General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Efficiency Losses on the Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-01-26 8:11 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Efficiency Losses on the Bike
During my off-season bike focus, I have been doing the majority of my rides on the trainer, as I find that is easier to control efforts and concentrate on the details of workouts, but have also been making sure to at least get outside once a week for a long ride if at all possible. One thing that has been interesting to me is that lack of apparent correlation between power and speed on the same course. On a recent long ride I averaged 197 watts for 50 miles and ended up at an average of 20.9 mph. On another ride, on the same course and same distance, I averaged 20.7 mph with an average of only 170 watts. So I decided to plot power vs watts to try to figure out what was happening.

I don't have a ton of data, so this is really preliminary, but wanted to share what I saw. The initial plot does show, what appears to be a linear relationship between power and speed (shocker). But not a really great one. Adding a linear trend line gives and R^2 value of 0.41.

My first hunch was wind was the culprit. Sometimes it can get REALLY windy out there. I thought the Florida Keys had wind, but it doesn't hold a candle to riding out in the flats in Texas. Some rides it can be up to 30 mph sustained winds with gusts in the 40's. So although I do out-and-back courses, and theoretically it should even out, I figured there had to be some efficiency lost. I started by using the wind speed data from each day and using it as a factor to adjust the watts to see if that would reign in my data. I took the watts for any ride, then subtracted the wind speed multiplied by a factor X. For example, if the wind speed was 10 mph, and I averaged 180 watts, and X=1, then the equivalent watts for that ride would be 175 watts for a day with 5 mph wind. I could then adjust X to see how this changed the data. And surprising to me, the higher X was, the worse the data correlated. As I approached X=0, it got to the best value, which would infer that wind had no effect on efficiency. One big factor left out was wind direction, but my long ride route goes out-and-back in multiple directions, like a star pattern, so I think that is corrected for.

My next thought was clothes. Although I don't keep track of what I wear, on days under 50 degrees, I typically wear a baggy running jacket. So I went through and subtracted 10 watts for every day that was under 50 degrees. That had a much stronger effect on the correlation, to the point where it brought the linear trend line R^2 value up to 0.67, just from that simple adjustment.

Given the very small amount of data (about 15 points), with a small range (ave power ranging from 161-197 and ave speed ranging from 19.6-20.9) I realize that there is absolutely no way to make any sort of concrete statements, and this will be something I look into ongoing, but I did think it was interesting that at this point, wind speed (which varied anywhere from 5 mph up to 30 mph sustained) had no appreciable effect on efficiency, but apparently clothing did. I would have though both had an equal effect, with wind being more efficiency-sucking.

So is that what ya'll are seeing out there?

(Capture.JPG)

(Capture1.JPG)

(Capture3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (41KB - 4 downloads)
Capture1.JPG (37KB - 4 downloads)
Capture3.JPG (47KB - 6 downloads)

2016-01-26 9:20 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Efficiency Losses on the Bike

paralysis by analysis

2016-01-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

dude, stop thinking and just train.

2016-01-26 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

The thinking is half the fun. I effing love data. Besides...the forum has been a bit boring lately, just trying to strike up an interesting conversation.

Edited by 3mar 2016-01-26 9:29 AM
2016-01-26 9:32 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by morey000

paralysis by analysis

Nicole (ligersandtions) recently had a HIM bike split within 5 min of Rachel Joyce. It's in her RR if you are interested.

She did this by significantly improving her cda through 15 test sessions with various permutations of equipment, positions etc.
Each one was at over 50miles, up and down a stretch of road.
She got in shape doing these miles and she got faster. No paralysis, lots of analysis and a great result.

2016-01-26 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

So is that what ya'll are seeing out there?

We can get into as gory details as you want, but clothing is absolutely HUGE. Going from average to good clothing is easily 20watts.
Bad clothing is like cycling with a parachute.

You are also correct in that tail/headwinds will cancel each other out with the poor precision you are using. Gusts are a PITA for testing however. Calm days and days with steady wind are best.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-26 9:43 AM

2016-01-26 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

The thinking is half the fun. I effing love data. Besides...the forum has been a bit boring lately, just trying to strike up an interesting conversation.

factors that can impact pace:  clothing, your position that day, tire pressure, wind, air temperature, humidity, moisture level on the road, how your power was applied

there are just too many variables to figure that out with one test.  if you kept a journal of these conditions clothing selection etc, then maybe you can look at a good larger data set. i.e. minimum 10 rides

2016-01-26 11:04 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Interesting findings.  Thanks for sharing.    

