BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-02-08 11:31 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Thanks Deb, I do have an indoor trainer (Cycleops Fluid 2) I use on one of my road bikes for the winter. I ride inside one a week or so enough to maintain a relationship with my bike. It is not that I find it some much as boring as I like to link my rides with my swims and runs. I will look into the trainer road program as that does sound interesting, thanks.

2016-02-09 9:21 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Run Less Run Faster
Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by ok2try

Good feedback Deb,

A few comments:

I had a very different experience than what you describe. Following the program I was much less fatigued than traditional marathon training. I put in fewer running miles but the miles I did run were much more focused. I also didn't experience the issue you describe with the program being "hard" all the time. Yes, the interval workouts were challenging, but the tempo and long runs were, at least for me, quite doable--building over time--and helped me train very specifically to run a personal best in the marathon at age 53 (3:12). I was actually training for a sub 3:10 but a very hot day in Chicago cooked me and everybody else so I was happy with the result.

I totally agree with your observation that the program is written for runners, not triathletes. As you point out, it probably won't work for triathlete as designed. Moreover, like every generic training program personal modifications must be made based on a number of factors (experience, fitness, age, skill, etc.). LIke you, in some cases I also found the workout plans too taxing. In those cases I just dropped down a level to workouts/paces that were more in line with my capabilities.

That said, here's what I like about their program:

1) It focuses on "train with a purpose." The fundamental idea that every single workout needs to have a purpose that specifically builds toward the larger goal is sound. It may be speed, pacing, endurance or even recovery. Before I found this program I was reasonably good at structuring a training program to create and reach fitness but not so good at optimizing the individual daily workouts over multiple weeks. In short, I was doing far more running than I actually needed, beating my body up for no real gain. Their training program--with personal modifications---successfully aligned my specific workouts and overall mileage with my goals..

2) When I plugged my fitness into their suggested training workouts ("You're ready to train for X if you can run this distance at this speed) I generally found the paces to be within my capabilities...gradually building speed and endurance over time to hit the goal. I specifically recall feeling fresher following this program than any marathon training program I had ever followed which had usually left me chronically fatigued.

In the end, it really is a running program, not a triathlon program. But I did find the run pacing/workout guides which build to specific distance/time goals to be useful to incorporate into my personalized triathlon training program.

Full disclosure--I'm not currently using their program. The last time I used it was about 30 months ago and it got me to a (run only) sub 20 5K. I was very happy with that result at age 57. I don't have the fitness base now so I haven't been inclined to go back to their book...yet. But I do try to incorporate the core disciplines of training with purpose and building components of speed improvement, pace training and aerobic building (long run) into my weekly program. 3 runs a week, each with a purpose, swim and bike training on the non running days.

Best,

Steve

Steve, what makes this approach not good for the triathlete? What does the triathlete need to add or subtract from this when developing his/her plan?
2016-02-09 9:45 AM
in reply to: dahoffman72

User image

Expert
Missouri

Winter made a comeback last yesterday here in the midwest.  Windy and cold all day yesterday and woke up to snow this morning.  I still went to the pool though.  Is anyone else ready for spring to get here?  Not necessarily because of the temps - I'm just ready to get my race season started!  The one trail race I usually do in February I'm skipping this year due to my recent injury issues (I'll be volunteering there instead).  

My Olympic training plan started yesterday (with on off day).  I was reviewing the first few weeks and the total volume is a lot less than what I've been doing for the past few weeks for the swim and bike - not so much for the run since I had already backed off on that.  It almost feels like a step backwards.  So of these 3 options, which would you choose:

1 - keep the plan as is, taking a couple of easier weeks and building back up (not my favorite idea but I also don't want to hurt myself)
2 - keep the volume as is on the plan, but up the intensity of the workouts (most of my swims and rides have been on the easier side)
3 - increase the volume on the plan to match what I was doing previously, but keep the workouts easy

I'm leaning towards #2 for the bike.  I already know I can do the distance for an Olympic race but I'd like to work on maybe making it easier and a little faster.   And maybe #3 for the swim - or maybe instead of increasing the individual workouts, just adding an extra day at the pool.  I feel like I'm making progress with my swim but I know my form still needs some work.  So maybe spend an extra day just working on drills/form issues?

Thoughts?
Janet

2016-02-09 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Deb, I'm late to the party here, but my take on the power meter is get one.  Is it essential - absolutely not, but it does help you with seeing incremental improvements in your cycling.  I currently have a Quarq, which is fine for me.  Probably the easiest to install is the Stages model, and you can always re-install the crank arm you removed to put the Stages arm on. They are plentiful on e-bay.

I've worked with the winter cycling plans on here(aka the "Jorge' plan) and with the plan you'll do incremental time trials (TT) tests.  These are spaced out every couple of weeks or so, but they're designed to have you determine your max power over 5 min, 8 min or 20 min intervals.  You base your current training on the max power number based on these TTs.  If you stick to the program you'll see your max power number slowly start to creep up and this is  very satisfying once you do see your power numbers increase.

It was very nice for me to see improvement this time last year, wherein I did not necessarily get faster, I did see my HR levels decrease for many of the rides I do local.  This translates into I could ride in my 'sweet spot' longer which ultimately translates into speed as I could ride at a higher level - longer.  Again, I could have possibly done this all without a power meter - but the power meter helped me train consistently, and closest to the edge.  I'm not sure I could have done this based on perceived effort or similar.

