BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-04-17 9:02 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Triathlon Cheat
Really interesting and in depth article on AG Triathlete Julie Miller...and her suspension by Triathlon Canada and Ironman for multiple counts of cheating. Pretty crazy stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/sports/julie-miller-ironman-triat...

Steve

2016-04-18 8:58 AM
in reply to: dahoffman72

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: What's on tap for the weekend?

Dave - congrats on your race!

First race of my season complete.  Race report here if interested.  Short version - I finished it.  I wasn't last, but pretty close to it.  Swim went well, had a minor issue on the bike (I hate U-turns!), and the run was OK.  I did realize that I still have a lot of work to do on the bike if I'm going to be prepared for my HIM in 4 months.  I'm going to start doing some longer Saturday morning rides with the tri club so hopefully that will help.  Next up - Chain of Rocks Bridge duathlon next weekend.

Janet

2016-04-18 9:30 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
Originally posted by soccermom15

First race of my season complete.  Race report here if interested.  Short version - I finished it.  I wasn't last, but pretty close to it.  Swim went well, had a minor issue on the bike (I hate U-turns!), and the run was OK.  I did realize that I still have a lot of work to do on the bike if I'm going to be prepared for my HIM in 4 months.  I'm going to start doing some longer Saturday morning rides with the tri club so hopefully that will help.  Next up - Chain of Rocks Bridge duathlon next weekend.

Janet

Congrats on your race, Janet. Always great to get a race done relatively early in the season. The great thing about a race is how it provides really clean feedback on strengths and weaknesses. Glad you were seriously injured when you went down on your bike.

Steve
2016-04-18 9:35 AM

User image

Janet

Good Report Janet, sorry to hear about the U-turn debacle, they can be a PITA, I prefer the Power straps to clip-ins for the shorter races, still allows me to get the upstroke, but no need to change shoes. Overall, glad your OK and found where you need to work for next time. I have one more road race (23 Apr 10K) before my first Tri which is sprint 1 May. Hope all are well and pushing forward.
2016-04-18 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Nice job Janet ... it's good to get a race under your belt early in the season.  I had similar issues when I first started with the clipless pedals.  My son-in-law used to say a 'ride' wasn't complete unless I'd fallen.  And usually the pedals were the basis for the fall.  I've had both the SPD style pedals (with the small metal shoe clips) and the "Look" style pedals with a large plastic clip.  To me, the LOOK pedals seem to be a bit more forgiving with clicking in and unclicking ... but this is just my opinion. 

I put in a 42 mile ride over the weekend which is my longest ride this year.  We rode in an area I used to ride in, but had not ridden there for a couple of years now.   I was curious to see yesterday's performance as compared to previous rides ... given the amount of training put in this year.  I must say I was pleased with the STRAVA results from yesterday's ride ... a few PB's and other good results always make one feel like the training and sweat are worth it.

Hope all have a good week

Ciao - Dorm

2016-04-18 8:11 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Back from the dead

Originally posted by lutzman

So it's been a hard couple of months and I apologize for the extended disappearance. You'll see me more often around here in the coming months.

Best, Steve

Hey Steve,

Happy you are back, I think I speak for the entire group when I say you have been missed.

Just remember, the more challenging the journey, the sweeter the reward at the end.

2016-04-18 8:21 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open

Originally posted by Mountaindan

As for us mere mortals, I can hope to someday turn on a 10k time of 53min let alone after a swim/ bike. Definitely something to strive for.

I know, right?  Maybe Steve has discovered a new training plan!  I would be ecstatic to run a 53-min 10K on my BEST day, let alone after an extended illness and at the end of a HIM.

2016-04-18 8:26 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dahoffman72 God luck Janet, go like the wind... I too had a race this weekend the Beat Beethoven 5K, not too bad for the first road race of the year.

Great race Dave.  ~ 7:31/mile pace?  Don't talk to me!

