United States
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 39s
Overall Rank = 16/91
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 6:30, love the 9:00 AM race start time! Actually had to sign up before the race, drive was only 30 minutes. At a small bowl of peanut butter captain crunch before heading out. Stopped to fuel up and get a tall bold coffee at Starbucks.
Event warmup:

Met Jon, Pete and Mark in parking lot so we did a 1/3 mile warm-up jog. Yeah, that'll work! Temp was in the low to mid 30's so not too bad. RD was stying uphills are slippery with ice and packed snow. I brought my YakTrax so figured I was good to go.

Oh yeah, did I mention this was my very first trail run? That's right, had never run trails before and here I am at a snow packed and hilly of a mother. I'm sort of a go for it kind of guy so no real surprises here, it's not like it's a 50K or anything...

Course description on their website:
Course:
The course is an out-and-back course on very hilly and tough trails. These trails aren't "sissy" groomed or paved trails; they're the real thing.
Run
  • 26m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Being my first trail run I had no expectations. Just wanted to finish while putting in a good effort and not fall and break anything. The gun went off and pace was quick to start because within 30-40 yards or so the trail begins and it's pretty narrow meaning single file...ish. A couple young kids were in the front and they took off quickly so I had to pass them on the trail. There was packed snow on the trail and softer snow on either side so I picked a line and went around them.

After about a quarter mile or so the rabbits were ahead of me and the traffic began to lean out. There's a pretty steep hill going out hitting a grade of 33% and with ice and snow you had to be really careful even with good traction. I went a little too fast on a section and I slipped forward but luckily landed on my butt and not on a rock. I immediately got back up as if it were one continuous motion (like I planned to do that heh heh) so I was OK. My buddy Pete who is much faster than I was ahead and I managed to stay right behind him all the way to the turnaround (around mile 1.5). I knew that wouldn't last but at least at the time I felt I was putting in a solid effort....either that I I went out way to hard and would die coming back.

Well, after the turnaround Pete shifted into his normal gear and went about chasing people down. The hills just feel so much steeper coming back when you non-trail running leg fatigue starts setting in because you went out too hard in the first mile and a half. When I hit that 33% hill at around mile 1.8 I knew I was in trouble. I just couldn't keep running so I had to walk a bit. Once the grade got to a manageable level, like only 15% I decided to resume running if that's what you call it. A leash-less dog (they allowed dogs in this race, race bibs and all which I thought was cool) started running along side of me and there were still runners coming the opposite direction and one dude said "supposed to have a leash" so I yelled out "not my dog!". Anyhow a few seconds later bad ass runner girl goes trotting by. She turned out the be women's OA winner. I've seen her name in other race results, she's got game!

Somewhere a few minutes after the turnaround one of my YakTraks got shifted up my shoe so I only had traction in the rear of my left foot. I could hear it flapping as I ran. I looked down and thought about stopping to fix it but I didn't because this is a RACE and I didn't want to STOP. Well, after awesome runner girl passed me I looked behind me and didn't see anyone so I stopped and tried to pull it back up over my shoe. Nope, I think I would have had to completely remove it then put it back on my shoe so I said to myself "screw it" and started running again. Then a few minutes after that yellow shirt guy passes me. Yellow shirt guy turned out to be in my AG dang it! I think he beat me by 9 seconds or so, so that stop cost me one place, no big deal i guess.

What would you do differently?:

Uh, I don't know, practice trail running before doing a race...I'm wondering if using sheet metal screws is better than using YakTrax in this enviroment. There was no damage to the YakTrax, it just came off.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to the guys at the finish line, got some hot cocoa, took a picture or two then want to my car and put a dry shirt and sweatshirt on. Then we shared some good beer and talked about the 10 mile trail run partly on the same course coming up in Frebruary. I'm not sure I'm ready to do 10 miles of this.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack to trail running experience and equipment malfunction (YakTrax)

Event comments:

This was a small very very fun race. Very low key, course was marked well which is good because I was worried I might make a wrong turn.

Swag was a couple stickers and a coffee mug, not sure if early sign up had more swag, I didn't see any shirts but race was only $30 the morning of.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-01-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:39 | 03.1 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 16/91
Performance: Good
HR average was 159 high was 167
Course: Hilly out and back, 538 feet of elevation gain per my Garmin GPS. Narrow trail at times with rocks, rocky drop-offs and stream to cross/jump over. Snow and ice covering 95% of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-01-24 10:15 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Psychodelic 5K

2016-01-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: #5163351

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Psychodelic 5K

Great job! My experience trail racing is that the vibe is low key, the running is a blast and the folks are usually really cool. I hope you had as much fun as it seems like you did!

2016-01-25 4:23 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Awesome race, speed Reecer! Trail runs are so amazing, for all the reasons Chris mentioned plus it's just so beautiful!

Awesome pics, too!

2016-01-25 4:32 PM
in reply to: #5163351

User image

Pennsylvania

Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch!!!   

Oh, yes, the race.  Great job out there.  Obviously you like a challenge, picking a snowy, hilly trail run as your first.  Way to rock it!

2016-01-25 4:46 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Thanks Chris, Adrienne and Melanie! I think I liked it mostly because of the snow, soft landings . There's a 10, 20 and 30 (50K) miler in February that finish along the same trail but it might be muddy instead of snowy/icy. The trail nerds tell me this is a very technical course so there's much "easier" races around. The attached picture shows the dog that "rovered" me and the girl who chicked me in that last mile. That dog looked like he was having a ball!

Oh and another thing, every youtube video I looked at that shows how to install screws in the bottom of your shoes had a common theme. They all ENJOYABLY stated they were doing to explain how to SCREW YOUR SHOES! None of them said something like "I wll show you how to install, fit or mount screws to you shoes. Trail Nerds like to screw shoes, plain and simple

(PsychodelicIce5k-2016-1185.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PsychodelicIce5k-2016-1185.jpg (4638KB - 17 downloads)
2016-01-25 5:54 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Seattle

screw you screw shoer!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Psychodelic 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Downtown 5K & 2.5K

Started by Robb
Views: 1526 Posts: 2

2007-04-08 6:39 AM drdi

Cape Henry 5K-21M-5K Duathlon

Started by captantony
Views: 2343 Posts: 6

2006-11-20 12:41 PM thegoddess

Cape Henry 10 Miler & 5K-21M-5K Duathalon

Started by Lunch $ victim
Views: 1614 Posts: 1

2006-11-19 3:36 PM Lunch $ victim

Cape Henry 10 Miler & 5K-21M-5K Duathalon

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1897 Posts: 3

2006-11-20 7:49 AM Shanks

4th Annual Sun Bowl 5k Run & Walk 5k Run

Started by Lasersaw
Views: 1858 Posts: 1

2005-12-31 9:19 PM Lasersaw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.