General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Spacing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-04 4:01 PM

Subject: HIM Spacing
What's a general rule of thumb for number of 70.3's in a season? How much time between two is generally recommended? Currently still race planning: I'm looking at Texas on April 10, Buffalo Springs on June 26, and Timberman on August 21, with Olympics in May and July. Too much?

2016-01-04 4:21 PM
in reply to: Callowam

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: HIM Spacing

How many HIMs have you done in the past?  How do you typically recover?  What are your goals for the races?

2016-01-04 7:45 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

How many HIMs have you done in the past?  How do you typically recover?  What are your goals for the races?

I'm a rookie - I've done 1 HIM. I recover fairly quickly, although I plan to race considerably more this year. My goals are just to be competitive.
2016-01-04 10:11 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Callowam

I'm a rookie - I've done 1 HIM. I recover fairly quickly, although I plan to race considerably more this year. My goals are just to be competitive.

I don't think there is a "rule of thumb", it all depends on your background, experience, recovery,e tc.

It sounds like you have 2 months between each one, plus the sprint and/or oly... I'd say be flexible, do the first, see how you feel..try the 2nd, see how you feel, etc.
2016-01-05 12:56 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by AdventureBear

I don't think there is a "rule of thumb", it all depends on your background, experience, recovery,e tc. It sounds like you have 2 months between each one, plus the sprint and/or oly... I'd say be flexible, do the first, see how you feel..try the 2nd, see how you feel, etc.

I had a schedule similar to that back in 2013 after having one HIM under my belt -- St. George in early May, Buffalo Springs in late June, and Mont Tremblant in early September....with a sprint in early June and a 40k TT somewhere in there.  I recovered fine from each race, but I'll be honest, I was quite burned out by the time Tremblant rolled around and really just wanted to be done.

I'm not sure where you're located, but with two TX races, I'm guessing you're in TX.  June and August races mean training throughout the hottest time of the year, which can wear on you.

I'd follow Suzanne's advice and see how you feel after the Texas and decide if you want to sign up for Buffalo Springs.  Buffalo Springs doesn't fill up fast, so you have plenty of time.  I'm not sure on Timberman.

2016-01-05 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Seems a bit aggressive to me, especially if you are planning to be competitive in all of them (not sure exactly what you mean by that).  

2016-01-05 3:15 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
6 weeks is the good number for me between races but I race 5 a year. 1 week to recover 4 weeks to fix what you messed up in the last one. and 1 week to tapper
2016-01-08 1:21 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

6 weeks is the good number for me between races but I race 5 a year. 1 week to recover 4 weeks to fix what you messed up in the last one. and 1 week to tapper

Great advice!

Also to the OP, it's easy and common to get excited, overschedule, overtrain and burnout, but if you love the sport you'll figure that out on your own, and no one can tell you when it may happen...trial by fire!

However other people THRIVE on racing and race 5 races in one month, even at the 70.3 distance, let alone "only" 5 in one summer.

Everyone is different but based on general experiecne I think you'll find you're tired by the last one but can do the race if you will yourself to. The learning point would be how to measure out your energy and divide your season so if you love racing you can still rac,e but be happy with participating in a rac,e not getting emotionally connected to the results of any one race and using every race as a training day and learnign tool as well...even up to the highest levels of the sport.

Big goals are great, but every race is an experience to learn from as well, not just somethign to accomplish.
2016-01-08 1:47 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I don't think there is a "rule of thumb", it all depends on your background, experience, recovery,e tc. It sounds like you have 2 months between each one, plus the sprint and/or oly... I'd say be flexible, do the first, see how you feel..try the 2nd, see how you feel, etc.

I had a schedule similar to that back in 2013 after having one HIM under my belt -- St. George in early May, Buffalo Springs in late June, and Mont Tremblant in early September....with a sprint in early June and a 40k TT somewhere in there.  I recovered fine from each race, but I'll be honest, I was quite burned out by the time Tremblant rolled around and really just wanted to be done.

I'm not sure where you're located, but with two TX races, I'm guessing you're in TX.  June and August races mean training throughout the hottest time of the year, which can wear on you.

I'd follow Suzanne's advice and see how you feel after the Texas and decide if you want to sign up for Buffalo Springs.  Buffalo Springs doesn't fill up fast, so you have plenty of time.  I'm not sure on Timberman.

I've felt burnt up from a similar season of racing and hard training. There isn't really a great rule of thumb either as people can vary quite a bit.

Also:

Is there a typo in that? Having trouble seeing how "just" and "competitive" really go together as the latter tends to involve pushing oneself hard.

2016-01-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Originally posted by BuckHamilton

Great advice!

Also to the OP, it's easy and common to get excited, overschedule, overtrain and burnout, but if you love the sport you'll figure that out on your own, and no one can tell you when it may happen...trial by fire!

However other people THRIVE on racing and race 5 races in one month, even at the 70.3 distance, let alone "only" 5 in one summer.

Everyone is different but based on general experiecne I think you'll find you're tired by the last one but can do the race if you will yourself to. The learning point would be how to measure out your energy and divide your season so if you love racing you can still rac,e but be happy with participating in a rac,e not getting emotionally connected to the results of any one race and using every race as a training day and learnign tool as well...even up to the highest levels of the sport.

Big goals are great, but every race is an experience to learn from as well, not just somethign to accomplish.

Good advice here. I, too, expect you to be tired by the last race, but you might do well and get stronger throughout the season if you don't overdo it. Learn from your races and listen to your body. Since you haven't done something like this in the past, you should really get in touch with how your body feels and not be afraid to let up on the gas if you're not 100% during an event.

I'm racing 4 HIMs this coming year, with a marathon early in March and a few oly/int'l races sprinkled in here and there. My plans after each HIM are to take it easy, recover, and rest so as to give myself a chance to race strong at each event. I've been doing this for a few years, though, and know how my body reacts to the stresses of training and racing.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Spacing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Space Triathlon, NASA astronaut preparing to compete in a triathlon in space

Started by Donto
Views: 950 Posts: 3

2012-08-14 11:44 AM BrianRunsPhilly

spacing tris around marathon

Started by autumn
Views: 756 Posts: 2

2006-12-13 8:20 AM the bear

meal spacing and your sports watch

Started by autumn
Views: 1850 Posts: 11

2016-02-19 2:31 PM AdonMobin

Triathlon/Cycling/Running My Space Layouts...

Started by bballer2tri
Views: 7609 Posts: 16

2007-10-19 9:21 PM idahodan

Space Coast 1/2 Marathon

Started by rollinbones
Views: 428 Posts: 1

2005-08-11 9:56 AM rollinbones