General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello, I am starting the journey Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-06 4:07 AM

Subject: Hello, I am starting the journey
Hello all and thanks for all the great info on this site. My name is Denis and I am 63 years old, have been running for decades and want to become a triathlete this year. Years ago I did a lot of road bike riding. Swimming is my challenge.

My initial goals are to be comfortable swimming 600 yards by April ( I live in Florida in the winter, Connecticut in summer). I will swim three days a week and run three days a week for the next two months while I learn /investigate what bike to purchase. I also want to compete in a begging triathalon this summer in CT.

I love to read, so looking for resources, books for the beginner, web sites, etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips you provide.

Thanks Denis

2016-01-06 4:36 AM
in reply to: denisf

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Subject: RE: Hello, I am starting the journey
Welcome Denis,

I just signed on as well, and am getting back into the sport after a 15 year hiatus. Take some swimming lessons and work on technique. Swimming is all technique. As far as bikes go, a reputable bike shop should be able to set you up. If you have an old road bike, just get going on that. If you are going to stick to sprints and Olympic distance events I'd probably stick with a road bike, and get some clip on aerobars.

Good luck, and have fun. Enjoy that Florida sun. It's -10 Celsius here this morning.

Cheers
Terry
2016-01-07 12:03 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Hi Denis,

Fellow Connecticut guy here. This will be my third season in the sport. Did my first Sprint at 56 years old, so I'm a youngster

Lots of good info here, as well as very helpful mentors. You might enjoy participating in a mentor group.

Regarding books, Joe Friel is a well know endurance sport author. He's written a book for those who are doing their first triathlon and it contains all the basic information needed to get you going. I'm currently reading his book "Fast after 50", which is pretty interesting.

Regarding a summer triathlon in Ct, there are a bunch to pick from. The Niantic Bay Sprint Triathlon is held in early August. It is very well run and I think they even have a beginner wave for those who are new to swimming.

Best of luck and welcome to BT.

Dave
2016-01-07 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Welcome! Best of luck training and getting that swim technique and fitness down. It is a fun journey!
2016-01-12 6:59 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Melon Presser
Welcome to BT and triathlon! Check out our Mentor Groups--link is at top of this forum and Triathlon Talk as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello, I am starting the journey Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started the journey in 2011

Started by cobblers
Views: 717 Posts: 2

2012-01-03 2:13 PM TriAya

Just getting started on my life journey

Started by wstein
Views: 772 Posts: 3

2009-09-27 3:09 PM wstein

Obese man starting this long journey!

Started by ebarton
Views: 863 Posts: 14

2006-05-09 11:20 AM CubeFarmGopher

Hello - I am just getting started

Started by ldittle
Views: 705 Posts: 3

2004-12-13 10:54 PM G8RSAX

Start of a Long Journey

Started by qneill
Views: 644 Posts: 4

2004-07-17 5:36 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : June 5, 2006
author : davewg
My journey began after visiting a friend in the hospital after his wife had just had twins. I noticed immediately that he looked great. He had easily lost 30 pounds since the last time I had seen him.
date : January 1, 2006
author : dara
Ironman is all consuming and deciding to complete one can never be taken lightly. Triathlon is a lifestyle, so don’t rush the journey to your first Ironman; enjoy your new way of life.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.