I don't have a power meter so the only way I can measure effort on the bike is with my heart rate monitor.  I have found results with the HR monitor that were counter intuitive.  In training I cycle three days a week.  Two shorter rides on week days and a longer ride on Saturday.  On one short short ride I rode fairly hard with a 127 BPM average HR.  Two days later I was feeling worn out and took the ride on the same route very easy with a 114 BPM average HR.  The 127 HR day I however had a 19.0 MPH average speed and the 114 HR day I had an 18.75 MPH average on the same route.  

Another ride on that route a few weeks later had a MPH average of 19.5 BPM at a 123 average HR.  That seemed to be my most efficient way to ride the route.

I did a long ride on a Saturday that was two loops of the morning route which also showed interesting results.  The first loop I had a 17.0 MPH average with a 170 BPM Heart rate (No Idea how I was able to get the heart rate that high), the second loop I was tired and just focusing on staying relaxed and keeping the cadence up and my average speed was 17.5 MPH at a 130 BPM HR. 

So when I try to muscle my way through a work out it increases my HR and it increased my speed too for a short time but I get fatigued and my average speed over the whole ride ends up being slower.  When I ride conservatively my HR stays lower and my average speed over the length of the ride is higher. I am still learning the sport of cycling and will be experimenting with a lot of things this spring.

Note:  I bike in the same set of cloths about every ride.  I record faster times with my tire pressure at 80 PSI than I do with tire pressure at 110 PSI, but that may have to do with the roughness of the road I am riding on and on race day when I am not on my country road optimal tire pressures may be different.  At any rate the tire pressure only factors about 0.1-.2 MPH in what I see so I just set it at 90-100 PSI and don't worry about it.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-01-26 11:25 AM
2016-01-26 11:05 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

:-) good post!

2016-01-26 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

factors that can impact pace:  clothing, your position that day, tire pressure, wind, air temperature, humidity, moisture level on the road, how your power was applied

there are just too many variables to figure that out with one test.  if you kept a journal of these conditions clothing selection etc, then maybe you can look at a good larger data set. i.e. minimum 10 rides

3mar, Dave is correct

When you are riding, your power is

overcoming rolling resistance (RR)
overcoming aerodyamic drag (AD)
overcoming gravity going up hills (G)

If you are producing more power than that to overcome all of the above, you accelerate, if less power you slow down

so total Power = Power for RR + Power for AD + Power G + Power for Acceleration (there are a few minor others, but ignore them for now)

RR is mostly affected by road conditions and your tires
AD is affected by air density, and your aerodynamics. Temperature, Barometric pressure, Humidity…all affect air density. On equal watts, all else being equal you will be faster in warm air.

AD = 1/2 * rho (air density) * cda * AirSpeed ^2 * Ground Velocity

AirSpeed is your ground velocity + head wind velocity.
So you can see that with no wind, this power is affected by ^3 of ground velocity and with a head wind even more than that.

Your clothing, equipment choices and position are what make up cda, so it is huge factor .....

Edited by marcag 2016-01-26 11:32 AM
2016-01-26 11:32 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag

paralysis by analysis

Nicole (ligersandtions) recently had a HIM bike split within 5 min of Rachel Joyce. It's in her RR if you are interested. She did this by significantly improving her cda through 15 test sessions with various permutations of equipment, positions etc. Each one was at over 50miles, up and down a stretch of road. She got in shape doing these miles and she got faster. No paralysis, lots of analysis and a great result.

After I raced Galveston 70.3 last year, Marc looked at my bike data and said "you're less aero than I am", which was funny because I'm a fairly small girl and should be decently aero.  Like he said, I did a lot of testing up and down a three mile stretch of road.  I have a list of how many minutes various things will save me over the course of a HIM bike split at my power (i.e. not something useless like how much time this would save me at 30mph).  A couple minutes here and a couple minutes there really add up. 

I can't tell you how many people told me "you can't aero test on the road" or "you need a wind tunnel to do that", but in the end, it didn't matter.  The testing was good training itself (I did all of it at projected HIM power), so even if it didn't give useful data, it was still good training.  And if you don't think aero testing on the road is worthwhile, tell that to my bike split

2016-01-26 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Why are you looking for a linear relationship?

Shane
2016-01-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ligersandtions

paralysis by analysis

Nicole (ligersandtions) recently had a HIM bike split within 5 min of Rachel Joyce. It's in her RR if you are interested. She did this by significantly improving her cda through 15 test sessions with various permutations of equipment, positions etc. Each one was at over 50miles, up and down a stretch of road. She got in shape doing these miles and she got faster. No paralysis, lots of analysis and a great result.

After I raced Galveston 70.3 last year, Marc looked at my bike data and said "you're less aero than I am", which was funny because I'm a fairly small girl and should be decently aero.  Like he said, I did a lot of testing up and down a three mile stretch of road.  I have a list of how many minutes various things will save me over the course of a HIM bike split at my power (i.e. not something useless like how much time this would save me at 30mph).  A couple minutes here and a couple minutes there really add up. 

