BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2016-02-17 11:10 PM
in reply to: MCRed

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!)
I watched a bike race video recently where the leader averaged 26 mph, his cadence was 90 to 115 RPM for pretty much the entire race. The majority of folks will say 90 rpm is pretty decent to aim for in any kind of bike race. If you are pushing 25 mph you might rev a bit higher. You can work low rpm and high rpm in workouts, but you race in the 90s. Low rpm high resistance will cook your legs more than high rpm in a race.

2016-02-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Welcome Melody.

The weather cooperated today so I was able to get a nice 8 mile run today. My work day ran long so I ended up on the trainer late last night. When ever I am spinning I try to maintain between 90 and 100 rpm. On the road, I try to stay between 85 and 95. I am normally pretty happy with my speed when I am in that range.

Tonight I will be speed work in the pool and a easy run.
2016-02-21 6:45 AM

User image

Portland, Maine
With the warm and sunny weather (50F), I finally got out for a ride yesterday! 27 miles on flat and rolling hills.

Thanks for the feedback on cadence Steve and everyone. I've always worked to spin around 90-100 and it has felt good for me on the bike and I've gotten my average speed in a sprint race up over 20mph this way last year. But I have had trouble on the run leg and have thought that was because it is my weakest sport (it still is) and I need to work on pacing on the bike better (I'm sure I do).

The most interesting part of the article I linked is quoted below = the author's contention that it is more effective for amateurs to train for bike strength over cardio and that this is a better approach specifically for triathlon vs pure cycling. I'm not planning to change my approach as like everyone here I feel good about spinning 90+, but I think I can already feel the benefit of the low rpm/high resistance training we have been doing in spin class (my power already felt stronger on the road yesterday than last year), so my thinking is to keep training with a mix of high rpm spinning and low rpm hill/climbing work this spring. In retrospect this sounds obvious, but I had to feel the benefits for myself to really commit to it in my training in the future.

[...] It is much more trainable at an amateur level with time restraints to get “bike strong” than build the massive aerobic capacity to deal with spinning 100 cadence for literally hours and hours on end, then run off the bike.

‘But won’t the bigger gears destroy my legs for the run?’ I hear many ask. Without the proper adaptation and specific on bike strength training – of course they will! But that’s the point. It is a far more time effective method than trying to spin your way to improvements, which take years and thousands of dedicated high rpm training sessions. [...]

2016-02-21 7:35 AM

User image

Portland, Maine
Originally posted by MCRed

In the 60's here in KC today which was awesome, so nice to not have to bundle up for my run today! Did an easy 3.5 miles on rolling hills. Followed up with 1000 yds in the pool. Working on building up endurance with the swim but it's a struggle. Currently trying to do sets of 100s or 150s with decreasing rest in between. Every few weeks I do a long set to figure out where I'm maxing out, but it hasn't increased much the two months or so. Any other tips?

I'll be interested to hear the discussion on bike cadence, something I've struggled with (but I also haven't spent enough time on the bike, whoops).

Hi Melody, what is your RPE or HR when swimming your 100's or 150's, and how much rest are you taking between each? You may be swimming at too fast a pace and it may help to slow down some in order to work on building distance (without rest). You will eventually get faster with practice as you put in more yards which will help you develop *both* swim-specific fitness and better technique.

How would you rate your swim technique now? If this is your primary limiter, you may not see much gain due to being inefficient in the water. I've been a competitive swimmer for a long time and can tell you that with an efficient technique it takes very little effort to swim at reduced paces (fast paces are a another story!). It can take time to get there but the benefits of improved technique can be great. A good site with a lot of info is swimsmooth.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/intermediate.php
http://www.swimtypes.com/concept.html

You may also want to try a clinic to get feedback form a local swim coach -- this can be very valuable since it's difficult for most people to objectively recognize problems with their stroke. Seeing a film of yourself swimming is very helpful!

Lastly, a different way to measure progress that you may like to try is "swim golf". Basically you count the number of strokes it takes to go a fixed distance (I like 50 or 100 yards) and then add this to the time it took to cover that distance in seconds. Like golf, lower scores are better, and improvements in either technique or fitness/speed will both reduce your score.

Hope this helps!
2016-02-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: brian027

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Yesterday it was an awesome day in the Carolinas. Was able to get out for a nice 35 mile ride after a swim techniques sessions. It was great. Still working on improving my swimming.

Today I was scheduled for a 16 mile run, but my body just wasn't having it. I ran for about 3 miles and couldn't get any rhythm nor ease. It would have been 3 torturous miles so I called it a day and walked home with my tail between my legs.
2016-02-21 7:41 PM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yup, trainingwise you want to work hard gears and high rpms as well as your normal feel good cadence. I just wouldn't want to mush all the way through a race in hard gear for an IM then go run a mary afterwards. At the HIM level I have done 20mph, but at the IM level I drop down to 17.5 -18.

