General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last question on HR-I promise! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-27 8:30 PM

Subject: Last question on HR-I promise!
Awhile back I posted a question on HR and zones, etc

I took the advice offered to heart (geez an accidental pun) and performed the run fitness test.

The test: I ran for 10 minutes to warm up. At this point I increased the pace significantly and after about a minute, I triggered my HR monitor. I went as hard as I possibly could for 15 minutes. (I know, it was supposed to be 20). After the 15 minutes I stopped the monitor and cooled down. The run was extremely hard, so I feel confident that I gave it all I could. My legs agree.

Results: Average HR 168 Max during session 175. A little more info: I am 57, and my resting HR is usually between 58-60. I have been running and cycling for 3 years.

My question: I assume from reading that it is the 168 that I base my zones on? Also, what about the 175? If I run a race and I am up in that area, does this mean I am running more than my max? I am confused by this.
Also, if I go by the old unreliable 220-age, I get 163. So, does the 168 mean I am in good shape, or not so good? I would welcome any thoughts on interpreting all this data.

Thanks great people!!
Barry

2016-01-28 1:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Last question on HR-I promise!
Couple of things.

When I use Friel's method for determining heart rate zones using a 20 minute test ( it sounds like this is what you were doing ) the protocol is to treat the *entire* 30 minutes as if it's a race, so using the first 10 minutes to warm up, and only speeding up a minute before hitting the beginning of the 20 minute period would be incorrect.

An Excerpt from Joe Friel's blog:

"Again, it should be done as if it was a race for the entire 30 minutes. But at 10 minutes into the test click the lap button on your heart rate monitor. When done look to see what your average heart rate was for the last 20 minutes. That number is an approximation of your LTHR.

Note: I am frequently asked if you should go hard for the first 10 minutes. The answer is yes. Go hard for the entire 30 minutes."

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-settin...

There are a few reason for this, such as the heart rate taking a while to build up when at a certain intensity, causing the resulting heart rate average to possibly be wrong, and also, only maintaining the intensity for 20-21 minutes instead of 30, makes the effort in of itself correlate less with a 1 hour threshold effort.

I'd do the test again but the "warm-up" wouldn't be part of the 30 minutes, you should have a hard even pace the full 30 minutes, while only taking the heart rate average of the final 20.

The max heart rate you get during the test is meaningless, it's only the average you are after. You'd need a more specific protocol like a ramp test if you want to approach your theoretical max heart rate, though I fine more success with super hard intervals, or the very and of certain shorter races personally.

Comparing the 220-age versus your calculated threshold doesn't really tell us anything ( and 220-age is supposed to be correlated with max theoretical heart rate, rather than your 1 hour threshold, so this tells us you just have a higher heart rate than the rule of thumb equation would have you expect )

There is a lot of variety in max heart rates, threshold heart rates, resting heart rates, so from the number alone we can't tell how fit or unfit someone is, but comparing your own numbers over time you can see changes in your own fitness.

Eg, when people are un-fit, their heart rates tend to get very high more easily than when they are fit. What type of training can effect these numbers as well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dfquigley 2016-01-28 1:13 AM
2016-01-28 3:23 AM
in reply to: #5163908

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
It's very simple. Do a warm up for 15-20 minutes. Then at the 20 minute mark hit the lap button. This is where you have to start running hard. 10k race pace or better. You need to go hard enough you can last for 30 minutes without failing. 10 minutes in you hit the lap button and those last 20 minutes is what your average hr should be.

It's a pretty cookie cutter plan. You can't shortchange it otherwise it's not quite an accurate reading, and it's a hard test which shouldn't be easy.

Good luck.
2016-01-28 9:25 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Like dfquigley noted, you didn't perform the test correctly, so the information you got from it isn't as useful.  Here's the protocol I use for my athletes:

Determining Run Training Zones
In running we want to know our heart rate training zones. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute time trial (TT). From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. This is best if done on a flat uninterrupted path or trail.
Run test protocol:
After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.
The 30 minute TT begins.
At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.
You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.
15 minutes easy cool down.
Note your your average HR for the final 20 minutes in the post-workout comments, and enter it as your Lactate Threshold in your profile options.

The entire session will take about an hour.  It usually takes a few attempts at the test before you're able to execute it well.  One of the objectives is to have a relatively steady HR throughout the 30 minute test.  Also, if you don't feel like you're going to vomit or pass out for the last 20 minutes of the test, you probably didn't go hard enough.

Good luck.

2016-01-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: Bevie

Thanks folks! Much appreciated. I will re-do the test. It is hard to find that pace that can be attained for 30 minutes, but still feel like you gave it everything you had. I will treat the test like a 10K that I am trying for a PR.
Thanks again. I learn something every day on this site!
Barry
2016-01-28 1:27 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
"The first rule of testing is to throw out the first test" - Olympic Running Coach Bobby McGee

Like others said, it's a do-over.

Not sure if someone mentioned it above, but throw out the 220-age test. It's not that it's unreliable its that it's a statistically derved formula with a standard deviation of 6-8 beats. What is it then...95 % of the population will fall within 2 SDs on either side? So it's just not accurate. But there's a good chance you'll fall in there somewhere...

2016-01-28 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Burchib

Thanks folks! Much appreciated. I will re-do the test. It is hard to find that pace that can be attained for 30 minutes, but still feel like you gave it everything you had. I will treat the test like a 10K that I am trying for a PR.
Thanks again. I learn something every day on this site!
Barry

It took me a few shots to really get good at 30 minute tests on the run as well as the 20 minute bike FTP protocol as well.

After you've tested a few times and you know about where to hit, you'll have an easier fine tuning your effort levels.

I've had it go both ways, do better on the same test 3 times in a row, and also blowing up before it's done cause I went too hard, before I finally nailed it.

Very glad I did go to all the trouble though! Great exercise in pacing too!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last question on HR-I promise! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Gurus, Flip turn question: I promise not the usual debate

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2544 Posts: 21

2012-07-11 7:23 AM erik.norgaard

Last question before my first Tri (I promise)

Started by JMoney
Views: 774 Posts: 4

2010-09-18 4:38 PM ewillmore

Last long run was last night

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1539 Posts: 14

2009-12-24 10:41 PM SAWFISH50

Coming in last, I mean really last. Pages: 1 2

Started by ajoneen
Views: 5131 Posts: 37

2008-07-17 7:41 PM cadreamer

Not your typical swimming/breathing question, I promise

Started by Carl Carlson
Views: 1013 Posts: 13

2006-10-11 9:25 AM TBills
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
comments : 1
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”