BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-02-05 7:38 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: January totals

Sure, we're still open!

Give us a little background about yourself and then join right in!

2016-02-06 6:22 AM
in reply to: Dominion

Miltenberg, Bayern
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - OPEN
Hello there, my name is Julia from Germany.
I´m a 42year old Newby and would like to train for our local Triathlon- olympic distance- in July 2016. I had this in my mind for a while.
This will be my first competition.
I´ve always been sporty, I´m not unfit, I have no weight problems. I love to swim and bike (running not so much...), and I like to go to my limits if I have a goal. I´ve been doing the FREELETICS-App for 9 months now.
I liked the training plans at beginnertriathlete, and I know I can train much harder.
I would be happy to receive some advice and motivation! So I hope you would accept me in your group and keep in touch.
Many thanks and kind regards,
JULIA
2016-02-06 11:48 AM
in reply to: FreeJulia

User image

Name: Jaime/Running Joke

Story: I was originally a very slow runner. Started doing tris regularly about 5 years ago and fell in love with the sport. Love reading and talking about triathlon. I've done mostly sprints and olympics, just one HIM so far. Still love trail running and am trying to balance the 2 sports.

Family Status: I'm married and have 2 boys, ages 6 and 8.

Work: I'm an ER doctor so I have random shifts.

Current Training: Unfortunately, I just had to make the decision to stop working with a coach online. So now I'm back to creating my own training plan, which I actually enjoy very much. I'm using Joe Friel's plan, I'm just starting over at Base I on Monday. I had been pretty consistent over the holidays, but then we took a week vacation, and now I have the flu. Trying not to get frustrated.

Goals: To try new things (first XTERRA race!), improve my bike, and have fun!

2016 Races: April 10 Spring Fling Sprint
April 23 Cedro Peak 13.1
May 22 HITS Grand Junction Oly
Jun 4 Milkman Sprint
Jun 25 City of Lakes Oly
Aug 6 Tri the Torture (XTERRA sprint)
Aug19 Devil Mountain 13.1
Oct 1 Mount Taylor 50K
2016-02-06 12:04 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Wetsuit considerations
I rented my first wetsuit online (maybe wetsuitrental.com?) when I did my first open water race. It was good because I ended up just buying the suit from them used, and my rental fee went towards the purchase price. My first suit was a sleeveless and it was good for all my races the first several years. This worked well for me because I got to try the suit before I decided to buy it.

My weight changed a bit, and my old suit got too baggy, so I bought an XTERRA entry level suit with sleeves last year and have been very happy with it. There was a crazy winter sale and I think I got it for something like $100.

It's hard because if you haven't worn a wetsuit before, you don't know how they are supposed to fit. I didn't want to try it in the pool because of the chlorine. And it was too cold to try it outside. Someone on BT told me last year "if you don't feel violated when you put your wetsuit on, it's too big" and I think that's probably right!

2016-02-06 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Hiya!

Welcome!!

Look what I got this weekend.  A friend of mine has been mtn biking for years and finally let go of his 2009 Orbea Onix!  MUWAHAHAHA!!!!!

(IMG_1443.JPG)

(IMG_1444.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1443.JPG (4359KB - 2 downloads)
IMG_1444.JPG (4237KB - 2 downloads)
2016-02-07 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by RunningJoke Name: Jaime/Running Joke Story: I was originally a very slow runner. Started doing tris regularly about 5 years ago and fell in love with the sport. Love reading and talking about triathlon. I've done mostly sprints and olympics, just one HIM so far. Still love trail running and am trying to balance the 2 sports. Family Status: I'm married and have 2 boys, ages 6 and 8. Work: I'm an ER doctor so I have random shifts. Current Training: Unfortunately, I just had to make the decision to stop working with a coach online. So now I'm back to creating my own training plan, which I actually enjoy very much. I'm using Joe Friel's plan, I'm just starting over at Base I on Monday. I had been pretty consistent over the holidays, but then we took a week vacation, and now I have the flu. Trying not to get frustrated. Goals: To try new things (first XTERRA race!), improve my bike, and have fun! 2016 Races: April 10 Spring Fling Sprint April 23 Cedro Peak 13.1 May 22 HITS Grand Junction Oly Jun 4 Milkman Sprint Jun 25 City of Lakes Oly Aug 6 Tri the Torture (XTERRA sprint) Aug19 Devil Mountain 13.1 Oct 1 Mount Taylor 50K

I've used Friel's plan layout several times.  Good stuff!  Build that base!!

