BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2016-02-02 4:34 PM
in reply to: blakester

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN

Wow if you did a marathon just  two weeks ago, you definitely need to take two weeks off from everything!  Don't rush back into it.  I'd spend the  majority of your training on the bike and learning the swim. Building your long run back up. Also you need to be dialing in your nutrition strategy!! 

Who is your local bike shop and I can see if they carry Cobb saddles  
In Georgia I recommend the following shops: All 3 Sports,  Podium Multi-sport,  Quality Bike Shop, Cannon Cyclery, Apalachee cycle (new dealer). 

Answer these questions and I can help you start with the right saddle? 

What do you not like about your Fizik? 
What distances are you training for? 
Are your bars higher, even, or lower, or much lower than your seat height? 
Height and weight? 
We also recommend you do not ride in a thick chamois shorts, this can cause chafing and saddles sores because you can't control where those thick chamois goes.  We recommend you ride in a tri short with a thin fleece like chamois. You don't want a seam down the middle. Cobb does also make tri shorts and they work exceptionally well especially with all of our saddles.  The ladies and men shorts are different with the stitching so it doesn't bunch up in the wrong places.

(Note I didn't get on here to sell stuff but this stuff does work and Cobb Cycling has over 40 years of research put into products).   

Originally posted by blakester I was planning a swim, bike and run for the weekend. I did the swim and bike. Didn't get to the run. Running motivation has tanked since the marathon a couple weeks ago, and the addition of bike and swim training is taking me a bit to get adapted to. I did 45" indoors on the bike, felt good, still sorting through the saddle selection process. I don't think the fizik saddles are working for me. Gonna see if the LBS has a Cobb demo I can try. The swim on Friday was another exercise in frustration. I spent the weekend researching and bought the Total Immersion book on Sunday. Got a couple of the videos in the mail today. I like the method. Spent an hour in the pool today working on the first couple of drills. It was a much more relaxing and rewarding experience. Plan to hit the pool again tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. Also have 2 bike and 2 run workouts planned for the week. Right now the thing that weighs most heavily on my mind is that I have to be able to swim 1.2 miles in open water on May 22. I know I'm underestimating the bike portion right now, but I'm trusting my training plan to have me ready.

2016-02-02 4:50 PM
in reply to: triritter

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip:   Elite athletes are super confident people and can be perceived as borderline cocky. I'm not saying you have to go around acting cocky and bragging about the paces you hit. The main point here is you might not be the best swimmer or runner but when you get the pool or head out for a run, before you start, repeat to yourself "you are a great swimmer, you are a great runner". " Fake it until you make it" does have some merit in sport. In the moment, this creates confidence and confidence leads to better performance. So keep faking it out there, so you make it!

2016-02-02 6:26 PM

Thanks for welcoming me to the group. I want to use weights to stay strong and balanced so I do not get injured. What I mean by functional is preparing me for the races but also allowing me to do other physical things without the risk of injury. When I was training for marathons all I did was run. I gave up all my strength to get as lean as I could and by not crossing training or using weights I was injury prone. I was thinking of compound exercises like dead-lifts, squats, pull-ups, push-ups, something for hamstrings and shoulders and core. I've been starting to run and signed up for a 10 mile road and 10 mile trail run in April. I was thinking of my "A" race at the end of July, the Cleveland Triatholon and another Olympic in August then maybe the Akron marathon in September. I haven't swam since last summer but I was going to start next week. I really want to really follow a program and not rely on my cardio from running to get through the swim portion. I am most worried about the bike. I purchased a used road bike and need to condition myself to longer rides. I would ride often but typically not more than 10-15 miles. I am trying to find a training program to help me schedule my workouts. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.
2016-02-02 10:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by triritter

Wow if you did a marathon just  two weeks ago, you definitely need to take two weeks off from everything!  Don't rush back into it.  I'd spend the  majority of your training on the bike and learning the swim. Building your long run back up. Also you need to be dialing in your nutrition strategy!! 

In Georgia I recommend the following shops: All 3 Sports,  Podium Multi-sport,  Quality Bike Shop, Cannon Cyclery, Apalachee cycle (new dealer). 

Height and weight? 
We also recommend you do not ride in a thick chamois shorts, this can cause chafing and saddles sores because you can't control where those thick chamois goes.  We recommend you ride in a tri short with a thin fleece like chamois. You don't want a seam down the middle. Cobb does also make tri shorts and they work exceptionally well especially with all of our saddles.  The ladies and men shorts are different with the stitching so it doesn't bunch up in the wrong places.

