General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-01-04 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman Canada : Official Thread
Alright, I have seen that IM Canada race threads have not worked out that well in the past, but maybe that will change this year.

This will be my first full Ironman and hope this thread will take off and give everyone on BT doing the race a place to visit and get to know each other. I also hope to meet others through this as I will be coming from Texas and do not know anyone doing the race. Now let's keep this thread active and view it like a Mentor / Mentee page where we all learn and teach. I will be doing way more learning than teaching.

By the way I'm Todd.

2016-01-05 7:18 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Canada : Official Thread
I have signed up for Canada this year. It will be my second 140.6, did AZ this past year. Never been to Whistler before and making it a family vacation for 10 days. I read thru last years thread and hope we have better weather in 2016. I know a few So Cal people doing this race but definitely looking to hear from others.
2016-01-05 10:19 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Extreme Veteran
We are making it a family vacation as well, starting in Vancouver followed by 7 days in Whistler, ending 2 days after the race. I had to make it about way more than the race to get the wife on board.
2016-01-05 10:46 PM

User image

LOL. Same here. We normally do Hawaii in the summer. Will be there for the entire week after and promised to take kids white water rafting and rock climbing. So have to be able to walk by Wed after race.
2016-01-07 11:29 AM

New user
Bonney Lake
I am in also. This will be a fun race. I did it a couple years ago and loved it and now back for more.
2016-01-07 3:11 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Extreme Veteran
Where are yall staying? I'm still up in the air whether to do the Village or just find a condo type place through VRBO.

2016-01-07 4:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Where are yall staying? I'm still up in the air whether to do the Village or just find a condo type place through VRBO.

Haven't booked yet but looks like there are a ton of good VRBO options right near the village. I'll probably do that.
2016-01-07 4:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

The village proper can get very loud if you get one of those hotels near restaurants or that overlooks one of the walks.   The village area by the Fairmont Hotel (east?) is much quieter.  There are condos all throughout and they are all very close to race activities, so don't worry about distances

Edited by ChrisM 2016-01-07 4:54 PM
2016-01-12 7:54 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

New user
Bonney Lake
I agree. I stayed in the Village a couple years ago and it was rather loud at night with the folks who were out to party on Sat. night. This year we moved to the Fairmont so i hope it is a little less noisy. To be honest though my hotel room was right on the corner in a place where people had to walk to get to the pubs. I am sure there are rooms that face the other direction or are back off the main walk area that have less noise.
2016-01-13 10:33 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank yall for the info, which has pushed me towards VRBO, which is actually cheaper and will likely work out much better. Now I just have to decided which one.
2016-01-22 11:29 AM

User image

Rochester
I'm in for this year. I've never raced out in Whistler and have heard the course and area are beautiful. I've got some races under my belt and some decent experience and would be happy to help with any general questions. Unfortunately I can't help out with any course specific questions though.

2016-01-22 6:28 PM

User image

Seattle
I raced IM Canada last year. A couple of notes
Stay in the village, everything is really close though. Lots of stuff going on, there were a lot of mountain bike activities happening at the same time. VRBO will offer you some good locations as well in the village. We stayed in a hotel.

Swim: the start is at a park, so you can go a couple of days before and get your sighting down. Don't know if they will do it again, but someone had buoy's on the course marked for the 100 yds, which was kind of cool.

Training for the bike, Hills, Hills, Hills, did I say Hills! Coming back into Pemberton on the only flat portion of the race we had a head wind last year.
There really are 2 main hills, one about 20 miles in that goes up to the ski jump facility that is 6 miles long, and the 2nd that starts at mile 80 that averages out at about 8% for 20 miles. Very beautiful race course, they shut down the trans-canada highway for this race which is really nice, no cars really to deal with. I went up Memorial day weekend and rode the course, and was really glad I did.

Disliked the last 1.5 miles of the run, you run around the village in circles even on cobblestones before the finish line, otherwise the run is nice, combination of gravel, wood, and road. People from the town are everywhere. I missed the bear that was on the course by about 2 minutes.

I'm not going back to race this year, 3 1/2 IM's instead, NOLA, Boulder, & Tough man NM, but suspect I'll be up volunteering that weekend somewhere.

Good luck, if you have other questions feel free.

jsm
2016-01-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: jsm

User image

Thank you for the info. I've got a few questions. The bike course being hilly, any special equipment changes. I read a lot about gearing, wheels etc... Anybody have any opinions on best for the course. Wheels: 60/60, 60/80, 80/80, 80/disc, or light weight? I've been riding gears 52/36 with 12-25 cassette. I know none of this matters if the "engine" isn't there, just want to hear some opinions. Thanks
2016-01-28 2:57 PM
in reply to: mjbinky

User image

Disc for sure.  Front whatever you can handle.  