Long day 14 mile run 3700 yard swim.

2016-02-21 9:29 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Thanks Brian for the tips! I've worked the rest between 100's/150's down from a minute a couple months ago to 30-40 seconds, and have had no problems completing sets. I will try slowing down in a session this week and see how far any endurance I've built up can take me. I've been to a couple of swim clinics, and been given drills to work on each time, so I do several sets of those each time. Going again in a few weeks. I will check out the websites & try "swim golf" this week as well! Appreciate the help. 

This weekend was 8 mile long run, with middle 4 miles at half marathon race pace, on Saturday and 3 leisurely miles in the sunshine today! It's been like spring in KC, will be sad for winter to return later this week. 

2016-02-22 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Looks like everyone had some nice weather this weekend. We did too and I loved it. Yesterday, hubby and I went on a trail and did a nice easy run. Stunning day. We have signed up for a rather tough 25K in early April and I'm not sure what I was thinking. I'm not a trail runner; too klutzy. The goal of that race will be to not kill myself, enjoy the views, try not to fall too much, and finish. And my GF and I have finalized our May girl's weekend and we are going to sign up for the marathon. Another GF is going too! Goal for that race is train enough to do a slow finish. I know that I could drop to the HM if I need to but I've done that once already this year so doing again would be too wimpy.

Wish I could help on the bike questions but I'm the worst cyclist ever. That does remind me tho, I would like to do a local charity ride in June so I need to see if I can work that in around the May marathon. Argh! I know it can be done -just not sure if it can be done my me.
2016-02-23 7:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Portland, Maine
taking it easy this week. My hamstring tightened up during my 13 mi long run on Sunday (weather was great though!). Fortunately I have convenient access at work to a PT so I got looked at today and they did some things to relax my lower back and even out my hips which made an immediate difference and I'm feeling quite a bit better already, so hopefully this will be a short recovery. Going to stay with just cycling and swimming this week and maybe get back to running this weekend if everything feels good by then.

Edited by brian027 2016-02-23 7:33 PM
2016-02-24 12:36 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Brian, if you PT lets you walk, I would do walks or elyptical for your run workouts. Do a brisk non impact walk for say 4 miles or whatever as many days as you would have run. It will maintain much of your run fitness, keep your legs loose without stressing them with impact. That is what I do anyway. If your PT says don't walk or run, then listen to him/her.

Good workout today 7 mile run with half mile repeats at 7:30, 7:30, 7:24, 7:18, 7:13, 7:08, 6:58 paces and then a 3700 yard swim.
2016-02-24 7:39 PM

User image

Portland, Maine
Thanks, that sounds like a great idea Steve. I have a follow-up with PT tomorrow morning so will see what they say, but I'm feeling a lot better already today so am hopeful i'll get the ok to start running easy again soon.

Finally got into the pool for my first swim of the season. Woke at 5am to get in at 5:45 (I still don't like getting up early in winter when there's snow on the car and no light in the sky but it was worth it!). Got in 3000 yards in just over an hour (15x200y @60s rest). Stroke felt clumsy and awkward at first so tried to focus on form and it settled in pretty well after about 20 minutes. My endurance has dropped a lot though so will definitely need to work on it and keep getting in the pool regularly! Finished the day with spin class so got in two good workouts despite no running and leg is still feeling good.

A couple days ago i got signed up for a 2.5 mile ocean swim in my area (Peaks to Portland) in July. Looking forward to this race so very motivated to swim now!

Hope everyone else is having a good week!

2016-02-24 7:44 PM

User image

Portland, Maine
this may be a dumb question but how do I enable the "training log" and "race log" buttons at the bottom of my posts?
2016-02-25 10:41 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hey all!

Welcome to a few more newbies.. 

Training is going well, coaches have me in Phase 2 - more building, more strenuous workouts.. 

Today was a lunch 45 minute run - started too fast, felt good..  ran out of gas and energy.. couldn't wait to get home and eat a sammich. This evening was swim - did about 1600 + yards longest set was 200 yards. a bunch of 25 yard sprints, a few form drills.

Long bike tomorrow as Sunday will be too busy.. Last Sunday, even though the weather was nice, I stayed in on the trainer and watched the Daytona 500.

First event, Savin Rock HM, is Marhc 19th. I will then leave on a week long cruise on the 20th.. What a way to recover.

Keep on keeping on..

