General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-02-04 10:44 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Doping
Not to trudge this old issue up again, but it crept back in my head recently and I'm having a hard time getting it out. It started a week or two ago when I realized I never actually looked back at the official results from B2B half ironman. I thought when I had read the scrolling results at the end of the race that I was 6th or 7th in my AG by counting names going by (although I was looking after two post-race beers), but looking at the official results I was 4th. So I missed the podium by one spot. Not a huge deal, but given the fact that that was the last year that B2B was actually B2B, how stinking cool would it have been to walk away with a piece of hardware! That would have been a hell of a piece of memorabilia. Then of course the frustration of getting that close sets in, and you start looking back at the race in the "what if" scenarios. Then it pops into my head that there was a study that showed that like, 20% of age groupers are dopers. I'm assuming they aren't MOP or BOP folks either. Even though there weren't that many legit folks at B2B past year (or I wouldn't have finished so high with a 4:55) it still sticks in my head. If even one of the guys above me cheated, that's all it would take. It's just frustrating I guess. Maybe it's just feeding a bigger crisis of faith I've been having recently regarding larger triathlon aspirations, but the idea of that many people cheating....does it ever make you just throw your arms up and say eff it? Not the sport as a whole, but any thoughts of being competitive? Or is that just some subconscious excuse? Are there really that many people cheating at the AG level?

Edit: by "competative" I'm talking at an AG level. I'm not talking elite or pro or anything like that.

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-04 10:46 AM

2016-02-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Subject: RE: Doping
I hear your sentiment but it is my belief that many more AGs do use substances that would result in a ban than we would like to believe. Intentional and a few non intentional (no excuse as one should be aware of the list). I also believe it is not just the top 5-10% either as it trickles through all levels. It will not go away and no matter how hard they try. It is just a fact that we must live with and in the grand scheme of things isn't going to change things for me or most others.
2016-02-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Well, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you insinuating that one of the people who finished above you was/is doping? Whether the answer is yes or no....you sure dropped that seed.

Edited by nc452010 2016-02-04 11:07 AM
2016-02-04 11:09 AM

User image

Exton, PA
If you win you get a medal, that's it. So in the grand scheme of things who cares.

Also, anyone who beats me is most likely doping

I have been in 4th place many times!
2016-02-04 11:12 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by nc452010

Well, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you insinuating that one of the people who finished above you was/is doping? Whether the answer is yes or no....you sure dropped that seed.

I'm saying statistically it's a good probability based upon recent studies. Probability is the key word, I'm not calling out any of those three guys, I don't know them from Adam. They could all be clean for all I know, but it got me thinking and in the bigger scheme of things; you, me and anyone else that races clean is statistically competing with a heck of a lot of people that don't. Maybe not those three guys, but you and I have been beat by dopers at some point (and likely at every race), that's for sure. This was just the thing that made me think of it. The question is, does this frustrate anyone else?

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-04 11:13 AM
2016-02-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SHTri I hear your sentiment but it is my belief that many more AGs do use substances that would result in a ban than we would like to believe. Intentional and a few non intentional (no excuse as one should be aware of the list). I also believe it is not just the top 5-10% either as it trickles through all levels. It will not go away and no matter how hard they try. It is just a fact that we must live with and in the grand scheme of things isn't going to change things for me or most others.

I gotta tell you.....I wouldn't tell anyone if I was taking any banned substance.  The next triathlon I do will be like all the others I have done since I am older......for fun.  I'm not taking any awards, and I'm not worrying about what anyone thinks.  It's recreation.  I don't take anything that is banned that I know of, and I don't care who does as long as they are just having some fun and getting in shape.

AG'ers doping to gain some kind of advantage will always remain one of the funniest, most ridiculous things I can think of. 

2016-02-04 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by nc452010

I'm saying statistically it's a good probability based upon recent studies. Probability is the key word, I'm not calling out any of those three guys, I don't know them from Adam. They could all be clean for all I know, but it got me thinking and in the bigger scheme of things; you, me and anyone else that races clean is statistically competing with a heck of a lot of people that don't. Maybe not those three guys, but you and I have been beat by dopers at some point (and likely at every race), that's for sure. This was just the thing that made me think of it. The question is, does this frustrate anyone else?

I'm 51 yrs, old. I don't have aspirations to be a national AG contender. If I did.......yes....it would frustrate me. My guess is you beat the snot out of some dopers. Did you get beat by one (in your AG)? No one knows (except the ones who beat you). I don't know what to tell you - re: how frustrating that is. It's too expensive to test everyone (even the winners). So, we either accept it the way it is.......or we don't compete.

