BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-01-24 2:43 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: RE: My first triathlon of the year!
Originally posted by Dominion

These kinds of events can be great for tracking your progress through the winter. Makes it easy to set a goal to better yourself each time.

Do they have them on a regular basis? When is the next one?

They have another one in February, and then one in March. I'm not sure if they have them the rest of the year. However, they also have organized on-site practices for some of the more popular races, including the Troika Tri, which I've done the past two years. I'm really looking forward to participating in those as this club's members usually kick behind and consistently place when I've raced against them. They really know their stuff! If I had known all the benefits of joining, I would have joined a year ago.

2016-01-24 5:02 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Tony what workouts have you been doing and have you been drinking a lot of "sports drinks" and "sports bars". Those things are calorie laden and unless you are going over an hour probably not helping.
2016-01-27 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - OPEN

Hope everyone's training is going well.

This is a great time of year to be getting that strength work in! Later in the season once racing starts, it gets hard to fit it all in and S/B/R often takes priority (and should) for the limited training time we all have. But now is a good time to be laying a great foundation with some strength and core work!

2016-01-28 7:06 AM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts

Hope everyone's training is going well.

This is a great time of year to be getting that strength work in! Later in the season once racing starts, it gets hard to fit it all in and S/B/R often takes priority (and should) for the limited training time we all have. But now is a good time to be laying a great foundation with some strength and core work!

Starting my strength training was interrupted by "Wine Wednesday". I guess I'll have to start tonight!
2016-01-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Wine Wednesday eh? At least you have your priorities straight 

2016-01-30 3:36 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

New user
Watford
i sorry for the delay in replying and thanks to all the responses. I'm not taking in any particular sports drinks or bars, but I'm also not training for over an hour in any one session (yet).

My training at the moment is strength most mornings, with either a swim, bike or run session at lunchtime for about 45 mins.
I've some problems with my knee at the moment so running is pretty tough.
The good news is that I'm beginning to lose the Christmas weight and my times are getting better.

On a slightly different note I've been reading that Heart Rate and zone training is the way to go - any thoughts or suggestions?

2016-01-30 11:42 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by TonyAbbott i sorry for the delay in replying and thanks to all the responses. I'm not taking in any particular sports drinks or bars, but I'm also not training for over an hour in any one session (yet). My training at the moment is strength most mornings, with either a swim, bike or run session at lunchtime for about 45 mins. I've some problems with my knee at the moment so running is pretty tough. The good news is that I'm beginning to lose the Christmas weight and my times are getting better. On a slightly different note I've been reading that Heart Rate and zone training is the way to go - any thoughts or suggestions?

I wouldn't say it's "The Way to go."   

I would say it's "A Way to go."

Like anything else this method has its good and bad.  My personal philosophy is that it is important to listen to the body and learn to run by feel more so than always rely on a HR monitor. 

I do run with a standard stopwatch however to check my splits and see if my pace is matching my perceived effort level, which I have gotten pretty good at through lots of miles using the "run by feel" method. Interestingly enough in one race last year my watch got knocked off leaving transition and I ended up running a 10K PR while not being able to check my times along the way.

2016-01-30 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Got on the scale tonight.....202

Will finish the month with somewhere around 80 miles of running and still haven't lost any of my winter weight. 

HM next weekend..way too heavy to run fast.

2016-01-31 12:30 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington

HM next weekend...

I was wondering about this; I thought you had one coming up this month. Which one is it? The only one I found on the Ironman 70.3 schedule is Geelong in Australia.
2016-01-31 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2

HM next weekend...

I was wondering about this; I thought you had one coming up this month. Which one is it? The only one I found on the Ironman 70.3 schedule is Geelong in Australia.

Half Marathon.  13.1 Not 70.3 

It's a local race on Tybee Island, GA. Had about 800 competitors last year. 

It's actually a run festival for the whole weekend where they have a bunch of different races. If you do them all it adds up to 26.2

I think its a 13.1, 10K, 5K, 2.8 mile beach run and a 1 mile fun run = 26.2

Edited by Dominion 2016-01-31 7:29 AM
2016-01-31 11:34 AM

User image

Will finish the month with somewhere around 80 miles of running and still haven't lost any of my winter weight. 

I've been able to get myself down to about 195. I'm about a pound lighter than last year at this time. I'm not sure what happened, but my weight jumped from about 196 back up to 200 in March last year. I had about a 2 week period in there where I was between races and ran very little. I plan to avoid that this year. I did make it all the way down to 190 by the time I got to my Olympic in August. This year, I'd like to try to get down closer to 185. I'm already training more this year than I did last year in January, so I'm ahead of the game. I just have to keep the momentum going and I'll get there.

