General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim training fins Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-01 2:33 PM

Subject: swim training fins
Hi,
I am not a very experienced swimmer, and I want to improve leg strength as part of my development. Would anyone care to recommend a certain brand or model of swim training fin? I don't want something as big as a scuba fin, as I want to be able to continue to work on my stroke too as I use them. I was on Amazon, and it seemed like there are a bazillon brands and types.
So, any thoughts on some good overall training fins?
Thanks!
Barry

2016-02-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: swim training fins
What (specifically) are you trying to accomplish?
2016-02-01 3:51 PM
in reply to: nc452010

I have been going through the site, and as I look at different posts from previous threads (I tried to search these, but they didn't pop up until I posted this new one) I am finding that there is easily just as many folks who do not like them as like them. Maybe I need to reconsider. I was going on the assumption, perhaps wrongly, that they help build leg strength better than using a kickboard. Meaning, don't use a board if using fins. Also, that the fins help you get a feel for proper position in the water. These were/are my needs.
2016-02-01 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I like Speedo Trialon fins. 

Mark

2016-02-01 6:15 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

A very long time ago on this site it was mentioned that Finis Zoomers Blue were a very good choice for beginner swimmers so I went ahead and bought a pair.  Today Finis still has Zoomers but now only with one stiffness option, the Gold.  I like the zoomers because they are small in size but still helps a lot with your kick.

http://www.finisinc.com/Zoomer-Gold

2016-02-02 8:25 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
My .02$ says that if you really want to improve your leg strength and kick, don't even think about fins. Kick barefoot and keep up with those tri guys/gals that use fins. That will get you strong fast!

2016-02-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by pwoolson

My .02$ says that if you really want to improve your leg strength and kick, don't even think about fins. Kick barefoot and keep up with those tri guys/gals that use fins. That will get you strong fast!

I agree, most who use fins use them way too much. People would be better off learning to kick bare foot and do kick sets that way as well. I don't know if any of our BT coaches have data on it or not, but I do not believe that you will get any stronger(faster) kicking with the fins vs without.
2016-02-02 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by pwoolson My .02$ says that if you really want to improve your leg strength and kick, don't even think about fins. Kick barefoot and keep up with those tri guys/gals that use fins. That will get you strong fast!
I agree, most who use fins use them way too much. People would be better off learning to kick bare foot and do kick sets that way as well. I don't know if any of our BT coaches have data on it or not, but I do not believe that you will get any stronger(faster) kicking with the fins vs without.

Fins are useful if used as a tool, rather than as a crutch.  We use them sparingly in our masters group, always for a specific purpose.  Our coach doesn't like to use them too much for freestyle, and when we do she adjusts our send off times accordingly.

Fins with larger blades can be good for strength-building since they provide more resistance.  Dolphin kicking on your back in streamline with fins is one of my favorite kick sets.  A great ab workout.

One of the more unique drills we do is "weak arm paddle / strong side fin", intended to keep you balanced when working on your weak side pull.  

I'll also use them when working on my butterfly pull.   

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2016-02-02 9:23 AM
2016-02-02 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

A few years ago I used to coach 8-12 years for a local club team. Very rarely did I use fins for our workouts. They can be used as a coaching tool, but my philosophy was that if you don't get to use them in competition why would you use them extensively in practice. Unsupervised/uncoached I think there is the potential for them to be overused with little benefit.

With that said, fins are fun. Who doesn't like swimming artificially fast while still using the same amount of effort?

2016-02-02 9:33 AM

Originally posted by Burchib

Hi,
I am not a very experienced swimmer, and I want to improve leg strength as part of my development. Would anyone care to recommend a certain brand or model of swim training fin? I don't want something as big as a scuba fin, as I want to be able to continue to work on my stroke too as I use them. I was on Amazon, and it seemed like there are a bazillon brands and types.
So, any thoughts on some good overall training fins?
Thanks!
Barry

This isn't advice, rather just a thought that maybe one of the more knowledgeable swimmers/coaches on the board could confirm or refute: as a self proclaimed inexperienced swimmer, leg strength may be something that should take a back seat to body position, catch & pull, and other technique related aspects of stroke. With swimming technique can get you pretty far, and also core strength. If you had 60 minutes at a time to swim I wonder how much of that time a coach would allocate to kick sets for a triathlete who is new to swimming. I don't know the answer, just wondering aloud.
2016-02-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: Gatornate

Great feedback everyone. Thanks. I forgot to mention that as I was reading through several drills, they recommend fins to help with the execution of a drill. I can totally see the logic behind learning technique without them. I don't want to get "hooked" on the darn things. I already sort of fight that when using the pull buoy. So, for now, I think I will forego them and keep working on my technique first and general swim fitness.