2016-02-07 2:00 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Subject: RE: Hiya!
The bike is gorgeous!!! I'm green with envy.
2016-02-07 4:04 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Blah
Had my first low motivation day since I started back up with my training (a little over 2 months). In part, I think I was just tired from all of the activity from the day (and yesterday). Today, my wife took my daughter to a birthday party. My son (4 y.o.) wasn't invited, so he was all mine while they were away. We had some snow recently, so we were taking advantage and went sliding. It didn't take more than one trip back up the hill and my son decided he'd had enough of that. After that, I had to pull him up the hill in the sled. It was a lot of fun, but I was dripping with sweat by the time we were done!

Next up was a trip to the grocery store to get all of the food ready for our Super Bowl feast. There's more snow in the forecast, so then I had to shovel all of the snow off our back deck. It wouldn't be too bad, except all of the snow covering our solar panels came rumbling down like an avalanche and at least doubled the amount of snow on the deck. Plus, with a warm up in the temperature today, the snow was wet and heavy.

By the time I got on my bike trainer a little after 4:00, I just wasn't feeling it. I made the attempt. I climbed on the trainer and started pedaling. It didn't take but about 2 minutes and I didn't want to be there any longer. I tried to keep going thinking I'd eventually settle in and be OK. But that didn't happen. I stopped after 10 minutes and hit the shower. Bleh! I just wasn't feeling it today. I'll get my head right and be back at it tomorrow.
2016-02-08 6:49 AM

Subject: Food Tips
Hi everyone,

back on running and biking after a 10 days break and i feel better. I was worry about staying at home so long, but need to recover from flu.

Now that i'm in February and looking forward for the first Sprint TRI in July, I would like from you some tips about food. I'm not fat, but I would like to lose some 3/4 kgs in order to get in better shape, usually i'm out for lunch due to work and not easy to manage a good/healty meal.

What kind of food should I avoid mostly? and which one should I got more? I usually eat generally good, not too much funk food, but basically i'm a mediterranean diet with past, pizza, meat, yogurth and veggies/salad. Maybe I could get a bit more fruti during the day but I probably need to bring it from home. In this topic I really feel a bit lost .... :-)

Thank you.
2016-02-08 12:11 PM
in reply to: #5158713

I have a swimming background, and resisted buying a wetsuit at first too. Then I had an August race where you could see your breath at the start (air temp low 40s), and took the plunge. I went with a full sleeve $100 suit from Xterra. It's worked well so far, and their sizing charts seem accurate - I'm tall so they put me in a men's suit, but it fits well.

Finally feeling a little better, and I ran 2 whole miles Saturday! Then coughed for the whole walk home, but better than nothing.
2016-02-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

It's comforting to see that so many of you are also recovering from illness/vacation/winter. It's sunny and 55 degrees today and was supposed to be the first day of my new training plan, but I am still feeling really lousy from my flu. I decided to just get on the bike and do an easy 30 minutes to enjoy the weather. Between vacation and getting sick it's been 2 WEEKS since my last workout. Aaaaarrrrrgggh. But I guess it's better to be delayed, but really excited to start, than to be on time and not really want to be training? The break will be good for me in the long run?

2016-02-08 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - CLOSED

OK everyone, I'm closing the group to new members.  We have already grown larger than I realized. Of course any former members out there are always welcome to drop back in.

Here's the group:

Dominion / Chris

marriedthepoolguy / Jenn

nrpoulin / Nate

rjchilds8 / Randy

TonyAbbott / Tony

exercise girl / Lisa

burner2 / Cassandra

Scottjjmtri99 / Scott

MMW37 / Maura (?)

ksavola / ?

Julieruns / Julie

spoon 84 / Stefano

nsteiner / ?

Helmo Alkou / Monty

Free Julia / Julia

RunningJoke / Jaime

2016-02-08 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Wetsuit considerations

Originally posted by RunningJoke I rented my first wetsuit online (maybe wetsuitrental.com?) when I did my first open water race. It was good because I ended up just buying the suit from them used, and my rental fee went towards the purchase price. My first suit was a sleeveless and it was good for all my races the first several years. This worked well for me because I got to try the suit before I decided to buy it. My weight changed a bit, and my old suit got too baggy, so I bought an XTERRA entry level suit with sleeves last year and have been very happy with it. There was a crazy winter sale and I think I got it for something like $100. It's hard because if you haven't worn a wetsuit before, you don't know how they are supposed to fit. I didn't want to try it in the pool because of the chlorine. And it was too cold to try it outside. Someone on BT told me last year "if you don't feel violated when you put your wetsuit on, it's too big" and I think that's probably right!

Hi Jaime! Welcome.

I wouldn't worry too much about one quick swim in a chlorinated pool. You certainly don't want to subject your suit to the chlorine on a regular basis, but one swim won't hurt it. Just rinse good with fresh water after the swim and hang it to dry.