What is your goal or race weight, Chris? You're taller, right? Over 6 feet?

2016-01-31 11:46 AM
in reply to: #5158713

New user

I would like to join this group
2016-01-31 11:58 AM
in reply to: ksavola

User image

Hi, I would love to join this group if it's ok! This will be my second year doing tri's, my goal last year was to complete one before I turned 45, and I loved it so much I did two more. My goal is to become a stronger swimmer, and I'm planning on joining an Open Water swim class this summer if I can get up the nerve

My first tri this year is a super sprint on March 5.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!
2016-01-31 1:57 PM

User image

Subject: What do you mean by "winter"?!
I'm really going to have to send a big thank you to that El Nino because today was a great day for the end of January in New England. The temperature was about 51 when I went out for my ride and had climbed as high as 54 by the time I finished. That's right, in the heart of New England and in the heart of winter, I went for an outdoor bike ride in shorts!! I did wear a long sleeve shirt under my cycling jersey, but I decided against wearing any tights and just wore my regular cycling shorts. I got in 15 miles shortly after lunch. A few of my bigger descents made my fingers tingle a little, but otherwise I barely noticed any discomfort.

My only real complaint was that it was super windy. I hit some big gusts and a couple times through the same stretch where there was a heavy wind. At times, it knocked as much as 4 mph off my pace. I had one stretch that is slightly downhill where I would typically cruise in the 21 mph range. Today, I was going 16.5 mph and was having to pedal just to maintain that speed. Huh? Pedal downhill just to maintain your speed? Oh, yeah, it was windy! But it was great to get outside and ride. The roads were clear and almost completely dry, which just about never happens this time of year around here.

I've really lost my climbing legs. I was climbing probably a full gear or more below where I was last year in the summer. I've only been doing one day a week on my indoor trainer to try to keep up some semblance of bike fitness. At the very least, I have to add a second workout each week or I need to add some leg strength training. I'm sure Chris will say I need to do both! LOL But I just find the bike trainer so boring. I suppose if I added even just a second trainer workout of 30 minutes it would be better than nothing.

2016-01-31 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8

What is your goal or race weight, Chris? You're taller, right? Over 6 feet?

Yeah, I'm 6'5. So even at 200 lbs I'm still pretty "lean". I usually hit mid 180's when in the full swing of training and racing by mid-season.

Of course my wife thinks I'm already too thin, but I know I need to shed about 15 pounds to be racing well this summer. And I will, it just takes time. Lugging an extra 15 pounds around can make a huge difference over 13 miles of running.

2016-01-31 9:06 PM
in reply to: ksavola

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by ksavola I would like to join this group

Hi ksavola.

Everyone is welcome. If you don't mind take a minute and tell us a little more about yourself.

Where do you live?

What is your athletic background?

What are your training, racing, or general fitness goals?

Are you new to the sport of triathlon?

We have a great group here eager to discuss all things tri related, so introduce yourself and fire away with any questions or topics you would like to discuss.

2016-01-31 9:16 PM
in reply to: julieruns

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by julieruns Hi, I would love to join this group if it's ok! This will be my second year doing tri's, my goal last year was to complete one before I turned 45, and I loved it so much I did two more. My goal is to become a stronger swimmer, and I'm planning on joining an Open Water swim class this summer if I can get up the nerve My first tri this year is a super sprint on March 5. Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Hi Julie!

Welcome to our group!

March 5th is coming up quick! That is certainly an early season race date.  Is it an indoor race or do you just live in a very warm climate?

Feel free to ask questions or bring up anything you would like to discuss or just jump right into anything already being discussed within the group.

Were the races you did last year Sprints? or anything longer? What goals besides improving swimming do you have for 2016?

2016-01-31 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: What do you mean by "winter"?!