-Dennis

2016-02-26 10:30 PM

User image

Portland, Maine
Good news - PT says I can get back to running slowly so I started with a 5 miles easy yesterday and will do something slightly more on Sunday. Today I swam 3000y, felt a little better than my first swim last week, though my shoulders are nice and sore.

Hope to get out on the bike tomorrow but it's going to be windy so not my favorite weather. We'll see!
2016-02-26 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all,
So nice to see the old faces, and nice to see the new ones.
Just a quick post, I'll post my bio soon.

Dennis - good to hear how you are doing. You are a real inspiration with your new healthy lifestyle and consistent training. I'm registered for the Boston expo, signed up for the kettle bell workshop. Hope to see you there. The HEAT facebook site mentioned carpooling and getting together for dinner afterwards. That would be nice. I haven't done the running activities with the group, didn't realize how in shape they'd be so early in the season - guess most of them never get out of shape.

Will be back soon...
Mitzi
2016-02-26 10:54 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
melody, welcome. hopefully your boyfriend comes around. i got my wife to do a couple with me before i married her. i have to do all the motivating, but just training with her makes it easier.

interesting read regarding cadence, brian! took a look at my last race, an oly last year and averaged 91 rpm at 21mph. But i should be incorporating lower cadence training too

those interested in swim golf, your garmin may alrady have that metric, labeled 'swolf'.

brian and matt, you got great bases going already. i did a 7-mi run today. and signed up for a 17.75k race on april 2. part of the marine corps series around here. if i finish i'll get priority registration for the marine corps marathon in dc. not sure if i'm marathon material yet but it's nice to have the option

brian, gl on the ocean swim. my lasters is heading to tampa in the spring to do a 6-man swim relay marathon. wish i could've fit that in my schedule.

dennis, enjoy the cruise. i love those things.

2016-02-27 10:59 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Had a great swimming week - took some of the advice Brian gave about checking HR and slowing down. Didn't track HR exactly, more just perceived effort, but being aware of it sure helped. Also found an interesting article on how swimming can be mentally harder than running/biking being underwater, so your brain thinks you need more air and induces panic, when really you just need to calm down. So I also worked on ignoring my brain calling for air. Managed to get my longest set ever at 500 yds - a big deal for me, as my first tri last summer (where the swim was 500y) I wasn't even close to hitting this! 1000y on Monday (w/the 500) and 1000y on Wednesday, did 6x100 w/30 sec rest - did all in 2:10-2:15. 

Running was a little down this week - I've long battled shin splints off and on, and they kinda started griping at me this week so I took a day off of running and went to be social with some friends instead, probably a good mental break for me too! Did a solid 6 mile run this morning though, that felt good. Nothing fast, but kept it even effort throughout. Hit two crossfit classes this week for strength training. Working on keeping efforts "easy" (aka fairly light weight) to help with fatigue & dead legs I've fought the last few weeks - it seemed to help! 

Going to enjoy the 60 degree weather in KC AGAIN this weekend! Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

2016-02-27 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
It is great to see everyone's activities. As the season progresses, you will be amazed at your successes. This is really a one step, one day at a time sport.

I am starting my HIM training regiment this week, so more swimming, cycling to come. I am also traveling this week which means I will be spending way too much time on a stationary bike and in small pools where you have to do lap after lap after lap to get any distance.

Excited because my first tri of the year will be in a couple of weeks. It's just a super sprint, but I always judge my offseason workouts by the outcome of the race. I know it may not be fair to myself, but I like the measuring stick.

**Stuck in El Paso**
2016-02-27 6:40 PM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Any room in the pool for another group member?
2016-02-28 9:19 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay the gang is all showing back up!

I was out of town at a conference and had a little bit of a bug so didn't work out for 2 days then was feeling like just staying home today, but got off my butt and had a good day. I started with a 9 mile run to the lake and stopped for a few minutes to watch the bass fishing tournament guys way in their fish. The biggest bass I saw weighed in at 10.5 pounds (large mouth bass) and the biggest total for 5 fish was the same guy with 36 pounds for 5 fish. Very impressive. I finished my 9 mile run then went and swam 4000 yards. I think that my prior IM training plans were too lite on the swim. So this time I am going a bit heavier on the swim with the hope of getting faster, though I probably won't. In any case, the 4000 yards felt good for how early I am in the build. I have a 3 mile race next weekend and then a half mary the weekend after, then my build will start to increase.

On the life balance part, work is getting pretty crazy, but I have a handle on it. Many state reports and such going on and trying to turn around our special education department. It is interesting that our town has been rated as the laziest city in the California. This is kind of a combination of multigenerational dependence on welfare, heavy drug abuse, significant crime and overall poverty. It is a good place for me to make a difference, but a lot of work. I am slowly trying to improve practice while trying to maintain and then improve morale. It is a lot of work, but I am never bored at work, that is for sure. I do miss having my wife live 300 miles away though.