I can't tell you how many people told me "you can't aero test on the road" or "you need a wind tunnel to do that", but in the end, it didn't matter.  The testing was good training itself (I did all of it at projected HIM power), so even if it didn't give useful data, it was still good training.  And if you don't think aero testing on the road is worthwhile, tell that to my bike split

The training helped quite a bit.  You could have gotten the data, without the training, in a wind tunnel.  I understand your point and I'm sure you learned a ton about what is aero for you....but I spend a lot of time around folks who can put up the fastest bike splits at many races, and they don't spend any time, to speak of, working on what is aero for them.  So tell that to their bike splits.   

2016-01-26 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain
  • ..but I spend a lot of time around folks who can put up the fastest bike splits at many races, and they don't spend any time, to speak of, working on what is aero for them. 

• Well, actually, the kid that beat Jr at worlds did aero test, so there is that.....

Edited by marcag 2016-01-26 12:18 PM
    2016-01-26 12:18 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

The training helped quite a bit.  You could have gotten the data, without the training, in a wind tunnel.  I understand your point and I'm sure you learned a ton about what is aero for you....but I spend a lot of time around folks who can put up the fastest bike splits at many races, and they don't spend any time, to speak of, working on what is aero for them.  So tell that to their bike splits. 

Yes but...

For someone who is a monster on the bike and knows they'll be able to sit with the pack (either draft legal or legal distance in non-draft) easily without digging themselves a big hole, they can afford to not care about optimizing their position or equipment and let their run split rule the day.

Shane
    2016-01-26 12:24 PM
    in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven
    Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

First pass analysis?

2016-01-26 12:52 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain ...but I spend a lot of time around folks who can put up the fastest bike splits at many races, and they don't spend any time, to speak of, working on what is aero for them. 
    Well, actually, the kid that beat Jr at worlds did aero test, so there is that.....

Yeah, and he rode 2500 more miles that year so there is that.....and it was the ONLY time he ever beat him so there is that too.   LMAO

You guys love the N=1 when you think it makes your point.....can't stand it otherwise.

I don't blame you. 

Look, there is NO WAY anyone who puts in 750 more miles of training, trying to test what is more aero or not, on the road, with ever changing conditions, can say for sure if it was the extra training or the new clothes that made the biggest difference.  That's just silliness.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-01-26 1:14 PM
    2016-01-26 1:16 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

paralysis by analysis

Since you've had at length discussions about training methods with everyone who has responded here so far you know they value power output, so confused about what you're trying to say here?

2016-01-26 1:31 PM
    in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

you can grossly make aero adjustments in this way, with many repeated trials.  However, a 5 degree change in wind direction impacts yaw angles, completely throwing off any aero "data" you think you've collected.  minute adjustments are essentially untestable in this fashion without advanced, precise, equipment.

2016-01-26 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Look, there is NO WAY anyone who puts in 750 more miles of training, trying to test what is more aero or not, on the road, with ever changing conditions, can say for sure if it was the extra training or the new clothes that made the biggest difference.  That's just silliness.

Well in testing her cda was as high as .26. After multiple adjustments it was .21 so yes, you can separate the two.

Her 150 watts which is very respectable for her weight was her training. That's the hundreds of miles. That's the VO2 intervals, that's the hard work

Her .05 cda improvement was her aero improvement. You can differentiate the two if you are smart enough to understand physics. I do understand your inability to do so.

It's unfortunate that a perfectly good thread about aero testing has to be derailed by your BS.
    Fact is you can improve both your power and your aerones. You can measure them separately and you can work on them both at the same time.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-26 1:36 PM
    2016-01-26 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

you can grossly make aero adjustments in this way, with many repeated trials.  However, a 5 degree change in wind direction impacts yaw angles, completely throwing off any aero "data" you think you've collected.  minute adjustments are essentially untestable in this fashion without advanced, precise, equipment.

Yes and no. There are several runs that you see the data is meaningless and you throw them away. When you get consistent data you use that. When it's repeated multiple times, you have confidence in it.

As part of HIM training you do lots of HIM long efforts. If you can get aero data out of it, so much better.

