BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-01-17 9:46 PM
in reply to: #5158713

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group
Hello, may I join again?

My name is Maura. This is my third year since getting into triathlon, and I was active in this group two seasons ago. Last year was pretty much a loss racing-wise as I had my second baby in April. He's 9 months now and amazing, and I'm ready to jump back in with both feet! I meant to race last summer, and trained enough that I could have completed a sprint, but the scheduling never worked out with work and life and it didn't seem worth rearranging the world just to cross a finish line.

As for my background, I grew up a swimmer and swam competitively in high school. Didn't do much with sports in my 20s, but started running about 5 years ago. Triathlon seemed like a logical progression and a good way to get back into the pool, so I bought a road bike and started learning how to ride it in 2014. Cycling is still tough for me. I'm afraid of traffic and lost my workout area to a basement flood last summer (we're DIY-ing the remodel and it's taking FOREVER), so I mostly ride spinning bikes at the Y. My job requires call a few times a week, which also limits my outdoor training time.

I haven't signed up for any races yet this year, but need to start looking at calendars and requesting the weekends off of work. That will make it easier to plan training. I've been keeping it low key this fall and winter, just fitting in what I can. No long workouts and I'm trying to get strength training in a couple of times a week. We just got back from a 2 week vacation, and it's time to start making a little more time as the season gets closer. We have a local team that I trained with in 2014, and I'm planning to rejoin. My goals are to get back on my bike, outdoors, at least once a week, and to hopefully build to Olympic distance by the end of the season if I can find a suitable race.

Hello everyone!

2016-01-18 12:09 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome back Maura!

When you get some races on the calendar let us know!

What area do you live in? If there is anyone else in your area they may be able to make some race recommendations. 

2016-01-18 1:57 PM
in reply to: #5162287

I'm in NE Indiana, so our earliest races are in April. I'll start looking ASAP though!
2016-01-18 3:15 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by burner2
I checked out that video, and you're right--the bike doesn't look too technically demanding. Some single track with some dirt road and plenty of room for passing. The off-road race I do in July is all single track--once we get off the pavement and to the park area--so if someone wants to pass, we have to stop and get completely off the trail. I think it's a bit more technical, too, with lots of sharp turns and low-hanging branches, usually at the same time. However, the run part is on paved path. I'm not sure I'd want to run through a river in my good running shoes! Maybe pull out an old pair for your race. But, it looks like a lot of fun, and if I could find a nearby Xterra like that one, I would definitely give it a try!

I plan to scout the bike course before signing up since the venue is local. I believe a friend of mine told me that she had done that race, so I'll pick her brain a little, too. But, yeah, I wouldn't be wearing my best running shoes for that race. I actually bought some trail running shoes this winter and I would most likely wear those. But the river crossing (and the whole race in general) looked like a lot of fun to me!
2016-01-18 3:30 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: Too early for speed work?
As I've started up my training again, I've mostly been logging a lot of miles at a lower intensity level. I have been striving to keep myself under control and not go to fast. I try to keep an eye on my heart rate and do my best to keep it in Zone 3 the best that I can. I have thrown in a few miles at a higher intensity level, but I'm wondering just what my objectives should be this early in the year knowing that I won't be able to race until sometime in June. Should I only be logging low intensity miles to build a strong aerobic base? Is it OK if I at least throw in an occasional 5K time trial or some higher intensity miles? Or am I OK to build some speed work into my training even though I'm still 5 months away from the start of my racing season?

I don't mind doing most of my miles keeping the intensity relatively low. But I do like to get in some higher intensity workouts and work on my speed. I don't want to be training so hard that I might risk injury or burnout, but I also don't want to just mindlessly be logging miles without having some purpose. I also have my first 5K of the season in mid-March and I want to post a strong time to kick off my running season. What are most people doing 5 months before the start of their race season? This time last year I was just getting back into training after a 2 month hiatus. But this year I took much less time off from training and I'm in much better position to make some gains. I'd like to take advantage of that situation, but I want to do it right.

