BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2016-02-12 4:18 PM
in reply to: triritter

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN

How did everyone's training go this week and what do you have planned for this week? 

I had an FTP test earlier this week to target my watts for half iron training. The protocol was 5 min max at 344 watts then 10 min easy followed by 20 min TT effort and I held 291.  To get FTP it's 291 - 5% = 276 FTP. I'll focus in on holding 240-250 watts for 70.3 training and racing. 

This weekend I was going to ride 4 hours but I have to cut training shorter this weekend so I'll get 2.5 hours in with some 20 min 70.3 efforts and 4x1 mile off the bike @ 6:15 pace.   

2016-02-15 10:26 AM

Originally posted by triritter

How did everyone's training go this week and what do you have planned for this week? 

I had an FTP test earlier this week to target my watts for half iron training. The protocol was 5 min max at 344 watts then 10 min easy followed by 20 min TT effort and I held 291.  To get FTP it's 291 - 5% = 276 FTP. I'll focus in on holding 240-250 watts for 70.3 training and racing. 

This weekend I was going to ride 4 hours but I have to cut training shorter this weekend so I'll get 2.5 hours in with some 20 min 70.3 efforts and 4x1 mile off the bike @ 6:15 pace.   

My workout schedule is consistent.

Monday: REST
Tuesday: Strength Train/Bike
Wednesday: Swim/Run
Thursday: Strength Train/Bike
Friday: Swim/Run
Saturday: Long Bike/Brick
Sunday: Long Swim/Run

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this bike

DOLAN SCALA TT/TRIATHLON CARBON BIKE - SHIMANO DURA-ACE DI2
Frame Colour: Stealth Black
Frame Size: Scala Frame Medium
Fork: Dolan Scala Carbon TT Fork - (Matt Black)
Seatpost: Dolan Scala Seatpost - (Matt Black)
Headset: Alpina 45x45 Headset
Top Cap: Carbon Scala Top Cap - (Matt Black)
Brake Calipers Front: TRP Integrated Brake Caliper (Front)
Brake Calipers Rear: TRP Integrated Brake Caliper (Rear)
Seatpost Clamp: Scala Seat Clamp Expander
Groupset Brand: Shimano Di2
Groupset Type: Dura-Ace Di2
Chainset / Crankset: Dura-Ace FC-9000 172.5 53-39 Chainset
Cassette: Dura-Ace/Dura-Ace Di2 CS-9000 Hyperglide 11-speed Cassette
Dura-Ace/Dura-Ace Di2 CS-9000 Hyperglide 11-speed Cassette Sprocket 11-28T
Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 ST-9071 Levers/Shifters
Front Derailleur: Dura-Ace FD-9000 Front Derailleur
Rear Derailleur: Dura-Ace RD-9000 Rear Derailleur
Bar End Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 SW-9071 Shifter
Chain: Shimano CN-9000 11-Speed Chain
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB86
Handlebars: Alpina Carbon TT V2
Handlebar Tape: Night Black
Headset Spacer: Alpina 1/8" 3-10mm Carbon
Stem SizeDeda Zero 100 Performance Black, 8cm, Black 1 1/8" ...
Stem Size: Deda Zero 100 Performance Black, 8cm, Black 1 1/8" with 6deg rise
Pedal: Shimano Dura Ace PD-9000 Carbon Pedals
Saddle: ISM TT Saddle - Black
Wheels: Mavic Cosmic CXR 60C Clincher
Tires: Continental Gatorskin Clincher 700x23c - Black - £39.99
Inner Tubes: Vittoria Ultralite Inner Tube 700 18-23c
Expander: DE05K Fork Expander - 23.6x46mm

Assembled, tuned and delivered for under $6k

2016-02-17 1:46 PM
in reply to: kriztufer

User image

Tyler,

Hey Camille aka sportsmom, didn't  you do the Austin Marathon last week?  How did it go?  

2016-02-17 1:47 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by kriztufer

