Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-08-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: dlaude6

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Qualify for AG Nationals?

I haven't participated is USAT Nationals (despite qualifying for them in 2012) but I have swum in the last two years of US Masters Swimming Spring Nationals.  I can tell you that going to Nationals is an EVENT.  It is a lot of fun.  When people hear that you're competing at Nationals, it gets their attention.  It provides a very strong impetus to train and try to do your best.  It is an ACHIEVEMENT.

I do have some regret not going to USAT Nats when I had the chance.  Not wanting to face regret in 30 years is a significant reason that I did go to USMS Nats.  It was a fantastic experience and I am so very very glad that I went.  It has significantly enriched my life.

We're only on this earth but a short while.  Make the most of it.

2016-08-15 9:08 PM

Originally posted by dlaude6

Originally posted by reecealan

"... We don't foresee ourselves ever qualifying again"

Don't count yourselves out. You can still be "Leisurely" triathletes and get a little faster each year. Look at it this way, you can be MORE fit, not just fit. Anyhow congratulations on your finish!

Great points, thanks!

Noticed your from New Lenox. We just moved to Florida from Joliet. Have you ever done the Naperville Sprint Triathlon ? I did it the last two years and really enjoyed it even though it's a pretty crowded race.

Congrats on the accomplishment. I might need to check out that South Beach Tri LOL
2016-08-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

New Lenox, Illinois
Originally posted by Chitwnnole

Noticed your from New Lenox. We just moved to Florida from Joliet. Have you ever done the Naperville Sprint Triathlon ? I did it the last two years and really enjoyed it even though it's a pretty crowded race.

Congrats on the accomplishment. I might need to check out that South Beach Tri LOL

Yep, live in New Lenox! No, we haven't done the Naperville tri, we've had a conflict the last year or two. We hope to do it one of these years.

Thanks! haha, yep, we did the super sprint distance, definitely worth checking out! It's coming up again August 27th actually. We're doing the sprint this year. Last year we had to do the race and leave right away so we opted for the super sprint. This year we're just doing the sprint because that part of Lake Michigan can get wavy and we're not a fan of that haha.
2016-08-18 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
In all, good experience and we're glad we did it. We don't foresee ourselves ever qualifying again, so we're glad we did it. After the race we were both a bit deflated due to the realization of just how slow we are, but we tried our best to spin it as a motivator. We're more leisure triathletes though, we just do it to stay in shape, so we're not sure how fast we'll ever get. The race reminded me of that quote, something like "throw an average person in the mix for each Olympic event just to see how fast/good the Olympians are"...yeah, that's how we felt haha. We have a sprint distance at a little venue up in Michigan on the 27th of August, so hopefully that'll help us bounce back to enjoying races again.

You never know, you certainly may qualify again and the Sprint doesn't require a qualification to race the same venue... shorter for a shorter distance.

I thought I'd share that sort of "feeling" is somewhat universal after some races. I recently read an article that discuss "post race depression". For me I try and hit goals and the Olympic was my focus... I ran about 7 minutes over what I was planning to. I did well in the race still but was a bit deflated. As you said though, being in shape and enjoyment of the sport/people is what I'm really about. Had to remind myself of that...

Congrats to you and your wife!
2016-09-08 10:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Aledo, Texas

So, I'm hoping to qualify for nationals next year. But, I'm a bit confused - folks here keep referencing finishing in the top 10%ish of the AG. USAT website talks about having to qualify through a regional event or special event "if racing standard distance." 

I am assuming standard = olympic. I've heard that one can qualify for the oly at a sprint. What I've heard (and read here) seems to conflict with USAT's own information. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

EDIT - so, now I'm thinking that the only way to qualify at a regional is if I race standard. If that is correct, can I qualify at any sanctioned sprint event outside of regionals?

Thanks!

Edited by LundyLund 2016-09-08 10:23 AM
2016-09-08 11:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Yes

There's a number of different ways to qualify.  You can qualify at a race that is sanctioned, sprint or oly by finishing in the top 10% in your AG.  Or at special qualifiers or regional champs you can qualify by finishing top 33% in AG or top 5, which ever is greater. 

Pretty sure you can qualify at HIM and full but that's not really in my wheel house so someone else will have to chime in there.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-09-08 11:08 AM

2016-09-08 11:46 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

Originally posted by LundyLund

So, I'm hoping to qualify for nationals next year. But, I'm a bit confused - folks here keep referencing finishing in the top 10%ish of the AG. USAT website talks about having to qualify through a regional event or special event "if racing standard distance." 

I am assuming standard = olympic. I've heard that one can qualify for the oly at a sprint. What I've heard (and read here) seems to conflict with USAT's own information. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

EDIT - so, now I'm thinking that the only way to qualify at a regional is if I race standard. If that is correct, can I qualify at any sanctioned sprint event outside of regionals?

Thanks!

There are several ways to qualify, all of which are listed here:

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-triathlon/events/national-championships/2016-age-group-olympic-distance-national-championships/qualification

In simplist form though - you just have to participate in a triathlon of ANY DISTANCE that is recognized by USAT (if the tri requires a USAT membership to participate, odds are high that it's recognized) and finish in the top 10% of your age group.

The other two ways involve the more competitive regional championships or last year's national championship race which allow more than the top 10% since it's a more competitive field.

The important thing to note here is that they do NOT use your USAT score from the race to qualify you (the USAT score is normalized so you can judge your performance from race to race even if comparing a strong field race to weak field race.) They only use your race placement on the day of the race. So if you pick a small local race that has a super soft field, it can be pretty easy to qualify. In contrast, that same athlete trying to qualify at a big event like Vineman 70.3 may have to beat KQ-level athletes to qualify in the competitive age groups.  

So if you find a race that's small, local, and attracts a lot of first-timers, you may find it's not at all difficult to qualify if that's your goal.

2016-09-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by yazmaster

There are several ways to qualify, all of which are listed here:

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-triathlon/events/national-championships/2016-age-group-olympic-distance-national-championships/qualification

That is really helpful, thank you. Official results from my last race haven't been submitted yet, but based on unofficial, I think I qualified.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Qualify for AG Nationals? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

usat ag qualifying

Started by runrustyrun
Views: 1487 Posts: 16

2012-08-28 12:09 PM Anditrigirl

Qualifying for AG National Championships?

Started by BLT1115
Views: 1865 Posts: 15

2011-08-10 9:29 PM Experior

I qualified for AG nationals

Started by DirkP
Views: 1364 Posts: 12

2011-06-27 9:24 PM jpbis26

Qualifying for AG Nationals

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 1731 Posts: 18

2011-05-25 6:47 PM mjengstrom

Did I qualify for AG Nationals???

Started by xeon
Views: 1873 Posts: 15

2010-09-14 1:44 PM xeon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.