So what's better, just logging low intensity miles to build my aerobic base (setting myself up for bigger gains later in the year) or should I allow myself to at least put some effort into my speed even this early in the season?
2016-01-18 6:10 PM
in reply to: #5162371

Potential Races 2016
I just requested these 3 days off, although I don't always get my requests. Hopefully I can do:

5/21 Pokagon Sprint
6/25 Winona Lake Sprint
7/23 Tri Lakes Olympic (gulp!)

If I do any others it will probably depend on my work schedule and other commitments, and they'd be more like B/C races. Incidentally, does the BT race page show 2016 races for anyone else? Only one is listed for Indiana at this time, but another site had like 25 scheduled already.

2016-01-19 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Too early for speed work?

Originally posted by rjchilds8 As I've started up my training again, I've mostly been logging a lot of miles at a lower intensity level. I have been striving to keep myself under control and not go to fast. I try to keep an eye on my heart rate and do my best to keep it in Zone 3 the best that I can. I have thrown in a few miles at a higher intensity level, but I'm wondering just what my objectives should be this early in the year knowing that I won't be able to race until sometime in June. Should I only be logging low intensity miles to build a strong aerobic base? Is it OK if I at least throw in an occasional 5K time trial or some higher intensity miles? Or am I OK to build some speed work into my training even though I'm still 5 months away from the start of my racing season? I don't mind doing most of my miles keeping the intensity relatively low. But I do like to get in some higher intensity workouts and work on my speed. I don't want to be training so hard that I might risk injury or burnout, but I also don't want to just mindlessly be logging miles without having some purpose. I also have my first 5K of the season in mid-March and I want to post a strong time to kick off my running season. What are most people doing 5 months before the start of their race season? This time last year I was just getting back into training after a 2 month hiatus. But this year I took much less time off from training and I'm in much better position to make some gains. I'd like to take advantage of that situation, but I want to do it right. So what's better, just logging low intensity miles to build my aerobic base (setting myself up for bigger gains later in the year) or should I allow myself to at least put some effort into my speed even this early in the season?

This far out the bulk of your run training should be slower volume based work. Use your bike trainer and swim workouts for the higher intensity stuff. 

Now this is a hobby, and we do it for fun, so if you want to mix in some higher intensity running than do so, but it is not really necessary this far out from your first race.  If you do, build into it slowly and make sure you are good and loose and warmed up before any fast stuff. A hamstring pull, or calf cramp, or knee ligament injury can come out of nowhere during hard sessions. This is especially true as we age, so use sparingly. There will be plenty of time to start gearing up to race day pace as you get closer to those dates, IMO.

2016-01-19 12:16 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 Potential Races 2016 I just requested these 3 days off, although I don't always get my requests. Hopefully I can do: 5/21 Pokagon Sprint 6/25 Winona Lake Sprint 7/23 Tri Lakes Olympic (gulp!) If I do any others it will probably depend on my work schedule and other commitments, and they'd be more like B/C races. Incidentally, does the BT race page show 2016 races for anyone else? Only one is listed for Indiana at this time, but another site had like 25 scheduled already.

I'm only seeing Muncie 70.3 when I search Indiana. My guess is its a user generated list and just nobody has put any races in yet. If you go under the Races tab and then select My Races, it gives you an option to  "add a race" in the upper right hand corner. I'm guessing people have to add whatever races they are doing before it will show up in a search.

2016-01-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Too early for speed work?
Originally posted by Dominion

This far out the bulk of your run training should be slower volume based work. Use your bike trainer and swim workouts for the higher intensity stuff. 

Now this is a hobby, and we do it for fun, so if you want to mix in some higher intensity running than do so, but it is not really necessary this far out from your first race.  If you do, build into it slowly and make sure you are good and loose and warmed up before any fast stuff. A hamstring pull, or calf cramp, or knee ligament injury can come out of nowhere during hard sessions. This is especially true as we age, so use sparingly. There will be plenty of time to start gearing up to race day pace as you get closer to those dates, IMO.