(Note I didn't get on here to sell stuff but this stuff does work and Cobb Cycling has over 40 years of research put into products).   

Local bike shop is Chain Reaction Bicycles in Evans, GA is the local bike shop I'm using.

What I don't like about the Fizik saddles - seem a bit too firm, relief channel not providing enough relief, still experiencing numbness. I put the San Marco Ponza back on the bike and it actually felt a little better even though it doesn't have a relief channel, still experienced some numbness though. I did ride in some "thinner" padded shorts. I think it was a move in the right direction.

Training distances - working towards a HIM in May and an IM in November.

Top of bars are 2" lower than top of seat.

6'0" tall, 165 lbs

When you say "dialing in my nutrition strategy", what exactly do you mean? What it is going to look like over the next several months, what it is going to look like for the races...

Blake

Edited by blakester 2016-02-02 10:34 PM
2016-02-03 9:33 AM

User image

, Texas
Agreed! Great Pro Tip.
2016-02-03 11:29 AM
in reply to: blakester

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by blakester

Height and weight? 

Local bike shop is Chain Reaction Bicycles in Evans, GA is the local bike shop I'm using. What I don't like about the Fizik saddles - seem a bit too firm, relief channel not providing enough relief, still experiencing numbness. I put the San Marco Ponza back on the bike and it actually felt a little better even though it doesn't have a relief channel, still experienced some numbness though. I did ride in some "thinner" padded shorts. I think it was a move in the right direction. Training distances - working towards a HIM in May and an IM in November. Top of bars are 2" lower than top of seat. 6'0" tall, 165 lbs When you say "dialing in my nutrition strategy", what exactly do you mean? What it is going to look like over the next several months, what it is going to look like for the races... Blake

Hey we do selll to Chain Reactions too, but I doubt they have anything in stock. You can always request for them to get the demo version in. I reccommend you try the Cobb Cycling Randee saddle to start with.  

You want to start practicing with what you plan to race with. (sports drink, food bars, gels, salt tablets). I personally have been training with Infinit Nutrition and Gatorade Endurance. + a small amount of powerbar gels and salt tabs (endurolytes).  

2016-02-03 11:30 AM
in reply to: sportsmom

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by sportsmom Agreed! Great Pro Tip.

Awesome, Thank you! 

2016-02-03 5:03 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: Do your strength training!! Strength training especially among the posterior like squats, lat pull-downs, etc. are really good for runners/tri as we are mostly quad dominate and have a weak posterior. Another note, squats are actually the best core training you can do as research says this gets the most core activation. The "core" technically runs from the bottom of the rib cage to the bottom of the hips. Also squats and the like are the best for these sports that require power like running and cycling. We want actual power transfer. You'll notice my strength training workouts are not super fancy, it just gets the work done.

2016-02-04 12:40 PM

User image

, Texas
Hi I'm Camille!

I race and train generally in the Central Texas area. I am married with two boys (10/12) and our whole family is active with sports, educational projects, boards & commission service.

I've done a few sprint tri's (open & pool), 50-100 mile charity rides, half marathons and I will be racing my first marathon next week 2/14/16!

My next "endurance project" per se is the MS150 from Houston - Austin mid April.

Once I get the Austin Marathon and MS150 out the way I will have a good base (mentally & physically) to move up to Olympic & Half Iron races the latter part of the year.

My swim can be improved - both mechanics and speed. I've hired a swim coach and even done a few vasa training sessions and in the pool videos to get a good plan to improve.

I will get back to training "tri" training in Mar. I play on using my off days to swim as part of cross straining and to slowly start to build my endurance back.

I wil rethinking to rejoin masters swim but I last hurt my shoulder from oversue late last summer or from going to hard with bad form. So I will likely wait a while to see how the shoulder responds before I jump back in.

I am no sure what else to say or share.

Questions???

2016-02-04 4:40 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by sportsmom Hi I'm Camille! I race and train generally in the Central Texas area. I am married with two boys (10/12) and our whole family is active with sports, educational projects, boards & commission service. I've done a few sprint tri's (open & pool), 50-100 mile charity rides, half marathons and I will be racing my first marathon next week 2/14/16! My next "endurance project" per se is the MS150 from Houston - Austin mid April. Once I get the Austin Marathon and MS150 out the way I will have a good base (mentally & physically) to move up to Olympic & Half Iron races the latter part of the year. My swim can be improved - both mechanics and speed. I've hired a swim coach and even done a few vasa training sessions and in the pool videos to get a good plan to improve. I will get back to training "tri" training in Mar. I play on using my off days to swim as part of cross straining and to slowly start to build my endurance back. I wil rethinking to rejoin masters swim but I last hurt my shoulder from oversue late last summer or from going to hard with bad form. So I will likely wait a while to see how the shoulder responds before I jump back in. I am no sure what else to say or share. Questions???

