BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-01-17 12:17 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Hi All, It's been a reasonable week for me training. I had 3 gym sessions, 2 runs and 1 bike session. I backed off on the running this week as my right knee was feeling a bit sore. I'm enjoying training with a fitness group each Tuesday night; we meet at the local boat ramp, go along the boardwalk and then up and down a series of 7 flights of steps over an hour. There are approximately 500 steps. I walk and do each flight once while others run and do 2 or 3 sets of each flight. I've been very pleased with my running progress over the last month. I'm following a run / walk program from Runners World magazine and it works for me. During the week I signed up for a race in November 2016. I feel my training now has a purpose as I have made the commitment to the race. Hi alburyscott, good to have another Aussie. I'm in Melbourne. leatherneckpa, Congrats on the new job RunnyBunny, It must be incredibly hard to train while working rotating night shifts. I used to do that and felt like a zombie half the time. I'm planning to start swimming this week. It's my weakest leg and I need to concentrate on it more. Hope you all have a good week.

Good work. That stair workout looks heinous. Having a race goal really helps with accountability.

2016-01-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Still here, still nada... Weight: 271.5 (+1) Real life has been kicking me in the shins lately. I've not told the whole story about what's going on, and I'm not going to give too many details now. Suffice it to say that my 16yr old is spending time in a place where he can be watched 24/7. Things are starting to turn around and a lot of progress has been made, but it's killing both me and Amy to see him like this. Honestly, the girls miss him terribly too... At this point, I'm not sure when I'll be jumping back on the horse... but I'm keeping the saddle conditioned and ready to go.

Damn! I hate that for you and your family. I hope things turn around fast. Hang in there.

2016-01-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by alburyscott Yay for Aussies. I am actually in melbourne for a 3 day seminar every 6 weeks for the next two years (don't ask, Im too old for that crap), maybe we can go for a swim sometime when I am there. So while I am here, a couple of questions if I may. Do any of you use a gps/hrm watch? What do you like about it? Thanks in advance

I use a Tom Tom multi sport watch. It is good for swims (indoor it counts laps, outdoor I use it in RUN mode to map how far). Biking and running outside are great with it. I love knowing my speed and the elevation along with the distance of  my run. It is good for races to see how far you are going. I like the real time pace info. If you are trying to keep an average pace, it shows that. This one is even good on the treadmill, after calibration. I had a Garmin, but the satellites were not great for it where i live. Sometimes it took 15 minutes into my run to start up. Not good. Other folks swear by them.

2016-01-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
WebFootFreak, I am very sorry to hear that. It must suck. I hope you are all ok
2016-01-17 8:25 PM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Didn't quite get this week 100% done, I missed 2 swims, but otherwise everything got ticked off.

Swim, 1 pool swim, 1 OWS for 2,100m, 42 minutes
Bike, 1 trainer ride, 2 outside rides, 101km, 4 hours 22
Run, 5 runs, 37km, 4 hours 25

For a total of 9 hours 29 minutes this week.

Only 4 training weeks to go. So next week has to be bigger still!
2016-01-17 8:26 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Life just got a lot better today, but I suspect it will become much more complicated as well.

I interviewed today for an opening teaching Science for the rest of the school year, and I got it. So now I have to contend with trying to fit workouts around a job that takes me at least 60 hours a week to do it right. And that is not including commuting time. I believe any plans I had for two-a-days just became restricted to weekends only.

Guess it's a good thing I had deleted my HIM from this year's schedule.

Congratulations on the job Mike. I'm sure you'll find a way to get workouts in. You just need to think creatively about the problem (doesn't that sound like something a teacher would say)

2016-01-17 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Still here, still nada...

Weight: 271.5 (+1)

Real life has been kicking me in the shins lately. I've not told the whole story about what's going on, and I'm not going to give too many details now.

Mate, tris are a hobby for all of us, not work. It's supposed to be fun, and not supposed to get in the way of important things.

It sounds like you have way more important stuff to be focused on at the moment, and I wish you and your family nothing but the best in getting through.