Thanks, Chris. I kinda figured it was early in the training cycle for that kind of work. I do have a 5K race in mid-March and I want a strong showing to start my season. I will most likely mix in a fast 5K time trial maybe once every couple of weeks to gauge where I'm at. Despite the lower temperatures lately, I've been doing most of my running outside. The cold weather is enough to keep me from wanting to run too hard. I'm mostly happy to just build my volume at a low to moderate effort level. Once in a while, I'll push my pace on the last mile of a 5 or 6 mile run. But even then, I'm not running at race pace. I think the time trial on the treadmill will help me break up the monotony.
2016-01-20 1:17 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: 2016 race schedule and my new ride
My 2016 race schedule:

4.17.16 - Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
4.24.16 - Lilac Century Bike Ride - 25 mile
5.01.16 - Bloomsday Run - 12K
5.21.16 - Troika Sprint Triathlon
5.30.16 - Spring Fest Sprint Triathlon (maybe)
6.03.16 - Grumpy Grouch 5K Fun Run
6.11.16 - Moses Lake "For the Health of It" Olympic
7.02.16 - Righteous Richland Sprint Off-Road Triathlon
7.16.16 - Tiger Tri Olympic
7.24.16 - Race the River Sprint Triathlon (maybe)
8.07.16 - West Plains Wunderwoman Olympic Triathlon

A couple of my races have moved up a few weeks, so my tri season is ending two weeks early this year. It also means it may be possible to add in two C race sprints--the Spring Fest Sprint in May and the Race the River Sprint in July. I did Race the River a couple of years ago and nearly melted in the Idaho sun. It would be nice to be able to do it again and redeem myself.

The Lilac Century Ride the week after my HIM will be just for fun. I've signed up for the brick session the past couple of years, but this year, I'll do just the bike ride. The nice thing is there's a shorter option, in case I don't feel up to the 25-mile ride, or I could just bag it and go for the t-shirt and baked potato feast. Bloomsday and Grumpy Grouch are also just for fun. Bloomsday is like the Boston Marathon around here. About 50,000 people of all ages run every year, and almost the entire city of Spokane participates in some fashion. The city turns into a giant party town, and the only way you can get anywhere is by bus, bike, or foot. It's kind of fun the Monday after the race seeing who all wears their t-shirt to work or school the next day.

I have a new ride! I picked up a Quintana Roo Kilo tonight. It came with training wheels and also a set of Zipp racing wheels. It's an older QR, but in gorgeous just-off-the-showroom-floor condition. There's not a scratch on it! The seller said he thinks it's a 2005, but my research suggests it's a 2002. However, it's a fantastic bike, and I can't wait now for the snow to go away so I can give it a ride. I looked at a 2011 Cannondale Slice first, and I was pretty sure I was going to buy it, but then I saw this one and fell in love. And the colors are just awesome! I won't have any problem finding this in transition!

Now I think I'm going to have to build myself a new shed this summer just so I have a place to store all my bikes!

(QR_01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
QR_01.jpg (113KB - 14 downloads)
2016-01-20 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: 2016 race schedule and my new ride

That's a busy race schedule.

Love the QR. My brother rides an older model QR as well (think it is a 2006). I wish they had a dealer near me. I would strongly consider them for my next bike. (Which hopefully won't be for a while though).

2016-01-20 9:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by burner2

I have a new ride! I picked up a Quintana Roo Kilo tonight. It came with training wheels and also a set of Zipp racing wheels. It's an older QR, but in gorgeous just-off-the-showroom-floor condition. There's not a scratch on it! The seller said he thinks it's a 2005, but my research suggests it's a 2002. However, it's a fantastic bike, and I can't wait now for the snow to go away so I can give it a ride. I looked at a 2011 Cannondale Slice first, and I was pretty sure I was going to buy it, but then I saw this one and fell in love. And the colors are just awesome! I won't have any problem finding this in transition!

Now I think I'm going to have to build myself a new shed this summer just so I have a place to store all my bikes!

