General Discussion Triathlon Talk » REAL temperature you'll swim in (wetsuit) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-12 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: REAL temperature you'll swim in (wetsuit)
I have an OWS tri in the middle of April. I hope to get out a time or 3 and swim, before that date.

I'm thinking about ordering the T1 (green goma 3mm wetsuit material) swim cap from Desoto. I have a wetsuit I like.

So, how "warm" does the water have to be for you to get in and give it a go? How much of a shock to the system is 65 deg. to someone who's never really done OWS? Do I need the booties, too? I am NOT proud

2016-01-12 8:56 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: REAL temperature you'll swim in (wetsuit)
It really depends on what your normal temperature is (i.e. what you are used to). 65F in a wet suit is NOT cold. I'm not much of a swimmer (primarily a duathlete), but I've swam in water from ~55F without booties, head gear etc.
2016-01-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by audiojan

It really depends on what your normal temperature is (i.e. what you are used to). 65F in a wet suit is NOT cold. I'm not much of a swimmer (primarily a duathlete), but I've swam in water from ~55F without booties, head gear etc.

Well, I assume the pool we swim in at the local college (Masters Class) is around 80 deg. F. The pool I use in the summer get up to close to 90 deg. F.

^That's what I'm used to.
2016-01-12 9:42 AM

User image

65 is not bad.  Bring room temp water and pour into your suit before going in.  It keeps the shock of entering cold water down.  I did an OWS a few years ago that's in July and the water is typically warm.  I've done the race maybe half a dozen times.  I knew the ocean temp had been cooler then normal so I had a wet suit in the car but opted out when I got dropped off.  Once I walked over the dune I saw most of the people there in wetsuits and knew I was in trouble.  I think the water temp was in the mid to upper 50's.  I was hypothermic for about an hour after the race. 

2016-01-12 9:59 AM

User image

Exton, PA
All depends on you.

I've done Sprint tri's with no wetsuit as low as 57°F. You can also spend time getting used to cold water before you do your event. take cold showers for a couple days before and then the swim won't be a shock.
2016-01-12 10:12 AM

User image

Carmel, Indiana
I did in race in Ontario a couple of year ago where the shoreline temp was 55 (I can assure you the middle of the lake was not 55). It really put me in a bad state. I finished the swim in a breaststroke and my pace was practically slo-mo. My ride & run were equally pathetic. Never had that experience with water temps in the low 60s.

2016-01-12 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Cold water weenie here.  If it were to be below 70 for getting out and doing some swimming I'd have a T1 cap on and maybe booties. You then can see if they are needed for more OWS and the tri later on.  Middle April here in central FL the water temps here can still vary 10deg (mid 60-70), all depends what the weather does the week or 2 before the event.  I did an April sprint here once without a wetsuit and the water was 66F, the 1st dive in took my breath away and by the end of it I had a headache.  Then again if I don't cover my ears when the air is in the 40/50's here I can get a headache from it, too many cold days in my youth in upstate NY I guess!

2016-01-12 11:45 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Denver, Colorado
I was a very inexperienced swimmer when I swam in the lake - without a wesuite - in the lower 60. What helped me: cold baths every day. It doesn't have to be extremely freezing cold, just cold. Sit in your bath tub for 15 minutes, increase it to 20. Observe how your body feels and responses to the cold. It took me around a week and 62 F felt like jacuzzi.
2016-01-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The problem with cold water is the initial shock.  Very soon after that you will get acclimated to it.  I used to worry that I would be miserable the whole way and get out of the water freezing, but that's never the case.  It's just the first minute or so when it takes your breath away.  The mental prep is very important.  I think my coldest has been 65ish.  

2016-01-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I've gone down to 58 degree in a sleeveless wetsuit, regular swim cap.  That was cold but manageable for an Olympic.

anything colder you really need full sleeves and want to consider a neoprene swim cap.

Swim fast it warms you up!

2016-01-12 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by nc452010

Well, I assume the pool we swim in at the local college (Masters Class) is around 80 deg. F. The pool I use in the summer get up to close to 90 deg. F.

Holy cow! I wouldn't be able to swim in water that warm. We had that happen once or twice in HS swimming and the feeling of sweating as you are swimming was no bueno. Thinking about it now, I wouldn't like the lack of heat dissipation one bit.

On the other side, I've done HIM at 53F in a sleeveless wetsuit, but I wasn't happy about it. Arms were actually ok, but my feet were popsicles. Like others have said, that initial shock was something. I think my toes finally thawed out around mile 40 of the bike

2016-01-12 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

As soon as the ice breaks up on our local lakes I start measuring water temps by wading in to my knees.  If my ankles and calves start to ache it is too cold.  I've been in pretty cold water to take the temps but for swimming purposes I don't like to start swimming in the lakes until they warm up to 17C/ 62.6F.  At 17C the water is cool but reasonably tolerable and 18C/ 64.4F is comfortable.