When you're ready to get back on the saddle, we'll be here for you.
2016-01-17 8:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by alburyscott Yay for Aussies. I am actually in melbourne for a 3 day seminar every 6 weeks for the next two years (don't ask, Im too old for that crap), maybe we can go for a swim sometime when I am there. So while I am here, a couple of questions if I may. Do any of you use a gps/hrm watch? What do you like about it? Thanks in advance

I use a Tom Tom multi sport watch. It is good for swims (indoor it counts laps, outdoor I use it in RUN mode to map how far). Biking and running outside are great with it. I love knowing my speed and the elevation along with the distance of  my run. It is good for races to see how far you are going. I like the real time pace info. If you are trying to keep an average pace, it shows that. This one is even good on the treadmill, after calibration. I had a Garmin, but the satellites were not great for it where i live. Sometimes it took 15 minutes into my run to start up. Not good. Other folks swear by them.

I have garmin 920xt. it is amazing. Swim, bike, run, activity tracking, indoor/outdoor. It does it all.

They are quite expensive tho, so as a cheaper option, prior to the 920 I used a garmin forerunner 210 for running and cycling, and a stopwatch for swimming. It was also great.

I'm a numbers geek, I love my numbers, both during exercise, pace/distance travelled etc. and logging over time. It's not nesecary by any means. Bit its cool, and I wouldn't be without it.

If you want to waste some serious time, check out the DCRainmaker website, that will tell you all you need to know, and more about all the different options out there.
2016-01-18 9:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Just a quick update after my race this weekend.

We avoided the nasty weather that forced the cancellation of 2 other half marathons on the Gulf coast and had a great race.

Walked the whole race and finished in 2:59:59!

Full race report to follow soon.

Edited by cwpeters 2016-01-18 9:57 PM

(KWHM 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
KWHM 1.jpg (105KB - 10 downloads)
2016-01-19 9:09 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cwpeters Just a quick update after my race this weekend. We avoided the nasty weather that forced the cancellation of 2 other half marathons on the Gulf coast and had a great race. Walked the whole race and finished in 2:59:59! Full race report to follow soon.

Great work! Heck, I "ran" a lot of mine and finished at 3 + hours!  Glad it wasn't cancelled for you.

2016-01-19 11:27 AM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Originally posted by cwpeters

Just a quick update after my race this weekend.

We avoided the nasty weather that forced the cancellation of 2 other half marathons on the Gulf coast and had a great race.

Walked the whole race and finished in 2:59:59!

Full race report to follow soon.

Congratulations on the race. Good work! Looking forward to your race report

2016-01-19 1:06 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Happy Tuesday Everyone! Can this week be over now? It feels like Thursday.

Weekend went well. Last week I managed to get a work out in everyday, but I missed one day of my run program days. I decided time with my hubby was way more important than my run, so I managed to slip in a little trainer ride instead.

Yesterday I got another ride in followed by the TRX express workout. OMG, the warmup is a work out. haha. I'm feeling a bit sore today, but I'm hoping the body will be capable of doing some weights again this week.

Today I did a 15min warm up on the bike followed by the next week of my C25k program. More running this week! Still haven't decided on what races I want to do this year. I'm kinda waiting to find out what's happening with my position at work. I'm lucky I am currently in the office working on a proposal for my department, but if the executives don't find value in the project, I'm not sure where I'm going to be going next, or if I will be going back to shift work. I'm kinda hanging out...waiting for our big presentation on Feb 10, and getting things ready until then. Time will tell.

