General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I went back to Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-29 9:08 AM

User image

Subject: So I went back to

the pool for the first time in about 4 months.  First extended break I've taken from swimming in about 7 years.  While I needed a break from the pool what a mistake that was, ouch.  It was only supposed to be about a month lay off.   I'm out of shape.  Two slow 1100 yd swims in and I have a ways to go to get back in shape.  Just a reminder to myself to not do this again!

2016-01-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Subject: RE: So I went back to
Yeah, I took just six weeks off in the fall. I'm at 8 weeks back in the pool, and I still have quite recovered my stamina. Swam a meet last weekend, was 0.5 seconds and 1.0 seconds slower in the 50 and 100 free than I was in October, but 5.5 seconds slower in the 200. I didn't even try the 500 free.
2016-01-29 9:58 AM

User image

For the last couple years, I have been taking about two-3 months off from swimming at the end of the year. I get so burned out doing laps. It takes a little bit to get back to where I left off, but it beats burning out and quitting altogether.
2016-01-29 10:26 AM

User image

Pro

the general rule is:  it takes you about as long to get back into shape, as it took you to get out of shape.  So- in 3-4 months, you'll be back where you were.  If that's what it took to give you a mental and life break from the monotony, and you are starting back with a renewed enthusiasm- then it will all have been worth it.

it's the journey, not the destination.

2016-01-29 10:55 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Gary - I'm not looking at the pace clock for another week

Happyscientist - The break was good but just not as short as planned.  I really just wanted a few weeks off but then realized it was pretty relaxing running or biking in the morning and then having a beer with dinner instead of leaving for the pool at night. 

2016-01-29 10:56 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Originally posted by morey000

the general rule is:  it takes you about as long to get back into shape, as it took you to get out of shape.  So- in 3-4 months, you'll be back where you were.  If that's what it took to give you a mental and life break from the monotony, and you are starting back with a renewed enthusiasm- then it will all have been worth it.

I will lose my mind if it takes me 3-4 months to get back in shape.  My goal is 3-4 weeks but I may be a bit over optimistic here.

2016-01-29 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I will lose my mind if it takes me 3-4 months to get back in shape.  My goal is 3-4 weeks but I may be a bit over optimistic here.

I did not swim from end of August til December. It only took about 3 weeks of twice a week to get back to where I was. Of coarse that is with a masters team so it's more regimented and focused than when I would just swim on my own. last several years I just swam on my own and was satisfied with finishes in the FOP. Since a team started local, I want to see if I can get back to being a fast swimmer. After 8 weeks of twice a week I am faster than I was in the summer. Summer I was doing sets of 100's at 1:18-1:20, on Tuesday I did a set of 100's at 1:09-1:10.

Edited by mike761 2016-01-29 12:02 PM
2016-01-29 1:09 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

I did not swim from end of August til December. It only took about 3 weeks of twice a week to get back to where I was. Of coarse that is with a masters team so it's more regimented and focused than when I would just swim on my own. last several years I just swam on my own and was satisfied with finishes in the FOP. Since a team started local, I want to see if I can get back to being a fast swimmer. After 8 weeks of twice a week I am faster than I was in the summer. Summer I was doing sets of 100's at 1:18-1:20, on Tuesday I did a set of 100's at 1:09-1:10.

I feel like I tailed off a lot last year with the swim.  Part of it was focusing on run but part was just going through the motions.  My goal is a few weeks to get back in shape and then when I feel respectable about myself to get to masters at least once a week.  I spoke with a guy I swim with last night.  Haven't seen him since the last time I was at the pool.  Last we spoke we agreed to start going to masters together.  He went, I sat on the couch.  It was funny until I got in the water.

2016-01-29 2:27 PM

User image

New user
What prompted the break and how did you get reinvigorated to get back in the pool? I still haven't found the motivation to get back into swimming.