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I'm really going to have to send a big thank you to that El Nino because today was a great day for the end of January in New England. The temperature was about 51 when I went out for my ride and had climbed as high as 54 by the time I finished. That's right, in the heart of New England and in the heart of winter, I went for an outdoor bike ride in shorts!! I did wear a long sleeve shirt under my cycling jersey, but I decided against wearing any tights and just wore my regular cycling shorts. I got in 15 miles shortly after lunch. A few of my bigger descents made my fingers tingle a little, but otherwise I barely noticed any discomfort. My only real complaint was that it was super windy. I hit some big gusts and a couple times through the same stretch where there was a heavy wind. At times, it knocked as much as 4 mph off my pace. I had one stretch that is slightly downhill where I would typically cruise in the 21 mph range. Today, I was going 16.5 mph and was having to pedal just to maintain that speed. Huh? Pedal downhill just to maintain your speed? Oh, yeah, it was windy! But it was great to get outside and ride. The roads were clear and almost completely dry, which just about never happens this time of year around here. I've really lost my climbing legs. I was climbing probably a full gear or more below where I was last year in the summer. I've only been doing one day a week on my indoor trainer to try to keep up some semblance of bike fitness. At the very least, I have to add a second workout each week or I need to add some leg strength training. I'm sure Chris will say I need to do both! LOL But I just find the bike trainer so boring. I suppose if I added even just a second trainer workout of 30 minutes it would be better than nothing.

Wow, 54 degrees in New England, that is unusual. I think we hit 70 here...beautiful day, unfortunately not much training got done for me.

I know the trainer is boring, I hate it too sometimes. But do try to get at least 2 rides in per week. It's really not that much. Do one 60 minute ride and do 1 30 minute ride if that's all you can stand. It will keep you from losing anything and put you in a position to start outdoor training at a meaningful level once the weather turns for good. 

I know you may not wan to hear this, but a lot of times when the trainer is boring, it may mean you aren't riding hard enough. I do a 60 minute session that is 8 X  3 minute intervals at above race pace. Trainers are all different with their resistance settings and such but a good rule of thumb is you should be very uncomfortable during the 3 minutes and just holding on the last 30 seconds. Then its a 4 minute recovery at whatever pace you normally ride the trainer. Warm-up 7- 10 minutes at the start and after 8 X 3's with 4 minute recovery you should be around that 60 minute mark for the ride. If you do it right, I promise you won't be bored. You may be miserable but you won't be bored. 

2016-01-31 9:45 PM

User image

January was a good training month. I think volume wise it was certainly the best I can remember for a long time. I think I set a new PR in a 400 yard swim trial of 6:15, and on a brick did a 5K under 8 min mile which is great for me. My first race is March 12th and this will be the second time running this race. It was my first tri 3 years ago, so its a little special and gets a really good turnout for a sprint.

swim 3h 20m 13s - 11100.00 Yd
bike 9h 50m - 169.96 Mi
run 9h 54m 39s - 68.15 Mi

As for the weight stuff, I'm also hanging at 195. I typically get to 185 at peak training, but I hope to get below 180 this year. Gonna do more core work which I should be doing anyway

Nate
2016-02-01 6:20 AM
in reply to: 0

Hello,

I would like to join this group.

I'm new on TRI, my goal is to get fit but also to start approaching this sport which i consider very beautiful and fascinating. I'm 31 years old and i live in Switzerland (Lugano), I'm an Air Traffico Controller, married with one little kid of two years old. Usually I got about 6-8 hours per week to train but it depends a lot on my shifts at work and of course my private life, but generally i can keep this amount constant.

I started alone since october to get km under my feet and bike, than started swimming with the help of some colleagues but my goal is to finish a Triathlon Sprint in July in Zurich (23rd July) and than maybe try another Sprint (or Olympic) in September (3rd) in Locarno. For planning I used the guides here in the beginner triathlete.com and keep them adjusted base on my schedule!

I'm 1.80 x 78 kg and I also would like to partecipate to a 10k in May and half marathon in August. Before Triathlon I was doing Ice Hockey but only amateur level, sometimes I played Soccer and also going with Bike but not a lot.

That are my training log by month:

NOV:
BIKE - 53,37 km
RUB - 32.56

DIC:
SWIM - 5720 m
BIKE - 88.37
RUN - 29,74

JAN:
SWIM - 2000m
BIKE - 17.76 km
RUN - 34.00 KM

In JAN I had difficulties the first two weeks due to a gastroflu and than the last week as well I was at home sick with fever, so my log is empty :-(

Hope I can get a lot of suggested stuff from all of you and enjoy triathlon as much as possible :-)

Cheers!
Stefano

Edited by spoon84 2016-02-01 6:28 AM
2016-02-01 8:15 AM

User image

Subject: RE: What do you mean by "winter"?!

Wow, 54 degrees in New England, that is unusual. I think we hit 70 here...beautiful day, unfortunately not much training got done for me.

