General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Night Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-10 5:55 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Night Running
The diminishing daylight brought on by seasonal changes and daylight savings time dictates that some of my runs be undertaken in the evenings and under the cover of darkness. I have never been a fan of treadmills so they aren't really an option. I live on a rural road and though the posted speed limit of 45 mph is rarely observed, traffic is generally light. The street lights on my road are few and far between but I find moon and starlight more than adequate to illuminate my path. Even when it is cloudy and overcast I'm amazed at how my eyes adapt. Traffic is a consideration but I wear reflective clothing and run facing traffic so I can move to the other side when vehicles approach or completely off the road if that's the safer option. I live on the border of the Great Dismal Swamp and on a recent run decided to don my headlamp and head into the abyss. It was really cool. The beam of my headlight would pierce through the seemingly impenetrable darkness and follow the sudden twists and turns of my head. It was a little unnerving as the GDS is home to black bears and numerous other potentially dangerous animals. Even so it's a real blast and I believe well worth the minimal risk. I think it's easy to become bored and complacent with the same training routines (routes) and this is a great way to add a little adventure and excitement to the same ole, same ole. I highly recommend! Anyone else with similar experiences?

2016-01-10 6:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: RE: Night Running
I enjoy running in the dark and it is even better with a little snow.

I live on a country road like you, but mine has more traffic, several curves, no lights, and some limited shoulders and escape routes so I usually drive the 2 miles to the edge of town where the sidewalks start.

I have done some trail running after dark on a full moon night when there is snow on the ground. That is a lot of fun too. It is so quiet you can hear your own heart beat.

There are no bears here though. We just have the occasional deer to spook or a grouchy racoon but I doubt the will eat me.

Edited by stevemorey 2016-01-10 6:22 PM
2016-01-10 6:48 PM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Most of my running comes in the pre-dawn hours.  I don't like running with a light, so I stay in the neighborhood most of the time.  If the moon is out and giving up enough light, I'll run through the park next to the neighborhood.  No bears, but I have jumped feral hogs and they will scare the ___ out of you, and can be dangerous.  I've probably run into and around 10 skunks, but never had any issues.  The best part is seeing shooting start and large owls.

2016-01-10 7:00 PM
in reply to: CBess

I'll agree with that, but mine is typically in the morning, as opposed to the night. An early morning run in the early spring or late fall with the stars out is lovely! I often times find myself watching the sky and not being very mindful of my run. It is really wonderful!

Matt
2016-01-10 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I run in the dark from time. I like to use a headlamp although it sometimes throws off my depth-perception. My last lamp had a red light option which was a little better. However, it seemed to startle others when I'd be out running. Maybe they thought I was the terminator?
2016-01-10 9:07 PM

User image

I love night running. I am far south of the GDS, and usually run thru my neighborhood. There are a few night trail runs here but I haven't been able to do one.

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of running during a meteor shower. My neighborhood was well lite with Christmas lights. It was really a great night.

2016-01-10 10:05 PM

User image

Pro

Nice poetic view of running in the dark.  A good headlamp.  Reflective items.  maybe a red blinky light on your hind quarters- and I think you're good to go.  I also have a reflective cape for my best running dog.

early morning runs are wonderful.  Most days where I live, the mornings are clear, crisp and cool- with a few thousand stars to enjoy.  The local wildlife population also seem to have reflectors on them... their eyes.  I can quickly spot, and tell the difference between, most of the local fauna.  Coyote, Javelina, rabbits, feral cats, mule deer, skunks (good to be able to spot from a distance), all by the separation, elevation and color of their reflective eyes.  It's just another dimension of running enjoyment.

I don't mind running in the cold and dark.  Not crazy about cycling in the cold and dark.  dark is OK, but not cold and dark for the bike.  Just no fun for me.

2016-01-11 7:31 AM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Originally posted by stevemorey

I enjoy running in the dark and it is even better with a little snow.

The last two years were great for that. There is something so serene about being the only one out in the snow at night. One of my true running pleasures is to be the first person to put down tracks in the snow while the world is quiet and hunkered down. This year, I doubt we will get any real snow, so that is disappointing.
2016-01-11 1:27 PM

User image

DC
Originally posted by CBess

The diminishing daylight brought on by seasonal changes and daylight savings time dictates that some of my runs be undertaken in the evenings and under the cover of darkness. I have never been a fan of treadmills so they aren't really an option. I live on a rural road and though the posted speed limit of 45 mph is rarely observed, traffic is generally light. The street lights on my road are few and far between but I find moon and starlight more than adequate to illuminate my path. Even when it is cloudy and overcast I'm amazed at how my eyes adapt. Traffic is a consideration but I wear reflective clothing and run facing traffic so I can move to the other side when vehicles approach or completely off the road if that's the safer option. I live on the border of the Great Dismal Swamp and on a recent run decided to don my headlamp and head into the abyss. It was really cool. The beam of my headlight would pierce through the seemingly impenetrable darkness and follow the sudden twists and turns of my head. It was a little unnerving as the GDS is home to black bears and numerous other potentially dangerous animals. Even so it's a real blast and I believe well worth the minimal risk. I think it's easy to become bored and complacent with the same training routines (routes) and this is a great way to add a little adventure and excitement to the same ole, same ole. I highly recommend! Anyone else with similar experiences?

Agree w/all the "love running at night posts."

As an aside, I recently got this $14 head lamp. I'm shocked at the quality... as near perfect as it gets.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQVSDF2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref...
2016-01-11 4:17 PM

User image

I love night running but I don't love the footing. I have a mesh reflective construction vest that I wear. I run facing traffic even though I end up with headlights shining in my eyes. I'd rather be partially blinded than be hit from behind. For some reason, I always feel that I'm going faster than I actually am at night.
2016-01-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I love this!  I agree - poetic.

I personally love to light myself up like a Christmas tree.  I run night-time relays regularly enough I have invested in cool gear such as vest with LED lights front and back, shoe lights (Night Runner 270s), a powerful headlamp, and whatever other blinkies are laying around.  For races I wear LED dreadlocks on a handband that bounce as you go.  It's really fun, you get a lot of crowd support that way.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Night Running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Night running.

Started by BroncoInNC
Views: 1503 Posts: 22

2010-10-09 5:59 AM JZig

Best Head Lamp or light for night running?

Started by SAWFISH50
Views: 24631 Posts: 20

2010-05-06 2:53 AM Foxman09

last nights running issue

Started by Thaitri
Views: 861 Posts: 5

2010-02-24 2:11 AM Slugger

Night Running

Started by Little Tom
Views: 1150 Posts: 17

2007-02-13 1:53 PM Graycat

Night Running/Biking

Started by bradword
Views: 857 Posts: 9

2006-12-12 9:02 PM TexOma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2013
author : LexieM
comments : 1
The night before my first triathlon I didn’t sleep very well. My thoughts were on the next day, the enormity of the task looming frighteningly close.

date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.
date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
My hunger stays under control well enough throughout the day eating every couple hours but come 9:00 pm I am again craving something sweet and if I don't eat I don't sleep.

date : August 7, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
My trouble is this: I work overnights, 11pm-7am. How many hours should I keep between workouts? What constitutes a 'day'? How does rearranging days affect the overall plans?
date : March 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Provide your body with a wholesome and nutritious meal and keep healthy, low-calorie evening snacks available for after dinner.

date : November 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Sometimes things do not always go as planned, but an interesting and entertaining experience can come of it.