General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fenix 3 with Optical HR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-03 2:33 PM

User image

Subject: Fenix 3 with Optical HR
So.... searching the interwebs and found this: http://newsroom.garmin.com/image/ces-2016/fenix-3-hr-back
I'm really wanting a Fenix 3 since looks nice as a everyday watch (imo) but I think they are way over priced. I'm waiting for a decent deal and am hoping that CES this week has a new 9xx and Fenix 4 to cause the current ones to go on sale but I seriously doubt they will. I saw this and it looks like they are adding an optical HR monitor to the Fenix 3. I heard mixed reviews on rainmaker about how it's not that great and not really good for cycling at all for some reason (too much sweat interferes with it?). Either way, I'm hoping the "old" Fenix 3 goes down in price. Anyone have any experience with the new 235 watches? Seems like a battery drain and something that would the most likely part to break .

2016-01-03 5:56 PM
in reply to: #5158860

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: RE: Fenix 3 with Optical HR
My wife has a 235 and her battery life seems comperable to my Fenix3. Her heart rate data also looks pretty good. (We have not done a direct comparison of the two. I am only basing this on my perception that we seem to charge at about the same frequency with similar activity level.)

I think the choice between the two comes down to the features you want. The continous heart rate data, including a true resting heart rate is where the 235 shines and the Fenix is actually very weak. However I would not want to give up the swimming and multisport (triathlon) mode on the Fenix3 which I think are the best features of the Fenix3 that are not on the 235. Fenix3 also has the running dynamics data but I don't find it as useful mostly because I don't know what to do with that data yet. I can't think of any other major features on the Fenix3 where there is not something comperable on the 235.
2016-01-04 5:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

That's big news... and I heard it here first.  You get the credit

Edited by morey000 2016-01-04 5:56 PM

(garmin-fenix-3-hr-1140x597.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
garmin-fenix-3-hr-1140x597.jpg (84KB - 9 downloads)
2016-01-04 9:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Yeah I went on their site and only found updates to the mobile app for CES material. I didn't see anything else on their "hidden" CES pages. Looks like no new watches are being announced other than this one.

Edited by Blastman 2016-01-04 9:24 PM
2016-01-05 1:14 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just picked up a fenix 2 on sale at christmas myself.

Damn that fenix 3 looks nice with the optical HR, I wonder what it's going to go for? :p
2016-01-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Looks nice! But am I the only one who wears their watch outside their jacket sleeve in cold weather so I can still see my splits? I wonder if it can still be used with an HR strap or will it be optical only?

2016-01-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm excited about this! Read about it this morning. I bought an original Fenix on sale when it came up on gearscan and use it as an ever day watch. Battery lasts a little over a week, unless I'm using the blue tooth for texts or notifications. Then it's everyday. I'll probably get the 3!!!
2016-01-05 11:31 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Originally posted by Atlantia Looks nice! But am I the only one who wears their watch outside their jacket sleeve in cold weather so I can still see my splits? I wonder if it can still be used with an HR strap or will it be optical only?

I would bet that you can use a HR strap.  The 235 has the optical sensor and is also capable with a HR strap if you choose.

2016-01-05 11:35 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Looks like they came up with a REALLY nice HUD too! You can clip them to any glasses. NICE!
2016-01-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
HUD looks nice, but pricey at $400 and its not a standalone unit (so you need a newer edge as well).

And the Titanium Fenix 3 looks awesome but $799!!! OUCH!!!

But definitely digging the Fenix 3; likely will pick one up for this season.
2016-01-07 9:36 PM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

After looking at DC Rainmaker's review of the Fenix 3, kinda makes me want my 910xt to kick the bucket.

2016-01-20 1:03 PM
in reply to: TTom

I finally just sold my 620 as I was just biking/running and a year ago didn't think I would be doing triathlons. Doh. Should have gotten the 920 back then. :-( Now I have seen the various Fenix upgrades and the 920 upgrades and I really like the black 920 option but looks like you have to buy the Tri package to get that one which makes it a bit expensive. :-( And tri coach says I don't need the HR for my swim, but it may not be a bad option as the other HR strap is good for open water and for a full Triathlon. The other options are the Fenix 3 and multiple which I have seen that regardless of optical HR or not, you need a strap to get the more detailed run dynamics, etc. and also heard that the sapphire face is worth the extra money for a better watch face, but then again, Dcrainmaker said, doesn't recall ever breaking a watch face, and if you take good care of it shouldn't be an issue.