Like I said, I understand it could be frustrating to a large contingency.

Edited by nc452010 2016-02-04 11:21 AM
2016-02-04 11:31 AM
in reply to: #5165323

User image

Katy, Texas
I am more of venting than anything. This doesn't come naturally for me so I have to work at it every day. There were something like 1000 people in that race of which 35 beat me, my goal is to make that number go down. That's what gets me going. The idea that I am cranking every day While others are cheating, drives me nuts. It just blows the wind out of my sails sometimes.
2016-02-04 11:36 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mike761 If you win you get a medal, that's it. So in the grand scheme of things who cares. Also, anyone who beats me is most likely doping I have been in 4th place many times!

Yeah haha I second this. Who cares. 

To the OP, Unless one is truly competitive, as in competing to win it's all about what you are getting out of it personally anyway. Don't let what the others are doing around you take away from the satisfaction the sport gives you. You can't control what others around you do. Also, you don't actually know any of those people are cheating and until you do, it seems like a total waste of time getting upset about it. I'm not saying that age groupers should cheat. It's just really ridiculous as LB said, humorous even.  All for the glory of a stupid metal the race company bought in bulk from the internet for 1.87 that you will probably store in your junk drawer for 5 or 6 years before the real dilemma comes: whether you should toss it or keep it for another 5 or 6 years. Or hang it on your Christmas tree. 

2016-02-04 11:38 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 3mar I am more of venting than anything. This doesn't come naturally for me so I have to work at it every day. There were something like 1000 people in that race of which 35 beat me, my goal is to make that number go down. That's what gets me going. The idea that I am cranking every day While others are cheating, drives me nuts. It just blows the wind out of my sails sometimes.

I'd just try and flip that. Use it to motivate you. You will move up that rank because of the hard work you put in DESPITE others who may or may not be cheating. You've only got so much energy and wasting it on things you can't control is just inefficient 

2016-02-04 11:58 AM

Sarasota, Florida
I think my swimming skills are more discouraging to me!
I looked into the triathlete as a job possibility and it looked very bleak.
Add in the high suspicions and I realized this is just a fun hobby to compete against my own PRs.
Given the first 2 reasons, dopers don't bother me much plus I read it increases risk of stroke.
If I was a talented triathlete then yeah it would bother me but then there is the altitude alternative?
Haven't even bothered researching it.

2016-02-04 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I am more of venting than anything. This doesn't come naturally for me so I have to work at it every day. There were something like 1000 people in that race of which 35 beat me, my goal is to make that number go down. That's what gets me going. The idea that I am cranking every day While others are cheating, drives me nuts. It just blows the wind out of my sails sometimes.

I played baseball in college. When I got out (a few years out), I played some pretty seriously competitive softball (like....10 diff. states/yr.....flying to tournaments and such). I knew people who doped. A lot of them were making some pretty serious money, playing softball. I also knew some guys who were doping who had very limited skills (even while they were doping). If I'd wanted to dope, I could have. None of that kind of life interested me, and no one in the association ranks cared enough to implement testing.

I don't have any reason to believe triathlon's not the same way, but I have no basis for that (other than my experiences with another sport). I don't personally KNOW that anyone I train with is a doper.
2016-02-04 1:03 PM
in reply to: #5165347

User image

Katy, Texas
Let's take a step back here guys...this is triathlon we're talking about. MOP AGers, FOP AGers, elite AGers, junior elite, elite and the LARGE majority of pros are fighting for no more net gain than a hunk of metal. This isn't football, baseball, or heck, even rugby. To say that a MOP AGer using dope is laughable but a junior elite isn't is a joke. What, is it the million dollar prize purses at the junior elite events? Lmao. Or maybe the elite AGr is more justified for the fast cars and faster women that come with KQ haha. Ok, so maybe it's at least understandable for the pros, you know because, I mean, even the bench warmers are making $500k a year...lol. Aside from the very very few who are A winning a lot, B good looking and C good at social media, there aren't millions at stake for any of us, from MOP to elite to pro. We're all fighting for that hunk of metal and not one group is more justified in either using, or being frustrated by competitors cheating than any other. This isn't the NFL, it's triathlon.
2016-02-04 1:29 PM

User image

Anyone ever tell you that you think too much?  