2016-02-09 5:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Janet, regardless of what you do - it sounds like you have a good grip on the options, the time you have and what works best for you.  For me personally, I do not heal as fast as I once did.  And so if training involves working thru injury for a particular sport - I will not completely stop, but I will not go to the point of aggravating something.  I'd rather increase focus on the others and go at an easier pace for the one wherein the injury is. 

Too, you might consider you're 'ahead' of the early weeks in the training plan and jump start ahead to weeks 3 or 4, given where your current strengths lie.  The risk with this is you're not building the base and endurance.  This (base level training for endurance) is so important late in the race when you have to pull from this to keep your speed up.

Edited by Dorm57 2016-02-09 5:11 PM
2016-02-09 8:20 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Thanks Steve, Deb, Scott and Tony for your replies to my power training question. Seems that there's unanimous support for the benefits of training with power, whether using just TR virtual power or a power meter.

Think I"m going to start with a TR account and a speed/cadence sensor on my existing trainer set up. Then I'll begin exploring the options and associated costs of adding power to my bike.

Dave

2016-02-09 8:30 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by k9car363

Let's talk about what power can do for you so you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you should dip in to your "fun budget."  First thing you need to answer is how committed are you to triathlon in the long term?  You are after all talking about a fairly significant investment.  Next question, are you using Trainer Road or some other form of virtual power?  Trainer Road is a good, inexpensive way to introduce yourself to training with power.  You can become familiar with the various terms, what they mean and how they apply.  I strongly encourage (actually require) any athlete I work one-on-one with to sign-up for Trainer Road.  The various training plans are excellent.  It is quite literally like having a coach there with you on each and every ride.  I suggest three rides a week on the trainer and your long ride outdoors on your bike (weather permitting).  That will get you training with power and begin to make large improvements in your cycling.

The downside to Trainer Road is that it uses virtual power if you don't have a power meter - meaning it is useless outdoors.  If/when you get a power meter you can pair the PM with Trainer Road and continue to reap the benefits of the TR workouts while using your actual power numbers that WILL translate to the outdoors.

So let's talk about what power can do for you.  Training with power takes the subjectivity out of your training.  If the ride calls for a 6 x 10' intervals @ 85% FTP w/5' recovery at 55% FTP, you simply do that - ride 6 intervals of 10-minutes at 85% of your FTP with a 5-minute recovery at 55% of your FTP.  NO GUESSWORK.  You do the workout as designed - you reap the benefits - period.  Without power it is impossible to be that precise in your training.  Indoors, outdoors, windy or calm, with a power meter you can hit your EXACT workout as planned.  Without a power meter, not so much.  You can get that benefit with Trainer Road by the way in the comfort of you pain cave!  As an added bonus, because you would be doing periodic FTP tests, you will have an objective measurement of your improvement as you see your FTP increase.

The benefit of power really becomes apparent on race day.  Probably the single biggest challenge triathletes face is correctly pacing the bike - and that's on a flat course.  What happens if the course is hilly or it's windy?  Using your Power Meter in the most intelligent way, you would have established your FTP - Functional Threshold Power.  Then, riding with power during training and a couple of race simulations, you would have determined 'YOUR" target race %FTP.  Typically for an Olympic that will be ~ 85-95% FTP.  On race day it is real simple; you have Average Watts Per Lap, Normalized Power Per Lap, and Current Watts (10-sec smoothing) displayed on your Garmin (or watch or whatever head unit you are using).  If your target power is 85-95% FTP then that is the number you want to see in your average and normalize power displays.  The closer those two numbers are to identical the better you paced the race.  Hills, wind, flat, calm - DOESN'T matter!  Keep your output power at your target power and you are golden. (That is a VERY simplistic explanation. It would easily take several paragraphs (pages?) to give a more detailed explanation of power and how it works with respect to pacing, hills, etc.  The point is, power takes the guess work out of pacing.)

When I said the race we are talking about cries out for a power meter, it is because of the relentless nature of the hills.  They aren't that high or that steep, but they just keep coming.  A power meter will keep your pacing accurate.  You somewhat develop tunnel vision as you focus only on your target power.  You won't be induced to go faster by little old ladies or children passing you; yeah you will see them but you will know that the pace you are going is the perfect pace for YOU - so you won't be influenced by what others are doing.  There is a saying, "Do the ride you should do, not the ride you could do."  Having a power meter helps you do the ride you should do, so you can run afterwards; instead of the ride you could do that, while it may be fast, will all but guarantee your run will be a walk.

As to getting it now or waiting for the new bike.  You will instantly begin to see the benefits of a power meter.  The bike the PM is on doesn't matter.  Of course, you can instantly begin to see the benefit of training with power by signing up for Trainer Road.  If you are seriously considering a PM for the upcoming race, I would STRONGLY urge you to get the PM on your bike a number of months before the race.  You need to train with power and become familiar with what it is telling you.  Getting a power meter and then trying to use it a week later in a race will be a recipe for disaster.

On a personal note.  I firmly believe that the money I spent on a power meter to be the single best investment I have made in triathlon.  More valuable than the triathlon bike, more valuable than the watches and all the other toys combined.  Would I dip in to my "fun budget" to purchase a power meter?  Knowing what I know now, I would mortgage my house to get one.  But that's just me.

