General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles and mirrored/tint/color/polarized? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-26 3:16 PM

Subject: Goggles and mirrored/tint/color/polarized?
So was looking at TYR which I really like the comfort, fit and look of the Spec Ops goggles and noticed that on their site that you can customize every single aspect of their goggles. Very cool, right? However, my first question that comes to mind is how does the color / tint of the goggles affect how you see in the pool or in open water?

I haven't upgraded to some cool bike/run sunglasses, but I know in the case of sunglasses, that different tints make a big difference in visibility. I see that they also do mirrored which could work better for outdoors.

Most of my training is in the pool with a very few open water swims and then of course the actual race in open water.

Any suggestions on goggles / glass polarization, transition, or tinting? Or other goggles outside of TYR?

2016-01-26 5:16 PM
in reply to: kctkd

User image

Subject: RE: Goggles and mirrored/tint/color/polarized?
Goggles are a personal choice. I wore Swedes from HS through college. Now I wear speedo speed sockets and swedes still sometimes. Typically I just wear a smoke color lens which works for me both indoor and outdoor. If you're worried about sun glare during OWS the mirrored are a good choice. Indoor clear or I like a blue lens.
2016-01-26 5:45 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I've enjoyed the tinted aquasphere kayman or however you spell it. Mirrored as well.
2016-01-28 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I wear TYR Special Ops goggles for open water swimming.  I had previously tried both non-polarized clear or blue-tinted lenses.  The clear worked OK at the start of a race when it was still somewhat dark, but not at the end.  Living on the west coast of FL, a lot of races finish swimming east back toward the beach and I'd get blinded swimming directly into the rising sun..  On the other hand, the tinted goggles helped with the sun at the end, but were like wearing a blindfold at the start.  The polarized Special Ops goggles, although a bit more expensive, seem to work acceptably well in all conditions. 

For the pool I wear TYR Stealth goggles with smoke lenses.  I like the way they fit my face and the smoke lenses seem to work well for either early morning masters swims or swim meets during the day.

Mark 

2016-02-18 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swedes ...
2016-02-21 3:40 PM

User image

Frankfurt, Hessen
The most important thing is the fit. If you're comfortable with the TYR SPecial ops, keep using that model. I personally like the Speedo. I have 2 pairs. both the same model. One is clear for pool swims (the light tainted blue also works well), and a black one for sunny days or open water. It also doubles back as a back up pair, in case one of them happens to break.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles and mirrored/tint/color/polarized? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Goggles - mirrored or tinted?

Started by ladyluna67
Views: 1583 Posts: 5

2014-08-23 3:31 PM ladyluna67

Goggle Color

Started by rjames91
Views: 1601 Posts: 9

2013-05-12 7:44 AM RedCorvette

what does color of goggles matter?

Started by movingsouth
Views: 1085 Posts: 10

2008-03-20 7:35 PM Thomas Demerly

Goggles - tinted or clear ?

Started by tri42
Views: 17090 Posts: 16

2007-08-03 9:14 AM Artemis

foggy goggles, foggy goggles, foggy goggles...

Started by aliengin
Views: 1366 Posts: 12

2004-11-20 12:16 PM Yoshiko
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 7
After three triathlon seasons, I finally decided that I wanted to actually see well during the swim portion. My vision is not so great. I had to find better goggles.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
comments : 0
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!

date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.