2016-02-08 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Hiya!

Cool bike, Monty! I like Orbea. That makes 2 members of this group that now have new rides this year! Anybody else !!?!!

2016-02-08 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Blah

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Had my first low motivation day since I started back up with my training (a little over 2 months). In part, I think I was just tired from all of the activity from the day (and yesterday). Today, my wife took my daughter to a birthday party. My son (4 y.o.) wasn't invited, so he was all mine while they were away. We had some snow recently, so we were taking advantage and went sliding. It didn't take more than one trip back up the hill and my son decided he'd had enough of that. After that, I had to pull him up the hill in the sled. It was a lot of fun, but I was dripping with sweat by the time we were done! Next up was a trip to the grocery store to get all of the food ready for our Super Bowl feast. There's more snow in the forecast, so then I had to shovel all of the snow off our back deck. It wouldn't be too bad, except all of the snow covering our solar panels came rumbling down like an avalanche and at least doubled the amount of snow on the deck. Plus, with a warm up in the temperature today, the snow was wet and heavy. By the time I got on my bike trainer a little after 4:00, I just wasn't feeling it. I made the attempt. I climbed on the trainer and started pedaling. It didn't take but about 2 minutes and I didn't want to be there any longer. I tried to keep going thinking I'd eventually settle in and be OK. But that didn't happen. I stopped after 10 minutes and hit the shower. Bleh! I just wasn't feeling it today. I'll get my head right and be back at it tomorrow.

Don't sweat it. Sometimes that is just your body telling you that you need a day off.  If it happens consistently, then yeah you may need to reexamine your motivation and what you are trying to accomplish, but sometimes you just need a rest day.

2016-02-08 9:24 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Blah
Originally posted by Dominion

Don't sweat it. Sometimes that is just your body telling you that you need a day off.  If it happens consistently, then yeah you may need to reexamine your motivation and what you are trying to accomplish, but sometimes you just need a rest day.

I got right back after it tonight and tried out the workout you suggested. You were right about one thing, I wasn't really ever bored! LOL But I didn't get through it completely either. Part of it was simply that my legs were very fatigued at the end. I just haven't worked them that hard on the bike since about September. And part of it was that it was nearly 10:00 at night. I did get through 4x3 with about 10 minutes warm up in the beginning, so 38:00 total. I can definitely see the benefit of it and it sure went by quicker than if I had just done 38:00 the old way of slogging along at the same pace. I know I'll want to do that again for my next bike workout. I'll go for at least 5x3 and hope for maybe more. Oh, yeah, and I'll try to start before 9:00 at night, not after! I will say that I probably won't dread my bike workout as much as I used to. Thanks a lot, Chris!

2016-02-09 7:27 AM
in reply to: spoon84

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Food Tips

Originally posted by spoon84 Hi everyone, back on running and biking after a 10 days break and i feel better. I was worry about staying at home so long, but need to recover from flu. Now that i'm in February and looking forward for the first Sprint TRI in July, I would like from you some tips about food. I'm not fat, but I would like to lose some 3/4 kgs in order to get in better shape, usually i'm out for lunch due to work and not easy to manage a good/healty meal. What kind of food should I avoid mostly? and which one should I got more? I usually eat generally good, not too much funk food, but basically i'm a mediterranean diet with past, pizza, meat, yogurth and veggies/salad. Maybe I could get a bit more fruti during the day but I probably need to bring it from home. In this topic I really feel a bit lost .... :-) Thank you.

Simply put, I cut out simple sugars and eat more greens especially leafy greens. I try to do this normally but I'm a lot more focused during training. I call it eating plain. No "fun" stuff. I cut out all sugar drinks, sauces, dressings, and limit white foods like bread and pasta. I really enjoy beer and wine so when I have a drink my limit is two. I just use the bigger glasses, lol. You'll find you have more energy and your body is more resilient against injury and sickness. My allergies are almost non existent during this time no matter how long I'm outside training.

I've read a lot of books on nutrition and I just don't have the time or energy to cook all those special meals and shop for the "most healthy" ingredients. A chicken breast, asparagus, and a small sweet potato is just fine for me. And it's easy!

2016-02-09 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Pool still broke!!

Today is my Friday, day shift number seven. The pool at my gym has been out of service for 10 days! I've missed four swim workouts and it's killing me!! There's one other pool in town (the city pool) but they have the kids swim team in the evening. I mean little kids!  The high school swim team works out at 6 am before school. SO, tomorrow morning I'll be at the city pool about the time the high school kids leave. I hate missing workouts when it's not my fault, lol.