H

Scott,

I appreciate your thorough explanation of the value of a power meter in training and racing. You make a pretty compelling argument for the benefits. As you state, the question really comes down to the individual's level of commitment (long term) as to whether the cost makes sense.

Thanks again.
Dave
2016-02-09 11:17 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by soccermom15

I was reviewing the first few weeks and the total volume is a lot less than what I've been doing for the past few weeks for the swim and bike - not so much for the run since I had already backed off on that.  It almost feels like a step backwards.  So of these 3 options, which would you choose:

1 - keep the plan as is, taking a couple of easier weeks and building back up (not my favorite idea but I also don't want to hurt myself)
2 - keep the volume as is on the plan, but up the intensity of the workouts (most of my swims and rides have been on the easier side)
3 - increase the volume on the plan to match what I was doing previously, but keep the workouts easy

I'm leaning towards #2 for the bike.  I already know I can do the distance for an Olympic race but I'd like to work on maybe making it easier and a little faster.   And maybe #3 for the swim - or maybe instead of increasing the individual workouts, just adding an extra day at the pool.  I feel like I'm making progress with my swim but I know my form still needs some work.  So maybe spend an extra day just working on drills/form issues?

Thoughts?
Janet

Janet--I'm with you on number 2, at least for the run and bike. I just don't think there is any substitute for the benefits delivered by adding intensity to workouts. You've already put in some good volume to establish your base. As long as you're careful about not over-doing it, it sure seems like this would be a great way to start the process of getting up to race pace.

I've come to the conclusion that as I get older, intensity is more important that ever. As we age, speed is the first thing to go and without consistent effort, the dropoffs occur scary fast.

Good luck.

Steve
2016-02-09 11:52 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Run Less Run Faster
Originally posted by CL001

Originally posted by lutzman

In the end, it really is a running program, not a triathlon program. But I did find the run pacing/workout guides which build to specific distance/time goals to be useful to incorporate into my personalized triathlon training program.

Full disclosure--I'm not currently using their program. The last time I used it was about 30 months ago and it got me to a (run only) sub 20 5K. I was very happy with that result at age 57. I don't have the fitness base now so I haven't been inclined to go back to their book...yet. But I do try to incorporate the core disciplines of training with purpose and building components of speed improvement, pace training and aerobic building (long run) into my weekly program. 3 runs a week, each with a purpose, swim and bike training on the non running days.

Best,

Steve

Steve, what makes this approach not good for the triathlete? What does the triathlete need to add or subtract from this when developing his/her plan?

It's not that this can't be used by triathletes, it's that it's designed for runners who will use the off days as recovery (biking or swimming instead). The challenge is we can't optimize success in a tri by just being a good runner...we have to excel at all three disciplines if possible. In my mind, this means you'll need a more balanced approach to ensure that you're also getting good high quality training sessions on the bike and in the pool that aren't hampered by residual run fatigue.

To the point Deb made, the bike is the longest timed segment of at tri...so you can never optimize your success if your bike training is treated as simply a recovery day from running. You won't develop sufficient speed/fitness and you'll essentially be eliminated from serious contention in your AG before you even get off the bike.

They recommend at "3 plus 2" program. Three runs and 2 other non running aerobic (non weight-bearing on the legs) workouts. That obviously won't cut it. A a minimum, you'll probably be doing "three plus six" to get in three solid workouts each week for each discipline. Already, we're over-loading their plan.

That said, I think you can incorporate the theory of "training with a purpose" into the run portion of your overall tri program. In addition, the run pacing plans they provide are a great framework for setting up your overall run training.You're probably going to run 3X per week, so this part fits right in. But, I think it's likely that when you build in aggressive bike training the run paces (set up for a run focused athlete) may be too aggressive...requiring you to back off the recommended paces they suggest based on your 5k test time.

I think you'll know fairly quickly. If your bike workout is substantially impacted by fatigue carried from the run the previous day, then the run workouts are probably too hard...and the further you get into the advanced workouts, the more carefully you need to monitor your recovery.

Steve

2016-02-10 11:23 AM

User image

Janet, If your desire is to follow the set plan then I like your option two, increasing the intensity and listening to your body will let you set the pace depending on how you feel and gives you the option to back off while still following the set plan if you feel you are overtraining at any given time. As for the cold, I try not to let the weather deter me from running outside, however there are limitations, Biking is a little different as the roads here are quite icy and I have yet to bite the bullet on studded tires and swimming is out of the question as the water is way too hard for a couple more months . I am ready for Spring, but, that for me is still several months away. Dave
2016-02-10 11:38 AM

User image

Scott, like the other Dave I like your detailed explanation on the use of Power Meters. I can see where this could be a very worthwhile investment, but, I doubt it is in the cards for me at this time. If I was able to find a used set, I may change my mind, but, at my age, I doubt the knowledge gained from PM's will give me much of an increase in performance. I will likely continue with only Sprint and Olympic distance races after the HIM in August and have my bike performance at those distance pretty well wired. However, as I continue working with others (many younger) it is good to have to knowledge you shared to be able to relay this to others. Thanks, Dave

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-02-10 12:41 PM

2016-02-10 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dahoffman72

Scott, like the other Dave I like your detailed explanation on the use of Power Meters. I can see where this could be a very worthwhile investment, but, I doubt it is in the cards for me at this time. If I was able to find a used set, I may change my mind, but, at my age, I doubt the knowledge gained from PM's will give me much of an increase in performance. I will likely continue with only Sprint and Olympic distance races after the HIM in August and have my bike performance at those distance pretty well wired. However, as I continue working with others (many younger) it is good to have to knowledge you shared to be able to relay this to others. Thanks, Dave

Dave--what's this "age my age" stuff? None of that allowed on this forum!!!

