General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A continuing journey.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-13 10:09 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: A continuing journey....

For those who have followed along, Jr. reached a goal today that he set for himself when he ran his first triathlon at age 14, 4 years ago.  It's bittersweet for me because in a few months he will head off to continue is academic and athletic career in college.  He signed a D1 letter of intent to run XC and track, forgoing a couple of cycling and D2 swim offers. 

A few days after his first race he said, "I'm going to get my pro card before I get out of High School".  I thought it was a pretty ambitious goal, but I learned a bit about dedication and determination from that kid.

He just sent me an email containing this. 

(elite1.png)

Attachments
----------------
elite1.png (182KB - 28 downloads)

2016-01-13 10:17 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: A continuing journey....

Very cool.

2016-01-13 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Kudos and major congrats!
2016-01-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
WOW, congrats! Proud Papa
2016-01-13 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Congrats!

Mark

2016-01-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Very cool! I know you're so proud.

2016-01-13 11:12 AM

User image

That's awesome, good for him !  Both for the scholarship and the card.

But who is Jr ?  I've never heard you mention him before.

Seriously though, congrats.

2016-01-13 11:25 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

That's awesome, good for him !  Both for the scholarship and the card.

But who is Jr ?  I've never heard you mention him before.

Seriously though, congrats.

LOL

I came to this site for him.  I didn't know enough to help and support him in his dreams and goals. As I searched the web 4 years ago in an effort to see what was out there, I came across BT, among other sites.   Many of the turns I suggested he take came from this site and the people here, and I'm grateful.  As he moves on I likely will as well. 

His dreams have become bigger than any I ever had for him, but he is a force of his own will now. 

(gameface.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
gameface.jpg (31KB - 24 downloads)
2016-01-13 12:32 PM

User image

South Texas
Props to you both.
2016-01-13 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
He did it! What a great accomplishment for both of you. From what I can tell, he had a great mentor, props to his pops!
2016-01-13 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Congratulations!!!

2016-01-13 3:25 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Congrats!  He is a special talent. 

A little story...  I was at my bike shop a couple weeks ago talking with the owner (he's a CAT 1 cyclist) and he told me about a recent visit to Pedal Hard in St Louis.  He said this kid came in and performed a 20 FTP test at 374? watts AFTER a 7,500 yd/m swim workout.  I asked him his name (he gave his first name) and I said I think I know who he is...pretty sure he was talking about Jr.  Jr's swim/bike/run numbers amaze me.

2016-01-13 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Congratulations to him and you Left Brain. Thanks for posting his journey as I felt like I come to know him (loved the picture of his grandmother running next to him).

Look forward to watching him one day at Kona.

2016-01-13 4:08 PM

User image

Elite

Very cool!  Congrats!

2016-01-13 4:15 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Pro
Originally posted by JoelO

A little story...  I was at my bike shop a couple weeks ago talking with the owner (he's a CAT 1 cyclist) and he told me about a recent visit to Pedal Hard in St Louis.  He said this kid came in and performed a 20 FTP test at 374? watts AFTER a 7,500 yd/m swim workout.  I asked him his name (he gave his first name) and I said I think I know who he is...pretty sure he was talking about Jr.  Jr's swim/bike/run numbers amaze me.

Yeah, I caught the end of that test and met your guy...nice guy and if he decides to add a facility at his shop train there if you can.A couple of things....first, his test was 345 if I remember right, but it wasnt 374. He has 375 as a goal this year and may get there since he hadnt ridden 100 miles in the last 2 months before that test. Second, while he did swim 7500 before that test, it was about 5 hours before the test. That swim workout is pretty normal. Third, in fairness, there are a half dozen kids in the jr. series who are the same....a couple he has never beaten. These kids, like him, race in relative obscurity but they are monsters. As your owner friend found out, it's something to watch them.
2016-01-13 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like I need to go to Pedal Hard and ask about the kid in there who pulled 410 on his FTP test :p

Congrats on JR's accomplishments, LB, and kudos on your support of his endeavors!

2016-01-13 4:49 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

345 watts is still a lot!  He'll get to 375 when he gives it  a little more attention.  

Patrick is a good guy.  He worked at our firm several years before he followed his passion and opened up his shop.  It's a tough business but he has the best bike mechanic in town (which helps).