I have a two hour ride tonight but the wind has been so bad and lack of sun light by the time I finish will probably force me inside. I'm so ready to get off day shift!!

Sorry, I had to rant!

2016-02-09 7:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Swim Lessons

I found this pic my wife took at a 70.3 I did a couple of years ago. Thought you might enjoy it.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-02-09 7:51 AM

(swimlessons.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
swimlessons.jpg (31KB - 2 downloads)
2016-02-09 6:39 PM
in reply to: spoon84

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Food Tips

Originally posted by spoon84 Hi everyone, back on running and biking after a 10 days break and i feel better. I was worry about staying at home so long, but need to recover from flu. Now that i'm in February and looking forward for the first Sprint TRI in July, I would like from you some tips about food. I'm not fat, but I would like to lose some 3/4 kgs in order to get in better shape, usually i'm out for lunch due to work and not easy to manage a good/healty meal. What kind of food should I avoid mostly? and which one should I got more? I usually eat generally good, not too much funk food, but basically i'm a mediterranean diet with past, pizza, meat, yogurth and veggies/salad. Maybe I could get a bit more fruti during the day but I probably need to bring it from home. In this topic I really feel a bit lost .... :-) Thank you.

There is so much out there on diet and nutrition, and the more I read and learn the more confused I get sometimes. It seems like there are a lot of conflicting ideas on what is best. 

My philosophy has always been to try and keep it simple and logical. Like Monty mentioned cut out the sugar. That means sodas and sugary drinks as well. Even some of the sports drinks are loaded with sugar so use in moderation.  I don't worry about cutting fat or counting calories. Remember if you are training hard you are burning through calories and they must replaced to fuel your activity level. So it's more of a quality thing than a quantity thing for me when it comes to diet.

2016-02-11 5:45 PM
in reply to: #5158713

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - CLOSED
How's everybody doing this week? I'm easing back into things after my recent illness. 1 hour aerobic ride and strength training today. I feel more tired than I should, but not like I have to go to bed before dinner, so that's progress!

2016-02-11 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Swim Lessons

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

I found this pic my wife took at a 70.3 I did a couple of years ago. Thought you might enjoy it.

That's not you is it? lol

2016-02-12 9:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Dominion

That's not you is it? lol

Haha!  NO!

My week went well. They finally got the pool open so I only missed one swim this week and one short 30 minute run. I've been doing really good at hitting my weekly totals so far. I have long run in the morning I'm looking forward to. Temps here have been in the 70-75 range with blue sky and a lot of wind. Got my first good tri shorts tan today! 

Edit: I found out something interesting this week. The age groups in my next race is using your age on Dec. 31, 2016 not your birthday. This puts me into the 50+ age group because I'll still be 49 in May, race day. This makes me happy although all the 54 age groupers can beat me now.  LOL.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-02-12 9:20 PM
2016-02-12 9:34 PM

User image

My birthday is in June. A couple years ago when my birthday rolled around, I thought I was turning 37, because I'd already been "36" all spring for racing. I spend the rest of the year telling everyone I was 37. Eventually I figured it out and got to be 37 for another whole year.
2016-02-13 6:54 AM

User image

Haha!  NO!

My week went well. They finally got the pool open so I only missed one swim this week and one short 30 minute run. I've been doing really good at hitting my weekly totals so far. I have long run in the morning I'm looking forward to. Temps here have been in the 70-75 range with blue sky and a lot of wind. Got my first good tri shorts tan today! 

Edit: I found out something interesting this week. The age groups in my next race is using your age on Dec. 31, 2016 not your birthday. This puts me into the 50+ age group because I'll still be 49 in May, race day. This makes me happy although all the 54 age groupers can beat me now.  LOL.

I wish they would do it consistently. I've done some races that just take your age on race day and others that go by your age on Dec 31st of that year. Maybe it's because I'm in what always seems like one of the toughest age groups, Male 40-49, but I don't like the idea of younger people being in my age group! It's already a tough enough AG, I don't need them tossing in some guys in their 30s (even if it is 39)! In December, I ran what was billed as a 5K, but turned out to only be 3 miles. But my average pace was good enough to have beaten my previous PR by about 30 seconds, projecting to a 24:30 finish. In the race, I placed 87th overall and 21st in my AG! That means about 1/4 of the top 87 were in my AG alone!

Maybe I'll feel better about it when I'm 49, but racing against guys that are 50+? My birthday is in August and my triathlon races don't usually start until June, so I wouldn't be getting more than a couple months advantage. Is this some kind of USATF or USAT rule? I seem to only see this kind of AG classification in triathlon, not my road racing or OCR.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22410 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.