I completely understand not wanting to shell out for a PM. It is a completely unnecessary piece of equipment and you can train quite successfully with out it.

That said, as a guy who did not have a cycling background, I continue to be amazed what I learn about my output and fitness through the PM. It's just a great tool. So if the IRS leaves you some extra cash or if a long lost uncle throws some coins your way, it will definitely help your training. In the meantime, just using the virtual power software that others recommend would be a great start and probably get you 80%+ of the benefit with little cost.

Good luck.

Steve
2016-02-10 9:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

. . . I was reviewing the first few weeks and the total volume is a lot less than what I've been doing for the past few weeks for the swim and bike - not so much for the run since I had already backed off on that.  It almost feels like a step backwards.  So of these 3 options, which would you choose:

Thoughts?
Janet

Hi Janet,

My vote would be for 2 1/2.  Let me explain.

First and most importantly, I would keep your run volume and pacing as you have been doing.  Remember no more than a 10% increase each week.  I actually would argue you increase 10%, run two weeks at that distance, then increase 10%.  Yes, that works out to a 10% increase every other week.  Given your recent injury history, I think conservative is the better course of action.  Keep all of your runs in low Z2 for the time being until you really get some strength back in your legs.  The speed will come as you build your aerobic base and when you're about 6-weeks out from the race you can add some speed work to further develop speed.  If you have some gentle hills around that will help build muscular endurance which will translate to sustainable speed on race day.

Now, on to the the bike and swimming.

You have undoubtedly heard me say that swimming with poor technique is a waste of time.  That really most applies to the beginning swimmer more than a triathlete that has a couple seasons under their belt.  Good technique, ultimately, relies on good fitness.  If you don't have a base level of fitness, then your technique will rapidly deteriorate because you fatigue.  So the two items - technique and fitness - are two sides of the same coin.  Early in a swimmer's career, it is important to focus on technique to develop proper mechanics.  However, as you move on, it becomes equally important to further develop fitness.  What all that means is that I would most certainly add a swim session each week if you can.  However, I would not make that additional swim session technique/drills only.  I am one of those that is not a fan of a lot of drills.  Yes, if there is a specific and identifiable technique flaw that a drill will help correct, then they are appropriate.  But to do drills just because "that is what they say you should do," is a flawed approach.  If you don't have a coach or an instructor prescribing the drill and that person can give you a VERY specific reason for doing the drill as well as explain how that drill is going to correct the problem, then additional volume will be more valuable.  I am in favor of having a "pull" day each week where you warm-up, put on paddles and an ankle band, and your workout is primarily a pulling workout.  Once you learn how to properly use paddles you will gain far more from a pulling workout than dozens of drills.  

As an alternative to a technique/drill day, I suggest a focused warm-up before each workout.  Here is the one I recommend for all the athletes I work with - http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/2014-11-30-20-43-15/ct-menu-item-3/73-getting-the-most-out-of-your-pre-workout-warm-up.   If you do this warm-up properly you have the opportunity to work on technique without taking away from a full workout.  

Then I would add some intensity to your swimming workouts.  A good starting place would be something like the Sprint Build 3x plan on my website - http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/workouts/2015-01-16-01-59-32/sprint-build-3x (there is also a 4x plan if you can add a day.  If you want to change one day to a pull workout let me know and we can talk about how to go about that). The swim plans in most triathlon plans often have, in my opinion, un-necessary drills, have you doing relentless kick sets, and have you swimming other strokes.  At the end of the day, if you want to get fast swimming freestyle, you need to swim a LOT of freestyle.  Then swim a LOT more freestyle.  Once you have that done, then swim a LOT more freestyle.

Once you're done with the swimming, you get to think about the bike.  Most people think that to have a good run, you need to run lots and lots of miles and build an incredible run base, then do endless speed workouts to build your speed.  That actually isn't true at all.  Yes, you need to develop an aerobic base.  You already have that.  I am not saying that you don't need to run, because you do - the more you can develop your aerobic base and improve your bodies ability to utilize fat for energy, the faster you will run.  Rather I am saying that a good run begins on the bike.  In my opinion, the bike is where you really can make some substantial improvements by adding intensity.  Because cycling is no-impact (when you do it right and stay on the bike), there is little danger in adding intensity.  If you aren't a member of Trainer Road, that is a VERY good place to start (I won't go in to all the benefits as it has already been gone through by a couple people in earlier posts).  If Trainer Road isn't an option, then Sufferfest videos will certainly challenge you.  The main thing is to begin adding a couple of intense bike sessions each week - keep your Z2 long ride as an outdoor ride (when the weather improves and you can ride outdoors) to maintain your bike handling skills.  Intensity might look like some over/under intervals, some VO2 MAX intervals, or some sweet spot/tempo rides.  Here again, quite a lot of the triathlon plans out there have a good deal of endurance work but not a lot of intensity.  On the bike, intensity will pay huge dividends.