After the 2014 tri season I became disenchanted with swimming and decided to take a break. I entered the 2015 tri season without having been near a swimming pool in 9 months. Turns out I was only 30 seconds slower than the year before on the same course (lake swim, sprint distance) when I had been swimming with some regularity. I'm not sure what that says about my training plan when I was swimming! While the time wasn't much different, the residual fatigue caught up to me as my run time was much slower off of a similar bike time. In any event, I still haven't found the motivation to get back in the pool. I know improving in swimming takes a lot of work and I have no problems with self-motivation. Swimming just isn't fun for me anymore the way cycling and running are.
2016-01-29 2:56 PM
in reply to: swimbikerun81

User image

Originally posted by swimbikerun81 What prompted the break and how did you get reinvigorated to get back in the pool? I still haven't found the motivation to get back into swimming

. Swimming just isn't fun for me anymore the way cycling and running are.

Just burned out and bored.  I know the feeling fairly well and knew I was just going through the motions.  I started swimming at age 5, at least that was the first team.  By HS I wanted a break.  In HS the program I was in we swam 363 days a year.  Someone just reminded me about New Years Day practice = 25K yds.  By college I was cooked.  It was the same feeling.  What got me motivated other then I have already signed up for 5 races this year which you would think would do it, nothing really.  I just decided to get to the pool last night and jump in.  I get weird about breaks from swimming and running.  After only a few skipped sessions I feel like I forgot how to do it and get nervous about getting back to what I'd been skipping. 

The other thing is I got really tired of driving to the pool.  I could walk outside and run or put the bike on the trainer.  Where as swimming was about a 2 hr commitment between driving, changing, swimming and then getting home.  So I'd leave at 8 and usually get home around 10.  I really needed a break from that.  I enjoy the pool more then anything.  I just couldn't get there for awhile.

2016-01-29 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Ugh.. Im right there with you.
I'm about 6 or 7 swims back in the pool since my last race in September.

I feel like a dump truck in the water. But it feels my form is much better as of this morning !

But then again, in 2014, a PE damaged one lung, a bike crash damaged the other lung, among other things like a broken clavicle.

Last year when I was OWS swimming, it felt like I was pulling left, and the entire left side felt imbalanced.

Hopefully I can get my stamina and speed up to a 47 HIM swim ..

2016-01-29 3:07 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

"Hopefully I can get my stamina and speed up to a 47 HIM swim .."

How long before this race ?

2016-01-29 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
The race is June 5 I think.. Maybe June 6 - IM Raleigh 70.3
2016-01-29 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY

Edited by louamerica 2016-01-29 3:47 PM
2016-01-29 8:19 PM

That has not been my experience in the slightest. I don't swim in the fall, just run. When I pick back up in the winter after four months off, it takes about a month and a half to get back all the fitness.
2016-01-30 6:45 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh. I've been swimming since I was a really small kid, but it's the one sport I try not to take a break from year-round. With running and biking, I may lose some fitness, but I feel pretty normal within a few days back as far as form and comfort. With swimming, I just hate that awkward, heavy feeling I always get if I haven't been in the water for a while. Even after missing a week, it takes me a few sessions to get back into it. I pretty much swim at least twice a week every week, even if it's just some leisurely laps in a little hotel pool (and I tend to choose hotels with nice big pools or near good OWS!) unless there's some compelling health-related reason not to, or I have no access to a pool or safe open water.

Although I do recall that as a teenager, I rarely swam during cross-country and track season (fall and spring) and hardly anyone else did either. I guess our winter and summer season coaches knew how to whip us back into shape.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So I went back to Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm in...going back to Lake Placid for IMLP '14

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1489 Posts: 6

2013-07-27 4:45 PM strikyr

How soon after strep throat did you go back to training

Started by jillian_o
Views: 2990 Posts: 3

2013-06-09 6:19 PM jillian_o

Transitioned to Newtons--No going back now??

Started by tigers75
Views: 1154 Posts: 6

2012-11-16 2:59 PM taylorz13

Should I have gone back and said something? Pages: 1 2

Started by RockTractor
Views: 2056 Posts: 41

2010-08-02 9:01 PM ClassicTRI

Need help: motivation after baby and going back to work

Started by stormjen
Views: 890 Posts: 9

2007-11-26 6:42 AM BrianO
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Because I'm not that fast going slow is, well, really slow - especially when I'm trying to train by heart rate. It feels like I'm going backwards. Is this normal?

date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors
date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.