General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Western WA races disappearing (tri/du)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-27 11:44 PM

User image

Subject: Western WA races disappearing (tri/du)?
2012 and 2013 were my biggest years in participating in multi-sport. I've only done one race in the last two years and was looking to start making up a calendar for 2016.

In 2013 I did:
Rainier Duathlon
Issaquah Duathlon
Five Mile Lake Tri (sprint)
Ocean Shores Tri (sprint)
Lake Meridian Tri (s.sprint)

In 2012 I did:
Issaquah Duathlon
Ocean Shores Duathlon (Olympic)
Black Diamond Duathlon (Olympic)
Kirkland Duathlon

Of those, Issaquah and Five Mile lake are gone now (did Issaquah last year and recently got the email they were done). Black Diamond has scaled back their options drastically (and down to one day now), and the only thing that may be left at Ocean Shores is the Toughman Tri (HIM distance). It's tough to say with the TriFreaks races, as their site doesn't show anything new for 2016, so I'm assuming they may be closing shop, which would also include the Kirkland Tri/Du at the end of the season.

Additionally, some that I was considering appear to have left too:
Escape from the Rock appears to be gone.
Steilacoom offroad duathlon struggled for pre-registrants last year and I think they only did one race and don't have anything in 2016.

Lake Meridian Tri expanded to two races, which is nice. I also like the course change for the bike as I'm stronger there than anything else.

I'm assuming that, financially, these races must not be making it for the organizers. TriFreaks ran a few of these, so if they're done it affects these shorter courses (and multiple options) the most.

Any thoughts on what's happening to the different multi-sports options in this area?

2016-01-28 6:06 AM
in reply to: seeverist

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Western WA races disappearing (tri/du)?

Numbers have been down for the last few years. I'm good friends with the folks who run BuDu Racing (who put on Issaquah and Five Mile Lake, along with many others), and they just weren't making money on the western WA events. They're still doing races over the Cascades, in Moses Lake. Fact is, though, they make a lot more just timing some one else's race than they do promoting and putting on their own events.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Western WA races disappearing (tri/du)? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where can I find races in WA?

Started by pnwdan
Views: 797 Posts: 6

2014-06-18 11:41 AM eplanajr

Subura Western Tri Series

Started by Fighting Hellfish
Views: 1154 Posts: 4

2012-02-24 4:28 PM mango6383

Black Diamond Tri - Seattle, WA

Started by jmeyers
Views: 1506 Posts: 5

2005-09-25 5:15 PM magic

Seafair Triathlon 7/17 -- Seattle, WA Pages: 1 2

Started by eviltangerine
Views: 3735 Posts: 40

2005-07-19 9:16 AM eviltangerine

Tacoma WA or Kitsap County WA?

Started by piggpen35
Views: 1168 Posts: 4

2006-05-30 11:17 PM Swimmer3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : August 7, 2007
author : newinboston
comments : 6
Some would say there are easier ways to get in shape, and they are probably right. My first worry was being able to squeeze into a wetsuit by race day.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.
date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!