Sweet bike! Are you thinking of making any modifications or are you going to leave it as is?
2016-01-20 9:28 PM

User image

Subject: Training by Heart Rate Zones
I'm just full of questions and we aren't even out of January yet! I know I've read any number of articles as well as having discussion on this forum about training by heart rate zones. My question has to do with just how this is interpreted. For example, when I want to do a run in Zone 3, should I be targeting Zone 3 for the entire run? Or should I just be concerned about the average heart rate over the entire run? Sometimes when I'm running and listening to music, I might not necessarily be paying attention to my pace, effort level, or heart rate. I'll do the majority of my run in Zone 3, but I still end up crossing over into Zone 4 for at least parts of the run. Another time this might happen is when I'm going up a hill. I try to maintain a consistent effort level, but I know from looking at my watch and reviewing my stats afterwards that I might cross over into Zone 4.

So what exactly should a Zone 3 run look like? Should I strive for the entire run to be in Zone 3? Or should I not be concerned about portions of my run being in a higher zone as long as the average over the entire run is in Zone 3? Also, for the zones that I've calculated for myself, I have about a 12 bpm range for Zone 3. Does it matter which part of Zone 3 I'm in? I know I tend to spend the vast majority in the very upper end of Zone 3, which is probably another reason that I cross over sometimes. My Zone 3 runs from 140 to 152 and I spend a lot of my run in the 150-152 range. I will drop as low as 145 or 146, but I'm usually at that very upper end.

I'm just curious if any of you that use HR zones as a training tool have some insight or guidance.
2016-01-21 7:22 AM
in reply to: #5158713

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - OPEN
Awesome bike Cass. I love my QR Kilo.
2016-01-21 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Training by Heart Rate Zones

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I'm just full of questions and we aren't even out of January yet! I know I've read any number of articles as well as having discussion on this forum about training by heart rate zones. My question has to do with just how this is interpreted. For example, when I want to do a run in Zone 3, should I be targeting Zone 3 for the entire run? Or should I just be concerned about the average heart rate over the entire run? Sometimes when I'm running and listening to music, I might not necessarily be paying attention to my pace, effort level, or heart rate. I'll do the majority of my run in Zone 3, but I still end up crossing over into Zone 4 for at least parts of the run. Another time this might happen is when I'm going up a hill. I try to maintain a consistent effort level, but I know from looking at my watch and reviewing my stats afterwards that I might cross over into Zone 4. So what exactly should a Zone 3 run look like? Should I strive for the entire run to be in Zone 3? Or should I not be concerned about portions of my run being in a higher zone as long as the average over the entire run is in Zone 3? Also, for the zones that I've calculated for myself, I have about a 12 bpm range for Zone 3. Does it matter which part of Zone 3 I'm in? I know I tend to spend the vast majority in the very upper end of Zone 3, which is probably another reason that I cross over sometimes. My Zone 3 runs from 140 to 152 and I spend a lot of my run in the 150-152 range. I will drop as low as 145 or 146, but I'm usually at that very upper end. I'm just curious if any of you that use HR zones as a training tool have some insight or guidance.

I think you are over thinking this a little bit.  

It's just a general guideline, not a precise science (some may argue). Upper Zone 3, Lower Zone 3..I wouldn't worry about that too much. It is just a guideline. It gets you in the "right area".  152 bpm or 154 bpm...isn't much of a difference even though in your case one is called Zone 3 and one is called Zone 4. Either way you are not near your max heart rate and are essentially still in the same zone. Remember Zones are just something made up so that we don't go out and run too hard too often. An occasional increase should be OK. So don't worry about going into zone 4 once in a while, especially on a hill, etc.

I think the average is important because that is the metric that you can use over time to track your gains. For example 3 months ago you ran XX miles at an average of 144 bpm in 22 minutes. Now you are running XX miles at an average of 144 bpm in 20 minutes. Therefor you have gained fitness. You are more efficient. 

It's not a perfect measurement of fitness gained, but it can be used to see/track progress.

2016-01-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: Weight Gain
Hi,

I have a question on weight gain!!

I’m 46 and just a shade under 5’ 10 (1.77m), after Christmas my weight was up to 12 stone (168 pounds).

I expected this gain due to excessive eating and drinking, but over the last three weeks my weight has increased to 12.8 stone (179 pound). With the training I’m doing I expected it to drop not increase. I am doing weight sessions, but my belly seems to be the problem area.

My ideal racing weight, I believe, is about 11.5 stone (160ish).

