General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yoga question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-28 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Yoga question
Any of the men do yoga.
They are starting a men's only beginner Yoga class in the mornings at my local Y.
I have been swimming on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays with runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I alternate swim run on Saturdays
My flexibility has never been all the great and now at age 55 it is worse.
I am thinking about giving the Yoga a try and then seeing about doing my swim after work instead of before.

Any thoughts.

2016-01-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: #5163976

Subject: RE: Yoga question
If you can fit it into your schedule I believe it's well worth it. Over the last couple years I've had broken bones and surgery and as a result my fitness and flexibility had gone into the dumpster. Yoga has really helped with both. I began training again about 3.5 months ago and began to work yoga into the routine about twice a week starting 2 months ago and noticed a big difference in my workouts.

It takes time to develop or redevelop flexibility, but when I compare how I was 2 months ago to now, it's quite noticeable, and, for me at least, it seems to shorten recovery from hard days quite a bit.

Another couple benefits is that it really strengthens your core and helps with breathing.
2016-01-28 11:55 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I think it would be helpful if you can fit it in. I don't think its better for your speed to drop a workout for it, although it might be better for your overall wellness if you had to. If you can do both I would do it for sure.
2016-01-28 2:14 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

When I remember to do yoga regularly, I suffer from fewer running related soreness/pain/whatever.  I am certain regular yoga enables to me to run more, which is always good. I don't go to class as much as I used to, but I do a short post-run routine.

2016-01-28 5:04 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Do the yoga.  It may make you sore for a while, but once you get into the flowww of things i hardly notice a difference in my other workouts, except that i am sturdier and more flexible.  and happier.

2016-01-28 5:18 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I've been doing yoga on and off, but mostly on, for over 10 years and I'm 58 now. Without a control subject (me without yoga) I couldn't say exactly how much it's helped, though I'm confident it has. I still feel it's worthwhile taking classes and practising some on my own too. Just from personal observation, I've definitely seen more males at yoga classes in the last few years.

Note: your classmates will appreciate it if you avoid wearing loose unlined shorts!

2016-01-29 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Thank you all for the input. You all basically confirmed what I had already thought..
The first class is next Wednesday, we will see how it goes.
2016-01-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: verga

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My swim coach got me started doing some basic yoga last year as part of our dryland workouts.  It's definitely helped with my flexibility and core strength.. I'm 62 and have had back and leg issues over the years, so I also look at it as a bit of preventive medicine.

Mark

2016-01-29 12:17 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Denver, Colorado
There is a great shows called Classical Stretch and it runs Mon-Fri on WYCC public television (it's channel 20 in Chicago, I am not sure how it works in other states). The lady who created this show mainly target older folks (70-90 years old) who are less flexible and, let's face it, their bodies, muscles, and bones are getting ready for the end. Her main idea is to keep muscles and joint more "alive", give them more flexibility and prevent injuries, that are very common, and sometimes fatal, for elderly.
Her stretching workout is fantastic. I am 32 and I find it challenging, even though it is very simple - it's just stretching. But it really feels good. I am sitting in the office all day, and my back and neck can feel it. With this workout my muscles and joints are better prepared to start a day (the show runs at 6 am.)
I hope you find yoga, and any other related program, very beneficial. Keep us posted!
2016-01-29 12:27 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I found that during heavy training, a Bikram Yoga class once/week did wonders.

2016-02-01 6:09 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I do a short yoga routine at home almost every day. I'm 57 I think without it, I would have quit tri's a few years back. I had a bike refit on my road bike that I don't ride much and told the fitter that my hamstrings always got tight riding this bike. he figured I had a flexibility issue and was impressed when I could bend over and put my palms on the floor. The yoga is great for flexibility. Before yoga, I was lucky to reach my fingertips to my ankles.

