BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2016-03-01 10:07 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!)
run 5:30 34 mi
bike 4:53 69 mi
swim 3:03 4.83 mi

soccer 3:47
snowboarding: 5:00

it's a work in progress.

anywa, i'm beginning to think of logistics regarding trvaling to nebraska for the tri in august. anyone have tips regarding traveling with a bike, or traveling for a race in general? best practices? airline fees can be $150 each way for delta and aa, i think, but southwest's fee is $75 each way, so i may do that. i'd rather not ship it, because shipping would be almost as expensive and i don't get to travel with the bike. any hardcase recommendations? anything?

2016-03-01 11:41 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hardcases tend to be really expensive $500 to $1200. I researched them a while ago but don't remember the specifics. I have always driven to my races as most have been within 2500 miles of where I live (so close).

I would be tempted to just go straight to the road bike with the clipless pedals. The main thing is to practice getting out of the pedal while holding onto a poll or the wall, not when you are at a stopsign. Remember to unclip one foot about 20 to 40 feet from where you want to stop, not after you have stopped or you will tip right over.

Swimming is kicking my butt. Pace and distance are ok, but it is fatiguing me pretty good for my other workouts.
2016-03-02 8:18 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Steve, did you know my hubby fished pro bass trail for about 10 years? I've spent many, many, many days at weigh-ins. Nice that you got to see it.

Melody, you mentioned shin splits. I'll mention this in case it helps. Always look at shoes first (for any problem) to insure they are not worn out. Then for 1 minute, count your steps when running. If you are less than 180, you could be overstriding which cause heel striking and jarring and causes the shin splints. Hubby had shin splints and found he was doing about 150 steps per minute. Shortened his stride, went to 180 steps per minute, and things improved.

Feb Totals:
Run: 12h 57m - 69.6 Mi
Core Training: 3h 40m
Stairmaster: 19m
Walking: 1h 35m
Yoga: 9h 55m

Not good totals. But also, thankfully, we sold 3 rental houses in February and I got our taxes done! So maybe the training wasn't great but so much mental strain is now gone! I have done several happy dances lately.

2016-03-02 9:44 AM

User image

Portland, Maine
Feb totals -- pretty happy with these:

Swim: 3h 13m 47s - 9250 Yd (only been going a couple weeks now)
Bike: 13h 32m 31s - 63.62 Mi (most time indoors)
Run: 12h 23m 37s - 78.39 Mi

This week I'm coming down with a cold. took yesterday off (needed a rest day anyway) but feeling pretty tired still today. Trying to decide how to manage training through this. I want to rest but also not go flat from too little training.

Any suggestions?
2016-03-03 12:30 AM
in reply to: brian027

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Getting through a cold while training is very personal. One strategy is just rest and recover. The other is do what you can without toasting yourself (low intensity, drop your shortest workout in each sport,, get in only a basic weekly workout until your stamina returns.

Shin splints are typically old shoes (more than 350 miles on a pair), wrong pair of shoes, not enough support or wrong kind of support (pronate suponate vs neutral). Other problems are overstriding or trying to do speedwork or build too fast before you have a thick enough base. Cures are to get new shoes, ice your shins, use marathon stick on muscle near shin or foam roller and decrease intensity to walk if need be and then ease back into a jog walk after a couple weeks, returning to full run workout after like 3-4 weeks. It depends on how much pain and how quickly you recover.

My shoes got a bit old, I felt it in my legs and changed them out. Really should track them better.
2016-03-03 10:01 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

My past shin splint problems were all biomechanical problems (scoliosis makes my hips uneven, fallen arches, etc.) and lack of strength. I spent several years off an on in physical therapy working on it, and seemed to have finally kicked it. Lack of strength combined with trying to ramp up mileage too fast was just a recipe for problems. I've been running solidly over a year now with no problems, and if something does flare up, I can get in to my PT/running coach pretty quick for active release therapy which has worked wonders for me. I also hit the foam roller about 5 days a week, which helps too. SO glad it's finally under control, now to just keep it that way! 

Actually, this was the reason I found triathlons in the first place - I knew I should stop trying to train for long distance stuff for a while, so I viewed the swimming/biking as cross training and finally just signed up and took the plunge. The year off doing really low mileage stuff and cross training worked wonders, and made me a lot stronger - seeing running paces I haven't hit in years. 