Anyways, hope you are have a great week!
2016-01-19 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by WebFootFreak
Real life has been kicking me in the shins lately. ... At this point, I'm not sure when I'll be jumping back on the horse... but I'm keeping the saddle conditioned and ready to go.
+2 for what Andrew said. Worry about real life first, tris are supposed to be just for the fun of it. Hope things smooth out for you soon.
2016-01-19 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
A warm welcome to Rod and a warm welcome back to Scott. I have to tell you guys, I really miss Sidney/Caringbah. Hopefully someday I'll get back to Oz for a few months of touring. Absolutely loved hiking around Jindbyne and Kosciuszko while I was there, IN SUMMER. There is NO WAY I'm spending the money to fly to Oz and still be in SNOW!
2016-01-19 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Andrew now that I am working full time again I am going to look into one of the 920XT's. I knew I wanted one back when my Mom bought me my Global Trainer, but I couldn't swing it at the time. Now I believe I can. And I am also a numbers geek. Tracking the numbers REALLY helps motivate me.

Robin is tearing up the calendar now that she is retired. On the one hand, I'm kind of jealous. But on the other hand, I'm really happy to be working and looking forward to being completely debt free before Cindy retires in 5 years. In fact, maybe both of us will retire before then, if we are completely debt free.

Chris UNDER 3 for a Half-Marathon. That is freakin' awesome dude! That's sort of my eventual goal when I finally put an HIM into my schedule.
2016-01-19 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Have I told you folks how much I HATE winter? Had every intention of putting on the long johns and sweats and going for a walk when I got home from school. Unfortunately, by the time I got home it was only 19ºF outside and winds were constant at 15-20 mph. Which makes the "real feel" temperature around 5ºF. That's MINUS 15ºC for you Southern Cross folks. It's just shy of a quarter mile walk from the school to my parking space, and my face HURT by the time I got to the truck. Nope. Sapped the motivation right out of me. I think I have to pack a bag and plan on hitting the Y after school.

ETA: At that temperature I can't even make my short 2 mile out-and-back before my face would be in danger of frostbite. Sorry, but nothing is worth that again.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2016-01-19 4:05 PM

2016-01-20 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Have I told you folks how much I HATE winter? Had every intention of putting on the long johns and sweats and going for a walk when I got home from school. Unfortunately, by the time I got home it was only 19ºF outside and winds were constant at 15-20 mph. Which makes the "real feel" temperature around 5ºF. That's MINUS 15ºC for you Southern Cross folks. It's just shy of a quarter mile walk from the school to my parking space, and my face HURT by the time I got to the truck. Nope. Sapped the motivation right out of me. I think I have to pack a bag and plan on hitting the Y after school. ETA: At that temperature I can't even make my short 2 mile out-and-back before my face would be in danger of frostbite. Sorry, but nothing is worth that again.

No kidding. I do NOT do cold and wind. Cold, okay... maybe. Wind = a whole bucket of NOPE! I see all the hype about "just go out and do it", I say BS on that. I will be on my handy dandy treadmill looking out the window at that crapola! 

Don't be jealous, (too much). I am loving having my time but with our property and buisness here, My hubbie and I will never be debt free. And my retirement paycheck is going to just cover my debt and insurance. But I have time and I am not working for so......

Now to just get rid of this bug and get my ankle back in order.....

2016-01-20 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Race report is up: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I love doing these after a race. I wish more people would take the time as well. It is really nice to read so of the comments when researching a race. It is also nice to be able to go back and read your thoughts before you do the same race again. And sometimes, you get an email with a free entry code because of what you posted about an event and the RD just happens to be a BT member.
2016-01-20 6:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Andrew now that I am working full time again I am going to look into one of the 920XT's. I knew I wanted one back when my Mom bought me my Global Trainer, but I couldn't swing it at the time. Now I believe I can. And I am also a numbers geek. Tracking the numbers REALLY helps motivate me.

If you've got the free cash for a toy like that, then get one. They are awesome. Although all mine does is tell me how slow i am
2016-01-20 6:41 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Have I told you folks how much I HATE winter? Had every intention of putting on the long johns and sweats and going for a walk when I got home from school. Unfortunately, by the time I got home it was only 19ºF outside and winds were constant at 15-20 mph. Which makes the "real feel" temperature around 5ºF. That's MINUS 15ºC for you Southern Cross folks. It's just shy of a quarter mile walk from the school to my parking space, and my face HURT by the time I got to the truck. Nope. Sapped the motivation right out of me. I think I have to pack a bag and plan on hitting the Y after school. ETA: At that temperature I can't even make my short 2 mile out-and-back before my face would be in danger of frostbite. Sorry, but nothing is worth that again.