Just kidding, great day!

2016-04-18 8:30 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Janet

Hey Janet,

Good race report.  You know, there is a silver lining to your bike incident.  There are two classes of cyclists - those that have fallen, and those that are going to fall.  At least now you no longer have to endure the anticipation of the inevitable fall because of the pedals!

2016-04-18 10:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by k9car363

You know, there is a silver lining to your bike incident.  There are two classes of cyclists - those that have fallen, and those that are going to fall.  At least now you no longer have to endure the anticipation of the inevitable fall because of the pedals!

Yeah, what Scott said, this was me last year coming into T-2, had gotten off course and trying to make up time and forgot..."No Riding into the T zone. Never stand on the brakes with a head of steam. No rules against rolling into T 2, and of course my daughter is right there camera in hand.

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-04-19 3:13 PM

(20150809_dirtydeeds-tri_086 (853x1280).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150809_dirtydeeds-tri_086 (853x1280).jpg (894KB - 4 downloads)
2016-04-19 5:37 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dahoffman72

You know, there is a silver lining to your bike incident.  There are two classes of cyclists - those that have fallen, and those that are going to fall.  At least now you no longer have to endure the anticipation of the inevitable fall because of the pedals!

Yeah, what said, this was me last year coming into T-2, had gotten off course and trying to make up time and forgot..."No Riding into the T zone. Never stand on the brakes with a head of steam. No rules against rolling into T 2, and of course my daughter is right there camera in hand.

Flattering picture Dave!  And of course your daughter was there to provide art that will last a lifetime.  I think sometimes our kids find these unusual ways to remind us of how many times we told them "NO" as they were growing up!

2016-04-19 9:22 AM

User image

Regular

Yeah, what said, this was me last year coming into T-2, had gotten off course and trying to make up time and forgot..."No Riding into the T zone. Never stand on the brakes with a head of steam. No rules against rolling into T 2, and of course my daughter is right there camera in hand.

What a fabulous photo! Now that is a triathlon action shot!

Steve

2016-04-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri

Janet

Hey Janet,

Good race report.  You know, there is a silver lining to your bike incident.  There are two classes of cyclists - those that have fallen, and those that are going to fall.  At least now you no longer have to endure the anticipation of the inevitable fall because of the pedals!

Yeah, I knew it had to happen at some point.  I'm just glad it was a low-speed fall.  Felt kind of ridiculous though lying there with my bike still attached - even after falling I couldn't get my feet unclipped.  The guy who was there at the turnaround tried to help me.  I didn't think my cleats were that tight, although I think it was more frustration than anything at that point.  

Dave - nice picture!  At least you were in the grass so it was a bit softer landing.

2016-04-19 8:19 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Janet - Nice race and report. Glad you survived the spill ok.

Ak Dave: Solid run, man! I'm going to start wearing snowshoes during my track workouts to help my run speed.
And btw, I'd score your dismount at roughly a 5.9 And so great that your daughter was there to document it.

2016-04-19 9:25 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Regular
Subject: A Tuesday Interval workout
I finally mustered the motivation to hit the track tonight. It was the first time out there in a very long time. I tried to calculate the appropriate interval pace using my VDOT score. Since I don't have a solid run/race to use, I had to guess a bit. It looked like my VDOT put the interval at a 7:20 to 7:30 pace, so that's what I used.

The workout was a simple one: one mile warm up followed by 8 X 800 at a 3:40 pace with full walking recovery, half mile cool down.

And that's what I did. It's unseasonable warm here (mid-80's) so that added an additional challenge for a cold climate guy like me.

It was hard as all interval workouts are, but not killer and I managed to hit the 3:40 pace pretty much right on the money each time. Overall, it was a solid workout.

Run fast to run fast!

Hope you're all having a good week.