Hope that helps.  Just my humble two cents.

2016-02-10 9:18 PM

User image

Steve, thanks for the wake up we do not want to start limiting ourselves unnecessarily, It does amaze me how much I have learned in a very short time using the various tools now available to track, near about everything we do. So with that I can see it would be beneficial, and like I said if I can find a set cheap, I may make the leap and get one just to track progress etc.

I guess to start another topic, what are other using for tracking there workouts. I currently use the Garmin 920XT with the Tri HRM., I also use the Garmin Connect to download and view the results. I have also synced this with the Training Log here, the only issue and I have spoken with the managers about this. Is the inability to fully edit the type of work out, i.e. I use the indoor run to track when I am lifting since the watch only has Swim, Bike, run and tri modes, I can edit it in Garmin Connect to Strength Training, but it does not update in the BT Tracker and the option to edit it is not there either. Not a real big deal since I don't use the lifting data for anything serious.

Another question I have is what others are doing for swim intervals.

Lastly, what are other doing for their strength training?

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-02-10 9:25 PM
2016-02-11 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Quoting Scott's reply:

Rather I am saying that a good run begins on the bike.  In my opinion, the bike is where you really can make some substantial improvements by adding intensity.  Because cycling is no-impact (when you do it right and stay on the bike), there is little danger in adding intensity.The main thing is to begin adding a couple of intense bike sessions each week - keep your Z2 long ride as an outdoor ride (when the weather improves and you can ride outdoors) to maintain your bike handling skills.  Intensity might look like some over/under intervals, some VO2 MAX intervals, or some sweet spot/tempo rides.  Here again, quite a lot of the triathlon plans out there have a good deal of endurance work but not a lot of intensity.  On the bike, intensity will pay huge dividends.

Scott ... thanks for putting this down and tying this back to the run.  Two things from this were revelations to me ...

1. as we get 'older' we somehow lower or drop the intensity (definitely my case)
  2. add hi-intensity cycling workouts each week ... regardless of how early one in into their 'training plan'

Somehow I've gotten in the mindset that building the base comes first, as in don't do hi-intensity stuff until the much later weeks with training and them "ease into it".  Last year I put in a good amount of saddle time early in the season, and I noticed improvement with my HR levels dropping with local rides - but I never got faster. I could ride all day at 80% max HR ... just not any faster.   I'm betting that the lack of hi-intensity workouts contributed to the loss of speed.  I began training this week (to hell with the barn) and already did an easy 65%-75% MP ride, I'll definitely work in some drills at hi-intensity levels moving forward.

Thanks - Dorm

2016-02-11 7:44 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Spencer, New York
Here's a quick report on my running with the Maffetone method: For 5 weeks now I've limited my running to keep HR at a very low level, except for an occasional short brick. So far, so good.
My pace per mile running low in zone 1 still seems unbelievably slow, but it's dropped by a minute in just those few weeks while keeping the same HR.
My HR is more steady. No more of that giant surge as I accelerated before being thoroughly warmed up.
I can run some small hills again without it getting above target.
Best of all: I've been free of the injuries that have been chronically recurring. Not only that, the little nagging aches that I didn't even consider injuries are pretty much absent. I didn't even know they had been there until one day I noticed that they were gone.
Next best: my runs are truly recovery runs. My overall exhaustion level has gone down and I'm more capable of handling my intense and/or long cycling efforts and increasingly challenging swim workouts. I have more energy for the rest of the day too.
My easy run speed is still much slower than I was running before (when I was sound, that is.) But I have read over and over on more than one running site that the easy run should be EASY. If your easy pace is typically 10:00m/m, for instance, there is nothing to be gained by running at 9:00, and nothing to be lost by running at 11:00. (Except maybe you'll get colder outside. So dress warmer, I've learned.) In fact it seems there may be much to be GAINED by running slower and saving the speed for the hard workouts.
I do like Steve's take on things, that every workout should have a specific purpose.
And Steve, have you ever heard of the Strassburg Sock? I've never suffered from plantar fascitis, but I've heard it really speeds healing. https://thesock.com/works/
One week from today I'll be on a plane headed to East Africa, to visit one of my daughters who makes her home there. I'll squeeze a little running in between kite-surfing and hiking in the rain forest, but it'll be a break from real training. One of the big things that motivates me to persist in my somewhat crazed athletic regimen is that it leaves me fit to truly enjoy any kind of pursuit (almost) that the world has to offer, and gives me the stamina to endure the 24-hour plane travel to get there.
The attached picture is my other big motivator. Dave (in Alaska?) it's especially for you.
Deb

(IMG_0238.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0238.jpg (1648KB - 4 downloads)

2016-02-11 8:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I guess to start another topic, what are other using for tracking there workouts. I currently use the Garmin 920XT with the Tri HRM., I also use the Garmin Connect to download and view the results. I have also synced this with the Training Log here, the only issue and I have spoken with the managers about this. Is the inability to fully edit the type of work out, i.e. I use the indoor run to track when I am lifting since the watch only has Swim, Bike, run and tri modes, I can edit it in Garmin Connect to Strength Training, but it does not update in the BT Tracker and the option to edit it is not there either. Not a real big deal since I don't use the lifting data for anything serious.