Great stuff Camille! Welcome to the group and good luck at the Austin Marathon. I'm just a few hours north of you in Tyler. I love going to Austin such a fun and active town. Sounds like you have a full plate with everything you have going on.  

Yeah, swimming you gotta just take it just step or stroke at a time especially if you're just learning.  Coming into the fall last year I had two months off due to our son being born so coming back into the sport I was in no hurry to get back so all I did was refine my technique and still doing it somewhat, I came out swimming a little faster especially when I started to add some fitness back.  

2016-02-04 4:42 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: We as humans are negative thinking by nature. We always have to be conscious of our thoughts. How we think is how our body reacts!

2016-02-04 5:51 PM

User image

, Texas
Thank you.

I noticed the same thing. Swimming this past Nov/Dec for run recovery just focusing drills - noticed that my endurance/swim fitness seemed to show up exactly on time with out much more effort.

I've been going hard since summer with timed breaks but I think I will take 2-3 weeks of complete down time after MS 150.

I cycled all summer and did a hot century end of Sept. Couple that with a month overlap of Marathon training that started last Aug.

Been running running running since then and after my week or so break hitting MS150 to catch up with my team.

My 2016 goal is no early commitments, cut down on races, and no overlapping of completely different sports. If I commit then I train or feel obligated to complete.

So far I've held my word and focus and limit the number of people that train with me or ask for my help.

Rest....that is what I would like to ask.

What is the appropriate amount of time for a break after MS150 if you had my kind of schedule?
2016-02-05 12:42 PM

I do have a few questions. Let's say you are planning a big race end of the summer like 1/2 IM. Before that race you have an opportunity to do a half/full marathon, and 2-3 sprint vs olympic tri's. What kind of training plan should you use if you don't have a coach? Let's say the big race is 20 weeks away. Do you use a 20 week 1/2 IM plan and try to make your shorter races on non-taper weeks? What if the race is 6-7 months out. Not sure how to go about that as I don't have the luxury of hiring a coach right now.
2016-02-05 4:01 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by sportsmom Thank you. I noticed the same thing. Swimming this past Nov/Dec for run recovery just focusing drills - noticed that my endurance/swim fitness seemed to show up exactly on time with out much more effort. I've been going hard since summer with timed breaks but I think I will take 2-3 weeks of complete down time after MS 150. I cycled all summer and did a hot century end of Sept. Couple that with a month overlap of Marathon training that started last Aug. Been running running running since then and after my week or so break hitting MS150 to catch up with my team. My 2016 goal is no early commitments, cut down on races, and no overlapping of completely different sports. If I commit then I train or feel obligated to complete. So far I've held my word and focus and limit the number of people that train with me or ask for my help. Rest....that is what I would like to ask. What is the appropriate amount of time for a break after MS150 if you had my kind of schedule?

If you have been going strong since the summer with no real breaks, I'd take a week off completely, maybe two weeks. The next 1-3 weeks would be simply choice, at recovery effort 30 minute sessions. 

There's nothing wrong with over lapping events and they can possibly help, just realize you won't be at your best and keep your main goal insight. For example in 2014 I did a couple of road cycling stage races.  Now I simply don't have time for everything so I've limited to mainly local run races and triathlons and half ironman distance.   Since your around in Texas, like me there are plenty of bigger fall events to target.  

2016-02-05 4:04 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by sportsmom Thank you. I noticed the same thing. Swimming this past Nov/Dec for run recovery just focusing drills - noticed that my endurance/swim fitness seemed to show up exactly on time with out much more effort. I've been going hard since summer with timed breaks but I think I will take 2-3 weeks of complete down time after MS 150. I cycled all summer and did a hot century end of Sept. Couple that with a month overlap of Marathon training that started last Aug. Been running running running since then and after my week or so break hitting MS150 to catch up with my team. My 2016 goal is no early commitments, cut down on races, and no overlapping of completely different sports. If I commit then I train or feel obligated to complete. So far I've held my word and focus and limit the number of people that train with me or ask for my help. Rest....that is what I would like to ask. What is the appropriate amount of time for a break after MS150 if you had my kind of schedule?