Started speed work this week for my half marathon training - 2x1 mile repeats @ 8:00 pace. Not very many of them, but mile repeats are difficult no matter how many there are. 

2016-03-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: MCRed

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Just popped in to post February totals:

Swim: 11h 24m 50s - 19775 Yd
Bike: 11h 07m 10s - 161.1 Mi
Run: 11h 30m 23s - 56.55 Mi
Strength: 5h 07m
Device Upload: 1h 00m

I LOVE the fact that BT gives me credit for "Device Upload" - even tracking the tracker..  ;-)

Wow, looking back at the numbers, pretty consistent 11 hours for each discipline.. 

Finally did a run LT test - ouch! - will need to go over the data w/ my coach..  Didn't push as hard as I could, yet burnt out at 20 minutes - he wanted 25. Hit laps intervals at 5, 15 and 20 ish..

Mitzi - I will not be in Boston.. Did not sign up for spring swim clinic, will pop in as a drop in when and if people post their vacancies.

More to come later..  busy, busy busy..

@Steve - you WILL get faster..  no negativity regarding your swim speed... 

Best,
-Dennis

P.S.  I have started a "beginner triathlete" section to my personal blog and will also help to mentor new people through HEAT, my tri group..  Please read the last post and send me feedback / suggestions / topics..  I KNOW you will see a LOT of information I have gleaned from this group..

http://dennisbosse.com/triathlon/a-beginners-guide-to-triathlon/

Hope to post the next installment later today / tonight...

2016-03-04 11:45 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Sorry that I am a little late posting. Just made it back to civilization.

Swim: 2h 26m 14s - 6600 Yd
Bike: 6h 12m 05s - 120.44 Mi
Run: 12h 02m 17s - 84.92 M

My numbers are horrible, but this month will be much better. Work and injury took it's toll.
2016-03-04 8:05 PM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Portland, Maine
I ended up very low energy with my cold so decided to just rest for 3 days.

Finally felt good enough today to resume and got 7 miles in on the treadmill. I'm so much happier when I can get a workout done!

Weekend weather is looking up so hoping to get out for a nice run and ride.
2016-03-05 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay won my age group in a 5k today in the cold and rain with about a 6:43 mpm pace. Pretty good since my 800 repeats have been in the 7:30 to 7:00 mpm pace and my mileage is lowish at 32 miles per week. My 7th grader ran a 6:02 mile and my 5th grader ran a 6:36 mile. My sons placed 4th overall and 2nd in age group.

Now to figure out pacing for the half mary next week on my current training.
2016-03-05 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Congrats Steve. I have a 20 mile run tomorrow and it will be my first real long run since November. Trying to decide whether or not I want to run a full marathon next Sunday. More than likely I will end up doing the half but I am so tempted to do the full again.

2016-03-05 9:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
If you are going to do a mary next weekend you certainly would not do a 20 mile run this weekend...... that would be inviting injury. Even with a half, you don't want to do more than about 7-9 this weekend.
2016-03-07 9:43 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Originally posted by Baowolf  Now to figure out pacing for the half mary next week on my current training.

Would like to see your thought process as you work that out?

Congrats on the race.. sounds like it was fun all around... Kids are doing well.

A lot of good stuff happening so early in the season. - Really nice.

For the swim clinic - I went from 5:40 for 200 yards to 4:35 - dropped 1:05 for 200 yards. in the past 3 months..  Now to shoot for sub 2:00 / 100yd. - that will take some time..

Saturday's training run did a PR for 15K and 10 mile..  overall a good weekend..

Half marathon in 2 weeks..  last years result was 3:04

This year's goals

1. Finish healthy and with a smile
  2. Beat last year's time - sub 3:00 hour
  3. Finish under 12:00 min/mile (2:40)
  4. Performance / stretch goal - sub 2:30 (11:30 min / mile)

2016-03-08 9:13 AM

User image

New user
Here are the Feb numbers:

Swim 9,913 yards - 5h22
Bike 66 mi - 4h27
Run 21 mi - 4h05

Overall progress from Jan.
Proud of the swim, cycling kicking my butt and cautiously increasing running.

Congrats all on your training!

In 2013 I chose to switch from my hybrid bike to road bike with clipless pedals all at once. Got used to both quickly but not without falling twice at stop signs, with people looking. Guys at my lbs told me that it was a rite of passage, that everyone will fall at least once, just get it done and be over with it
So I did, fell twice and never looked back ! Good luck!
2016-03-11 6:52 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Best of luck to Ken and Dennis on their races! Anyone else racing soon?