2016-01-13 7:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Congratulations. My daughter was not a triathlete but did play college volleyball. The feeling you get when you know your kid is a stud is great. Plus, she was proud to pay for most of her college costs via the scholarship route. She is a successful Geologist now because of a great opportunity for free schooling...which she created all for herself through hard work. She's immensely proud of that.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-01-13 7:17 PM
2016-01-13 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Can an athlete be pro AND get an athletic scholarship these days? It was not the case when I was in college. I recall a big mess when I decided to turn "pro" and accepted prize $ because I wanted to quit my college team (not just to get $, I hated the coach). I ended up having to return the money because it turned out the college coach had to agree for me to quit, and he wouldn't. Maybe I was getting some kind of stipend for books or something--can't remember--and that caused the issue. But I was not on a full or even partial scholarship at the time. I was absolutely floored--I was a legal adult, and I'd just assumed that I was free to leave any contractual agreement I may have had if I just forfeited the stipend and any other benefit I was getting from being on the team. But that was not the case.

I assume you have checked out the legalities of his having the pro card while competing at the college level.
2016-01-13 9:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner Can an athlete be pro AND get an athletic scholarship these days? It was not the case when I was in college. I recall a big mess when I decided to turn "pro" and accepted prize $ because I wanted to quit my college team (not just to get $, I hated the coach). I ended up having to return the money because it turned out the college coach had to agree for me to quit, and he wouldn't. Maybe I was getting some kind of stipend for books or something--can't remember--and that caused the issue. But I was not on a full or even partial scholarship at the time. I was absolutely floored--I was a legal adult, and I'd just assumed that I was free to leave any contractual agreement I may have had if I just forfeited the stipend and any other benefit I was getting from being on the team. But that was not the case. I assume you have checked out the legalities of his having the pro card while competing at the college level.

Yes.  He can't take any money above his expenses, and what expenses can be covered are spelled out.  USAT even designates his elite status with a "collegiate designation".  Even as a Jr. in the Jr Elite series he "won" money for placing high.(as long as expenses up to the amount alloted can be verified/proven)  It's actually not called prize money, but rather support of high level Jrs. from USAT's development program.  All of it has to be reported to the NCAA.  It's actually not even a fine line.....it's a real line. 

Besides, he will likely only race "elite" in draft legal races and continental cups.......he's not likely to win any prize money against those pro fields yet.  On the other end, after this season, he may not race much triathlon at all in the next few years.....time will tell.  He decided to run track and XC in college vs. swimming or cycling specifically to get his 10K under 30 minutes.  He knows without that metric a "pro" license doesn't mean much in the DL format when he comes back to triathlon after college. At this point in his life he has zero desire for long course or any other non-draft racing.......he's a proud product of USAT's development program.  Again....time  will tell.

Where he dreams to go in triathlon the run is the game. 

For now.......he's a "pro" in name only......he still asks me for money every day.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-01-13 9:37 PM
2016-01-14 2:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Hot Runner Can an athlete be pro AND get an athletic scholarship these days? It was not the case when I was in college. I recall a big mess when I decided to turn "pro" and accepted prize $ because I wanted to quit my college team (not just to get $, I hated the coach). I ended up having to return the money because it turned out the college coach had to agree for me to quit, and he wouldn't. Maybe I was getting some kind of stipend for books or something--can't remember--and that caused the issue. But I was not on a full or even partial scholarship at the time. I was absolutely floored--I was a legal adult, and I'd just assumed that I was free to leave any contractual agreement I may have had if I just forfeited the stipend and any other benefit I was getting from being on the team. But that was not the case. I assume you have checked out the legalities of his having the pro card while competing at the college level.

Yes.  He can't take any money above his expenses, and what expenses can be covered are spelled out.  USAT even designates his elite status with a "collegiate designation".  Even as a Jr. in the Jr Elite series he "won" money for placing high.(as long as expenses up to the amount alloted can be verified/proven)  It's actually not called prize money, but rather support of high level Jrs. from USAT's development program.  All of it has to be reported to the NCAA.  It's actually not even a fine line.....it's a real line. 

