BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-11-29 10:19 AM
in reply to: #5158550

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Hello, My name Mo (short for Maurice) I'm 51, married for 25 years, grown daughter and son, grandson due in March 2017. I'm a retired firefighter and Army Retired Veteran. Due to PTSD (Iraq War 2004), exercise is a vital part of coping with PTSD. I'm very competitive, but can't play b-ball, football, or baseball anymore (knees and shoulders can't handle those sports anymore). So I have turned to the challenge of sprint triathlons, hoping transitioning to half ironmans in after one to two years of training and losing weight (down from 270). Most of my weight gain is from weight training, a good way to relieve stress. And with anything challenging we all need a good support and encouragement. So I'm excited about connecting.

2016-11-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi MO, and welcome to the group.  From your profile, it looks like you've landed in the right group.  You'll find the group here is experienced (age and race related) along with excellent coaching and advice from the mentors.  Ones in the group are active; competed in IM distances this year along with ones like me ... I mainly stick to the sprints .  It's likely a bit early for much chatter within the group as it is the off part of the season.  But as things start to pick up the level of comments and engagement in the group is encouraging. 

You will find that participation in these type events requires patience,realistic expectations, dedication and consistency.  It takes time to build a base for the endurance required to compete and/or finish these type events, especially IM distances.  Again welcome.

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2016-11-29 11:49 AM
2016-11-29 3:27 PM
in reply to: #5158550

Hey Dorm????, believe me, I understand taking my time(my body reminds me everyday). Thanks again, looking forward to your advice!
2016-11-29 3:31 PM
in reply to: #5206271

Sorry Dorm, ignore the question marks, that was suppose to be a waving hand emoji, but instead it puts question marks, that's technology for ya!
2016-11-29 9:05 PM
in reply to: Mothornton1965

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mothornton1965 Hello, My name Mo (short for Maurice) I'm 51, married for 25 years, grown daughter and son, grandson due in March 2017. I'm a retired firefighter and Army Retired Veteran. Due to PTSD (Iraq War 2004), exercise is a vital part of coping with PTSD. I'm very competitive, but can't play b-ball, football, or baseball anymore (knees and shoulders can't handle those sports anymore). So I have turned to the challenge of sprint triathlons, hoping transitioning to half ironmans in after one to two years of training and losing weight (down from 270). Most of my weight gain is from weight training, a good way to relieve stress. And with anything challenging we all need a good support and encouragement. So I'm excited about connecting.

Hey Mo,

Welcome to the group.  It's the off-season for triathlon for everywhere but here in California where there are still a couple of races upcoming.  This is a great group of people, although, right now, not many people are regularly checking in to the forum.  That said, I'm typically checking posts every couple of days so any questions you might have, please don't hesitate to ask.

2016-12-21 7:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Gray Guys/Girls 2017 Season Mentor Group

Hey everyone,

While there hasn't been much posting over the past weeks, I don't know if people are still checking in so thought I'd put this up. 

The 2017 Gray Guys/Girls Mentor group will be kicking off around the beginning of the New Year.  Hope to have everyone back.

I will post here when we have gone live and provide a link to the new thread.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone, and to those that don't celebrate Christmas, hope your holiday season is enjoyable.

See you next year!

Edited by k9car363 2016-12-21 7:45 PM

2016-12-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls 2017 Season Mentor Group
I'll keep an eye out for your 2017 group....2017 would be my 3rd time around on this site...managed 2 sprints in 2015 but even though I trained some this year family matters prevented me from doing an event (even tho I'd registered for one)....anyway, with my artificial knees I have to walk the run portion of the events....so my times are quite slow....

Still pretty green with Tri events so looking forward at interacting with another group....
2016-12-23 6:53 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

I'll keep an eye out for your 2017 group....2017 would be my 3rd time around on this site...managed 2 sprints in 2015 but even though I trained some this year family matters prevented me from doing an event (even tho I'd registered for one)....anyway, with my artificial knees I have to walk the run portion of the events....so my times are quite slow....

Still pretty green with Tri events so looking forward at interacting with another group....

Hey Bill,

My wife is just getting ready to have a knee replacement.  Doesn't matter how slow or fast your times are . . . what matters is that you have a good time getting to the finish line.  We ALL have life issues that challenge consistent training.  The key is navigating and overcoming obstacles to achieve your goals.  Look forward to "seeing" you in the new group.

2016-12-23 4:20 PM

User image

Thank you Scott!

BTW....best of luck to your wife on her knee replacement journey....I'm sending you a link to a site that I found helpful with both of my replacements..

• http://bonesmart.org/

Some of the best advice I received through the replacement process (both times).....1-Ice, Ice, Ice.....Ice is your friend!!; 2-Elevate, Elevate!!; 3-Don't overdo...it's tempting but avoid at all costs(I know, I did several times.... ; 4-stay on top of the pain meds especially in the first week to 10 days post surgery-don't let the pain get ahead: 5-rest especially in the first few weeks/months; 6-Lastly be patient. Total Knee Replacement is a big deal.....

If she ends up with any questions prior to or after, I'll be happy to pass along what I learned in addition to the above.....