Is there anything you think I should be doing differently or do you think te weight will drop off as I change from base training into more speed related?
I think my diet is pretty good (post Christmas).

Any thoughts? Help……….

2016-01-22 2:12 PM

User image

I think you are over thinking this a little bit.  

It's just a general guideline, not a precise science (some may argue). Upper Zone 3, Lower Zone 3..I wouldn't worry about that too much. It is just a guideline. It gets you in the "right area".  152 bpm or 154 bpm...isn't much of a difference even though in your case one is called Zone 3 and one is called Zone 4. Either way you are not near your max heart rate and are essentially still in the same zone. Remember Zones are just something made up so that we don't go out and run too hard too often. An occasional increase should be OK. So don't worry about going into zone 4 once in a while, especially on a hill, etc.

I think the average is important because that is the metric that you can use over time to track your gains. For example 3 months ago you ran XX miles at an average of 144 bpm in 22 minutes. Now you are running XX miles at an average of 144 bpm in 20 minutes. Therefor you have gained fitness. You are more efficient. 

It's not a perfect measurement of fitness gained, but it can be used to see/track progress.

Well, overthinking things is my forte, so no big surprise there! LOL I'll be honest, I'm just about ready to scrap the idea of trying to train based on heart rate numbers. In the past, I've tried to train more by "feel", what you might call RPE. Sometimes I go out for a run and I'm just on cruise control, feeling like I'm just coasting along at a comfortable pace and not really pushing myself. But I'll glance down at my GPS watch and see that my HR is up into Zone 4. I'm always struggling with what to do. By my effort level, I feel comfortable and relaxed, maybe an RPE of 5 or 5.5. But by my HR data, I'm training too hard and have to slow down to get my HR back down into Zone 3. Now I feel like I'm shuffling instead of running, which to me is worse than having my HR in Zone 4.

I guess I'll have to just go back to running by feel and see what the results are. I've increased my running volume this month, but I don't feel like I've made gains. If anything, I may have taken a small step backwards. To me, it feels like I'm running too slow just to try to maintain some false criteria. I'll keep an eye on how my body responds. It may be that I need to go back to paying closer attention to my HR if the added volume at a likely higher pace and HR is leading to fatigue and possible injury. I'll still keep my HR tracker on to review the numbers after my run. Like you said, it may at least help me understand if I'm making progress.
2016-01-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Subject: RE: Weight Gain
Originally posted by TonyAbbott

Hi,

I have a question on weight gain!!

I’m 46 and just a shade under 5’ 10 (1.77m), after Christmas my weight was up to 12 stone (168 pounds).

I expected this gain due to excessive eating and drinking, but over the last three weeks my weight has increased to 12.8 stone (179 pound). With the training I’m doing I expected it to drop not increase. I am doing weight sessions, but my belly seems to be the problem area.

My ideal racing weight, I believe, is about 11.5 stone (160ish).

Is there anything you think I should be doing differently or do you think te weight will drop off as I change from base training into more speed related?
I think my diet is pretty good (post Christmas).

Any thoughts? Help……….

I don't know what other people have experienced, but I know something similar has happened to me in the past. It typically only happens to me after an extended break. And that break in activity being at the same time as Christmas probably isn't a coincidence in terms of the weight gain. You aren't active for a while, but when you start up your training regimen you are also indulging (over-indulging?) in holiday foot and treats. Despite logging 15 training workouts (swim, bike, run) in December, I still managed to put on a little over 4 pounds! You would think all of that exercise would at least offset the extra food I was eating, but that wasn't the case.

I have no formal knowledge about these things. My layman's theory is that the lack of exercise leads to a decrease in your metabolism. When you finally get back to training, it takes a while for you to get that metabolism ramped back up. In addition, from what I've read, weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit. So while you're waiting for your body to be able to burn more of the calories you are taking in, you also need to be taking in fewer calories. I've really made it an emphasis with my own eating habits to simply try to exercise some portion control. I'm not changing what I eat, I'm just trying to eat less of it in a single meal. In the first 3 weeks of January, I've already been able to shed 4 pounds, essentially reversing the "damage" done to my waist line in December. I'm still about 7-10 pounds above where I want to be for my A race, but I also have another 6-7 months to get there.

