General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery of the early season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-17 3:00 AM

Subject: Recovery of the early season
Hey guys

I am hoping you can help me in my early season panic. I am due to compete in my first 70.3 in June (Staffordshire). I am currently in Base training, and things were going well up until New years Eve - I was getting in regular 1 hour runs and 90 minute turbo at low intensity and I felt great.

Unfortunately for the last 2 weeks I have had a cold and thought it was best to rest up to avoid prolonging it. Once my cold disappeared I developed sinusitis and again thought best to rest up until I fought the infection. I am now panicking that I have lost momentum and the whole season will be ruined (melodramatic I know)

Can anyone put my mind at ease and give me any advice. I still have a cough but am going to try and kick-start things today by doing a light core session.

Thanks guys!

2016-01-17 5:34 AM
in reply to: Cammckellar

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Recovery of the early season
I would not worry too much about losing fitness. Yes, you will probably have to dial back the duration and intensity a bit, and it may take you a few weeks to get back to where you were at the end of the year, but it's not a big deal. With your race five months out, the bigger danger is pushing yourself to train too hard before you are fully recovered, and then losing still more training time. If you still have a cough, I'd just rest, or at most do some light strength work. Wait until your symptoms are gone and energy levels back to normal before getting back to swim/bike/run. If you are taking care of yourself, that should probably happen within a week or less. If not, maybe see a doctor? Sometimes colds can make you vulnerable to bacterial infections which might require antibiotics or they just linger on and on.

Just be grateful this is five months before the HIM and not (as happened to me last year) three days before the race with full-blown flu and bronchitis.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery of the early season Rss Feed