So NOW my options or dilemma are

920xt Tri package (retail about $600)

OR

Fenix 3 sapphire performance bundle (HR Strap) which is $650

The fenix 3 has more customization options and looks better, but many people say the 920 is all about Triathlon specific and that is 99% of what I would be using it for.

Others thoughts / chime in on 920 vs fenix 3
2016-01-20 1:32 PM
in reply to: kctkd

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I got a Fenix 3 for Christmas, and of course they add something cool like an optical HRM right after I get mine. Oh well.

The Fenix 3s were all $100 off back around black Friday/ cyber Monday. Even then, it's still pretty pricey.

For what it's worth, I absolutely LOVE mine. I went from having literally no GPS device to the top of the line, so I wasn't hard to impress, but it does everything I'd want a GPS watch to do with the exception of maybe a golf widget.

Garmin also responded to what some considered a design issue in that the Fenix 3 couldn't be quickly mounted onto a bike. The mount they sell forces you to strap the watch onto your handle bar like it is on your wrist. Well, they now have a quick release kit for the Fenix 3. I don't own it, but if that's been an issue for you previously you might look into it.

I don't have anything to add that isn't on DC Rainmaker's site, other than to say I love it.
2016-01-20 1:52 PM
in reply to: marti038

Originally posted by marti038

I got a Fenix 3 for Christmas, and of course they add something cool like an optical HRM right after I get mine. Oh well.

I don't have anything to add that isn't on DC Rainmaker's site, other than to say I love it.

The optical HR doesn't do too much for you as I have heard for the VO2 and other advanced metrics you still need to wear the HR strap. I like the fenix 3 and may even choose to side more towards the non-optical choice. I guess the question would be whether to spend the extra for the sapphire or not. dcrainmaker seemed to think it was over priced to do and not necessary where other reviews say absolutely spend the extra money for the nicer watch face. The only thing slightly pushing me away from the 920 is the fact that it has been out a lot longer and the techie in me wants latest / greatest which is what the fenix 3 is. Of course the Tri coach said just go with the 920 and easier to operate and use. But I haven't had experience with either.

2016-01-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: kctkd

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I got to try the Fenix 3 on back in the fall while at an REI in Nashville. I don't think they had a sapphire in stock at the store, but they were willing to pull the one they had out of the box to let me hold and wear it for a minute.

Of course, you won't really be able to try out the functions since you have to set up the watch for your personal use when you first turn it on, but if you want a sample of how it feels (surprisingly light BTW) then this is an option.
2016-01-23 9:30 PM
in reply to: marti038

Master
, California

The optical HR doesn't do too much for you as I have heard for the VO2 and other advanced metrics you still need to wear the HR strap.

Not sure about the Fenix 3 but this is not true for the 235.  It will use the HR strap if you want to pair one, but everything can be done on the wrist as well.

I've been really happy with the 235 so far.  I bought a thin glass display protector for it, since I wear it all the time.  But price-wise it worked out better for me since I already have a bike computer and I don't find swimming with a watch very useful.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fenix 3 with Optical HR Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help with Fenix 2 and HR zones/training please

Started by tryingtotri0321
Views: 4146 Posts: 2

2014-08-30 1:19 PM mleech77

Garmin Fenix 2 - Max Pool Length

Started by ultramike
Views: 2088 Posts: 7

2014-07-11 8:46 PM reecealan

Garmin Fenix 2 upload issue

Started by louiskie
Views: 481 Posts: 1

2014-06-01 7:16 PM louiskie

Garmin Fenix 2, better than 910xt? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by davidfedez
Views: 27782 Posts: 61

2014-05-19 3:54 PM Aarondb4

Optical swim goggles

Started by r1237h
Views: 1769 Posts: 11

2010-11-19 1:18 PM blackledge
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : September 3, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Questions on training plan sport ratios, staying in HR zones, my HIM run suffers, training for a hot race, tri or road bike for a HIM and the length for a run focused training block.
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk
date : December 8, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Highly trained athletes can maintain a specific HR longer than a newbie without much creeping; their endurance is greater—thus able to keep pace efficiently and without much additional increase in HR.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?