My workout schedule is consistent. Monday: REST Tuesday: Strength Train/Bike Wednesday: Swim/Run Thursday: Strength Train/Bike Friday: Swim/Run Saturday: Long Bike/Brick Sunday: Long Swim/Run I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this bike DOLAN SCALA TT/TRIATHLON CARBON BIKE - SHIMANO DURA-ACE DI2 Frame Colour: Stealth Black Frame Size: Scala Frame Medium Fork: Dolan Scala Carbon TT Fork - (Matt Black) Seatpost: Dolan Scala Seatpost - (Matt Black) Headset: Alpina 45x45 Headset Top Cap: Carbon Scala Top Cap - (Matt Black) Brake Calipers Front: TRP Integrated Brake Caliper (Front) Brake Calipers Rear: TRP Integrated Brake Caliper (Rear) Seatpost Clamp: Scala Seat Clamp Expander Groupset Brand: Shimano Di2 Groupset Type: Dura-Ace Di2 Chainset / Crankset: Dura-Ace FC-9000 172.5 53-39 Chainset Cassette: Dura-Ace/Dura-Ace Di2 CS-9000 Hyperglide 11-speed Cassette Dura-Ace/Dura-Ace Di2 CS-9000 Hyperglide 11-speed Cassette Sprocket 11-28T Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 ST-9071 Levers/Shifters Front Derailleur: Dura-Ace FD-9000 Front Derailleur Rear Derailleur: Dura-Ace RD-9000 Rear Derailleur Bar End Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 SW-9071 Shifter Chain: Shimano CN-9000 11-Speed Chain Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB86 Handlebars: Alpina Carbon TT V2 Handlebar Tape: Night Black Headset Spacer: Alpina 1/8" 3-10mm Carbon Stem SizeDeda Zero 100 Performance Black, 8cm, Black 1 1/8" ... Stem Size: Deda Zero 100 Performance Black, 8cm, Black 1 1/8" with 6deg rise Pedal: Shimano Dura Ace PD-9000 Carbon Pedals Saddle: ISM TT Saddle - Black Wheels: Mavic Cosmic CXR 60C Clincher Tires: Continental Gatorskin Clincher 700x23c - Black - £39.99 Inner Tubes: Vittoria Ultralite Inner Tube 700 18-23c Expander: DE05K Fork Expander - 23.6x46mm Assembled, tuned and delivered for under $6k

That's super nice, except one of the components I would replace for something more comfortable to reduce chafing issues.   I would be sure it's the right geometry for you.  

2016-02-17 1:49 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: I've been slacking on these and also deleted my file I had built up.

Our attention spans are very short, most people can only truly focus 8-15" seconds at a time. Break your training run into sections such as in the swim focus on the next 10 strokes, the bike the next 20 revolutions, or the run focus on getting from mailbox to mailbox.

2016-02-17 2:13 PM

That's super nice, except one of the components I would replace for something more comfortable to reduce chafing issues.   I would be sure it's the right geometry for you.  

The saddle??

2016-02-17 2:32 PM

User image

Tyler,

The saddle??

For sure comfort=speed 

2016-02-17 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5162613

I've been riding ISM saddles on my road and commuter bike for years. I could never ride anything else
2016-02-18 4:48 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by kriztufer I've been riding ISM saddles on my road and commuter bike for years. I could never ride anything else

You would really love the Fifty Five then. John Cobb designed the original ISM in 2004 and they haven't changed much.  

2016-02-19 12:28 PM

Originally posted by kriztufer I've been riding ISM saddles on my road and commuter bike for years. I could never ride anything else

You would really love the Fifty Five then. John Cobb designed the original ISM in 2004 and they haven't changed much.  

Very nice looking. Narrower on the nose. I'll have to check one out

2016-02-19 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

My workout schedule is consistent.

Monday: REST
Tuesday: Strength Train/Bike
Wednesday: Swim/Run
Thursday: Strength Train/Bike
Friday: Swim/Run
Saturday: Long Bike/Brick
Sunday: Long Swim/Run

I wanted to follow up with my training schedule

The plan is 20 weeks long. It begins with an 8-week base phase, followed by a 6-week build phase and a 6-week peak phase. Odd-numbered training weeks include 3 swims, 3 rides, and 3 runs. Weeks 2, 6 and so forth include 3 swims, 2 rides, 3 runs, and a bike-run brick workout. Weeks 4, 8 and so forth include 3 swims, 3 rides, 2 runs, and a bike-run brick. Every fourth week is a recovery week. Tune-up triathlons are scheduled in Week 12 (sprint) and Week 16 (Olympic distance). The final 10 days constitute a tapering period. The plan begins with 4,300 yards of swimming, 3 hours and 5 minutes of cycling, and 1 hour and 55 minutes of running in Week 1. It peaks with 6,700 yards of swimming, 5 hours and 55 minutes of cycling, and 3 hours and 19 minutes of running in Week 17.