I have both the 920 XT and the Fenix 3 (they were both gifts that I did not ask for).  I actually prefer to use my 310 XT for day to day workouts.  I use a Garmin 810 on the bike only because I like the mapping function (it can give turn by turn directions much like a car GPS which is handy on long rides where you end up someplace you aren't familiar with).  The run HR strap is nice but nobody can tell me what to do with the additional data.  I don't need the swim metrics, and I prefer not to do swim workouts with a watch (bad enough that I have to wear the watch when I race) so I really don't need the added funtionality of the the 920 or the Fenix.  I will admit to wearing the Fenix as a day to day watch however.  That is nice because if I'm away from home and have time to do a run I just hit a button and am good to go.

If it were me, I wouldn't use my watch at all for the strength workouts and just record the time manually.  Time isn't really an important part of a strength workout, the things you want to track are exercise, repetitions, and weight.  I just jot down a loose approximation of total time.  If you develop your "standard" routine, you will find it takes you pretty much the same amount of time every time.

Not exactly sure what you are asking.  Are you asking about workout plans or are you talking about send-off intervals?  If you are talking about send-off intervals, those are somewhat individual if you want the biggest bang for the buck.   Let me know which one you are referring to and we can go from there.

I am a big fan of incorporating regular strength work.  I think it is important for all triathletes but especially for those of us that are beginning to get a couple gray hairs.  Here is the strength routine I use.  During the off-season I do this three times a week.  Once the season starts and my volume begins to ramp up I drop to two times a week.  Starting about 4-6 weeks out from an 'A' race and during the taper I don't do any strength work.  This routine generally takes 30-45 minutes depending upon how much rest you allow between sets.  As to weight - at the last interval of an exercise (so each bullet point if you will) you want to feel like you could do three or four more repetitions, therefore not so much weight that you are at exhaustion, but nearly so - hopefully that makes sense.  I am suggesting machines because I don't know your history and how familiar you might be with free weights.  If you are VERY familiar with free weights then substitute free weights for the machines as appropriate.  

As your bike and run volume ramps up I would drop the leg work out of the strength routine.

• 2 x (12-15) Ab Crunch Machine - strengthening the core, helps all three disciplines
  • 2 x (12-15) Back Extension Machine - strengthens back and core, helps all three disciplines
  • 2 x (12-15) Lat Pull-downs - Wide Grip - Overhand Grip - specifically helping the swim pull
  • 2 x (12-15) Seated row - strengthening the core, helps all three disciplines
  • 2 x (12-15) BICEPS - Machine Curls - will improve the swimming catch and beginning of pull
  • 1 x (12-15) Incline Bench - Machine - strengthens shoulder/chest helping with swim
  • 1 x (12-15) Seated Bench Press - Machine - strengthens shoulder/swim helping with swim
  • 2 x (12-15) Machine Lateral Raise - strengthens shoulder helping with swim recovery
  • 2 x (12-15) Machine Tricep Extensions - helps reaching full extension at end of swim stroke
  • 2 x (10-12) Squats body - weight at first, add weight as you get stronger - strengthens quads
  • 2 x (12-15) Standing Calf Raises - strengthens calf muscles
  • 2 x (12-15) Leg Press - strengthens quads, glutes
  • 2 x (12-15) Hamstring curls - strengthens hamstrings
  • Prone Planks – 4 x 30" w/30" rest, build to 4 x 60" w/30" rest- strengthens core, helps all three disciplines
  • Side Planks - 4 x 30" w/30" rest, build to 4 x 60" w/30" rest- strengthens core, helps all three disciplines
  • Balance ball crunches - 2 x (12 - 25) - strengthens core, helps all three disciplines
  • Balance ball Supermans - 2 x ( 12 - 15) - strengthens back, helps all three disciplines
  • Good Mornings - 2 x (12 - 15) - strengthens back, helps all three disciplines

Hope that helps.

Edited by k9car363 2016-02-11 8:58 PM
2016-02-12 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Scott and Steve – thanks for the recommendations on my training plan.  I think I’m going to up the intensity on the bike and add a 4th day of swimming when I can. 

Scott – I printed out your sprint build 3x plan and will try to work with that.  I’ll need to do the STP test first.  Also, I’m still working on getting a video of me swimming (hoping maybe on Sunday I can get someone at the tri club swim to do one for me) so maybe you can help me figure out what I need to work on.

Janet

2016-02-12 9:17 AM

User image

I have both the 920 XT and the Fenix 3 (they were both gifts that I did not ask for).  I actually prefer to use my 310 XT for day to day workouts.  I use a Garmin 810 on the bike only because I like the mapping function (it can give turn by turn directions much like a car GPS which is handy on long rides where you end up someplace you aren't familiar with).  The run HR strap is nice but nobody can tell me what to do with the additional data.  I don't need the swim metrics, and I prefer not to do swim workouts with a watch (bad enough that I have to wear the watch when I race) so I really don't need the added funtionality of the the 920 or the Fenix.  I will admit to wearing the Fenix as a day to day watch however.  That is nice because if I'm away from home and have time to do a run I just hit a button and am good to go.

