General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race season planning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-25 2:22 PM

Subject: Race season planning
Hi all,
Since it is almost February, I wanted to pose a topic/question for feedback.

Race season planning. What I am getting at is do you plan out the exact events that you are going to do for the coming year? I know this probably sounds like a dumb question, but there is also work and family that can get in the way. Specifically, do you target 4 or 5 or how ever many events, and then train exclusively for them? Is one of those events your top priority, and are some just "fun" events? Our race season up here in North Dakota is pretty short. One thing I always find myself doing is making choices. For example, there is a half marathon in May that is very popular. There is also a great duathlon 2 weeks before that. Also, another huge triathlon in August, followed by another popular half in September, followed by a Du in October.

Do you think it is just best to stick to one or the other (Tri's and Du's, or running only) and not mix it up? I get about 5-6 hours a week to train, so this could be identified as a limiter perhaps? I have been reading about periodization, and my guess is that it is important to pick races so you can get to the race specific training. What happens for me is if I train for a half, I always feel like I'm losing out on a lot of biking and swimming and vice versa when training for a tri.

Thanks for any opinions. I know there isn't probably any right or wrong here, and it depends on what a persons preference is. I can say one of the things I love about triathlon is that I don't have nearly as many injuries as I did just run training all the time. On the other hand, a half marathon with 7,000 runners is cool too.

Thanks!
Barry

2016-01-25 3:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Race season planning

This is my 15th season of participating in endurance events.  I started when my daughters were 7, 8, and 12, and now they're all in their 20s.  So yes I used to have to plan my race around spring breaks, etc.  I planned specific races every year, usually an 'A' race and some training races.

Some years I didn't get hardly any racing in, maybe 2 or 3, spending my time mostly training.  I've also been doing full IMs every year since 2006, sometimes twice a year.  You have to plan those well in advance.

Last year I decided to do a "race a month" to celebrate turning 50, and I had a blast doing it so I'm doing it again this year.  You can see all my races at http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/13335926 so you can see the big difference in # of races I've done recently. 

I love to run, like to bike, and well swimming and I get along well enough. So I do put a lot of running events into my schedule and that's OK by me. I also like to travel so I have several destination races planned.

So far my registered races for 2016 are:

1/23 Rain Run Half marathon - Completed in 1:54:48

2/28 Rock & Roll Marathon New Orleans, LA (first time visit)
3/13 Shamrock Run 15K Challenge, Portland with my daughter
3/20 Mercer Island Half Marathon (like the 5th time I've done this)
4/2 Go Long 10K to celebrate opening the new 520 bridge
4/9 Race 13.1 Memphis, TN (first time visit)
6/4 Ironman 70.3 Hawaii (on the big island, first time visit)
10/30 Ironman 70.3 Austin (first time racing there)
11/6 New York City Marathon (lottery, I hope I get in)

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-01-25 3:27 PM
2016-01-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Thanks for the response. Looks like you are doing mainly run events up until June? In training for those, how do you keep up on the bike and swim? Just a lot of hours I assume?
2016-01-25 6:59 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I have races I'll be doing in March (sprint), April (Sprint), May (sprint), June (Sprint), August (OLY), Sept (IM 70.3) and Oct (Sprint).

2016-01-25 9:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

love what you do and do what you love

We travel for most races (only 2-3 hours)so its a mini vacation for my wife and three kids (7,4,1) short events keep me fresh for family activities.
My first tri is in March (sprint) and I plan on doing one monthly thru Sept or October. I have only registered for events in March, April (sprint) and May (Oly) but have the other picked out.

Nate

Edited by nrpoulin 2016-01-25 9:44 PM
2016-01-25 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Burchib Thanks for the response. Looks like you are doing mainly run events up until June? In training for those, how do you keep up on the bike and swim? Just a lot of hours I assume?

In recent years, I train 5-6 hours a week early season, up to 12-14 for "peak week" IM training.  Even my "most serious training" year I wouldn't go past about 16 hours a week.  My best IM was 11:53, most of my IMs are around 13 hours plus or minus a bit.  13:45 my last one, Boulder 2015. 

My best tri season came after a serious run at Boston qualifying (pun intended!), so this year I plan to focus early season on running with some cycling and swimming. I'd like to find an April or May triathlon before the 70.3 in June. I'll mostly likely have to travel for that since the triathlon season in Seattle area starts in very late May or early June.

It's my opinion that cutting out the overhead of training ends up making training so much easier. I have a bike trainer and treadmill at home, and my office is half a mile from where I swim.  So I can be very time efficient with regard to training. An hour run in the morning has about zero overhead if it's on my treadmill.  Drive to the gym, swim, shower, drive to work has the same near zero overhead.

2016-01-26 3:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
As it's been said above, do what you enjoy, and work it into your plan.

I would not plan on peaking for too many races in a season, 2-3 would really be the most I'd try to really peak for, and that even is up to the length of your season, how far apart they are etc.

Last year I did cycling time trials, I did running races, open water swim races, and a couple triathlons.

I REALLY only properly peaked for a half marathon, then tried to carry the form with a bit of a reverse build into a 140.6, the rest I really trained through, or tapered and recovered a bit for, but didn't truly peak and fully taper for.