2016-02-04 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Not to trudge this old issue up again, but it crept back in my head recently and I'm having a hard time getting it out. It started a week or two ago when I realized I never actually looked back at the official results from B2B half ironman. I thought when I had read the scrolling results at the end of the race that I was 6th or 7th in my AG by counting names going by (although I was looking after two post-race beers), but looking at the official results I was 4th. So I missed the podium by one spot. Not a huge deal, but given the fact that that was the last year that B2B was actually B2B, how stinking cool would it have been to walk away with a piece of hardware! That would have been a hell of a piece of memorabilia. Then of course the frustration of getting that close sets in, and you start looking back at the race in the "what if" scenarios. Then it pops into my head that there was a study that showed that like, 20% of age groupers are dopers. I'm assuming they aren't MOP or BOP folks either. Even though there weren't that many legit folks at B2B past year (or I wouldn't have finished so high with a 4:55) it still sticks in my head. If even one of the guys above me cheated, that's all it would take. It's just frustrating I guess. Maybe it's just feeding a bigger crisis of faith I've been having recently regarding larger triathlon aspirations, but the idea of that many people cheating....does it ever make you just throw your arms up and say eff it? Not the sport as a whole, but any thoughts of being competitive? Or is that just some subconscious excuse? Are there really that many people cheating at the AG level?

Edit: by "competative" I'm talking at an AG level. I'm not talking elite or pro or anything like that.

The "study" was a survey. No actual testing took place, athletes gave what "PED" they took. Part of what was termed as a PED was caffeine and various other LEGAL substances. Coffee has caffeine, I drink coffee race morning as do many other athletes. We are also all "dopers" according to the GERMAN study, limited to GERMAN triathlons.

My question to you, do you drink coffee race morning? You're a doper too

Edited by bcagle25 2016-02-04 1:33 PM
2016-02-04 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
doping is alive and real in triathlon. I'd say your largest demographic of them are men 30+, a good number of them not even aware they are breaking any rules. But there are the malicious (and I'm not saying lack of education to the rules is a valid excuse) ones as well. *cough* Kevin Moats *cough*

Want to see how bad this kind of stuff is in amateur ranks? Go to your local bike race/omnium/stage race that the word gets out that there will be testing going on... then compare the sign up sheet to the start sheet. Lots of sick folk in that DNS list huh... Think the problem doesn't extend to triathlon?

Hell guys I knew in college took steroids because they thought it would get them laid more... don't tell me a shiny piece of metal and 10 seconds on a wooden step isn't motivation enough.

Heck, motor doping would be almost unbelievably easy to sneak through a triathlon, and you can buy one of those for a few grand.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2016-02-04 1:35 PM

2016-02-04 1:54 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Leegoocrap  Want to see how bad this kind of stuff is in amateur ranks? Go to your local bike race/omnium/stage race that the word gets out that there will be testing going on... then compare the sign up sheet to the start sheet. Lots of sick folk in that DNS list huh...

I got myself a new strategy!

2016-02-04 2:11 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar Let's take a step back here guys...this is triathlon we're talking about. MOP AGers, FOP AGers, elite AGers, junior elite, elite and the LARGE majority of pros are fighting for no more net gain than a hunk of metal. This isn't football, baseball, or heck, even rugby. To say that a MOP AGer using dope is laughable but a junior elite isn't is a joke. What, is it the million dollar prize purses at the junior elite events? Lmao. Or maybe the elite AGr is more justified for the fast cars and faster women that come with KQ haha. Ok, so maybe it's at least understandable for the pros, you know because, I mean, even the bench warmers are making $500k a year...lol. Aside from the very very few who are A winning a lot, B good looking and C good at social media, there aren't millions at stake for any of us, from MOP to elite to pro. We're all fighting for that hunk of metal and not one group is more justified in either using, or being frustrated by competitors cheating than any other. This isn't the NFL, it's triathlon.

I can't speak above the Jr. Elite level....but since you brought it up.  Free college....that's what being near the top at that level got him.  Yes, his HS times are a big part.......but competing at the top at the national/international level got him a full ride.  It's track and field/XC.....not football.  Full rides are scarce.

Secondly....being near the top at that level means you get paid expenses for the races you attend.  You get invited to the Olympic training center for a couple of camps.  You can get race trips to Europe, Canada, Mexico, etc......all paid.  Yeah, there is plenty of incentive to dope to get ahead.