If it were me, I wouldn't use my watch at all for the strength workouts and just record the time manually.  Time isn't really an important part of a strength workout, the things you want to track are exercise, repetitions, and weight.  I just jot down a loose approximation of total time.  If you develop your "standard" routine, you will find it takes you pretty much the same amount of time every time.

Not exactly sure what you are asking.  Are you asking about workout plans or are you talking about send-off intervals?  If you are talking about send-off intervals, those are somewhat individual if you want the biggest bang for the buck.   Let me know which one you are referring to and we can go from there.

I am a big fan of incorporating regular strength work.  I think it is important for all triathletes but especially for those of us that are beginning to get a couple gray hairs.  Here is the strength routine I use.  During the off-season I do this three times a week.  Once the season starts and my volume begins to ramp up I drop to two times a week.  Starting about 4-6 weeks out from an 'A' race and during the taper I don't do any strength work.  This routine generally takes 30-45 minutes depending upon how much rest you allow between sets.  As to weight - at the last interval of an exercise (so each bullet point if you will) you want to feel like you could do three or four more repetitions, therefore not so much weight that you are at exhaustion, but nearly so - hopefully that makes sense.  I am suggesting machines because I don't know your history and how familiar you might be with free weights.  If you are VERY familiar with free weights then substitute free weights for the machines as appropriate.  

As your bike and run volume ramps up I would drop the leg work out of the strength routine.

• 2 x (12-15) Ab Crunch Machine - strengthening the core, helps all three disciplines
  • 2 x (12-15) Back Extension Machine - strengthens back and core, helps all three disciplines
  • 2 x (12-15) Lat Pull-downs - Wide Grip - Overhand Grip - specifically helping the swim pull
  • 2 x (12-15) BICEPS - Machine Curls - will improve the swimming catch and beginning of pull
  • 1 x (12-15) Incline Bench - Machine - strengthens shoulder/chest helping with swim
  • 1 x (12-15) Seated Bench Press - Machine - strengthens shoulder/swim helping with swim
  • 2 x (12-15) Machine Lateral Raise - strengthens shoulder helping with swim recovery
  • 2 x (12-15) Machine Tricep Extensions - helps reaching full extension at end of swim stroke
  • 2 x (10-12) Squats body - weight at first, add weight as you get stronger - strengthens quads
  • Prone Planks – 4 x 30" w/30" rest, build to 4 x 60" w/30" rest- strengthens core, helps all three disciplines
  • Side Planks - 4 x 30" w/30" rest, build to 4 x 60" w/30" rest- strengthens core, helps all three disciplines
  • Balance ball crunches - 2 x (12 - 25) - strengthens core, helps all three disciplines
  • Balance ball Supermans - 2 x ( 12 - 15) - strengthens back, helps all three disciplines

Hope that helps.

Thanks Scott, I was not actually seeking advice, though, I will graciously accept all advice and criticism. I was just curious as to what other are doing and use to track their progress.
I have used the 310XT as well and did like it a lot, I moved up to the 920 for the swim metrics, however, like you said above, I ma not sure how to really incorporate all the data the watch provides. I do have a rudimentary understanding of the basic numbers and how the gauge improvement, which has help a lot. I do wear it all the time now as my daily watch and activity tracker.

With swimming I am currently participating in a 100 mile event where we track distance swam and hit milestones alone the way from our town (Delta Jct, Ak) to Fairbanks 100 miles to the north. I generally swim, 1-2 miles 3 days a week, and try to vary how I get there each day. Some days I will swim 50 or 100 yard intervals, the next 500's and every couple weeks I will push through a 1 or 2 miles event. As I get closer to race prep I will modify this to fit my planned race schedule, but, for now it is just swimming to keep the muscles working.

I follow the same basic concept for running and biking at this time, with the conditions outside being so varied, I try to run as much as I can outside, although, many times I have to opt for snowshoes and hit the hills in and around my office. Biking of course is totally inside and for now hit it once a week to maintain.

My daily strength training is not that different from yours, I too believe it is very important and greatly needed to help maintain our muscle tone and mass as we age, it is much easier to maintain the try and rebuild once we lose it. I prefer using Dumbbells to machine, for me this adds a bit of core stability to each exercise. I lift 6 days a week for about 30-45 minutes per event, concentrating on the upper or lower body and taking off on Sunday. I used moderately light weights and higher repetitions due to shoulder and knee issues and have found this has really helped strengthen the muscles around the joints allowing me to continue with less pain and more flexibility. I also do Kundalina Yoga a couple times a week to help with the flexibility. The program "Yoga for Athletes" is great.

My first race this year will not be until 1 May here in Fairbanks (The Break Up Tri) which is a Sprint distance event. I will begin training in earnest at the end of Mar as I look to get ready for the HIM in August.

Thanks for all the great info presented here it is awesome, Dave.

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-02-12 9:21 AM
2016-02-12 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hope that helps.

This is pretty similar to what I try to do twice a week.  I use mostly free weights and sometimes the cable machine (if it's not being used by the baseball players).  I also add in some ball bridges and hip thrusters since I've had trouble with my hips.  

Janet

2016-02-12 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

So I'm signed up for my first race for season.  It's in just a few weeks ... March 12th, the Azalea Sprint Tri, in Wilmington NC.  I've done this race for several years now, and it's probably the easiest triathlon one can do ... basically the bike and run are flat, with the run route within the UNCW campus. 

