General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wheels on a trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-23 10:04 AM

Subject: wheels on a trainer
Going into my second year of Tri's. This year I hired a coach who has helped out a lot. I also got a bike trainer, so my question is about my rear wheel. I know my trainer (cycle fluid) will quickly wear down my rear wheel. If I am on the trainer about 2x per week for 60-90 per session. How long do I have before I will need to change my wheel?

I went into a few bike shops asking if they carried a wheel for the trainer. Nobody carried it, but could order. Should I just try and buy a wheel to swap out each time I ride the trainer? I have a Trek Road Bike. How easy is it to swap the wheels out each time?

Thanks for giving this newbie any advice.

2016-01-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: michael08

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: wheels on a trainer

My best piece of advice is to use a dedicated trainer tire and to never, ever use the same tire on the trainer as you do on the road.  It's potentially dangerous.  The trainer will wear down the tire and square off the center part of the tire that makes contact with flywheel roller.  There's a reason tires are rounded and not squared.

So a dedicated trainer tire can be an old used tire or a trainer tire.  I'd suggest a trainer tire.  They are unbelievably durable.  They will last years.  A regular tire on a trainer isn't going to last that long.  Continental, Cycleops, Kurt Kinetic, Vittoria all make trainer tires.

You're right on with your thinking.  My next suggestion is to get a cheap dedicated rear wheel to put the trainer tire on so that you're not swapping out tires for the road and trainer.  That will get cumbersome.

Don't mix up the terms wheel and trainer.  The wheel is the rim, spokes, hub.  The tire is the rubber that goes on the wheel.  They are two separate and distinct things.  You want a dedicated wheel plus a trainer tire.

Swapping out wheels is very easy and a good skill to learn.  Swapping out tires can be extremely difficult depending on the tire and wheel.  A trainer tire is going to be very, very difficult to get on and off a wheel.  Hence why you don't want to be swapping tires every time you switch your bike between road and trainer.

This is why I'm a huge proponent of direct drive trainers vs wheel-on trainers.  Direct drive trainers are so much less fuss.  Downside is they're more expensive.

2016-01-24 6:51 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Thank you for all of the advice. You helped clear up any confusion between wheel vs tire.

I will take your advice.

Thanks
2016-01-25 6:29 PM
in reply to: michael08

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I would recommend trying to find a used rear wheel. It would be a plus if you could get a cassette on it. I think it would be reasonable to get that for $100 and then buy a trainer tire too. It would help w/ shifting if your trainer cassette was similar to the cassette on your actually wheel set, although its not imperative. I have 11-30 on my cx bike and 11-23 on my trainer tire. Its annoying and misses shifts, but it still works.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wheels on a trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Back wheel for a trainer

Started by pumpkin31
Views: 2299 Posts: 21

2015-01-28 3:57 PM mchadcota2

separate wheel/tire for trainer - any old wheel+cassette will do?

Started by michael_runs
Views: 1129 Posts: 5

2011-11-14 5:44 PM DanielG

Spare back wheel for the trainer?

Started by NewbieTri100
Views: 1527 Posts: 15

2011-08-16 8:41 AM mgalanter

Spare wheel for my trainer

Started by rach_1623
Views: 2717 Posts: 11

2010-12-01 12:16 AM rach_1623

Spare wheels for your trainer

Started by funkyd04
Views: 7292 Posts: 16

2010-08-05 12:16 PM trigods
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.