If you have been going strong since the summer with no real breaks, I'd take a week off completely, maybe two weeks. The next 1-3 weeks would be simply choice, at recovery effort 30 minute sessions. 

There's nothing wrong with over lapping events and they can possibly help, just realize you won't be at your best and keep your main goal insight. For example in 2014 I did a couple of road cycling stage races.  Now I simply don't have time for everything so I've limited to mainly local run races and triathlons and half ironman distance.   Since your around in Texas, like me there are plenty of bigger fall events to target.  

Oh and after your  marathon, I'd take off completely from running for 2-3 weeks, just easy  spins and swims for a couple of weeks after your marathon. Nothing strenuous. Let your body recover, get some extra sleep and massage and don't feel guilty about that, get in some yoga if   you can. ( I take stretch breaks at work and need to get better about them).   

2016-02-05 4:22 PM
in reply to: mbaxter0245

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by mbaxter0245 I do have a few questions. Let's say you are planning a big race end of the summer like 1/2 IM. Before that race you have an opportunity to do a half/full marathon, and 2-3 sprint vs olympic tri's. What kind of training plan should you use if you don't have a coach? Let's say the big race is 20 weeks away. Do you use a 20 week 1/2 IM plan and try to make your shorter races on non-taper weeks? What if the race is 6-7 months out. Not sure how to go about that as I don't have the luxury of hiring a coach right now.

Great question, tough question. I'll answer honestly. 

You sound like you  need a coach or a mentor who's not afraid to set you straight on a good path. 

The 70.3 is the main goal, so the marathon is out. All it's going to do is trash your legs and make you take more recovery time and you don't have to run a marathon to run well off the bike.  I'd say all the other races seem ok and would probably help. 

As far as a training plan vs coaching, a training plan is set and you'll have to think for yourself how to adjust if something comes up with work, family, or you get sick or injured. With a coach providing a plan, per se can help you adjust "on the fly" as needed and can cut to chase and help you make those decisions. Also a  coach provides extra knowledge and support. He can dial you back or turn it on when you need to (varying intensity levels). Since you would be considered a distant athlete you would have to be more proactive about sending in video, if I was your coach. 

Depending on when you're races are you have a few options. You can train right through it. You can take a full week of cutting volume (don't cut intensity so much), or a 1/2 week before and following, a bit easier for recovery, etc. You can do anywhere from a 1-3 week training block depending on how you recovery, with micro stuff inside that such as 2-1, 3-2, 3-1, 1-1 or a mix ec. 

If you go with a training plan you'll need be flexible and know how to make adjustments, be smart and listen to your body, which I know personally is easier said than done.  I am planning to extend you guys an offer later but feel free to talk to me about  it if you were interested in coaching, I'm reasonable, flexible, and professional.  Click on my links for more back ground info or you can consult with coaches near you.  

I hope this helped answer some questions.  

2016-02-05 4:28 PM

User image

Tyler,

I don't have a pro tip today but check this blog out I'll be releasing every Friday/Saturday, I think it was a 4 or 5 part series.  

http://flytriracing.blogspot.com/2016/02/how-to-pr-by-run-technique-series-ii.html

2016-02-05 4:35 PM

User image

Tyler,

Have a great weekend! Hope to hear from you all by Monday to see how your training went. 

I'm finishing out a recovery week but doing a 10k in Longview tomorrow followed by a bike rally maybe 100k. Temperatures in 30-40's with rain in the forecast.  

2016-02-06 11:00 PM

Hello Tri Ritter

I would like to join your group please. I am a 43 year old fella that decided back in Sept to get in shape and complete my first IM 70.3 which will be in Chattanooga this year. I have hired a coach to "coach" me but its more like they just plan my workouts and not much else. I have progressed well in all but 1 of the 3. The swim is killing me and I am not a good swimmer at all. Other than that I have dropped 35 lbs and about 18% body fat. Runs are great and so is my time on the bike. Any help would be great.

Events this year

4/30-Cap City Half Marathon
5/22-Chatt IM 70.3
10/?-Hilton Head IM 70.3

I also plan on running a 50k or a 50 miler this summer just unsure which one.