So best of luck again to her; Happy Holidays!!!!!
    2016-12-25 8:11 AM
    in reply to: lutzman

New user

Would like to join not sure how hope to get more invoked I am 72 did some sprints couple years ago want to try to get back into it
    2016-12-25 7:44 PM
    in reply to: bobs

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by bobs Would like to join not sure how hope to get more invoked I am 72 did some sprints couple years ago want to try to get back into it

Hey Bob,

Once we get moved over to the new group we'll have you post a brief bio to introduce yourself and you'll be in.  We have a young woman who has been in the group for a couple years now that ages up to 70 this year.  She has more energy than many of those less than 20!  Look forward to getting to know you.

2016-12-29 8:49 AM

User image

Louisiana
    I'm looking for an over-50 group. I can't really tell if this group is open for 2107 or if it is an ongoing group from 2016. Anyway, if you guys and gals are still open to newcomers, let me know.
    2016-12-29 9:16 AM
    in reply to: twylite148

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by twylite148 I'm looking for an over-50 group. I can't really tell if this group is open for 2107 or if it is an ongoing group from 2016. Anyway, if you guys and gals are still open to newcomers, let me know.

Hi Carol,

The new 2017 Gray Guys/Girls group will be starting up shortly after the new year.  Check back and when we go live with the 2017 group, post up that you want to join, put up a short bio and we'll be good to go.  Look forward to "meeting" you and getting to know you.

2016-12-29 11:30 AM

User image

Hello everyone,

I am 55, have done some sprints, a couple of olympic distances and one half ironman. I had a ankle injury that made me stop for one year and a half. My goal is to complete a full-marathon in 2017. If this goes well, I would try a full inronman in 2018. As you see, I am not in a rush.

In order to void injury, I plan to combine running (slowly and increasingly) with swimming and cycling, as my training program for the marathon.

I look forward to joining the group in early 2017 and receive ALL possible advice to complete my goals.

Best,

Helmuth

2016-12-29 2:08 PM
    in reply to: trihtrefftz

User image

Regular
    Hi all,
    I'll register an interest and look back just after new year when new group opens.

Hit my 'mid-life crisis' in 2007 at age 41, went from sofa in august to 10k in sept, half marathon in Nov then full marathon in april.
    Self trained and knackered my shins/knees so turned to tri in 2009.
    did a couple of sprints and went straight to HIM in 2010.
    Then life and work/redundancy got in the way :-(

Now 50 and pretend I have more time lol, got talked into a 66mile etape in april- possibly a 80mile etape in May.
    Just started running again with an eye on a half marathon in march.
    If I can then stay motivated there is a 'tricky' HIM in september...... hence fancying a mentor group to stay on track lol.
    Haven't started swimming again but have joined the local gym (not actually used it yet....)
    Rubbish swimmer and don't really like the bike (really don't like the turbo...), but i like a challenge :-)

Happy new year when it comes !
    Adrian
    2016-12-29 7:13 PM

NAME: henfrilangy (BT screen name) / Laura R, 50 yo, Beginner Triathlete

STORY: I am an US Army Vet who was shamed into doing my first Sprint Triathlon (UK) in 2014 by my XO. I trained for 3 weeks for this Tri and never swam or rode those distances. I only had a single-speed bike but found myself passing those with gears. I am an average 2 mile runner and ran only to maintain my job in the US Army. Since 2014, I've completed one Sprint Triathlon, one Sprint Spartan Race, and seven 5K (walking only). I've watched Iron Man Kona and got re-inspired to pursue my triathlon ambition. I have trained on my own but feel I do better with a community of like-minded athletes with accountability. Due to my current medical situation I am a bit behind on HIM training and plan to train for sprint and Olympic Tri's in the DC/MD/VA area. My long term goal to is enter the Edinburgh 70.3 in 2018. I have a fear with open water swimming. I do not drive so limited in races I can participate in to when my spouse is not traveling.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 7 years and no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am not training my run at the moment and only swimming, indoor spinning and walking. I am recovering from knee surgery (Nov 2016).

2017 PLANNED RACES: Life Time Indoor Tri and any races within 20 miles of Alexandria, VA.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since my knee injury in July 2016 and surgery four months later, I have gained an additional 15 pounds and probably lost a lot of muscle mass (or what was there).

KIT:
    Pure Fix Hotel Single Speed Bike
    Running Shoes
    Tri-Suit

Look forward to being accepted and training with the group.

Edited by henfrilangy 2016-12-29 7:15 PM

2016-12-29 8:33 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Hey everyone!

Just a heads up!  This is NOT the new group yet.  I know the title going into the mentor groups says it's 2017 but the new groups haven't actually rolled out yet.  My understanding is the old groups are getting "rolled up" on 12/31 so the new groups should launch about the same time.

No worries, if you've already posted.  You'll be in the new group.  Sorry for the confusion!

2016-12-29 8:37 PM
    in reply to: trihtrefftz

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by trihtrefftz

Hello everyone,

I am 55, have done some sprints, a couple of olympic distances and one half ironman. I had a ankle injury that made me stop for one year and a half. My goal is to complete a full-marathon in 2017. If this goes well, I would try a full inronman in 2018. As you see, I am not in a rush.