Cassette/gearing is all personal of course.  I run a compact and used a 12-30.  If I did it again I'd use an 11-28.  The steepest hill is actually going down to Pemberton, there's a little S curve that you are going to be in the small ring for.  It's pretty steep and saw a few folks grinding their way up as they didn't have the right gears or didn't want to downshift.  Other than that there is no real steep parts, just long grinds.

2016-01-29 9:15 AM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Cassette/gearing is all personal of course.  I run a compact and used a 12-30.  If I did it again I'd use an 11-28.  The steepest hill is actually going down to Pemberton, there's a little S curve that you are going to be in the small ring for.  It's pretty steep and saw a few folks grinding their way up as they didn't have the right gears or didn't want to downshift.  Other than that there is no real steep parts, just long grinds.

Thanks Chris. Using 50/34 with 11-28. Figure, think I should be ok with that, right? Works for me on most PV climbs. Plan on losing 6-7 lbs before July so that should help. Can you compare that climb to any local ones that I should practice? Never used disc before. Think it's worth it to buy disc cover from Wheelbuilder??
2016-01-29 12:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by StevenC
Originally posted by ChrisM

Thanks Chris. Using 50/34 with 11-28. Figure, think I should be ok with that, right? Works for me on most PV climbs. Plan on losing 6-7 lbs before July so that should help. Can you compare that climb to any local ones that I should practice? Never used disc before. Think it's worth it to buy disc cover from Wheelbuilder??

If I were doing it again that's the gearing I'd use.  Trying to think about the climb.... only street that's coming to mind is Monero Drive off Granvia Altimara?   Not as long as that though (probably only a couple hundred yards),  and probably not quite that steep.  Problem is it's in the middle of a long downhill so you have to wake the legs up.

Definitely on the disc cover, cheapest speed you can buy.

Just did a quick look on mapmyride  - it's a little s curve near Whistler Shooting Adventures.  roughly looks about an 8% grade so it's not horrible.  But it gets your attention,..... And ETA I don't want to play this little hill up, it's not anything that you or anyone can't handle.  It's just good to be aware of it.   I passed a guy that was absolutely grinding it out to get up it, I figure the less 500W pulls you have to take the better about 15 miles into the run  

Edited by ChrisM 2016-01-29 12:44 PM

2016-01-29 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Would I have issues with a 52/36 and 11/25 cassette?
2016-01-30 4:44 PM

User image

Not being flip, but I wouldn't know. Depends on what kind of rider you are, your size, how you climb on that setup etc. it wouldn't work for me is all I can say. I also know StevenC is a pretty strong cyclist and think he's smart to go with that gearing. I bet he only uses the 28 once though.

Edited by ChrisM 2016-01-30 4:45 PM
2016-03-04 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whistler 70.3 / with IM Canada?

I have to be honest, I'm pretty tick off about it. Yall can say I'm being pissy if you want, and I know that my race is my race, and that this does not have any real effect on my race, but it still ticks me off. I signed up for IM Canada for the challenge and a slightly smaller field. Now I have more people to contend with on race day, transition, the course, restaurants, the area, and Ironman told me nothing about this or the possibility of it when they took my money. I thought, and based off IM history, would have been correct in my belief, that I would be on the course with others who were trying to accomplish the same goal as me on that day. I am in no way bagging on the 70.3 distance, as I've done two and loved them. I also will likely do just them once I've completed this Ironman. The only positive I see for me is also a negative, which is that if I decide not to do the full distance I can drop to the 70.3, which I'm not going to do (barring something that leaves me with no choice), and did not want the option of. Sorry again if this comes off as whining but I feel like WTC just did a bait and switch on me and really don't like it.

2016-03-04 4:30 PM

User image

You won't hear me calling you a whiner.  The 70.3 goes off a couple hours later than you so crowds *shouldn't* be much of an issue, but there are some narrower run trails that might get friendly     Aid stations definitely busier

The village is gonna be WAY more crowded and I really have no idea how they are going to fit all the bikes in rainbow park

ANd I doubt they're gonna let anyone easily switch between 140.6 and 70.3, just watch  

And ETA the cattiest comment...   walking around days after the race and watching people that ran the 70.3 getting congrats for doing an ironman   

Edited by ChrisM 2016-03-04 4:30 PM
2016-03-04 4:43 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
I think this is going to be a transition for holding the full in whistler to holding only a half in 2018. The contract is up next year, and from what I've heard from the professionals finishing, and the age groupers who have, bless their training hearts completed this ironman, this ironman is one of the hardest. I think registration for the full is down. Maybe they are losing money? They are still competing with Penticton Challenge, and I'm not sure if the full will remain in BC?