Anyway, great group so far, everyone is rocking it and we will have some great adventures this year. I am so excited. Just keep at it and you will all be impressed at what you can accomplish. Even when things go badly, it is an adventure that is way more interesting than sitting on the couch.
2016-02-29 7:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Glad to see so many familiar faces!!

NAME: Michael Doherty/Mike

STORY: Born again athlete at age 43. Did my first tri in September 2010. Signed up w/o knowing how to swim, couldn't run far, and little biking. Managed to finish strong, and I was hooked. Have done 25+ races since including sprints, oly, and HIM distance. Was sick for most of 2015, had surgery for a couple things, and did no races, and had minimal training. Now feeling better, and ready to get back into it, although I'll be near starting over.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years, 2 kids - girls ages 12 and 16. They keep us busy with sports, school stuff, etc

CURRENT TRAINING: Lots of false starts but have started my plan for June race (a sprint) and will get back to logging

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2016): June sprint is only thing on the calendar. will add a few local races. thinking of doing an Oly in august as a good goal.

2015 RACES: A big zippo

WEIGHTLOSS: Oh, yes, please. One of the horrible parts my illness last year is that eating was one of the things that made it feel better.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've been through this a few times with Steve, and many others here, and hope to get support and give it as I continue my journey. While I may be starting from back of the pack, the knowledge I've gained may help not only me, but others here.

Edited by Mike_D 2016-02-29 7:10 PM

2016-02-29 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5158591

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hit the pool this am for the first time in a while. Felt ok, but tired quickly and my form suffered. One positive is that my 100's came in around 1:40-1:45 so if I can get fit and get near 1:30, I'd be happy.

My masters coach was there and I spoke to her. Will b rejoining them next week. Her workouts are brutal, and I'll b back in swim shape in no time.
2016-03-01 12:45 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
February is in the bank, here are my numbers.

Swim: 12h 03m 19s - 35025 Yd

Bike: 16h 54m 55s - 330.33 Mi

Run: 16h 56m 36s - 102.65 Mi

For our new folks it is a local tradition to post your monthly totals, good bad or ugly. I'm happy with the swim, ok with the bike, meh with the run, but in good shape overall for my base training.
2016-03-01 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'll get on with the monthly reporting starting end of march. Very very little to report for Feb for the most part.

Did get out for a nice run/walk this AM. It was a bit breezy along the water, but it was invigorating. I felt great and it was a very positive 30 minutes of huffing and puffing.
2016-03-01 9:59 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Recovery weekend for half marathon training - so "only" 6 miles on Saturday - kept it fairly easy as I'd been fighting some fatigue all week, and had a big event that evening I wanted to still be fresh for. It's nice that 6 feels so easy and like an "only" though I try hard not to use that word with running - any running is good, no matter the distance! Explored a park and some trails I'd never been to just a few miles from my house on Sunday! Speed work starts tonight. It's probably been 10 years since I've done any kind of real, organized speed work - yikes! But my running coach also told me I was sandbagging my estimated paces, so I guess that is encouraging  

1100 yards in the pool last night - did 4x200 with 90 seconds rest. My very athletic boyfriend who only swims once a week and only started swimming again about a month ago (who also still refuses to commit to a tri this summer...) did the same workout with me - maybe 2 minutes rest instead. Oh to have that natural ability at every athletic endeavor you try!

February totals:
Swim: 4800 yards (this is BY FAR a record for me! Yay!)
Run: 55 miles
Bike: maybe 2 miles. On a really nice day I rode to the Starbucks near my house to read a book... I don't have a bike trainer, so pretty hindered on this. Going to focus on it pretty hard after my half marathon is over. 
Strength: 6 Crossfit classes + 2 days of skiing

On that note, I had a few questions about making some small changes to my bike. I am still on a Trek hybrid, though considering an upgrade to a road bike this summer. I haven't ridden nearly as much as I should, especially because I wasn't sure how much I'd like the triathlon thing when I started last summer. Turns out I love it, but still haven't spent much time on the bike since my focus has been on running & swimming for the last few months, and I just can't squeeze it all in right now with half marathon training (plus other life things going on). So I don't want to make the jump until I feel like I've gotten really comfortable and gotten what I could out my hybrid. My thought was to upgrade to clipless pedals on the hybrid and get used to those this spring/early summer, and then transition to a road bike. I don't want to have to try to get used to both things at once. Any tips or recommendations? Should I just make the jump to a road bike instead? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf