General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should we even be doing tri's ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-28 2:54 PM

User image

Subject: Should we even be doing tri's ??
I just started doing triathlon last year after 56 mainly sedentary years. I love everything about it: the increase in my perceived fitness, smaller waistline, as well as the camaraderie and excitement of competition. Also as a gear lover, there is endless opportunities to get the shiny new greatest thing to make me faster. I've gotten fairly serious about it, and have done 2 sprints, an olympic and am training towards several more short course and probably a half ironman for this year.
But I recently ran across a book by this guy Mike Sheridan ("1% Fitness') that seems to shoot down the whole idea of endurance training as being long term beneficial to our bodies. I've read most of this book, and read some of his articles here and there and excerpts of a couple of his other books. They seem to be well researched and I've yet to find any serious rebuttals of his conclusions and recommendations.

Here is a link to an article that summarizes his theory: https://www.t-nation.com/training/cardio-kills

The basic points are: "Research has suggested that free radical damage from long and frequent cardio workouts is especially detrimental to cardiac and skeletal muscle"
and
"The long-term effects of chronically elevated cortisol such as you see in endurance athletes have nearly as detrimental an effect as oxidative stress with respect to disease, showing associations with metabolic syndrome, diabetes, heart disease, depression, and in fact all causes of mortality."

This is the first time I've found anything but gushing praise for triathlon training in general if done slowly and methodically, along with proper nutrition, rest etc.
Just wondering if anyone else out there might have run across this guy, and had any thoughts that might make me think I shouldn't just quit right now and hit the weight room instead of the 3+ hour bike/run brick session I was planning for this weekend....
Now I'm really confused.....

2016-01-28 6:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Should we even be doing tri's ??
I have read excerpts from this and I laughed. I have been working in fitness and health for better part of 20 years now. I had a great deal of time spent in bodybuilding and weight training. Because of the competitive work in bblding, cardio was primarily a warm up and done only for fat cut pre contest.
Triathlon and the development of cardiovascular fitness has made me HEALTHIER in multiple ways. There is NO debating it in my opinion.

Anything taken to a highly competitive obsessive angle will cause issues, that's for sure. I mean, take a close look at the overall health of the obsessive runners who log so many miles without actual concern for other areas of their physical health. They simply look like they're ready to break into pieces.
I could go on and on, but what I wanted to focus on regarding what was mentioned are the free radical damages, cortisol levels and hormonal impacts which are VERY true.

What all these studies and write ups fail to do is ever address the OTHER things that must compliment such endeavors into serious training; such as, just how EFFICIENT is the rest the person takes (both from a workout completely AND in daily sleep/naps - there is where the true cellular repair occurs) - no one ever blames that, they always seem to blame the exercise. How about the necessary balance using resistance training through biomechanical range of motion....a complete necessity to maintaining skeletal muscle strength, ROM, flexibility, elasticity, recovery and injury prevention. In conjuction to the resistance training, how many actually take the time (and $) to get frequent massage? and periodically ice down to reduce over inflammation, and epsom soak for enhanced circulation and recovery? These factor in HIGHLY in terms of the long term effects don't they. But nah, simply blame the exercise.

*And, also, this area, which, even in my conversations on this forum, seems to be a highly overlooked area: Herbal, and hormonal, supplemental support for the ever aging human body! Cortisol is a NATURAL and necessary hormone, BUT , in excessive production, causes much biological harm. *See adequate sleep and rest (even meditation) - and there are BONIFIED herbs that directly impact and help regulate cortisol levels, such as, rhodiola, holy basil(Tulsi), to mention two of them. There are a myriad of adaptogenic herbs and natural ways of supporting the adrenal glands that stave off fatigue and cellular degradation; ashwaghanda and astragalus to mention a pair. There have been numerous studies on proper antioxidants that healthfully and effectively combat the negative effects of free radical damage; NAC, Aplha Lipoic Acid and Ubiquinol to mention a few.
Skeletal muscle support via use of amino acids help with the structures of protein, both in free form and branched chain.

All this and more, I can talk about this aspect all day long lol (including male and female hormonal support needs), or a person can simply eat chips, chocolate and smoke cigarettes, since they all address cortisol issues and raise endorphins right?

Edited by TJHammer 2016-01-28 6:19 PM
2016-02-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

Massachusetts
What it really comes down to is do you want to be sitting in rocking chair when you're old saying I wish I did this I wish I did that and so on. who cares what happens to the body at the end.

" Your life is made of two dates and a dash. Make the most of the dash "
2016-02-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: ed4000

User image

Temperance, Michigan
Great topic, but simply put I can rest when I am dead. Life is short and if you enjoy Triathlons let it rip and live life to the fullest!!!
2016-02-27 5:11 AM
in reply to: Bocrunning

Yes,

You should try this for sure!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should we even be doing tri's ?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hip mri results - am I done?

Started by reid15
Views: 2081 Posts: 2

2013-07-01 10:25 AM Socks

pulled groin again what am I doing wrong

Started by jasonball
Views: 1149 Posts: 2

2010-10-05 8:26 AM Nipper

Am I done...forever? I feel I'm losing myself.

Started by greenmtnman
Views: 1463 Posts: 12

2009-03-30 6:36 PM Offthegrid

Doing your first Tri...and had cancer?

Started by littlereal
Views: 1520 Posts: 8

2008-09-28 9:36 AM LaurenSU02

Asthma - Should I even Tri?

Started by eberulf
Views: 686 Posts: 3

2007-08-01 9:10 PM BbMoozer