Steve, congrats on the race!!!! And to your fast, fast kids.

Had a 10k last weekend. (If I had done the 5K race, I might have even won the female side based on the times.) We ran the 3 miles to the start line, did the race, and then the 3 miles home so it was nice to get in about 12 miles. Vacation this next week and hope to get in some runs in the morning. HM the day after we get back from vacation. Really wanted to go hard in the HM but since we have a tough 25K two weeks later and because my training has been less structured, I'll have to dial it back and live to fight another day.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2016-03-13 12:40 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Well...I'm REALLY late posting! I was hit by a pretty brutal chest cold so February was a little lower on training volume than I would've liked. Nothing is worse than being sick and unable to swim/bike/run to lift your mood. Hopefully March will be better!

February totals:

Swim: 4h 57m 01s - 15706 Yds (Some very slow swims i.e. >2:00/100m, ...but improving)
Bike: 10h 18m 31s - 155.80 Mi
Run: 8h 16m 05s - 48.25 Mi (Horrah, outdoor running!)

Next race is a HM May 1st. Tri season doesn't really start here until June, but I'm hoping to register for a few sprint distances then. Nothing like Pam's crazy race schedule yet!

2016-03-13 6:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So long day so far. Daylight savings time made me get up functionally at 2:30 am to drive to race this morning, then half mary in 46F Rain all day and 13 mph winds. Also I had been running a fever on and off for 3 days with nasty cough. The race was solid until around the half way point when the muscles I abused in my fast 5k last weekend started to protest (calves, quads and hip flexors a bit). Long story short ended up with a 1:43:56 time paced 7:55 mpm. Interestingly that turns out to be a PR since I haven't run a half mary since my first year of endurance sports, so it was a 9 minute PR. In contrast I have run a 1:35 half mary as part of a full mary so not perfect, but good enough (but then I was running 20 more miles per week at that time). That put me in the top 6% overall and 22nd in age group with total participants just short of 5000. More importantly I whooped all my peers from work who went to the race with me by more than 25 minutes, so bragging rights.

I looked up the guy who won first in my age group and well... his pace was 5:46 mpm pace. I can do that for maybe a mile, but for a half mary in the rain and wind, oh my.

Hope our other racers had better weather, brrr.

Edited by Baowolf 2016-03-13 6:56 PM
2016-03-14 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Finished up my notice period at my previous (yay it's previous) job! It was way past time for that. Will now be freelancing/contracting and able to determine a schedule that works for me, not against me. Started the day with a 3 mile walk on the most beautiful day of 2016 so far. Not sure that I'll be tri-ing, but will be walking, riding my bike, and being more active overall that I was sitting at a desk and in traffic. Freedom is indeed sweet!
2016-03-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

New user
Carol wow good for you! I envy you so much right now, glad you make that decision for you and hope you enjoy your new way of life!

I am down with a sinus infection, was doing flip turns at the pool last weekend and became all dizzy, I cannot lower my head or it will explode, even on the bike it is unconfortable, I'm all out of breath by doing only a light effort.

All this as I begin to feel pressure, my oly race schedule was published yesterday and butterflies started flying in the stomach.
I will try to run tonight although it is cold and raining here, hoping I can at least maintain some type of cardio going on while the sinus thing goes away.
Bleh...

Steve Congrats on the race with a cold, in the rain no less with a PR! Much respect
2016-03-16 8:31 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Portland, Maine
@Pam GL on the HM. hope the training over vacation is going well and looking forward to hearing how it goes!

@Isabella & @Erica I've also been down with another cold and seemingly a sinus infection last week and also wife was out of town so I had to manage everything with the kids on my own which didn't leave much time (or energy!) left for me to train... I fell asleep really early a few nights too, so apparently needed the rest. glad I'm feeling better but it can be frustrating to miss the training time.

@Steve nice work on the HM race despite not feeling well and the conditions being difficult! good practice for your mental toughness I imagine

I'm still struggling with tightness with my right hamstring, and now also the IT band. Working with PT and it seems to be improving with their help to relax everything and get my muscles even & balanced again. so I'm taking it easier with the running still and trying to ramp back up my distance slowly and just listen to my body.

i did get back in the pool this week and had a nice 3000+ yard swim over lunch and then a bike/run brick workout after work which felt good!
2016-03-19 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
So sorry that so many people have been sick. Hopefully the weather will improve as will all of the colds.