Besides, he will likely only race "elite" in draft legal races and continental cups.......he's not likely to win any prize money against those pro fields yet.  On the other end, after this season, he may not race much triathlon at all in the next few years.....time will tell.  He decided to run track and XC in college vs. swimming or cycling specifically to get his 10K under 30 minutes.  He knows without that metric a "pro" license doesn't mean much in the DL format when he comes back to triathlon after college. At this point in his life he has zero desire for long course or any other non-draft racing.......he's a proud product of USAT's development program.  Again....time  will tell.

Where he dreams to go in triathlon the run is the game. 

For now.......he's a "pro" in name only......he still asks me for money every day.

Hahaha ... no, that makes him a real pro in triathlon ... everyone's still gotta lean on family support!

Big congrats!!!

2016-01-14 8:16 AM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, I caught the end of that test and met your guy...nice guy and if he decides to add a facility at his shop train there if you can.A couple of things....first, his test was 345 if I remember right, but it wasnt 374. He has 375 as a goal this year and may get there since he hadnt ridden 100 miles in the last 2 months before that test. Second, while he did swim 7500 before that test, it was about 5 hours before the test. That swim workout is pretty normal. Third, in fairness, there are a half dozen kids in the jr. series who are the same....a couple he has never beaten. These kids, like him, race in relative obscurity but they are monsters. As your owner friend found out, it's something to watch them.

Nice going! Good to see the perspective with this. It's amazing how quickly numbers like this become normal when putting faster people together.

Curious about where and what he may be running as it's both XC and track? Did see that the end goal was improved 10k speed.

2016-01-14 8:47 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Nice going! Good to see the perspective with this. It's amazing how quickly numbers like this become normal when putting faster people together.

Curious about where and what he may be running as it's both XC and track? Did see that the end goal was improved 10k speed.

He's going to run for Southeast Missouri State.  He wanted to stay within a few hours of home and the coach there won him over.  It surprised all of us because he had offers at bigger schools, but in the end he felt at home there.

Right now he's an 800/mile runner.....and more 800.  He'll likely go 1:50-1:52 this year and probably get to 4:10 or so in the mile.  But he falls off a bit after that.  His open 5K PR is 15:10 and his 10K is 32:15 (he's only ran it once).  It's not really unexpected as he has never ran more than 35 miles per week.....and that was only over a 3 week period last XC season.  The idea has been to build his speed, and then stretch it out later......later is here.  The coach there won him over because he was willing to look back over the last 4 years of Jrs. training peak account and custom build his workouts, building on what he has done to get here, and building miles while still incorporating swimming.  He knows he can't throw him into a 70 mpw program and has a plan to get him there in 2-3 years. 

Sooooo.....for now he will run 8K and 10K in XC, then run the 1200 leg on a distance medley relay that will likely make NCAA championships, and concentrate on the 1500 individually in track, for now.  He will run XC, then indoor and outdoor track so it will be a year long run program for him. 

The best asset for Jr. has been his patience.  He bought in very early to the idea that this would be a very long project, with many ups and many downs. He has always been content to just do the work and let the races shake out as they do.  If his work has any application for the rest of us, it's in the idea that nothing about getting faster in endurance sport can be done quickly........there are no shortcuts.

2016-01-14 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

If his work has any application for the rest of us, it's in the idea that nothing about getting faster in endurance sport can be done quickly........there are no shortcuts.

A take home message, for sure!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A continuing journey.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Journey Continues

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1614 Posts: 5

2009-05-11 6:54 AM wgraves7582

The Tyler Hamilton story continues

Started by Browe79
Views: 470 Posts: 1

2004-09-23 10:15 AM Browe79

Wetsuit in SE WI...the saga continues

Started by CindyK
Views: 503 Posts: 1

2004-08-13 9:28 PM CindyK

Accident saga continues...

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 1091 Posts: 16

2004-09-09 7:31 PM Lara

Efficient T1 continued

Started by Tri Iowa
Views: 921 Posts: 3

2004-06-09 6:16 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.
date : June 5, 2006
author : davewg
My journey began after visiting a friend in the hospital after his wife had just had twins. I noticed immediately that he looked great. He had easily lost 30 pounds since the last time I had seen him.

date : January 1, 2006
author : dara
Ironman is all consuming and deciding to complete one can never be taken lightly. Triathlon is a lifestyle, so don’t rush the journey to your first Ironman; enjoy your new way of life.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.