General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman in April 9 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-05 5:45 PM

Subject: Half Ironman in April 9
Hi All,

I have been signed up for a Half Ironman for a year (Napa HITS) for a significant discount, since completing the Sprint course last year as my first triathlon. I didn't really train very hard and really focused on swimming (As I started learning in January last year) and didn't really work on the bike or run since they were such short distances. I completed that previous year in ~ 1:50, with super slow transitions. Looking back on it I wish I pushed myself a little harder on all 3 legs of the race.

Fast-forward to today. I have been steadily adding workouts (trying to add more biking and running since I have neglected them before) through December and am starting this plan this week: http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/Race_Your_First_703.pdf,utilizing the "time-poor" method with my goal to just finish the race.

I am a little worried about my fitness but I am totally committed to doing this race and completing it. I have completed a Half Marathon in October with a ~ 2:10 finishing time. What do you guys think are realistic goals? And do you think that I would be able to complete this Half Ironman with the plan and timetable that I have, barring no injuries?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I hope this will be a rewarding experience for me!

2016-01-05 6:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Half Ironman in April 9
As you probably realize, this is a big jump from your sprint. Sprints leave a lot of room for mistakes, but a HIM, not so much.

Usually the bike is what will cook you, but so can the run.

Definitely want to focus on what the bike and run courses will be like. Bike is 3KFT of gain, and Run is nearly 1KFT. These are not flat courses.

You'll be swimming over a mile as well, which is another thing that needs serious attention.

You will need to work on your nutrition plan, and be dedicated with your training plan. These are potential areas for a first timer to make mistakes.

As for time, it's hard to say what to expect. For a first HIM, I'd try to go for the experience and enjoy the day. But depending on your goals, you might want to be more competitive.

Another thing that can happen with getting into tri's (longer distances) is you feel the need to "get more in" than your plan says. Rest is really important, and over doing the workouts can lead to a poor result / injuries / fatigue.

Edited by metafizx 2016-01-05 6:46 PM
2016-01-06 11:07 AM
in reply to: ghettoflow21

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
If you follow through with the training plan there is no reason you shouldn't be able to finish...at least based on the limited info you provided.

I was in my early 50s when I did my first HIM and did much less training. In the 6 months prior to the race I swam maybe 10-12 times total, biked 6-8 times, and did mediocre training for a marathon. The marathon was a month out from the HIM and I only ran once between the two races. My course was flatter than what you're going to do, but temps were in the 80s - 90s and very humid. My goals were 40 min swim, 3 hour bike, 2:10 run, 10 minutes transition...total 6 hours. Ended up slower on the swim, faster bike, slower run, faster transitions... 5:57. I held back most of the race thinking I would hit the wall. Never happened and the last two miles of the run were my fastest. I didn't think it was that difficult.

Train your mind to keep going when your body wants to stop...within reason.

You can do it.
2016-01-07 1:54 PM

User image

, South Carolina
There is a free Half Iron training program on here that I used for my first half and it got me in at 5:08 (1:54 on the run). But I stuck to it religiously. I mean I did what it asked on the day it asked for it. No deviations and if there were 2 workouts in a day I tried to get them in as a brick even if it did not specify it. Today I find myself turning to that same program but adding 1 - 2 hours extra a week. I would def do an Olympic distance a solid 6-8 weeks out from your half. No struggle, no strength. Cut out the booze, cut a few pounds and get a nutrition plan for day to day and during the race (every 10min 3 sips hydration every 20 min 2 sips gel something like that)
I think you should shoot for sub 6:00 at least. 38 min swim, 2:55 bike that leaves you 2:20 on the run. Giving you 7 min for the trannies.
2016-01-07 1:56 PM
in reply to: elbuuros

User image

, South Carolina
Umm I just read the elevation report for your Tri. Train on race terrain, get in some hill work!
2016-01-07 6:01 PM
in reply to: elbuuros

Thanks elbuuros for the motivation, but I think you may be overestimating my abilities. I will definitely stick to the plan that I have and push myself. Would you recommend hill training on the treadmill? I have never tried it before.

2016-01-08 1:09 PM

User image

Hill training on the treadmill is fine, just a bit boring :P 

I'd train on hilly courses outside any day of the week if I could, but if you live in a flat area, then sure, the treadmill will get you ready for the run part of the hills, no problem.

2016-01-08 3:23 PM

User image

, South Carolina
What about some trail races/runs to get you motivated? I find it engages the core and other muscles that treadmill and road running just don't do. You will be about a minute to minute and a half slower per mile on your pace but who cares cause the scenery will be awesome. This will give you some kind of confidence. Start slow and easy.
I am partial to trails near any kind of water.
Treadmill = last resort

2016-01-08 3:25 PM

User image

, South Carolina
Have you signed up for an Oly before your HIM yet? Don't delay or be hesitating.
2016-01-13 5:04 PM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

I have no signed up for an Oly. Would you recommend me signing up for one like in late February to prep?
2016-01-14 9:01 AM

User image

, South Carolina
Again just my opinion.
Don't tell your friends or spouse that you are doing it. Keep it on the DL. That takes the pressure off and you are not looking for time. You are looking to get the process of getting there, getting ready and being able to pace yourself properly.

A sprint or Oly 6-8 weeks prior could not hurt as long as you make it your long or tough workout for the week followed up with some recovery. NO INJURIES is the key to this race. It needs to be a confidence builder!
1 it will give you some experience getting through the transitions and you'll have those times where you will be like" Im not going to do that again, or I can do that better". 2. What did you eat the night before? Did it work? Sweet potatoes some fish/oysters and a pint of Guiness is my go to 3. What did you eat that a.m. did it settle well? Egg whites and whole wheat toast? 4. If you have ever been to the dog track and you bet on the dog that takes a restroom break on the track usually that dog will win, you feeling me?

Not sure of your local so it may be a pool swim but no worries cause this is going to give you confidence going into the final stretch of training. Again no pushing it. Think about being fluid and focused as possible. Fluid in the water, aero on the bike, nice easy cadence on the run and no thinking about first world problems!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman in April 9 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Team Skinny April 2014....April Fools don't join the team and get leaner Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 4637 Posts: 58

2014-05-01 12:01 AM Shermbelle

75% sure dropping out of Half-Ironman in April; help convince me to pull the trigger Pages: 1 2

Started by fattrigirl
Views: 2550 Posts: 42

2012-02-15 10:13 PM fattrigirl

ironman and half ironman

Started by davemadoch
Views: 950 Posts: 8

2007-04-20 2:17 PM davemadoch

marathon and half-ironman (or Ironman)

Started by Butcher
Views: 1278 Posts: 5

2007-01-05 9:25 AM Butcher

RECOVERY from Half Ironman/Ironman

Started by gammy999
Views: 1261 Posts: 4

2005-09-13 11:28 AM Hudnick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.