Steve, 1:43 HM is sick! Congrats! Especially in those conditions. Nice that you have bragging rights at work too.

HM today. Expected it to rain on us the entire time but it held off for the whole race. Hubby and I ran together and he pulled me thru my side stitch and I pulled him thru the last mile.

Vacation at Mexico Beach, FL was awesome! The weather was perfect. Hubby and I had a great time exploring the neighborhoods, beach, and a state park with some running and lots of stopping to look at the birds, flowers, fish, and other interesting things.

2016-03-19 5:36 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Congrats Steve on your PR. I was unable to run in my HM due to hamstring and calf tightness and didn't want to risk it.

Pink Sock, hope your race goes well.

Did a super sprint today and my time was not what I wanted but ok. Another race under my belt.
2016-03-20 5:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm legs still pretty smoked on my 9 mile run today in the rain.
Swim was ok 3500 yards but not fast.
Interestingly there were a couple high school swim team kids doing 50 second 100 yard sets next to me. Simply amazing, don't know how it works that they can physically swim that fast.
2016-03-20 6:49 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Glad to hear everyone's training & races are going well. I did a 4 mile St. Patty's Day race last weekend, it was incredibly humid that day and I was overdressed, but it went pretty well - 8:18 average over 4 miles, and out sprinted a lady I ran the whole way with at the end, both a success for me! Unfortunately, it left me pretty sore for a few days, plus another speed work session on Tuesday, by the end of the week my chronic shin problem was griping a little. This weekend I've spent quality time on my bike, and spin class, and did a 6 miles on the elliptical (thank goodness for streaming TV...), and seem to be doing a lot better! Hitting up a little PT Tuesday and then will be back to running. I'm sure a few days of no impact helped a lot. 

I opted for the road bike & clipless pedals all at once - I bought a road bike yesterday! But it was not available in store, so I am waiting to have it shipped and built. Nothing like dropping a ton of money and not getting anything to show for it for another week. I ended up getting a Trek Silque SL. 

I have also had a really weird rash crop up that my doctor thinks is a strange reaction to chlorine??? I went to a different pool this week, it's the only thing "different" I did all week long - I tripled checked everything I ate (I have celiacs, so I'm pretty rigid in my eating habits), soap/laundry detergent is the same, no new lotions, etc. Has anyone ever heard of this, or had a problem with it? What do I do about it? The doc gave me a two week dose of steroid to get rid of the current rash, and told me to stay out of the pool for two weeks which I'm SUPER bummed about because I've been making such great progress! 

2016-03-20 8:08 PM

User image

Portland, Maine
@pink - glad your race went well. sounds like a good pairing with your husband to be helping each other at different points in the race.

@melody - looks like a great bike I wouldn't know what to do for a week with that coming new to me! My wife got the aluminum Lexa SL from trek last year and loves it.

@Steve - it's been 25 years but I at the peak of my sprint career I swam a 48.x sec 100y free race at a state meet when I was in high school. In my experience going fast in the water like that is a wholly different way to swim - basically you try to turn your arms over as fast as possible, hardly breathe at all, and take big advantage of the walls off the start and turns (especially with a strong dolphin kick!). I fondly remember one of the ways we practiced speed which was to attach a long (15ft?) length of surgical tubing to one end of the pool, attach the other end to a belt around the waist, then slowly stretch it to the other end, and finally let it pull us through the water like a speed boat while we let'r rip and cranked arms over at super speed. Amazing feeling! But now I've really come to enjoy and prefer training for endurance races, though I've had to learn different training approaches to get there.

For fun, here's a couple links of Caleb Dressel, who as a sophmore at Florida recently swam the fastest 50 yard free race ever (!) at 18.23 seconds, and a few days later took the American record in the 100 yard free at 41.07 seconds. His start and turn in the 50 are amazing. Watch how much farther ahead he is than the rest of the field. Winning the 50 with a whole body length lead is astonishing! We'll almost certainly be seeing him at Rio and I'm excited to see what he can do as he keeps developing!

https://swimswam.com/race-video-watch-caeleb-dressel-swim-18-23-in-5...

https://swimswam.com/caeleb-dressel-sneaks-under-adrian-american-rec...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf