redpoint running
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 42s
Overall Rank = 25/76
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Took Gunnar for his walk, got my stuff together and drove to pick up Tracie. Then drove the hour to the race site. Along the way, ate a bagel and drank diet coke.
Event warmup:

none.
Run
  • 2h 04m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

On my easy run Friday I noticed that my right Achilles was a little cranky. It wasn't too bad, but enough to concern me since for the last 18 months or so, I've been dealing with this same Achilles giving me trouble. I put the crankiness down to over stretching it on the slant board the evening before. As luck would have it, my right hip was also sore. This is something that's been bothering me on and off since late September. I thought it was all healed, but I think i aggravated it earlier in the week, probably when doing kettle bell swings. So, I went into this race a bit concerned that I should not actually run it because of my owies and since the terrain would probably be harder on them then the road.

But, one thing I do consistently is stupid stuff, so I ran. The race is a very, very small trail race and is the 3d in a series put on by this company. I also ran the 2d in the series. All the races were at different venues, so I didn't know what the course would be like, but it was advertised as a less technical trail than the 2d. And it was.

The last race was run on a single track bike course that was really, really, really rooty with some other bike obstacles thrown in for fun. This course was pretty much wide open trail. The terrain varied from hard pack dirt to softer sand covered with pine needles, to kind of easy to run on grass to really spongy grass. It even had about .30 of a mile of sidewalk. The .5 mile extra loop was single track with roots. So, the course was not technical, but it was challenging.

Like last race, I was there with one of my running program friends. This time it was Tracie. She is faster than me, but has a marathon this weekend, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to stick with her. Then there was Freeman. He also sometimes runs with the program. He was at the last race too and he annoyed the crapola out of me by staying on my ass for miles and miles. I hoped that without single track, if he was near me he'd at least run next to me or off my ass a bit, but I wasn't optimistic.

The gun went off and Tracie and I started together. I wasn't sure where Freeman was. In pretty short order it became clear that I was not going to be running with Tracie! But I hoped to use her to pace off which meant not letting her get too far ahead. That worked pretty well the entire first loop. In fact, there were a couple of times where I thought I would catch her. But, nope. I was aware that Freeman was near me most of the first loop too. He would catch up, run on my ass for a while and then back off. This wouldn't be so annoying if he didn't have such a heavy footfall. In fact, he kind of runs like he's a zombie -arms sort of hanging by his sides, not picking his feet up much. And, even with all the room in the world, he'd just come right up on my ass!! Thankfully, unlike last race he didn't stay there too long any one time.

At about mile 5.5 we ran into the back of the 5k people, so the course did get a bit crowded. But it was kind of nice to actually pass people. About a mile later, the 5kers headed to the finish and the rest of us did the extra single track loop. This was where Freeman got right on my ass. When we came out, he passed me. Yay! But that didn't last long. He stopped or slowed to do something -nutrition I think, so I passed him and he never passed me back.

It was on this second loop that I lost sight of Tracie. I had her in my vision until about a mile into it when we were on hard packed dirt and she picked up the pace and soon was a little dot on the horizon. Then the dot was gone!

At this point it seemed like I was alone on the course, I could see no one in front of me and heard no one behind me. That didn't last forever though as Freeman re-emerged! Once again he came right up on my tail. We were actually running through a field at that point, so he had tons of room to move around me, but nope, he just sat there. As I was getting ready to tell him it was his turn to pace and to move pass, he dropped off. He never really got close enough again to bug me!! Woo Hoo!

It was on the second loop that my Achilles and hip started screaming at me. I spent some quality time poking my finger into my hip trying to get some relief. It was not effective! I contemplated stopping, but decided it hurt the same to run or walk, so I might as well run and get it over with sooner. I'm such a smarty! To be honest, my ego probably made me keep running. Stupid ego!

In the last mile or so I finally came up to some runners (so I wasn't alone out there!) and was able to pass them pretty easily. Then there was the finish line. Woo Hoo!!