I have a swim coaching session today at my gym to help with technique.  This has been a long time coming, but I found out yesterday that one of the instructors at my gym is a swim instructor so why not take advantage of it?  I don't mind working harder, as long as it's also working smarter.

My workouts this week have all been bricks ... and I'll do the same today to incorporate some dreadmill time along with the swim.

Hope all have a good weekend ... Ciao Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2016-02-12 10:34 AM

2016-02-12 10:33 AM

User image

Here's a quick report on my running with the Maffetone method: For 5 weeks now I've limited my running to keep HR at a very low level, except for an occasional short brick. So far, so good.
My pace per mile running low in zone 1 still seems unbelievably slow, but it's dropped by a minute in just those few weeks while keeping the same HR.
My HR is more steady. No more of that giant surge as I accelerated before being thoroughly warmed up.
I can run some small hills again without it getting above target.
Best of all: I've been free of the injuries that have been chronically recurring. Not only that, the little nagging aches that I didn't even consider injuries are pretty much absent. I didn't even know they had been there until one day I noticed that they were gone.
Next best: my runs are truly recovery runs. My overall exhaustion level has gone down and I'm more capable of handling my intense and/or long cycling efforts and increasingly challenging swim workouts. I have more energy for the rest of the day too.
My easy run speed is still much slower than I was running before (when I was sound, that is.) But I have read over and over on more than one running site that the easy run should be EASY. If your easy pace is typically 10:00m/m, for instance, there is nothing to be gained by running at 9:00, and nothing to be lost by running at 11:00. (Except maybe you'll get colder outside. So dress warmer, I've learned.) In fact it seems there may be much to be GAINED by running slower and saving the speed for the hard workouts.
I do like Steve's take on things, that every workout should have a specific purpose.
And Steve, have you ever heard of the Strassburg Sock? I've never suffered from plantar fascitis, but I've heard it really speeds healing. https://thesock.com/works/
One week from today I'll be on a plane headed to East Africa, to visit one of my daughters who makes her home there. I'll squeeze a little running in between kite-surfing and hiking in the rain forest, but it'll be a break from real training. One of the big things that motivates me to persist in my somewhat crazed athletic regimen is that it leaves me fit to truly enjoy any kind of pursuit (almost) that the world has to offer, and gives me the stamina to endure the 24-hour plane travel to get there.
The attached picture is my other big motivator. Dave (in Alaska?) it's especially for you.
Deb

Deb, I had never heard of the Maffetone method and had to actually read up on it a little,and, found it quite interesting that it is very similar to what I did in the early stages of my transition from a couch lump ( I couldn't bring myself to embarrass a potato) to where I am now. My knees and shoulders both ached and had limited mobility. Work very slowly with weights and running, I began to improve and see results in increased strength, range of motion and most importantly decreased pain. I fought the urge to move up too quickly, thus risking incurring more injury. The road t recovery s a slow and deliberate one that cannot be rushed.

I too also have some pictures that motivate me, the best one I cannot share here, was taken by my daughters friend of me from behind, It is very unflattering and I will not return to that guy.

Have fun and be careful in Africa, I am a bit jealous, I will get there one day as I desire to climb Kilimanjaro. Dave
2016-02-12 4:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

So ... I've been lurking here a bit on your posts on the Maffetone method.  My very limited take on this is simply run slower -  for longer.  So after my swim coaching session today I climbed on the dreadmill and ran 2 miles, albeit at a slower pace.  By slower pace, I mean slower by 30-45 seconds/mile pace.  My max HR was lower by 10bpm and it seemed I could've gone another mile if I'd had the time.

I must say WOW ... when I got in the truck I noticed there was little to no stiffness.  I had a business meeting afterwards and again - little to no stiffness, and now at home with little stiffness.

2016-02-12 6:25 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Have fun and be careful in Africa, I am a bit jealous, I will get there one day as I desire to climb Kilimanjaro. Dave

AK Dave,
There's a Mt. Kilimanjaro Marathon/ HM/5k, and I'll actually be in the country (Tanzania) on the race date this year. But no, I've been recovering from my injuries & although running, not training for a race; so not this year. If I had a bucket list, it might be on it. The race doesn't go to the top, just around the base, but the altitude's pretty high. Africa's beautiful & the people are courageous, friendly, & resilient. It just gets bad PR in the media.

There's so much to do in the world, I have to live a long long time--and in good health. Too bad I had to waste all those years working!

Deb
2016-02-12 8:57 PM

User image

AK Dave,
There's a Mt. Kilimanjaro Marathon/ HM/5k, and I'll actually be in the country (Tanzania) on the race date this year. But no, I've been recovering from my injuries & although running, not training for a race; so not this year. If I had a bucket list, it might be on it. The race doesn't go to the top, just around the base, but the altitude's pretty high. Africa's beautiful & the people are courageous, friendly, & resilient. It just gets bad PR in the media.

There's so much to do in the world, I have to live a long long time--and in good health. Too bad I had to waste all those years working!

Deb

Deb, I will have to look into that race, it sounds fun. I have had the opportunity to travel extensively, through Asia, Central and South America, Europe, climbing and other training with the Army. However Africa has eluded me, I hope as I retire in October to make it back to some of the places I have been and go to some new ones as well. Dave
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17514 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open