2016-02-01 7:57 AM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Master
That is where I am right now. I know I have a bit of a gut, but I think a good part of it is due to my flexibility.
2016-02-01 10:10 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Agree with everyone here. Getting a yoga routine works wonders. You'll get more out of it than just flexibility. You'll sleep better (or have tools to deal with insomnia), you'll be sick less often because many of the poses stimulate the glands, it will reduce stress and increase lung capacity. You can do it when you're injured, you can do it if you're overweight, etc. Everyone would benefit from yoga.
2016-02-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Another vote for the Yoga.  I'm about as flexible as dried out tree branch and I constantly have suffered though tight/sore hammies, glutes, and lower back.  I started doing yoga about 2 months or so ago and take at least one sometimes 2 classes a week and I can feel the difference already.  I don't necessarily see that I'm that much more flexible yet, but I have been doing 35 - 50 mile weeks running in my marathon lead up and I haven't as much as felt a twinge in my hammies.  The back and glutes still gets a little tight but nothing like before and the "recovery" time from both is much quicker.

2016-02-05 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Had the first class on Wednesday. Went great the instructor started out giving us a lot of information about breathing and benefits. We started with some basic poses/ postures.
I have been doing the ones I remember every morning and I can feel the difference, my neck muscles, hamstrings, and sciatica feel much better already. There were 6 of us in the class, All of us except two are over 50. one guy is around forty and the other guy is under 30. Seems like a good group. I have known the instructor for about 3 years and he is interested in Tri's as well.
2016-02-05 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Just so there is at least one dissenting opinion...
I don't do yoga because I don't like it. I'm 53 and not very flexible (never have been) but I'm becoming more and more convinced that my lack of flexibility is nothing to be concerned about. I have fewer aches, pains and injuries than almost anyone I know. Nothing seems to be broken so I'm not about to do something I don't enjoy to try and fix non-existent problems.

I'm not discounting the value of yoga for some people - my wife is a yoga teacher and yoga has transformed her life for the better. I'm questioning the idea of doing yoga because you're "supposed to".
Don the curmudgeon

2016-02-14 8:23 PM
in reply to: donw

I have been doing yoga / stretching for about six months. Any suggested type of yoga or channel to look up on google for focusing on hips, IT band, ham strings etc?
2016-05-28 11:37 AM
in reply to: wuaname

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by wuaname

I have been doing yoga / stretching for about six months. Any suggested type of yoga or channel to look up on google for focusing on hips, IT band, ham strings etc?

Look up "yoga with Adriene" channel on YouTube. Lots of videos, and she's good about making the sessions about you, not about getting in a perfect pose or comparing your flexibility with others.

2016-05-28 11:43 AM
in reply to: chunta

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
While I like yoga and think it does work for improving flexibility, that's not my only goal with it. Really using your breath to assist with the poses and transition between poses really helps. Depending on what you do, you can improve flexibility, improve strength to a certain degree, improve posture, and actually focus yourself on the task at hand. I used to do an hour yoga class at the Y once a week, and then went to lift. On that day, I would lift heavier, rpe went way down, reps would go up. Call it meditation, focus, whatever. My point is that depending on your practice and goals, yoga is a good way of accomplishing a lot. You may not podium by just adding it, but I think you will feel better overall.
2016-05-28 1:02 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I make it my goal to do YOGA at least 2x a week. No need for a men's only class, just hop in any class you can. Don't be shy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yoga question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yoga and Tri's

Started by Sassafras
Views: 893 Posts: 9

2005-12-03 6:58 AM possum

Yoga

Started by crusevegas
Views: 478 Posts: 2

2005-11-16 7:53 AM autumn

Yoga in the singapore airport

Started by bootygirl
Views: 910 Posts: 4

2004-12-11 8:01 PM bootygirl

YOGA

Started by viable
Views: 808 Posts: 13

2004-10-25 4:48 PM kimj81

yoga question

Started by Ron
Views: 952 Posts: 9

2003-11-18 9:02 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
comments : 0
This third and final yoga for triathlete sequence is perfect for following up your training day help you feel more focused, aligned, rejuvenated and recovered.

date : November 7, 2007
author : YourYoga
comments : 4
The focus for this first session will be on breathing. Breathing will be the foundation for the more complex and strenuous poses that will support your bodyweight in future yoga poses.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.