Crossed the finish line and was handed a huge medal, a pint glass with a really cool design and a bottle of water. Tracie came over to me and she was already halfway done with a beer! She finished 6 minutes ahead of me! My second loop was definitely slower than my first, but hers was way faster. She said during the first 4 miles of the race she was cursing me and Susan (who talked her into it and then had to bail) and cursing trail running. This is a woman who just last year hiked the entire AT, she should love trails!! After the first loop she started to enjoy herself and decided she better stop running so slowly! Ha, her slow is even faster than my race pace!!
Freeman finished about 30 seconds after I finished. He later said his plan all along was to pace off me. But, I ran this race faster than the last, so he had trouble staying up with me. I really should have told him that pacing off me is fine, but he needs to stay back just a bit or move to the side or something other than literally breathing down my neck! Hmm, do you think this bothered me :)
After I changed clothes it was my turn to get some beer. Tracie had another just to keep me company and we waited for the awards. The nice thing about small races is they get to the awards quickly and you have a real good chance of getting one!
Tracie won her AG, I won mine and Freeman came in 8 in his. I guess he shouldn't pick a woman who is 6-7 years older than him to pace off!! ;)

After that it was time for a late breakfast. My hip and Achilles were really jacked up, so I limped my way through the rest of the day.
What would you do differently?:

Not running with a hurt Achilles and hip would be a start!
Post race
Warm down:

just walking to the car for clothes to change into and back to the finish line for beer and awards.

Event comments:

I really enjoy the races this company puts on and hope to do the whole series next year.

Last updated: 2015-12-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:42 | 13.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 25/76
Performance:
Course: Two loop course with a little extra .5 side loop on the first go round.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-01-11 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Fl ROC trail HM @ Princess Place

2016-01-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: #5160986

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Fl ROC trail HM @ Princess Place

Congratulations on getting through. I hope the ouchfest is over!

2016-01-11 2:36 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Congrats on the AG win!! Sounds like Freeman needs a throat punch. I hope your injuries heal quickly.
2016-01-11 2:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

1st AG - yes!!!  Congrats!

Ouchie hip and Achilles - boo, get them happy again, please.

Freeman = Sasquatch?  Your description of his running style and the fact that he tails you on trail allowed me to make the connection. 

2016-01-11 4:26 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Jet Black Congrats on the AG win!! Sounds like Freeman needs a throat punch. I hope your injuries heal quickly.

hahaha, a throat punch would take care of things!

2016-01-11 4:27 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

1st AG - yes!!!  Congrats!

Ouchie hip and Achilles - boo, get them happy again, please.

Freeman = Sasquatch?  Your description of his running style and the fact that he tails you on trail allowed me to make the connection. 

I was thinking zombie, but sasquatch may be more appropriate!

2016-01-12 4:30 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Melon Presser
One thing I do consistently is stupid stuff ROTFL ... yeah, I resemble that remark. Anyway, though, CONGRATS CHAMP!!!
2016-01-13 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Wooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooo!!  Congrats on the AG win & the cool swag... and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who does stupid things...  

Seriously, what the hell is up with that guy - I think the throat punch would be a very effective method to get him to BACK OFF!  :D 

2016-01-13 4:22 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Well done Anne-Marie. I hope your hurry bits are feeling better.
2016-01-14 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats to you and Tracie on your AG wins! I love getting pint glasses from races, and it was nice of Tracie to have a second beer to keep you company.

Um, yeah, Freeman needs to buy a clue.

Hope you're feeling better.

2016-01-22 5:40 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

This sounds like a really fun race, lots of terrain diversity. Great job!

2016-01-24 10:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Nice work Ann-Marie! Way to HTFU, I hope you allow yourself to heal up well and not overdo it so you can HTFU again, LOL Yeah, heavy breather right behind me would not be cool and could end up with a snot rocket
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fl ROC trail HM @ Princess Place Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fl ROC Trail @ Spruce Creek

Started by amd723
Views: 1825 Posts: 11

2015-11-17 2:10 PM amd723

6e ROC Friese Poort Triathlon Friesland

Started by Snaaijer
Views: 1096 Posts: 1

2012-07-01 8:28 AM Snaaijer

ROC 5k

Started by smilford
Views: 727 Posts: 1

2007-10-01 10:46 AM smilford

ROC Adventure Run

Started by Kam32
Views: 988 Posts: 3

2007-06-11 10:49 AM Ridgelake

ROC Night - O at Powder Mills Park

Started by Kam31
Views: 1136 Posts: 3

2006-11-06 8:36 PM rkreuser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.