General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fuel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-13 10:02 AM

Subject: Fuel
In the past I've seen an equation of sorts for determining how much fuel you should take in during exercise. Now, when I need it, I can't find it anywhere. I'm regularly on the bike trainer for more than 60 minutes and that will soon be the short day. Can someone point me to info regarding fuel intake during exercise?

Thanks in advance!

2016-01-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: jetbluegreg

User image

Subject: RE: Fuel

It is completely individual, and depends on your sweat rate. 

Take a look at this link for information on how to test your sweat rate and determine your hydration needs that way http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/calculating_sweat_rate.pdf

2016-01-13 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Sweat rate has zero bearing on the amount of fuel an individual needs to consume during endurance sports.  It does have relevance in estimating hydration needs.

For bike rides lasting about 90 minutes or longer, the average athlete functions best by consuming about 150 - 300 calories per hour of mostly simple carbohydrates (some people do best with a some protein and fat along with the carbs too).  It's a big range, but needs can vary significantly from person to person.  A good approach is perform your long rides at a higher intensity than you're going to use on race day, and experiment with different fueling rates and different sources to determine what works best for you.  Larger athletes tend to need more, while smaller athletes need less.  Keep in mind that fueling rates are going to be dictated by how much you can absorb at a given intensity, not how many calories you burn.

2016-01-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Sweat rate has zero bearing on the amount of fuel an individual needs to consume during endurance sports.  It does have relevance in estimating hydration needs.

For bike rides lasting about 90 minutes or longer, the average athlete functions best by consuming about 150 - 300 calories per hour of mostly simple carbohydrates (some people do best with a some protein and fat along with the carbs too).  It's a big range, but needs can vary significantly from person to person.  A good approach is perform your long rides at a higher intensity than you're going to use on race day, and experiment with different fueling rates and different sources to determine what works best for you.  Larger athletes tend to need more, while smaller athletes need less.  Keep in mind that fueling rates are going to be dictated by how much you can absorb at a given intensity, not how many calories you burn.

Agree with Don - play around to find what works for you at different intensities and go with that.

Sweat rate is not applicable in this situation (and is often problematic anyway) and I wouldn't bother with a sweat test at least at this point.

Shane
2016-01-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: MikaelEriksson

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by MikaelEriksson

It is completely individual, and depends on your sweat rate. 

Take a look at this link for information on how to test your sweat rate and determine your hydration needs that way http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/calculating_sweat_rate.pdf

Curious to why you suggest a sweat rate test for this specific question and why its dependent on it?
2016-01-13 4:23 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Coach Don and Shane have stated it well. 

it you want to read a marketing ad with some information take a look at the Hammer Nutrition Guide, page 55 starts the fueling section.  It was often referenced a decade ago, heck I used it to learn about hydration and fueling for my 1st HIM.  I'm not affiliated with Hammer, just some FYI.

2016-01-14 8:48 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fuel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fuel or no fuel

Started by jsklarz
Views: 618 Posts: 2

2010-07-15 9:57 PM cardenas1

IM Fuel Belt or no Fuel Belt... That is the question! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by crea0029
Views: 3766 Posts: 70

2009-02-18 12:32 PM Scout7

1/2 IM fuel plan

Started by jg2ga
Views: 1641 Posts: 10

2005-01-19 3:22 PM Tiger Phil

Fuel Belt

Started by dave77x
Views: 609 Posts: 7

2004-09-08 4:20 PM econway

Fuel Belts

Started by langell
Views: 668 Posts: 4

2004-07-09 3:38 PM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Performance starts with fueling, not training! This article provides nutrition tips for ultra-endurance athletes as well as ordinary exercisers who want ultra-energy.

date : May 1, 2006
comments : 1
Below are just a few tips from sports dietitians and other health professionals who help active people transform their food fears into peaceful fueling.
date : March 5, 2006
Many athletes train hard but fail to fuel their bodies at the right times with the right foods. Sound familiar? You might want to think about getting a nutrition check up with a sports dietitian.

date : April 18, 2005
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance
date : April 3, 2005
author : dara
Planing a successful nutrition strategy of fueling for your first Ironman triathlon.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.
date : January 24, 2005
comments : 1
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.

date : December 12, 2004
As an athlete who shows responsibility by training hard, you'll miss the boat if you are irresponsible with fueling your hard worked body.