General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Long time listener, first time caller Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-01 10:40 AM

Subject: Long time listener, first time caller
I thought I'd sign up and participate in some discussions.

Long story short, 38 year old male, 6' tall. The only reason I mentioned the height is because of this:

As late 2011, I was pushing 300 lbs (thus the height comment for size reference). Long story short, began with weights then moved on to road cycling. By 2013, I was down to 165'ish lbs. Kept road cycling until late 2015 when a friend convinced me to begin training for my first sprint tri this June (June 2016). It's an oddball set having 400yd swim (pool), 15 mi on the bike and a 5K.

Began training in Sept but two surgeries (one on Nov 3, the other Dec 15th) kind of set me back a bit. I've been back in the swing of things a few weeks now. Obviously, the bike is no big thing to me, I can do 15 miles with my eyes closed (well, not literally but you get the point).

The swim has gone much better, I have my 400 to just under 9 min swimming freestyle. I've been doing 1000yd sessions for the time being.

The run...well, that's a different story. I' struggling in that dept. I'm currently doing 22-24min 2 mile sets and I'm struggling to make that time. My HR is still high and I have to walk to keep it controllable. In the end, if I can simply get the 5K done in 30 min...I'd be happy.

Not that I put a ton of importance in this stuff, but it comes up from time to time so here's a list of my stuff:

-I do not have an aero bike at the moment, I do have a nicely outfitted 2012 Specialized Tarmac that will work just fine until I decide this is where I want to head. I have a Garmin 500 with HR/CAD/SPD sensors. I've been professionally fit to the bike and even though the riding position isn't ideal for tri...it will do for now.

-I went and was fitted properly on some decent running shoes, landed up with a pair of Saucony Guide 8's.

-I'm running a Garmin 910xt for the swim and with a footpod/HR meter for the run. It's been a very helpful tool, especially with the swim.

Anyway...that's it for now.

2016-02-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: typetwelve

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Long time listener, first time caller
welcome!
2016-02-05 6:35 PM

User image

Welcome!

You have plenty of time to get ready for a Sprint in June. Should be a lot of fun.

2016-02-07 5:26 AM

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Welcome aboard. You struggle on the run much like I do. I have to work my arse off for every sec/mile, so I feel your pain. Not sure what your HR is like but if I do a hard 10k, my average HR can be as high as 170bpm, with a max of 189.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a tri specific bike, one that fits well is more important. Unless your stepping up to half and full IM I really don't think the aero position is that beneficial. I find a road bike position is way more comfortable for me.

Good luck with the training and the upcoming season.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Long time listener, first time caller Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

long time listener, first time caller

Started by bryathlete
Views: 1067 Posts: 4

2016-02-07 5:31 AM novaboy

first time caller, long time listener

Started by yardleybates
Views: 706 Posts: 2

2011-03-30 12:11 PM shellback1998

First Time, Long Time!

Started by bryno
Views: 713 Posts: 4

2005-04-14 8:16 AM athena

long time reader first time posting

Started by Rockland
Views: 838 Posts: 9

2004-09-06 8:28 AM Rockland

long time looker, first time poster

Started by rfadely
Views: 2025 Posts: 18

2004-01-31 7:01 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?
date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.

date : February 7, 2008
author : javierg
comments : 3
New to triathlons? Don't know what equipment is really necessary? This article describes the basic swim, bike and run equipment needs for first time triathletes.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
comments : 0
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.