This is a great reason why I like this site so much. People here don't have a vested interest in a product, nor are they trying to sell something. I always value all the feedback I get. Thanks!

2016-02-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by GatornateThis isn't advice, rather just a thought that maybe one of the more knowledgeable swimmers/coaches on the board could confirm or refute: as a self proclaimed inexperienced swimmer, leg strength may be something that should take a back seat to body position, catch & pull, and other technique related aspects of stroke. With swimming technique can get you pretty far, and also core strength. If you had 60 minutes at a time to swim I wonder how much of that time a coach would allocate to kick sets for a triathlete who is new to swimming. I don't know the answer, just wondering aloud.

Our masters coach has us kick everyday at practice (usually without fins). Off the top of my head I'd have to say somewhere 15-20%, though some days we do some bigger focused kick sets.  Most of the time we'll do pull/kick/swim or kick/swim sets as part of our overall warm up set.

Different coaches have different philosophies about technique and there's probably not a "one size fits all" answer.  Our coach prioritizes propulsion (catch & pull and kicking) over body position & drag reduction.  That compared to TI-based technique which is more centered around body position and drag reduction.      

Mark  

2016-02-02 12:31 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
ANY (and I mean ANY) drill that calls for fins can be done without. I'm living proof of that. I used to use them all the time simply because I thought that's what was done. My coach took them away which SUCKED for awhile. 200 and I was cooked! Now, after a couple of years, I can keep up with most of my masters whilst they are wearing fins.
And as the post above yours said (I can't figure out how to quote two people) it will do a LOT for your form if you develop a strong kick without fins. It will get your legs higher and you'll be more hyrdro dynamic.
Give it a try. I can almost guarantee you won't be sorry. And you'll save yourself a few bucks to boot.
2016-02-02 2:34 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by GatornateThis isn't advice, rather just a thought that maybe one of the more knowledgeable swimmers/coaches on the board could confirm or refute: as a self proclaimed inexperienced swimmer, leg strength may be something that should take a back seat to body position, catch & pull, and other technique related aspects of stroke. With swimming technique can get you pretty far, and also core strength. If you had 60 minutes at a time to swim I wonder how much of that time a coach would allocate to kick sets for a triathlete who is new to swimming. I don't know the answer, just wondering aloud.

Our masters coach has us kick everyday at practice (usually without fins). Off the top of my head I'd have to say somewhere 15-20%, though some days we do some bigger focused kick sets.  Most of the time we'll do pull/kick/swim or kick/swim sets as part of our overall warm up set.

Different coaches have different philosophies about technique and there's probably not a "one size fits all" answer.  Our coach prioritizes propulsion (catch & pull and kicking) over body position & drag reduction.  That compared to TI-based technique which is more centered around body position and drag reduction.      

Mark  

What you described sounds exactly like the masters group I swam with last year. My experience with masters swimming is that it is going to make you a stronger overall swimmer, not just front crawl. The workouts are hard. They challenge you to do things like you described and they require you to push yourself in all strokes. My comment was more geared toward the original poster who sounds like he's a new swimmer. I think if I was trying to find my way in the water so I could navigate a 500 m swim leg of a sprint tri, I'd be disappointed if a third of my time was spent on kick drills.

You mentioned TI. I personally don't swim that way. I kick like you'd see swimmers kick in competition. However, I think there is some value in TI training principles for people that struggle early on in the learning process. It's not for everyone, but if someone was getting gassed trying to swim 25 yards, or if they were struggling getting their breathing patterns down correctly while trying to maintain a correct kick beat then a TI approach may be a nice gateway to get them through that stage of swimming.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim training fins Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fins or No Fins? (Newbie Question)

Started by angewinte
Views: 1531 Posts: 20

2014-03-04 5:11 PM RazorTri

To Fin or not to Fin, that is the question

Started by tuwood
Views: 1899 Posts: 22

2012-03-10 7:51 PM sand101

swimming with fins during training? Pages: 1 2

Started by fattyboombalatty
Views: 1886 Posts: 27

2006-02-02 10:26 AM vortmax

Swim fins for training?

Started by umbach
Views: 1752 Posts: 12

2004-02-14 11:33 PM evrunning

fins for swim drills

Started by cameronw
Views: 1285 Posts: 15

2004-01-19 5:33 AM cameronw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.

date : December 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on swimming faster, sinking during the shark fin drill, benefit of a wetsuit and breathing exercises to help swimming.
date : January 22, 2009
comments : 1
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.

date : February 11, 2008
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?
date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : September 11, 2007
Discussions on pull, hand entry angle, drill for bending the elbow, pool vs lake swim training, the best fins and balance drills.
date : September 4, 2006
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : August 31, 2004
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.