For those that aren't hard core triathletes, and their bodies aren't capable of doing a full, or have the money for training and everything else that goes with it, a half will be great. My guess is there will likely be a lot more people registering for the half than the full. Again, this is not an easy race. This is no "flat" ironman. If they offer the half again for 2017, I will be signing up. I think it's great! And yeah, people may congratulate the 70.3 peeps, but there will always be and overwhelming amount of respect for those who have accomplished the ironman distance, in whistler of all places. You will be the amazing people at the end of the day. I will be there cheering for you at the finish line. Finishers of Ironman whistler are, in my opinion...little heroes of mine.

I think it's great just having a whole lot of athletes in one place. The energy, the common purpose of being out there, and racing for sport and health. There's nothing better.

2016-03-05 12:09 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Extreme Veteran
Went for my run this a.m. and found 3 positives. Larger crowd means more support / energy, with me being a slower runner I'll likely get to see a few 70.3 people to cheer on and be inspired by, and knowing that some doing the 70.3 will be inspired by some of us to stay active / possibly take on the challenge themselves.
2016-03-29 8:16 AM

New user
Bonney Lake
I had an issue with the 70.3 also. When I was at IM Canada a couple years ago T1 was tight and a complete mess. If they have found some way to make T1 better then I will be ok. However that park is small, real small. We will also be doing a rolling start. I want to see how we will all have to line up for that. Should be interesting.

I just did Tahoe and they had the 70.3 along side the full. The T1 was small but they opened a community center to give more room. It was a bit crazy but worked. The 70.3 went off about an hour or so after the full if I remember right so there was not much mingling on the course. There was some and I remember trying to keep up with some folks on the bike only for them to turn off and go to the finish when I was heading out to lap 2. The only issue I see for this course is where the two bike routes meet up. If we head one way for X miles there will be some of us that will be 3 hours in our bike and having to merge with the 70.3 and then mingle with their turn around etc. I am sure it will all work out just things I was thinking. I do not mind running and riding with all of us, its the turn around and merging I get a bit worried about safety. Done it all in other races and all is fine. I just hope I am at an ok pace the water on the run is still around lol. I just did a run that had two distances a 20 mile and a 20k and when I came back through the water station was done and tore down.
2016-06-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

Master
, California

Originally posted by RunnyBunny I think this is going to be a transition for holding the full in whistler to holding only a half in 2018. The contract is up next year, and from what I've heard from the professionals finishing, and the age groupers who have, bless their training hearts completed this ironman, this ironman is one of the hardest. I think registration for the full is down. Maybe they are losing money? They are still competing with Penticton Challenge, and I'm not sure if the full will remain in BC? For those that aren't hard core triathletes, and their bodies aren't capable of doing a full, or have the money for training and everything else that goes with it, a half will be great. My guess is there will likely be a lot more people registering for the half than the full. Again, this is not an easy race. This is no "flat" ironman. If they offer the half again for 2017, I will be signing up. I think it's great! And yeah, people may congratulate the 70.3 peeps, but there will always be and overwhelming amount of respect for those who have accomplished the ironman distance, in whistler of all places. You will be the amazing people at the end of the day. I will be there cheering for you at the finish line. Finishers of Ironman whistler are, in my opinion...little heroes of mine. I think it's great just having a whole lot of athletes in one place. The energy, the common purpose of being out there, and racing for sport and health. There's nothing better.

I hope that's not the case.  Full IM options are so limited on the west coast already, the last thing we need is to lose another one.

I haven't seen any numbers on registrations but keep in mind Coeur d'Alene has bonus kona slots this year, so it may have attracted some folks who would otherwise go to Whistler.  That won't be the case every year.

2016-06-22 12:55 AM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia

Here is to hoping ironman stays in the west! Keeping my fingers crossed...and my toes.

Edited by RunnyBunny 2016-06-22 12:57 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Canada : Official Thread

Started by 3sportthing
Views: 2087 Posts: 3

2013-03-12 6:08 PM 3sportthing

Ironman Canada : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by cbrave
Views: 26430 Posts: 142

2012-10-21 3:13 PM PeteDin206

Ironman Canada : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by NLG
Views: 26991 Posts: 149

2011-09-08 6:57 PM MacMadame

Ironman Canada : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by mauisurfchick
Views: 21460 Posts: 84

2010-11-20 6:01 AM KathyG

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40453 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
How to train for hills when you don't have any hills to train on

date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.