General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Discrepancy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-02 9:23 AM

Subject: Power Discrepancy?
Hi all. Lucky to get a Wahoo Kickr Snap for Christmas and have a good few weeks on it. I'm consistently seeing a difference of @ 10-15 watts on my Garmin 500 vs the Wahoo app. anyone experience the same? I've done a number of spin downs to calibrate but still seem to have the variance.

Note i'll have to formally intro myself in the intros forum as I'm new to the forum and excited to dive into the wealth of knowledge.

2016-02-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: PRHTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Power Discrepancy?

Are you seeing the variance as you ride or in the summary at the end?

2016-02-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: PRHTri

User image

I would troubleshoot in this order.

1.  Make sure both devices are recording power in the same way.  You want every second recording, not smart recording on the garmin.  I'm not sure what other options the Wahoo app has, but 1 second recording is always best for data integrity and comparison.

2.  Look at the files side by side without any smoothing.  If one head unit is reading 10-15 watts low, I would suspect that one unit is suffering from intermittent drop outs.  For example, if you are putting out 200 watts constantly for 10 seconds, the file should read 200 ten consecutive seconds and report an average of 200.  But if for one second the signal drops and reports a 0, then your average suddenly drops to 180.

3.  I am guessing that the wahoo app is connecting via bluetooth and the garmin must be using ANT+.  If this is the case, that's two different means of communication which could help explain #2.  It's not to say that both shouldn't work at the same time, but you may have some interference in the house (such as home wifi, apple tv, etc.) that is interfering with one signal and not the other.  You may want to try unplugging some of your other home devices to see if that helps pinpoint the issue.

4.  Try mounting or resting the head units closer or farther away from the Kickr to see if that helps explain #2 and #3.

5.  Borrow another head unit, phone, dongle, etc. and test that as another variable.  Maybe it's possible you just have a faulty head unit.

2016-02-02 1:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Great suggestions. Good thought re: Ant+ transmission vs Bluetooth. I'll give a shot.
thanks for the help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Discrepancy? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin Calorie discrepancies

Started by Cavemann
Views: 493 Posts: 2

2011-04-29 2:47 PM Davisjl

Confusing discrepancies btw road and computrainer

Started by cam224
Views: 707 Posts: 5

2011-04-08 10:59 AM cam224

Treadmill Running Discrepancies?

Started by rebersole2
Views: 1168 Posts: 6

2010-05-20 2:31 PM rebersole2

HR vs Perceived Effort..Discrepancy???

Started by Makukula
Views: 1515 Posts: 13

2008-02-15 12:43 AM AdventureBear

running injuries and leg length discrepancy?

Started by jesswah
Views: 2605 Posts: 10

2007-12-29 9:40 PM jesswah
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.