Edited by kriztufer 2016-02-19 2:08 PM

2016-02-19 3:27 PM

User image

Tyler,

My workout schedule is consistent. Monday: REST Tuesday: Strength Train/Bike Wednesday: Swim/Run Thursday: Strength Train/Bike Friday: Swim/Run Saturday: Long Bike/Brick Sunday: Long Swim/Run
I wanted to follow up with my training schedule The plan is 20 weeks long. It begins with an 8-week base phase, followed by a 6-week build phase and a 6-week peak phase. Odd-numbered training weeks include 3 swims, 3 rides, and 3 runs. Weeks 2, 6 and so forth include 3 swims, 2 rides, 3 runs, and a bike-run brick workout. Weeks 4, 8 and so forth include 3 swims, 3 rides, 2 runs, and a bike-run brick. Every fourth week is a recovery week. Tune-up triathlons are scheduled in Week 12 (sprint) and Week 16 (Olympic distance). The final 10 days constitute a tapering period. The plan begins with 4,300 yards of swimming, 3 hours and 5 minutes of cycling, and 1 hour and 55 minutes of running in Week 1. It peaks with 6,700 yards of swimming, 5 hours and 55 minutes of cycling, and 3 hours and 19 minutes of running in Week 17.

Looks solid! Btw someone I know from my community here is doing Syracuse 70.3. She was ran over by a Tahoe almost a couple of years ago and has been making a strong recovery considering everything she's been through.  She's originally from New York.    

2016-02-19 3:28 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: I know some of you have a hard time getting up in the mornings or you procrastinate. It's important to have some consistent morning rourtine. So here are some helpful tips and information. I even do some of this. It takes about 6-8 weeks to make a habit. Here is how your morning routine should be.

Step 1: Welcome to the 5am or 6am club. Set a consistent time you get up every morning. Set your alarm clock on your phone to a song that gets you moving and excited. I personally take melatonin at night and will be trying out Infinit Nutrition Nocturn recovery blend.

Step 2: Take a cold shower, if you're alarm clock didn't wake you up a cold shower definitely will.

Step 3: Self Affirmation! Splash some some old fashioned tap water on yourself and tell yourself how great you are and that you're a champion. Today is going to be a great day and you're going to nail your training. Pin some motivation self affirmation on you bathroom mirror, only if the wife approves. Keep your goals in front of you so you have to see them when you go to bed and when you get up. (Checking your missed text/calls/social media first thing and before your morning training session is usually a bad idea, I'm guilty here).

Step 4: Start your training session (prefuel with banana, etc).

Step 5: Prayer, Devotional, Meditation ( I do this a few minutes before I start work each day) .

Step 6: Create your to do list and schedule for the following day (at the end of the day).

2016-02-19 3:32 PM

User image

Tyler,

What's everyone doing for training this weekend?

I'm trying to a little more volume in this month in the plans to have a great race at Galveston. Today is my birthday too so lots of cake today.  

This morning I did 3000 yard swim set as 300 wu, 200  kick (25 easy/25 fast), 4x500 desc 1-4, 8x50 (25 sprint/25 easy) and 100 cool down. Then a neuro-muscular weight training set of 3 sets of 1-4 reps, very heavy for me! 

Tomorrow plan to start super early on the trainer then head out on the road, just a 4 hour ride, followed by 30 minute run holding 6:30-6:45 pace. 

Sunday is 2 hour run.  

2016-02-20 12:37 PM

I'm trying to a little more volume in this month in the plans to have a great race at Galveston. Today is my birthday too so lots of cake today.  

This morning I did 3000 yard swim set as 300 wu, 200  kick (25 easy/25 fast), 4x500 desc 1-4, 8x50 (25 sprint/25 easy) and 100 cool down. Then a neuro-muscular weight training set of 3 sets of 1-4 reps, very heavy for me! 

Tomorrow plan to start super early on the trainer then head out on the road, just a 4 hour ride, followed by 30 minute run holding 6:30-6:45 pace. 

Sunday is 2 hour run.  

Sat:
90 min foundation spin
WU: 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity
MS: 1 hour and 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity
CD: 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity

Sun:
1800yd base swim
WU: 300 @ low aerobic intensity
MS: 1,200 @ moderate aerobic intensity
CD: 300 @ low aerobic intensity

50 min foundation run
WU: Run 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity
MS: Run 30 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity
CD: Run 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity
2016-02-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: #5162613

Happy birthday ??

2016-02-22 9:33 AM

User image

Tyler,

Sunday is 2 hour run.  

Sat: 90 min foundation spin WU: 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity MS: 1 hour and 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity CD: 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity Sun: 1800yd base swim WU: 300 @ low aerobic intensity MS: 1,200 @ moderate aerobic intensity CD: 300 @ low aerobic intensity 50 min foundation run WU: Run 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity MS: Run 30 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity CD: Run 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity

Solid, I think I understand. 