Others with more knowledge than me should weigh in (no pun intended), but I think you'll see the weight come off as you continue to train. I don't necessarily think it will come from speed work. If anything, I would think it would come from longer, slower distances when you are running in an aerobic zone rather than an anaerobic zone (which you would most likely be in during your speed work).
2016-01-22 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi, I have a question on weight gain!! I’m 46 and just a shade under 5’ 10 (1.77m), after Christmas my weight was up to 12 stone (168 pounds). I expected this gain due to excessive eating and drinking, but over the last three weeks my weight has increased to 12.8 stone (179 pound). With the training I’m doing I expected it to drop not increase. I am doing weight sessions, but my belly seems to be the problem area. My ideal racing weight, I believe, is about 11.5 stone (160ish). Is there anything you think I should be doing differently or do you think te weight will drop off as I change from base training into more speed related? I think my diet is pretty good (post Christmas). Any thoughts? Help……….

Each individual is different but from my experience, once I get into training I am consuming a ton of calories. I'm starving all the time. This is normal as you are burning calories in your sessions. Just make sure what you are putting back in are good calories. Stay away from the sugar, this includes sugary drinks like sodas. Also limit or cease alcohol. If you are consuming the right type of calories, the weight will begin to come off.  But I would advise to not worry too much about weight. Focus instead on body composition. The weight will take care of itself in time if you are training and eating a good diet.

Also I agree with Randy. More speed work is not going to make any difference in losing the weight. You say the problem area is the belly but keep in mind that you can't "spot reduce" fat. Each individual body is different as to how and where it pulls fat reserves from during exercise. Stick with your training and be patient, you should see results in time.

2016-01-22 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8

Well, overthinking things is my forte, so no big surprise there! LOL I'll be honest, I'm just about ready to scrap the idea of trying to train based on heart rate numbers. In the past, I've tried to train more by "feel", what you might call RPE. Sometimes I go out for a run and I'm just on cruise control, feeling like I'm just coasting along at a comfortable pace and not really pushing myself. But I'll glance down at my GPS watch and see that my HR is up into Zone 4. I'm always struggling with what to do. By my effort level, I feel comfortable and relaxed, maybe an RPE of 5 or 5.5. But by my HR data, I'm training too hard and have to slow down to get my HR back down into Zone 3. Now I feel like I'm shuffling instead of running, which to me is worse than having my HR in Zone 4. I guess I'll have to just go back to running by feel and see what the results are. I've increased my running volume this month, but I don't feel like I've made gains. If anything, I may have taken a small step backwards. To me, it feels like I'm running too slow just to try to maintain some false criteria. I'll keep an eye on how my body responds. It may be that I need to go back to paying closer attention to my HR if the added volume at a likely higher pace and HR is leading to fatigue and possible injury. I'll still keep my HR tracker on to review the numbers after my run. Like you said, it may at least help me understand if I'm making progress.

You've been around long enough to know that I advocate an "old school" approach and training by feel. (And yes I know HR monitors have been around since at least the 80's so I guess they are actually old school themselves

There is nothing wrong with training by feel and letting how you feel that day dictate your effort level. HR can vary based on so many things from lack of sleep, diet, accumulated fatigue, you name it. It is a nice tool, but should not be the end all regulator of how your workout develops each day. My opinion.

2016-01-23 4:40 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Thanks for the answers - it certainly puts my mind at rest. I make note of my measurements every month, so I'll continue to monitor my weight at that point.

I don't feel particularly heavy and my heart rate and training results are steadily improving, so I think your correct that will sort itself out. Got to remind myself I'm not 22 anymore when Xmas weight used to drop off in a week.

Thanks again.

2016-01-23 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Tony

here is a link I found specifically addressing the belly fat situation. This is great advice for anybody trying to lose that 2-5 extra pounds of fat.

Interestingly enough he does mention higher intensity workouts as part of the solution, so I stand corrected. Also mentions not eating after 7pm and trying to have a 12 hour window before you eat again in the morning.