Third - you don't just enter international ITU events as an elite and automatically race.  You have to get points by racing and finishing well.  It's a process.  My kid has one main goal in triathlon......to race in a WTS event.  Once that happens then he'll see what he can make out of it.  But yeah, more likely he'll try to have some kind of a career in Europe running or cycling for a few years.....because, as you say, it pays better.

So yeah, there is plenty of incentive to cheat of you are so inclined......because there is a payoff at the end if you can play at that level.  AG'ers can't......period.  There is no payoff, and to make matters worse, nobody cares. (to be sure, nobody cares at the elite level either......but there can be plenty of ways to get paid)

2016-02-04 2:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by 3mar Let's take a step back here guys...this is triathlon we're talking about. MOP AGers, FOP AGers, elite AGers, junior elite, elite and the LARGE majority of pros are fighting for no more net gain than a hunk of metal. This isn't football, baseball, or heck, even rugby. To say that a MOP AGer using dope is laughable but a junior elite isn't is a joke. What, is it the million dollar prize purses at the junior elite events? Lmao. Or maybe the elite AGr is more justified for the fast cars and faster women that come with KQ haha. Ok, so maybe it's at least understandable for the pros, you know because, I mean, even the bench warmers are making $500k a year...lol. Aside from the very very few who are A winning a lot, B good looking and C good at social media, there aren't millions at stake for any of us, from MOP to elite to pro. We're all fighting for that hunk of metal and not one group is more justified in either using, or being frustrated by competitors cheating than any other. This isn't the NFL, it's triathlon.

I can't speak above the Jr. Elite level....but since you brought it up.  Free college....that's what being near the top at that level got him.  Yes, his HS times are a big part.......but competing at the top at the national/international level got him a full ride.  It's track and field/XC.....not football.  Full rides are scarce.

Secondly....being near the top at that level means you get paid expenses for the races you attend.  You get invited to the Olympic training center for a couple of camps.  You can get race trips to Europe, Canada, Mexico, etc......all paid.  Yeah, there is plenty of incentive to dope to get ahead.

Third - you don't just enter international ITU events as an elite and automatically race.  You have to get points by racing and finishing well.  It's a process.  My kid has one main goal in triathlon......to race in a WTS event.  Once that happens then he'll see what he can make out of it.  But yeah, more likely he'll try to have some kind of a career in Europe running or cycling for a few years.....because, as you say, it pays better.

So yeah, there is plenty of incentive to cheat of you are so inclined......because there is a payoff at the end if you can play at that level.  AG'ers can't......period.  There is no payoff, and to make matters worse, nobody cares. (to be sure, nobody cares at the elite level either......but there can be plenty of ways to get paid)

You're talking money in the 100k's at best. Free trips, dinners, and that much money comes with a moderatly successful career. Not exactly high stakes. Certainly not worth cheating. It's the pride, not the money and fast cars that drives cheating. We're not talking millions here, were not even talking 100s of thousands for the VAST majority of elites and pros. These men and women are doping and cheating for the exact same reason the MOP AGer is...a hunk of metal. Let's not kid ourselves. Anyone who enters a race is trying to move themselves up to the next rung of the ladder and we're all on that same ladder here. There are no million dollar dreams and private jets. There is no high stakes. There is pride, accomplishement and a hunk of metal. That's it. Execpt for the Kara Gouchers of the world. So let's stop belittling others.
2016-02-04 2:34 PM

User image

Pro

You're talking money in the 100k's at best. Free trips, dinners, and that much money comes with a moderatly successful career. Not exactly high stakes. Certainly not worth cheating. It's the pride, not the money and fast cars that drives cheating. We're not talking millions here, were not even talking 100s of thousands for the VAST majority of elites and pros. These men and women are doping and cheating for the exact same reason the MOP AGer is...a hunk of metal. Let's not kid ourselves. Anyone who enters a race is trying to move themselves up to the next rung of the ladder and we're all on that same ladder here. There are no million dollar dreams and private jets. There is no high stakes. There is pride, accomplishement and a hunk of metal. That's it. Execpt for the Kara Gouchers of the world. So let's stop belittling others.

Oh wait......now it's belittling others to say it's absolutely laughable for an AG'er to dope to place higher in an AG race?  Hold on......I may puke from laughing this hard. 

You want the truth?  I bet the percentage of pros who dope for triathlon is INFINITELY smaller then it is for AG'ers.  There's just not that many pros....and yeah, there isn't anything close to the incentive to dope as there is in other sports, so why?......but at least there is some tangible value.  Which brings me back to how ridiculous it is for AG'ers to dope.  Like I said......it's comedy for me.  It has nothing to do with belittling others and everything to do with laughing at stupid people who would do that.