In order to void injury, I plan to combine running (slowly and increasingly) with swimming and cycling, as my training program for the marathon.

I look forward to joining the group in early 2017 and receive ALL possible advice to complete my goals.

Best,

Helmuth

Hi Helmuth,

I'd say welcome to the group but this isn't actually the new group yet.  It will be rolling out in the next couple of days.

That said, it sound like you've thought this through!  I always say, you can't race if you are sick or injured.  My first goal is always to get to the starting line healthy.

Once we are live, I look forward to getting to know you.

2016-12-29 8:42 PM
    in reply to: adbru

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by adbru

Hi all,

I'll register an interest and look back just after new year when new group opens.

Hit my 'mid-life crisis' in 2007 at age 41, went from sofa in august to 10k in sept, half marathon in Nov then full marathon in april. Self trained and knackered my shins/knees so turned to tri in 2009. did a couple of sprints and went straight to HIM in 2010. Then life and work/redundancy got in the way :-(

Now 50 and pretend I have more time lol, got talked into a 66mile etape in april- possibly a 80mile etape in May. Just started running again with an eye on a half marathon in march. If I can then stay motivated there is a 'tricky' HIM in september...... hence fancying a mentor group to stay on track lol. Haven't started swimming again but have joined the local gym (not actually used it yet....) Rubbish swimmer and don't really like the bike (really don't like the turbo...), but i like a challenge :-)

Happy new year when it comes !

Adrian

Hey Adrian,

Just a couple more days and we should be going live with the new group.  

It sounds like maybe you learned a bit of a lesson at age 41 - can't progress faster than our bodies will allow us too.

Rubbish swimmer?  Never heard it described quite that way before!  Maybe we can give you a pointer or two on the swimming.  Maybe on other things as well.

Look forward to getting to know you when we get started.

2016-12-29 9:17 PM
    in reply to: henfrilangy

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by henfrilangy

NAME: henfrilangy (BT screen name) / Laura R, 50 yo, Beginner Triathlete . . .

Since my knee injury in July 2016 and surgery four months later . . .

Hi Laura!

I can't really say 'Welcome to the Group' yet because the new group hasn't officially launched yet.  That should happen in the next couple of days.  My understanding is that the "old" groups will roll up on 12/31 and I assume the new groups will begin to roll out shortly thereafter.

Don't worry!  You'll be one of the "founding members" of the 2017 Gray Guys/Girls.

Having come back from three major surgeries in the last three years, I have but one observation before we get started in the new group.  LISTEN to your doctor and follow his advice to the letter.  I figured that Dr. Scott knew better than the surgeons.  I found out the hard way that Dr. Scott had no clue and I added weeks to my recovery.  As hard as it might be to sit around waiting for medical clearance, you will only hurt yourself by short-cutting whatever the doctors say.

I will step down off of my soapbox now.

Look forward to getting to know you once we get the new group rolling!

2016-12-31 9:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Hey Everyone!

The 2017 group is now live!  You can find it at http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=545148&posts=1&page=1.

Hope to see you in 2017!

2017-01-02 5:03 PM

Dear Steve,

I'm a first time triathlete this year - as I've signed up for the Chicago Tri in August. I'll be 55 in June, but have always stayed away from running, swimming, biking because I've always been drawn to more directly competitive sports like hockey, racquetballl, squash, and most importantly - soccer. I still play in 2 soccer leagues, am injury free for now, and i workout regularly. Playing soccer forces me to run and workout at the gym on a regular basis - and you are right - the muscle mass needs constant attention.

Anyway, I don't know how this works, but I am indeed looking for some words of wisdom here as I'm 8 months out.

Here's some additional data that might help your response. I'm not a great swimmer, but I can do 500 freestyle no problem, and longer if I mix in breast stroke or whatever. My wife of 25 years is a strong swimmer, as are all 3 of my kids - also grown but two are still in college.

I can run a 5k no problem. A 10k is a bit hard on the knees, but I can do it. My family now seems to be recruiting me for a half-marathon in March. Not sure I can do that, but I might give it a try.

Biking - well, I love it, and can go all day long, but maybe not together with swimming and running.

I'm at the gym 5-6 days a week for short periods of time - maybe 1 hour or so, which I could increase a little bit.

What advice do you have for me?

All the best,

Rich.
    2020-01-19 1:02 PM

Good morning (or afternoon or evening depending on where you are),

I just joined Beginner Triathlete this morning, and I am excited to connect with triathletes in the 50 and over group. I completed my first sprint triathlon last July, 3 months after having a catheter ablation on my heart. My goal with that tri was to just get back into shape after a year's weight gain of 25 pounds. I can't say that I have lost the weight, but my goal this year is to up the ante and do an Olympic Triathlon, and improve my time by doing a couple of sprints. The Olympic Tri is mid June, so I have 21 weeks to prep.
    My first question out of the gate has to do with fitness trackers. I currently use a FitBit Versa, but it does not look like it is a compatible tracker for this platform. I do not want to spend a fortune on a tracker, but would like something that would easily sync to the training log. Any suggestions?
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 17378 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open