I own a neoprene swim cap but have never worn it.  I don't own booties and I doubt I would have occasion to wear them if I did own a pair.  I think if I wanted to swim at temps below 17 I would be wearing my warmer swim cap and looking for booties.  Maybe some gloves too.

2016-01-12 12:56 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

The problem with cold water is the initial shock.  Very soon after that you will get acclimated to it.  I used to worry that I would be miserable the whole way and get out of the water freezing, but that's never the case.  It's just the first minute or so when it takes your breath away.  The mental prep is very important.  I think my coldest has been 65ish.  

x2

Racine 70.3 this year was 59 degrees. Took me about 10-15 minutes of presoaking to get used to it, but once the race started, I was fine. In a Xterra Sleeveless.
2016-01-12 2:41 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by CycloneVM

Originally posted by nc452010

Holy cow! I wouldn't be able to swim in water that warm. We had that happen once or twice in HS swimming and the feeling of sweating as you are swimming was no bueno. Thinking about it now, I wouldn't like the lack of heat dissipation one bit.

On the other side, I've done HIM at 53F in a sleeveless wetsuit, but I wasn't happy about it. Arms were actually ok, but my feet were popsicles. Like others have said, that initial shock was something. I think my toes finally thawed out around mile 40 of the bike

If you lived here.....and wanted to swim outdoors, you'd adapt or not swim. Even the bigger lakes here get extremely warm in the summer.
2016-01-12 7:06 PM
in reply to: #5161238

, Ontario
I have never tested how low I'll go with a wetsuit in terms of water temp. I'm used to ows from growing up at a cottage every summer which had cold water. My usual trick is to get in quickly and be as active - I don't usually try to swim with my head under until body is adjusted or my inability to breathe will make me feel it is cold - as possible for 10 min after you get in then body gets warm and adjusts. Running if there is shallow water shoulder deep, bobs, runs into and out of the water.... I've swum without a wetsuit in the 50s but prefer wetsuit now for anything under 64. I don't own a cap or booties and cannot imagine how to swim in booties
2016-01-13 5:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Another cold water weenie here. I'm a skinny runt and live most of the year in the tropics--worst case scenario. If it's wetsuit legal, I'm in my wetsuit. Even in the pool! That being said, if it's above about 70-72, I'll wear my sleeveless shorty suit. I just love it--full mobility for all strokes, super-quick to get out of, and if my core is warm, I'm happy. Below that, I'm in a full suit. I've had okay training swims down to 62 and good races down to 66 with the full suit. If it's in the 60's. I'm in my neoprene cap. Not so much for warmth on the swim as to keep my body heat in in transition (leave it on until I put on my bike helmet) as by definition that race would be in the Pacific Northwest, and our summer mornings are not warm (usually 50-ish, but 40's, even high 30's at altitude, is possible). My biggest problem is that below about 60-62, I just....gasp...can't.... gasp....breathe. Presoaking, putting my face in, warmup don't seem to help. I do have asthma and occasionally cold air triggers it; not sure if my issues are asthma-related or something else. So far the only thing I've been able to do in that situation (it happened once before a race, and a few times in training) is abort mission or switch to the duathlon.

I don't think you need booties for 65 degrees. Your feet don't keep your body heat in that much, and while they might get a little cold, they're not going to freeze. I would consider the neoprene cap, though, and definitely wear a full suit unless you have experience swimming in those conditions in less.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-01-13 5:46 AM

2016-01-13 8:47 AM

User image

, South Carolina
What about earl plugs to minimize the cold water from entering your head? I have seen several peeps wear them in cold water temps. First time I did a 62 degree swim the first 50-100 yards was like having an ice cream headache. I am going to try that bathtub method, excellent suggestion. Guess I am a cold water weenie as well,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » REAL temperature you'll swim in (wetsuit) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Max water temperature for wetsuit swim?

Started by PantherPhan
Views: 2518 Posts: 7

2012-09-29 12:54 AM ktsdad

Wetsuit temperatures?

Started by tikicult
Views: 702 Posts: 3

2010-01-11 7:15 PM 1stTimeTri

temperature rating of wetsuits

Started by triboy_20
Views: 1103 Posts: 2

2009-05-14 3:06 AM DanielG

What water temperature do you wear a wetsuit?

Started by bryans0626
Views: 851 Posts: 5

2007-07-30 3:18 PM newLeaf

Wetsuit water temperature.

Started by Elly
Views: 1680 Posts: 7

2006-05-15 5:31 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?

date : February 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
I find this is occurring after almost every workout. The pattern is always the same: freezing 10 min after a workout and 2 hours to warm up again. I am not sick. My diet is healthy.