Best

Old Dawg.
2016-02-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: Nwhite1024

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by Nwhite1024 Hello Tri Ritter I would like to join your group please. I am a 43 year old fella that decided back in Sept to get in shape and complete my first IM 70.3 which will be in Chattanooga this year. I have hired a coach to "coach" me but its more like they just plan my workouts and not much else. I have progressed well in all but 1 of the 3. The swim is killing me and I am not a good swimmer at all. Other than that I have dropped 35 lbs and about 18% body fat. Runs are great and so is my time on the bike. Any help would be great. Events this year 4/30-Cap City Half Marathon 5/22-Chatt IM 70.3 10/?-Hilton Head IM 70.3 I also plan on running a 50k or a 50 miler this summer just unsure which one. Best Old Dawg.

Hey Old Dawg,  welcome to the group! Glad to have you here. You got some big goals going straight to the 70.3 from getting back in shape since just September. I know all about how the hard the swim is as I've been working on it for 8 years. I wish I had started with similar ways I start with my athletes who need to work on their swim - which is most. Most people can only focus on one or two technique changes and work to transfer it over to your swim stroke.  I hope your coach is providing more interaction than a plan. Is he working virtually as your coach? If so, some coaches don't reach out unless you reach out to them first which I disagree with. 

The 50 miler in the summer should allow for plenty of recovery time and allow for some training time before your late season half iron. But I recommend just focusing on these two 70.3's as all of your races seem like a relatively big deal. 

Thanks for joining,

William 

2016-02-07 9:17 AM

User image

Tyler,

How did your training go this weekend?  I did a low key 10k called Freeze your Fanny in Longview with 40 degrees and some light rain. It was a hilly course and finished 2nd overall in 36:14. Me and Tomas were going back and forth, I put a surge in on him just after halfway and he came back on me and opened a gap I couldn't close back up. Now were 2 (me) - 1 (him). It was a recovery week for me so I hardly ran all week and focused on trying to get more sleep as my baby boy has been recently sick and I had to wake up frequently in the middle of the night. By the end of last week I was whooped.  

2016-02-11 9:07 AM

Hello all

I'm Christo, I'm 44 years old, I live in Brooklyn NY with my amazing wife(she's a one person support team) and our 2 Boston terriers.

My journey into the world of Triathlons started around 5 years ago. Overweight, smoker, lazy, depressed.

Started riding my old rusty bike the 5 miles to and from work, over the next year I had lost 30lbs, stopped smoking, went back to a meat free diet (which I had done through my teens, twenties and most of my thirties) and felt pretty good for 40 years old. But I wanted more. I got a new bike, started riding longer distances (doing multiple century rides per year) , going to the gym regularly and even started running a little. Then I got bitten by the running bug. 5k's, 10k's, half marathons. Then the next step came which was going to be for my wife and I to run our first marathon, but the thought of doing all my training towards one one activity didn't sit well with me so I signed up for an Olympic distance triathlon. It was going to be the first Brooklyn Triathlon. First thing I needed to do was learn to actually swim. I could keep myself from drowning, but had never actually swam with any purpose. I followed a 16 week training program and it was amazing to feel myself getting better/stronger. Then 1 week before race day, the Triathlon was cancelled(logistics with the City of New York, NYPD, etc) I was absolutely heartbroken. But I signed back up for the same race the next year. I continued swimming, biking and running on my own. I bought a second bike that was better suited for road racing/Triathlons. Then when it came time to start training again for the Triathlon, I was confident. I had gone through the training process once, and was ready to take it to another level this time. That year I participated in the indoor Triathlon series and made it to the Championship race (finished 9th out of 110) Then training started 16 weeks out and I was feeling great. I made it through a severely sprained ankle injury and was ready to finally run a real triathlon. Then low and behold, history repeated itself and the Triathlon was cancelled AGAIN! I was completely numb. I tried to do all the distances on my own at the last minute, but the whole thing fell apart and I didn't do it. At this point I had committed 2 years of my life to training for something that I hadn't been able to attain. I was on the fence and was going to give up. But my wife's support pushed me to continue. So I signed up for a DIFFERENT triathlon the next year (The group sponsoring the Brooklyn Tri said they wouldn't try again) It was the 10th anniversary of the Garden State Triathlon. I went through another year of Indoor Triathlon series events, 16 weeks of training and then I did it! I crossed the finish line of my first Triathlon and it was AMAZING. That was in July of 2015.

This year I'm doing the half Ironman Syracuse, NY in June, was picked for the NYC Triathlon in July and am waiting to hear if I was selected for the NYC Marathon. I've got multiple 5k's, The 5Boro Bike Tour, 10k in Tel Aviv Israel, and a 6 day a week 2 a day training schedule.

