General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-01 9:04 AM

Subject: New to tri
Hi,

I'm 32, female and live in Ontario and I'm new to the world of tri. I used to be a competitive swimmer and after leaving the main club at 18, I joined the Masters club. A lot of the people in that club were triathletes so they were my first real exposure to that world. I was curious about it but I hated running at the time so decided it wasn't for me.

To make a long story short, I run now but was starting to find the training a little dull. The idea of being a triathlete instead appealed because of the variety in the sports. I've been a member on here for a few years now but don't believe I've ever posted, mostly because this was a nice idea rather than something I was going to do.... until now! My 2015 challenge I set myself was to run a half-marathon, which I did in Niagara Falls. My 2016 challenge is to do my first triathlon. I'm aiming for the K-Town triathlon, probably the long distance tri. I'm also planning on doing the Ottawa Early Bird long distance to get some practise on things like transitions and learning how to run on wobbly legs. I guess joining the local triathlon club would be good too. And buying a bike is probably recommended!

I've been training in the gym for perhaps a month already with a custom plan from this site. I didn't think the training was going too well because I was able to meet the distance goals but not in the times given. Honestly, I felt a bit crap about myself and decided to just repeat week 1 over and over until I could do it. I realised recently that the gym equipment (I don't like running outdoors in the snow) was all set to miles so not only was I doing better than I thought, I was doing far more than the training plan wanted! Such a boost to realise that.

For me, my cycling and swimming are fairly strong sports but my running is really letting me down so I'll be focusing on that as much as possible. I'm also working out with weights too, which I love more than cardio in all honesty. My latest weight achievement was 2 x 10 reps at 110lb for a seated leg press and then, since that was too easy, doing some more reps at 130lb. I'd like to move onto free weights soon because I think they're better but the male-dominated weight section is a little intimidating....

Anyhoo, just checking in.
Cat

Edited by catpea33 2016-01-01 9:05 AM

2016-01-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: catpea33

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: New to tri

Welcome to BT and triathlon, Cat! (I also jumped over from swimming ... I was sure I'd hate running but I actually wound up doing a marathon before a triathlon!)

You may be interested in a mentor group, click below:

BT Mentor Program 2016

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Not new to TRI, new to the board

Started by NavyTRIChief
Views: 1046 Posts: 4

2008-01-30 7:52 AM Ron

New to Tampa Bay...new to Tri...like to meet cyclists

Started by Apodysophilic
Views: 878 Posts: 8

2007-09-29 2:23 PM betsy

new to tri's new to the site

Started by trophytaker
Views: 796 Posts: 4

2007-08-16 6:21 AM dredwards

New to Tri's, Not new to competition

Started by backfromarun
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2007-08-05 1:28 PM xraymenow

Fairly new to tri's, new to this site.

Started by jamma
Views: 1054 Posts: 9

2004-06-17 12:10 AM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.