Steve

2016-04-20 9:47 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Here we are midweek and looking forward to the weekend. I have another road race Saturday (Tok Trot) in Tok, Alaska I nice flat 10K, then it is two weeks until my first Tri (Break Up Tri (Sprint)) on 1 May. Getting excited for the summer of races, 7 triathlons, 2 10Ks, 1 Half Marathon, and more 5ks than I can think about. Here's to good health and an injury free summer for all.

2016-04-20 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Well, the weather is much warmer here and great for cycling and running outdoors.  It is a bit breezy, but well ... we can't have everything.  My week's activities are around cycling and I will work in some running.  The weight thing I mentioned earlier is still an issue and I have to get in some running to try and drop 15lbs or so.  Today and tomorrow it's intense interval training sessions on the trainer and followed up with a 50-55'ish mile ride on Saturday.

This winter has been my first real attempt to train using power (watts) as the measure instead of HR or perceived effort.  I am pleased with the results thus far as my power output has increased 60 watts since my first time trial ~5-6 weeks ago.  Given I can drop 10-15lbs, and continued training, I'm working to increase my max power by another 50 watts.  I have to work on endurance too, so my aim is to increase the long weekly rides at least 10-15 miles each week until mid-May.  At that point my longest ride would be between 80-100 miles.  Given I can increase the power and longer rides, I should be OK.

Ciao - Dorm

2016-04-20 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Video of a smooth, fast T1 transition

If someone could help with how to post this I'd appreciate.  I recorded a short video at my first tri in March of the leaders going thru T1.  One of the guys is the eventual winner at 43:08.  For the runners here, he posted a 17:20 run leg.  I was really impressed at how calm, cool and smooth this transition was, and at 58 seconds, his was 1st in T1 time overall.

Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2016-04-20 1:12 PM
2016-04-20 8:24 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Janet--thanks for the race report. It's always great to have a little public humiliation to keep us humble. Right, AK Dave? That's a prize-winning photo by the way.
Janet, when I started using clipless pedals I always unclipped one foot in advance of every single turn, stop, and even gravely patch (having fallen at all of these). It's easy enough to clip back in when you're going again.I still do this sometimes when making a U-turn on a narrow road. It's great practice as well as keeping you safe.
I'm not one to watch much sports on TV, especially marathons. (Can anyone say b.o.r.i.n.g?) but a friend called my attention to the absolutely fantastic, dramatic women's finish at Boston on Monday. Atsede Baysa was not running even close to the front pack, and :37 behind the leaders at mile 22. That's a lot of distance. At mile 25 she caught up, and then went on to win with a 43 second lead! This just does not happen in a major race like this. It was gloriously inspirational to watch, even as a rerun.
You can watch it here if you want. Just jump to about 2:30 into the whole race video.
http://watchlive.baa.org/
Have a good week & weekend everyone. Water temp in my pond is up to 60° so I hope to jump in just to set up my buoy line, as well as having a bike ride outdoors, longer than last weekend.
Deb
2016-04-20 8:35 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Video of a smooth, fast T1 transition

Originally posted by Dorm57

If someone could help with how to post this I'd appreciate.  I recorded a short video at my first tri in March of the leaders going thru T1.  One of the guys is the eventual winner at 43:08.  For the runners here, he posted a 17:20 run leg.  I was really impressed at how calm, cool and smooth this transition was, and at 58 seconds, his was 1st in T1 time overall.

Dorm

I don't know that you can post a video on BT, at least I have never figured out how to do it.  What you can do is create a YouTube account, upload it there, and then share the link here in the forum.

2016-04-20 11:56 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Video of a smooth, fast T1 transition

Steve - Interesting article on cheating.  I can't fathom why a person would feel the need to cheat like Ms. Miller.  What would be the chances of a person losing two timing chips?

Janet - Congratulations on your race.  I too hate those falls.  I would say X2 on what Deb says about unclipping.  It is also a good idea to practice U-turns to get more comfortable with them.

AKDave - I loved the photo.  Wouldn't you know someone would be right there to catch it.  Your running is awesome.  

Dorm - I'll be curious to see your video.  I don't get how some people can do such fast transitions.

2016-04-22 9:39 AM

User image

Just registered up for my 7th Tri, the Alaska Senior Games. For us Grey Beards this is an awesome event and lots of fun if you have not competed in them you should. Open to ages 50 and over, sort of like the Geriatric Olympics, event for all capabilities. These events are growing every year with nearly every state now hosting the games,with a national event help every other year (this year is a qualifier for next years national games in Alabama). Come on out and PLAY!!

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-04-22 9:42 AM
2016-04-23 10:02 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

Just registered up for my 7th Tri, the Alaska Senior Games. For us Grey Beards this is an awesome event and lots of fun if you have not competed in them you should. Open to ages 50 and over, sort of like the Geriatric Olympics, event for all capabilities. These events are growing every year with nearly every state now hosting the games,with a national event help every other year (this year is a qualifier for next years national games in Alabama). Come on out and PLAY!!

I've done the Senior Games a couple of times. AK Dave is right, they're a lot of fun. I even did the National Senior Games in 2013 in Cleveland. It's quite an experience to be one of the younger participants in a race, and very inspiring to see triathletes competing in their late 80's. I think that was the start of my mental revision of what aging could be like if I so chose. Which I did.
Deb
2016-04-23 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by dahoffman72 Just registered up for my 7th Tri, the Alaska Senior Games. For us Grey Beards this is an awesome event and lots of fun if you have not competed in them you should. Open to ages 50 and over, sort of like the Geriatric Olympics, event for all capabilities. These events are growing every year with nearly every state now hosting the games,with a national event help every other year (this year is a qualifier for next years national games in Alabama). Come on out and PLAY!!

Dave ... you are a MACHINE!

2016-04-23 6:04 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I rode 58 miles today.  This is my longest ride this year and I wanted to share some thoughts with the group ... things that worked and some things learned.

1.  I took 3 water bottles with me and was fine - 2 on the bike and 1 in my jersey.  The 2 bottles loaded on the bike were the taller water bottles and I put 2 tabs of NUUN in each bottle ... 3rd bottle just water.  I never had an issue with a cramp or even felt a twinge.
  2.  4 Stingers and 4 gels in my jersey.  I ate the Stingers during the ride and think I had 1 or 2 gels left.  I probably should have eaten a bit more as I was running on fumes the last 10 miles.
  3.  Sunscreen ... I didn't apply any pre-ride and the left side of my neck is absolutely fried!  My chest and shoulder, also same side were burned ... makes me wonder if the jersey has any sort of sun protection.
  4.  I had issues with my hands going to sleep and eventually this worked into the full fledged 'stinger' ... wherein you have little strength in your hand at all.  I made shifting with my left hand difficult.  SO the learning from this is - work on my core strength, wherein I don't rely so much on my arms to hold me upright.  I've had a bike fit done,so don't feel this was the cause - more due to lack of core strength and keeping the hands light on the bars.
  5. I've started taking an Aleve or Motrin about an hour into the ride to help with in-ride and post ride soreness or stiffness and this seems to help with overall recovery as well.  I usually do this if I'm riding for >3 hours or so.  I do not know if this violates any rules or such, but it sure helps me get through a long ride and feel better afterwards.
  6.  Power meter.  My son-in-law schooled me to set my Garmin main screen reading top-down - POWER - HR - SPEED.  In training/riding with a power meter, I know what my max power output is, such that I try to ride at 75%-%80 max power.  Obviously there are times wherein you'll max out and beyond, but on the overall this gauge has helped me to conserve energy.  His basis on the speed is simply when it's your turn to take a pull, you know what the group speed is and work to maintain that speed.

Sorry for the long winded post, but these came to mind.  Hope all have a good weekend.

Ciao - Dorm

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17504 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open