If you don't believe it's possible as Robert Chung and Andy Francioni what they think. I did.
    For those that don't those name, Robert is the inventor of the Chung method for aero testing. Andy implemented this in a s/w called Aerolab. Andy went on to start Alphamantis which is used by all the top teams in the world for aero testing, outside the wind tunnel.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-26 1:38 PM

2016-01-26 1:42 PM
    in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

Limited data mostly. I'd have to assume that the overall relationship would not be linear, but we're looking at a very small piece of that set. I'd need data from 100 watts up to 500 to start seeing anything definitive, and here we have a spread of maybe 40 at best. A small part of any curve can still be looked at linearly for most purposes. Think Simpsons method for approximating integrals. (Tom not Homer)

2016-01-26 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area
    I just wanted to be seen in a post about aerodynamics vs. training more.
    2016-01-26 1:49 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain Look, there is NO WAY anyone who puts in 750 more miles of training, trying to test what is more aero or not, on the road, with ever changing conditions, can say for sure if it was the extra training or the new clothes that made the biggest difference.  That's just silliness.
    Well in testing her cda was as high as .26. After multiple adjustments it was .21 so yes, you can separate the two. Her 150 watts which is very respectable for her weight was her training. That's the hundreds of miles. That's the VO2 intervals, that's the hard work Her .05 cda improvement was her aero improvement. You can differentiate the two if you are smart enough to understand physics. I do understand your inability to do so. It's unfortunate that a perfectly good thread about aero testing has to be derailed by your BS. Fact is you can improve both your power and your aerones. You can measure them separately and you can work on them both at the same time.

No, it takes BS to get the bullcrap out of what you post and get to the meat of it.  You started by saying that you knew a person who's good bike split was because of the 750 miles of aero training/testing she did and then ended up cyber sourcing Chung and Francioni as if they had anything to do with the original 750 miles of training/testing leading to an improvement.  No.

OK, you can work on your power and aeroness at the same time, that's not exactly a revelation.....just don't try to tell me that you can say which of those values is worth more under any condition in any race.....THAT'S where the real BS is!

Edited by Left Brain 2016-01-26 1:51 PM
    2016-01-26 1:54 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

3mar, Dave is correct

When you are riding, your power is

overcoming rolling resistance (RR)
    overcoming aerodyamic drag (AD)
    overcoming gravity going up hills (G)

If you are producing more power than that to overcome all of the above, you accelerate, if less power you slow down

so total Power = Power for RR + Power for AD + Power G + Power for Acceleration (there are a few minor others, but ignore them for now)

RR is mostly affected by road conditions and your tires
    AD is affected by air density, and your aerodynamics. Temperature, Barometric pressure, Humidity…all affect air density. On equal watts, all else being equal you will be faster in warm air.

AD = 1/2 * rho (air density) * cda * AirSpeed ^2 * Ground Velocity

AirSpeed is your ground velocity + head wind velocity.
    So you can see that with no wind, this power is affected by ^3 of ground velocity and with a head wind even more than that.

Your clothing, equipment choices and position are what make up cda, so it is huge factor .....

I hadn't thought about the air density changes, that is interesting. This also brings me to another point, and that is physiological differences. I guess it makes sense that going into and out of the wind cancels itself out based on power, but what about fatigue? Is maintaining 200 watts on a windy course more physically taxing than maintaining 200 watts on a calm course? It certainly feels that way. Probably due to variable efforts (going too hard against the wind and too easy with it...even with a PM that's hard to control). But if you could nail a steady power, would your physical effort also even out? Same for a hilly course with net 0 elevation gain?

The temperature however I see a bit difference. Hotter air may mean lower density, however, it also means that at some point your body has to expend energy keeping you cool which will be detrimental to performance (maybe not power, as that is separate, but it would be hard to produce the same power). Just thinking out loud.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Efficiency Losses on the Bike Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Bike Gurus: Bike power and weight loss/gain

Started by FELTGood
    Views: 1628 Posts: 6

2014-08-02 7:34 AM jennifer_runs

How to increase stroke efficiency- bike question

Started by mdg2003
    Views: 1501 Posts: 6

2008-09-02 11:05 AM Bigfuzzydoug

Bike Training (increasing efficiency) question

Started by latrina
    Views: 953 Posts: 6

2008-07-16 11:35 AM Nelg

weight loss and muscle loss

Started by damienmalone
    Views: 1097 Posts: 6

2006-12-15 5:25 PM elektra

Fat loss, not weight loss

Started by pds0006
    Views: 1219 Posts: 3

2005-08-30 11:28 AM TH3_FRB
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 16, 2015
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : March 30, 2011
    comments : 8
    A woman trains for and achieves her goal to do an almost 3 hour Olympic triathlon in her 50th year
    date : March 17, 2008
    author : CPT
    comments : 0
    In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : July 4, 2006
    author : KevinKonczak
    comments : 0
    While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.
    date : June 14, 2005
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 3
    Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 26, 2004
    author : jhealy422
    comments : 2
    For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : September 19, 2004
    author : Total Immersion
    comments : 1
    Increasing your energy efficiency even modestly -- from, say, 3% to 4% -- can translate into a 33% improvement in your swimming.