Hope this helps: #AskDS6xBellyFat

2016-01-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: My first triathlon of the year!
S: 20 min/720 yards
B: 30 min/11.9 miles
R: 20 min/1.82 miles

Well, not an official triathlon, but a practice one put on by the Spokane triathlon club I joined. They timed it, but it was up to us to measure our distances. It was mostly indoors with a 20-minute pool swim and 30-minute spin bike ride, and then a 20-minute run outside in 33-degree, pouring down rain. I'm pretty pleased with my performance, especially since I yacked most of the way through the bike and the run. This was actually my first opportunity to meet some of the other club members, although I've been attending the masters swim classes every Tuesday since the beginning of the year. (We usually don't do much talking while we're swimming.)

This was pretty much a personal best for me, all around. My pool swims have been around 3:03/100 yards (yes, I know I'm slow), so this shows some improvement. I noticed when I splashed water over my head and into my mouth when breathing, my technique is off and I'm swimming windmill style. This was good to note as getting a mouthful of water instead of air is a good reminder to pay attention and focus on my technique.

I was a little surprised to see how slow I was on the run, but I ran pretty slowly on the first loop as I talked with one of the other club members. I went a lot faster on the remaining three loops after she went back into the club. I couldn't get my GPS watch to sync with the satellite, so I just gave up and ran by feel. It felt like I was running 5.5 mph or faster, rather than the 5.0 mph that it averages to. [Edit: Math error here! This DOES average to 5.5 mph! D'oh!]

Took a really, really long hot shower at the club, and then a hot bowl of pho at a Vietnamese restaurant before heading home. Pho is the best after running in the cold rain!

Edited by burner2 2016-01-23 7:06 PM
2016-01-23 7:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Sweet bike! Are you thinking of making any modifications or are you going to leave it as is?

Man seat's gotta go! That thing is way too narrow and long for me! I have a new Serfas to put on it. However, first I want to get a cheap back wheel and tire so I can put it on my trainer, and then my new seat. Also, take off the black electrical tape that's holding the computer wiring in place. And replace the water bottle cages with a hydration system that won't require me to take my hands off the handle bars. And probably regular pedals, for now. And a bike fit. Other than that, pretty much as is!

I was hoping I'd have a chance to ride it this weekend, but it's still too wet and snowy here. I should have taken it to Spokane with me this morning as it was raining in the eastern part of the city only; the northwestern part was nice and dry.
2016-01-24 6:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: My first triathlon of the year!

Originally posted by burner2 S: 20 min/720 yards B: 30 min/11.9 miles R: 20 min/1.82 miles Well, not an official triathlon, but a practice one put on by the Spokane triathlon club I joined. They timed it, but it was up to us to measure our distances. It was mostly indoors with a 20-minute pool swim and 30-minute spin bike ride, and then a 20-minute run outside in 33-degree, pouring down rain. I'm pretty pleased with my performance, especially since I yacked most of the way through the bike and the run. This was actually my first opportunity to meet some of the other club members, although I've been attending the masters swim classes every Tuesday since the beginning of the year. (We usually don't do much talking while we're swimming.) This was pretty much a personal best for me, all around. My pool swims have been around 3:03/100 yards (yes, I know I'm slow), so this shows some improvement. I noticed when I splashed water over my head and into my mouth when breathing, my technique is off and I'm swimming windmill style. This was good to note as getting a mouthful of water instead of air is a good reminder to pay attention and focus on my technique. I was a little surprised to see how slow I was on the run, but I ran pretty slowly on the first loop as I talked with one of the other club members. I went a lot faster on the remaining three loops after she went back into the club. I couldn't get my GPS watch to sync with the satellite, so I just gave up and ran by feel. It felt like I was running 5.5 mph or faster, rather than the 5.0 mph that it averages to. [Edit: Math error here! This DOES average to 5.5 mph! D'oh!] Took a really, really long hot shower at the club, and then a hot bowl of pho at a Vietnamese restaurant before heading home. Pho is the best after running in the cold rain!

These kinds of events can be great for tracking your progress through the winter. Makes it easy to set a goal to better yourself each time.

Do they have them on a regular basis? When is the next one?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22752 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.