I hosted a small swim clinic with a few athletes I coach to do some ows simulation in a single lane in the pool It was a lot of f un!! 

2016-02-22 9:33 AM

User image

Tyler,

Sunday is 2 hour run.  

Sat: 90 min foundation spin WU: 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity MS: 1 hour and 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity CD: 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity Sun: 1800yd base swim WU: 300 @ low aerobic intensity MS: 1,200 @ moderate aerobic intensity CD: 300 @ low aerobic intensity 50 min foundation run WU: Run 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity MS: Run 30 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity CD: Run 10 minutes @ moderate aerobic intensity

Solid, I think I understand. 

I hosted a small swim clinic with a few athletes I coach to do some ows simulation in a single lane in the pool It was a lot of f un!! 

2016-02-22 9:34 AM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by kriztufer Happy birthday ??

yes, how did you know? 32. 

2016-02-22 3:26 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: I'm sure this one will be offensive and step on some toes and even my on. If you're having trouble fitting in your sessions these tips will surely help on time management.

1. Useless time - this is time we spend scrolling on our phones like facebook and updating, it's ok I didn't need to know the last time you went to the bathroom. Watching hours and hours of TV (There's that strength session you missed).

2. Urgent things that need to be done but you waited until the last minute.

3. Non Urgent but important - Don't forget to take care of the little things like stretching, massage, foam rolling.

4. Plan your week on Sunday's so you have an outline of when you're going get your training done, schedule your appointments, get things done around your house and errands.

5. Review the following day the night before.

6. If your so busy and can't get the whole session done, remember that some training is better than no training. 10-15 min run is better than a 0.

2016-02-22 9:09 PM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Hello!

I was in one of these mentoring groups all year last year, but I think I want to mix up the group this year. Everyone was super awesome in my other group and doing it again this year, but why not give something new a try?

Are you still accepting members?

2016-02-23 10:00 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by jimmybags Hello! I was in one of these mentoring groups all year last year, but I think I want to mix up the group this year. Everyone was super awesome in my other group and doing it again this year, but why not give something new a try? Are you still accepting members?

Hey Jimmy, Welcome aboard. Glad to have you as part of this group. Feel free to tell me a bit about your triathlon, family, and career life. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

William

2016-02-23 8:29 PM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
NAME: Jimmy

STORY: I've done on/off road running races since high school, I liked to do a lot of adventure races, orienteering, tough mudders, 5k's etc. I did my first triathlon over 5 years ago as a challenge (a relay team challenged me to a race ). In the past 3 years I have lived in Ohio, NC, NH, and now SC. I bought a house this year and I'm trying to avoid changing the scenery for a little bit

Last year I decided I wanted to do an ironman, I did my first marathon last year right after getting off of a plane back from China, then I did my second ever triathlon at the Raleigh 70.3. Raleigh is where I learned about the importance of nutrition and being aware of heat exhaustion (don't recommend that to anyone!). Then I completed Ironman Florida in November last year, officially I have a DNF because it took me 17 hours and 10 minutes, but I crossed the finish line despite all of my difficulties for the day.

FAMILY STATUS: Just me and the dog

CURRENT TRAINING: This year I decided to step back and work on my speed. My goals are to qualify for the Boston Marathon, run <18:00 5k and I would love to make a run at world championships during the santa cruz 70.3 (I'm not sure how feasible that will end up being).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I haven't entirely decided what smaller races I would like to do as milestones. I know I want to do at least 5 of the SC Tri series races, and I may do a few extra just because it sounds like a fun series

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: (Only the ones I have signed up for so far).

I expect to sign up for at least all of the Greenville Local races for the SC tri series, it should be a pretty active year!

4/17 - Dark Side Half Marathon (Disney world)
5/1 - Flying Pig Marathon (Cincinnati, OH)
9/11 - Santa Cruz 70.3
9/17 - Reach the Beach (NH fun run)

2016-02-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

I've locked in all my races for the season!!!

April 24: Lifetime Fitness Indoor Tri
April 30: Bronx Zoo Run for the Wild 5k
May 1: Five Boro Bike Tour
May 22: Olympic Triathlon
June 19: 70.3 IRONMAN Syracuse
July 24: NYC Triathlon
Nov 6 NYC Marathon
2016-02-25 3:48 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by kriztufer I've locked in all my races for the season!!! April 24: Lifetime Fitness Indoor Tri April 30: Bronx Zoo Run for the Wild 5k May 1: Five Boro Bike Tour May 22: Olympic Triathlon June 19: 70.3 IRONMAN Syracuse July 24: NYC Triathlon Nov 6 NYC Marathon

That looks like a solid schedule there!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.