or not here. Regards, Mitzi
Welcome Mitzi. We have gotten kind of slow here on posting. We tend to do a Sunday (or Monday) summary of our workouts, how the week went and our food intake. Wt up or down is how we roll.

It has been a rollercoster week for me emotionally. Some good, then BAM, by beautiful puppy of 11 years died. At least we were with her and she wasn't in pain. OH I miss her!!!!!!!!!!!

Today was some good. I did my first ever gravel race (or in my case, ride). I did okay and it was really fun.

2016-09-21 10:59 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Welcome,

It has slowed down here over the Summer, but it is a good group.

John
2016-09-21 11:01 AM

User image

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I did my first Olympic distance. I can truly say I am really happy with my results. I know I need to get faster with my run, and I know it will take actually running more. But I was pretty darn happy with it.

John

2016-09-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

Hello All!

I was wondering if it's too late to join this group?!

I am a newbie to the Tri world! I have been interested for years but never really took the leap. Now I think I am ready. I am 51 years old and definitely a Clydesdale -always have been. In February I finally decided that I need to change. Since then I have lost over 40 pounds (still weighing in over 220) and I need to drop another 10-15lbs. Unfortunately the weight loss has come to a slow crawl (mostly my fault and a lack of discipline) I have worked my way up to running 4-5 miles four times a week and recently bought a road bike.

Unfortunately, I travel a lot for work and many times its unexpected so it will make my riding and swimming a bit unpredictable. My goals are to lose the extra weight, complete a sprint and a an oly next summer. My immediate goal is to build a solid base that will allow me to meet next years goals.

I am very interested in learning from folks who have had the same challenges that I face!

Look forward to meeting you all!

Bill
2016-09-25 9:58 PM
in reply to: #5192325

User image

Welcome!

It's been a bit slow around here lately.
2016-09-26 10:09 PM

Perfect,,,,because I am slow too!
2016-10-09 2:19 AM
in reply to: Troop4415

User image

Hi All,

I've been missing for a while, hope you're all well.

I've been inactive training wise for the last 6 months, mainly due to work commitments. I did manage a 5KM fun run without any training but while I was happy with my time I pulled up pretty sore. I've been an "IT guy" for the last 20 years but been in semi retirement recently. My last job was completely different for me, manual labor, on my feet all day in big heavy safety boots. I'd get home and be too tired to train. That's all about to change as I'm no longer working in that role (my choice).

There are some races mid November but I don't think I'll be ready in time so I'm focusing on my first race in January. Looking forward to working up a sweat once again.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41234 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54380 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2108 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8710 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?