No kidding. I do NOT do cold and wind. Cold, okay... maybe. Wind = a whole bucket of NOPE! I see all the hype about "just go out and do it", I say BS on that. I will be on my handy dandy treadmill looking out the window at that crapola! 

Don't be jealous, (too much). I am loving having my time but with our property and buisness here, My hubbie and I will never be debt free. And my retirement paycheck is going to just cover my debt and insurance. But I have time and I am not working for so......

Now to just get rid of this bug and get my ankle back in order.....

We are having a hot, wet, sticky summer here. We haven't had any proper cyclones yet, but we have had the tails of them as they pass by to the north.

I HATE running in, hot, wet, sticky weather. We may not get snow, or anything you guys consider cold, but I much prefer running in autumn/winter, nice cool weather, a bit of wind sounds great. This time of year I get home from an hour running looking like I've been for a swim. Bring on winter!

(Mind you, bike riding is much more enjoyable in the summer... can't have it all I guess)
2016-01-20 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by cwpeters

Race report is up: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I love doing these after a race. I wish more people would take the time as well. It is really nice to read so of the comments when researching a race. It is also nice to be able to go back and read your thoughts before you do the same race again. And sometimes, you get an email with a free entry code because of what you posted about an event and the RD just happens to be a BT member.

Congratulations on your race. I just 'ran' a HM in 2:33, so under 3 for a walk is super impressive from my point of view.

Even better that your wife made noises about doing another one. Couldn't get a better result than that.

2016-01-20 6:55 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So far this week I've missed 1 workout, a 45 minute interval session on the bike.

I have managed 4 runs and 2 pool swims.

The highlight of the week so far was my long run, 13km in 90 minutes. I managed a sub 7:00/km pace for the first time since I re started training. So satisfied with that. Especially when I'm using a 3:00 / 0:30 run / walk ratio on my long runs in preparation for the HIM (I'm know I will be walking more than I want, so may as well train for it) hitting 6:30ish on all my run intervals was very satisfying, as was running my last 2km faster than my first 2 and an overall negative split.

Tonight I've got a 1000m beach swim to look forward to, tomorrow a sleep in (as my pool is unavailable due to competition on the weekend) and a 1 hor run, and bike riding both days on the weekend. It's also day 20 in a row of doing at least 1 swim/bike/run thing a day. Yay for little milestones.

How is everyone else's week going?
2016-01-21 1:16 AM

User image

Well done on completing the event and recording a great time.

It must be good to train with your wife. Do you keep each other accountable?
2016-01-21 5:48 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
thanks for the welcome. Yes, I love summer, but where i am is normally hot and dry (40 celsius for a month straight or more), but we have had some rain, so very very humid but still 43 today. Made me do my "trot" at 9 pm to get some cool. Just starting Michael Pate's couch to sprint program, and have hit all the sessions this week. Will start riding on sundays with some friends, when I can find my bike shoes again (on the mountain bike until then), they have gone missing in our house move.

I have entered a super mini intro tri for next weekend, will probably be last, but hey at least I will be there (alan though its a bit odd, 1km run, 130m swim, 7 km bike, then another I km run.

Thank you all for welcoming me back. It kinds feels like I have a cheer squad, which I am appreciating very much (and Leather, if you ever come back, there is room at my house for you lot anytime).
2016-01-21 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Well done on completing the event and recording a great time.

It must be good to train with your wife. Do you keep each other accountable?

Thank you, it was really nice to have my wife with me for this one. We did push each other quite a bit. And there were times when one of us didn't feel like getting in a walk and the other wouldn't let that happen. I don't think I will ever get her do do a tri, but just last night she said we need to sign up for another race so we have a goal to work towards.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41651 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54777 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2124 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8770 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?