I know the trainer is boring, I hate it too sometimes. But do try to get at least 2 rides in per week. It's really not that much. Do one 60 minute ride and do 1 30 minute ride if that's all you can stand. It will keep you from losing anything and put you in a position to start outdoor training at a meaningful level once the weather turns for good. 

I know you may not wan to hear this, but a lot of times when the trainer is boring, it may mean you aren't riding hard enough. I do a 60 minute session that is 8 X  3 minute intervals at above race pace. Trainers are all different with their resistance settings and such but a good rule of thumb is you should be very uncomfortable during the 3 minutes and just holding on the last 30 seconds. Then its a 4 minute recovery at whatever pace you normally ride the trainer. Warm-up 7- 10 minutes at the start and after 8 X 3's with 4 minute recovery you should be around that 60 minute mark for the ride. If you do it right, I promise you won't be bored. You may be miserable but you won't be bored. 

Yup, it has been crazy with the effects of the El Nino. Today and Wednesday both have a forecasted high of 56! I'd love to go back out and ride on Wednesday, but it shows rain in the forecast. Booooo!!

I think I'm convinced I need to at least do a 2nd ride of 30 minutes each week. I mean, I have over 4 months before my first race (sprint), but I'd like to start off the outdoor riding season in better shape than I was last year. Because I did so little last winter, I was almost starting over. I've never been one for doing drills. I know I'll probably have to learn to get over that if I'm ever going to make real gains on the bike. And you're right, because I'm just cranking along on my trainer at essentially one speed and only changing gears infrequently, the monotony really sets in. I'll give the workout you mentioned a try and see how it goes. I'm afraid I wouldn't even make it through because I've only averaged 1 bike workout each week for the last 3 months. I'll let you know how it goes.

2016-02-01 8:19 AM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

January was a good training month. I think volume wise it was certainly the best I can remember for a long time. I think I set a new PR in a 400 yard swim trial of 6:15, and on a brick did a 5K under 8 min mile which is great for me. My first race is March 12th and this will be the second time running this race. It was my first tri 3 years ago, so its a little special and gets a really good turnout for a sprint.

swim 3h 20m 13s - 11100.00 Yd
bike 9h 50m - 169.96 Mi
run 9h 54m 39s - 68.15 Mi

As for the weight stuff, I'm also hanging at 195. I typically get to 185 at peak training, but I hope to get below 180 this year. Gonna do more core work which I should be doing anyway

Nate

Sounds like you're making some great gains! Fantastic pace for a brick run! Weren't you having some troubles with your run last year? Or at least disappointed with the results? You must have felt tired but extremely happy after that brick.
2016-02-01 8:25 AM

Hi, I am interested in the mentoring program. I am a tri newbie but have my heart set on completing 3-4 sprints and 1 olympic distance triathlon this season. The first one would be in April and they are all in the UK. Sadly, I am currently injured (hip tendon) after a HM in October. Because I am not naturally a running, I thought cycling and swimming would be fun to keep my cardio up which naturally led me to look into doing a triathlon. Because I am completely new to this, all help and advice would be much appreciated. Especially in relation to getting faster on the bike :-(
2016-02-01 8:28 AM

User image

Subject: January Monthly Totals
I got my training started back up in a big way in January. My training has been very run heavy, mainly because I can (usually) only ride on my trainer which I hate. My run volume is higher than I've ever done in a month. Swim volume is pretty good for me, could have been a little higher, but not bad for January.

Swim: 3h 18m 37s - 8550 M
Bike: 3h 41m 34s - 15 Mi (only one outdoor ride, the rest is time on the trainer)
Run: 8h 42m 38s - 56 Mi

I'll probably have to back off the running volume a little bit and pick up my cycling time. But I totaled 21 workouts in the month, which I think is as much as I did in the peak of my training last year. I hope I can keep that momentum going through the rest of the winter and into spring.
2016-02-01 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin January was a good training month. I think volume wise it was certainly the best I can remember for a long time. I think I set a new PR in a 400 yard swim trial of 6:15, and on a brick did a 5K under 8 min mile which is great for me. My first race is March 12th and this will be the second time running this race. It was my first tri 3 years ago, so its a little special and gets a really good turnout for a sprint. swim 3h 20m 13s - 11100.00 Yd bike 9h 50m - 169.96 Mi run 9h 54m 39s - 68.15 Mi As for the weight stuff, I'm also hanging at 195. I typically get to 185 at peak training, but I hope to get below 180 this year. Gonna do more core work which I should be doing anyway Nate

6:15 is really good for a 400. Nice swimming!

Solid monthly totals too!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22731 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.