To put it into perspective, I trained 3-8 hours a week all year, then only started to reverse build 6 weeks out from my 140.6 resulting in 12-15 hours a week of lower intensity work, but targeted at IM paces, and managed a sub 12 hour ironman including an epic blowup on the run and an almost 30 minute negative split thanks to my stomach tightening up and refusing nutrition for a good hour :p

Racing can be a fun way to get some intensity into your plan, and socialize with other athletes!
2016-01-26 7:35 AM

User image

I pull out a wall calendar (old school, but it is easy to use, and my husband can reference it at a glance). I pick a couple must do races and register as soon as I can. For 2016, it will be my first 50k in June and Savageman 70 in September. I also knew that this year I would do my first full IM, and that I wanted it to be at the end of the season. So I picked the race formerly known as B2B. I also registered for a gran fondo that my friends and I do together.

Then I started filling in. I need a couple shorter races to train for the 50k, so I signed up for a trail HM and a 25k. Also, there is one 15k that is a lot of fun, so that went on the calendar with a May HIM. At this point, I still have the entire month of July and August open for my husband and I to take a vacation. Life might get in the way of a secondary event--a recent illness prevented me from running a 25k that I had registered for, but I like to have goals spread throughout the year.

I am sure that if I just trail raced or just did tris, I could focus my training and be better at one or the other. However, I am 43. No one is giving me a contract. Racing is a hobby and a way to stay healthy, not a job. I pick the races that I want to do, set goals that work for me, and have fun.
2016-01-26 10:12 AM

User image

, South Carolina
First you gotta plan, triathletes only succeed if they are good planners IMO! Second I agree totally with the post about having your family involved and planning vacations around your events! We have always done this. So pick races in the mountains, at the beach or state parks that offer the significant other and or kids some great experiences. Third, IMO plan the vacation the week after the race. We would usually show up at the race on Thursday or Friday get everyone settled, race on Saturday or Sunday and then you show your support all the next week by giving them a great vacation and saying thank you for supporting you during the race and training. Even if your race sucks, you still are giving back to the ones you love and there is always another race. These times with family and sig others can not be replaced. I mean they have been putting up with your sweaty crap and you about every creak or pain for the past 12-20 weeks they deserve to get something out of it!
2016-01-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

Awesome perspectives and tips from everyone. Thanks so much. I love this site. So much good advice and people willing to give it
2016-01-26 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I average about four triathlons per year.  Usually the same local races, so I plan my year around those.  The tri's are pretty well spread out in April, July, September and October.  My "A" race is also my first race of the year in April (St. Anthony's). I've got a twelve-week plan from here on BT that I'll be starting in the next week or so to prep for it.  

This year is the first time in about five years that I haven't done an off-season half marathon.  I've had some nagging injuries that have kept me from doing any long run training, so decided to just do some minimal running volume this winter and rest my legs and back a bit.

I've also fallen in love with swimming again and plan to do at least four masters swim meets during the year.  For a variety of reasons, these days I see myself transitioning from being just a triathlete, to a swimmer who does triathlons.

I should also mention that I'm a 62-year-old empty-nester with a spouse who has disparate interests, so I don't really have too many constraints on my time outside of work.  That being said, I'm a 'morning person' and do most of my training early so that also helps to minimize potential conflicts with work or family.

Mark

2016-01-26 4:25 PM

What is the big triathlon in ND? I'm just a bit north of you.
2016-01-27 3:06 PM
in reply to: #5163461

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I only did one sanctioned race last year. It was kind of a take a break from tri's/races compared to previous years. 2014 was a tough year in which I crashed 2 races in a row on the bike. The big one being at AG nationals 1/4 mile into the bike and a guy slipping his shoe on ran into me. Ruined the race where I went from 12-13 out of the water to 39. I needed a reset year, so I ran an ultra last year and barely looked at the bike.

I have big plans for this year. Hope to qualify again in April. Then have 2-3 more races planned out before nationals again, with ag nationals being the goal race. Really been researching which races to do based off previous scores from the top contenders in order to get my ranking up.

Looking forward to this season.
2016-01-27 4:20 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Tyler,

I plan to be in Austin. 

2016-01-28 5:47 PM
in reply to: triritter

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Once we finalize a divorce settlement, then I can determine just how much I'll have left for races
That's my plann'n
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race season planning Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Planning your race season

Started by Gladiador
Views: 813 Posts: 9

2012-04-20 2:21 PM thebigb

Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training

Started by richwampler
Views: 1512 Posts: 2

2010-10-01 10:04 AM JohnnyKay

Advice for planning next season's races

Started by monkeytri
Views: 837 Posts: 4

2008-10-19 7:28 AM monkeytri

Training Plan for DURING Race Season?

Started by newbiedana
Views: 1085 Posts: 5

2008-04-21 9:41 AM newbiedana

2008 Race Season Planning?

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 845 Posts: 5

2007-04-16 11:27 AM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Ron
Different ways to use and combine the detailed performance member training plans for a complete, annual season. You will be pleasantly surprised by your results on these plans.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.