That's my story in a nutshell

2016-02-11 3:00 PM
in reply to: kriztufer

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by kriztufer Hello all I'm Christo, I'm 44 years old, I live in Brooklyn NY with my amazing wife(she's a one person support team) and our 2 Boston terriers. My journey into the world of Triathlons started around 5 years ago. Overweight, smoker, lazy, depressed. Started riding my old rusty bike the 5 miles to and from work, over the next year I had lost 30lbs, stopped smoking, went back to a meat free diet (which I had done through my teens, twenties and most of my thirties) and felt pretty good for 40 years old. But I wanted more. I got a new bike, started riding longer distances (doing multiple century rides per year) , going to the gym regularly and even started running a little. Then I got bitten by the running bug. 5k's, 10k's, half marathons. Then the next step came which was going to be for my wife and I to run our first marathon, but the thought of doing all my training towards one one activity didn't sit well with me so I signed up for an Olympic distance triathlon. It was going to be the first Brooklyn Triathlon. First thing I needed to do was learn to actually swim. I could keep myself from drowning, but had never actually swam with any purpose. I followed a 16 week training program and it was amazing to feel myself getting better/stronger. Then 1 week before race day, the Triathlon was cancelled(logistics with the City of New York, NYPD, etc) I was absolutely heartbroken. But I signed back up for the same race the next year. I continued swimming, biking and running on my own. I bought a second bike that was better suited for road racing/Triathlons. Then when it came time to start training again for the Triathlon, I was confident. I had gone through the training process once, and was ready to take it to another level this time. That year I participated in the indoor Triathlon series and made it to the Championship race (finished 9th out of 110) Then training started 16 weeks out and I was feeling great. I made it through a severely sprained ankle injury and was ready to finally run a real triathlon. Then low and behold, history repeated itself and the Triathlon was cancelled AGAIN! I was completely numb. I tried to do all the distances on my own at the last minute, but the whole thing fell apart and I didn't do it. At this point I had committed 2 years of my life to training for something that I hadn't been able to attain. I was on the fence and was going to give up. But my wife's support pushed me to continue. So I signed up for a DIFFERENT triathlon the next year (The group sponsoring the Brooklyn Tri said they wouldn't try again) It was the 10th anniversary of the Garden State Triathlon. I went through another year of Indoor Triathlon series events, 16 weeks of training and then I did it! I crossed the finish line of my first Triathlon and it was AMAZING. That was in July of 2015. This year I'm doing the half Ironman Syracuse, NY in June, was picked for the NYC Triathlon in July and am waiting to hear if I was selected for the NYC Marathon. I've got multiple 5k's, The 5Boro Bike Tour, 10k in Tel Aviv Israel, and a 6 day a week 2 a day training schedule. That's my story in a nutshell

Hey Christo! Welcome to the group from New York to Texas down here. Even though you did your first tri last year we were already experienced of two years training for one.  I know logistics can be tough putting on a triathlon in the bigger cities.  It also sounds like you are highly motivated with some big races coming up!  What brought  you on to this group? Any questions I can help out with? I look forward to hearing from you!! 

2016-02-12 8:12 AM

Hey Christo! Welcome to the group from New York to Texas down here. Even though you did your first tri last year we were already experienced of two years training for one.  I know logistics can be tough putting on a triathlon in the bigger cities.  It also sounds like you are highly motivated with some big races coming up!  What brought  you on to this group? Any questions I can help out with? I look forward to hearing from you!! 

I guess what brought me here is an outlet. Between work, training and family, my schedule is very regimented with very little flexibility. I train alone, I'm not in any clubs or groups, I'm self coached and none of my friends, or co-workers participate in Triathlons. With my first half Ironman on the horizon, I wanted to have a place to ask questions, get advice and feel inspired.

I'm currently in the process of getting a new bike. It will be my first "real" tri bike. I've got a 6-8 thousand dollar budget. Any recommendations??
2016-02-12 4:15 PM
in reply to: kriztufer

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by kriztufer

I guess what brought me here is an outlet. Between work, training and family, my schedule is very regimented with very little flexibility. I train alone, I'm not in any clubs or groups, I'm self coached and none of my friends, or co-workers participate in Triathlons. With my first half Ironman on the horizon, I wanted to have a place to ask questions, get advice and feel inspired. I'm currently in the process of getting a new bike. It will be my first "real" tri bike. I've got a 6-8 thousand dollar budget. Any recommendations??

That will get you a very nice bike!!!  I would recommend you find an independent fitter that does fittings on a "fit bike" to determine which frame will fit you the best. This will narrow down your choices for the best bike for you. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.