General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where do you draw the line when feeling sick? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-13 7:40 PM

Subject: Where do you draw the line when feeling sick?
Where do you personally draw the line with running and work outs, when you're feeling sick? (flu like symptoms, etc)

Fever? Congestion? Sore throat?

I guess we should just do what our bodies feel comfortable doing, but don't want to be a wimp about it, either. Today, didn't feel well at all and didn't end up running.

Just curious as to how you go about it yourself.

2016-01-14 6:11 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Where do you draw the line when feeling sick?
I'm pretty conservative about it training-wise. I have asthma and pretty much any cold has strong potential to become bronchitis and scary bouts of wheezing and gasping for breath.

Mild cold symptoms: (Sore throat, stuffy nose)--At most do a short, easy workout (run or trainer, probably not a swim.) Only if I'm not feeling tired and draggy from just normal daily activity.
Anything else: Nothing. Go home and sleep

As for racing, well, if I've paid the entry fee, in the past I have raced if I think I can swim safely, but try to dial back the intensity, especially on the swim. I have done a HIM with a pretty bad case of the flu but I don't think it's an experience I really want to repeat.The swim and bike went okay but I was coughing so hard I was gagging and getting dry heaves on the run. Way too much work to get a finisher's medal and a T-shirt, but when you trained for it for months and it's one of only two A races.....sigh.
2016-01-14 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
If I think that my feeling sick will make the workout less enjoyable I will not do it. If I think it is worth a try I will do the workout, but may quit early if its just not there. This is supposed to be fun.
2016-01-14 3:34 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Don't feel like a wimp if you need the day off. I know people who go running when they're sick, but not me. The body needs to rest to get better, and I'd rather rest and get it over with than draw it out longer because of trying to squeeze half arsed workouts in. Take this morning for example, when I tried to grind through 4 miles and now I feel even worse than I did yesterday after being sick for almost a week!

2016-01-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Tough call.   First of  you should never feel like a wimp for skipping a workout if you're sick or otherwise too rundown.  Fact of the matter is, if you aren't getting something out of the workout because you're sick you will only exacerbate the situation.  As a general rule, for me, if I have a head cold or sore throat I'll go do my workout.  If I have flu like symptoms or a chest cold I curl up under the blanky.

Edited by Sous 2016-01-15 12:00 PM
2016-01-15 6:41 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Sous

Tough call.   First of  you should never feel like a wimp for skipping a workout if you're sick or otherwise too rundown.  Fact of the matter is, if you aren't getting something out of the workout because you're sick you will only exacerbate the situation.  As a general rule, for me, if I have a head cold or sore throat I'll go do my workout.  If I have flu like symptoms or a chest cold I curl up under the blanky.

This,
but damnnn, after a couple of days off I am losing my mind not training

2016-01-17 2:13 PM

Thank you all for your responses, here! Greatly appreciate it. Later, I'll come back to respond some more.

2016-01-17 5:55 PM

Originally posted by SGirl

Where do you personally draw the line with running and work outs, when you're feeling sick? (flu like symptoms, etc)

Fever? Congestion? Sore throat?

I guess we should just do what our bodies feel comfortable doing, but don't want to be a wimp about it, either. Today, didn't feel well at all and didn't end up running.

Just curious as to how you go about it yourself.
This is excellent, thank you so much!

Fever means that I need to rest, and honestly, a fever makes me feel so bad, I just don't have much in me to give to a workout session. Starve a fever feed a cold...wonder if there is truth to that, at all? lol
2016-01-17 5:56 PM
in reply to: trijamie

Originally posted by trijamie

Don't feel like a wimp if you need the day off. I know people who go running when they're sick, but not me. The body needs to rest to get better, and I'd rather rest and get it over with than draw it out longer because of trying to squeeze half arsed workouts in. Take this morning for example, when I tried to grind through 4 miles and now I feel even worse than I did yesterday after being sick for almost a week!

Thank you this is so true, and it's that feeling of guilt that comes over me, when I have to force a day off, and then I question if I'm weak lol Tis helps to read your words here.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where do you draw the line when feeling sick? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm sick....but feeling guilty about not training

Started by suzimmer
Views: 1334 Posts: 7

2008-05-14 6:26 PM suzimmer

How sick is too sick ?

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 1423 Posts: 24

2006-12-10 7:23 PM TimmyMay

Do you take airborne or similar product when you start feeling sick?

Started by tritwinmom
Views: 1170 Posts: 6

2006-09-27 8:52 PM AdventureBear

Swimming and feeling sick?

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 849 Posts: 9

2005-08-12 10:44 AM p4406

sick people unite!!

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1229 Posts: 11

2005-04-08 11:59 AM Tania
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?