And to your point about other sports........yeah bro, live with it, you picked a sport that almost nobody cares about.  And they don't care if you finished 4th instead of 3rd enough to test anyone in your AG race.  Reality......just as you pointed out to yourself.

2016-02-04 2:35 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
For a pro to find it laughable that an AGer would dope for nothing more than a hunk of metal, it is equally humorous to the average AGer making six figures to laugh at a pro doping to make $25k/year

Here's an interesting article by Jesse Thomas on the big money of professional triathlon:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/01/features/things-know-turnin...

To quote:

"However, it is unlikely you’ll make a lot of money. Yes, there is a chance you’ll do great, but the odds are tough, and the slope is very slippery. Let’s make my college stats class worth it and assume there are roughly 100 men in the world who competed in Kona, 70.3 worlds and/or Hy-Vee. Here’s my rough guess at their triathlon-related income:

About 20 of them make $200,000 or more (for a very select few, quite a bit more)

About 20 of them make $100,000–$200,000

About 30 of them make $50,000–$100,000

The other 30 likely supplement with some other type of income."

2016-02-04 2:39 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Oh wait......now it's belittling others to say it's absolutely laughable for an AG'er to dope to place higher in an AG race?  Hold on......I may puke from laughing this hard. 

You want the truth?  I bet the percentage of pros who dope for triathlon is INFINITELY smaller then it is for AG'ers.  There's just not that many pros....and yeah, there isn't anything close to the incentive to dope as there is in other sports, so why?......but at least there is some tangible value.  Which brings me back to how ridiculous it is for AG'ers to dope.  Like I said......it's comedy for me.  It has nothing to do with belittling others and everything to do with laughing at stupid people who would do that.

And to your point about other sports........yeah bro, live with it, you picked a sport that almost nobody cares about.  And they don't care if you finished 4th instead of 3rd enough to test anyone in your AG race.  Reality......just as you pointed out to yourself.

It's all about seeing how you stack up to the next guy. That's it. If people are doping, or drafting or whatever, it throws everything off. You don't have to be the absolute best to care about competition. Otherwise there would only be one single person who did.

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-04 2:42 PM
2016-02-04 2:43 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar For a pro to find it laughable that an AGer would dope for nothing more than a hunk of metal, it is equally humorous to the average AGer making six figures to laugh at a pro doping to make $25k/year Here's an interesting article by Jesse Thomas on the big money of professional triathlon: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/01/features/things-know-turnin... To quote: "However, it is unlikely you’ll make a lot of money. Yes, there is a chance you’ll do great, but the odds are tough, and the slope is very slippery. Let’s make my college stats class worth it and assume there are roughly 100 men in the world who competed in Kona, 70.3 worlds and/or Hy-Vee. Here’s my rough guess at their triathlon-related income: About 20 of them make $200,000 or more (for a very select few, quite a bit more) About 20 of them make $100,000–$200,000 About 30 of them make $50,000–$100,000 The other 30 likely supplement with some other type of income."

I know quite a few pros.....but I don't know any who do it for the money.  They do it because they can. 

We can't.......and any amount of doping will not change that. 

So someone figured as many as1 /3 of AG'ers may dope....especially at an event like AG nationals?  Hell, my 15 year old kid finished 5th overall there.... he was doping with Capt. Crunch cereal and skittles.     Laughable and ridiculous doesn't begin to cover the goofballs in the AG ranks who dope.

2016-02-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar For a pro to find it laughable that an AGer would dope for nothing more than a hunk of metal, it is equally humorous to the average AGer making six figures to laugh at a pro doping to make $25k/year Here's an interesting article by Jesse Thomas on the big money of professional triathlon: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/01/features/things-know-turnin... To quote: "However, it is unlikely you’ll make a lot of money. Yes, there is a chance you’ll do great, but the odds are tough, and the slope is very slippery. Let’s make my college stats class worth it and assume there are roughly 100 men in the world who competed in Kona, 70.3 worlds and/or Hy-Vee. Here’s my rough guess at their triathlon-related income: About 20 of them make $200,000 or more (for a very select few, quite a bit more) About 20 of them make $100,000–$200,000 About 30 of them make $50,000–$100,000 The other 30 likely supplement with some other type of income."

I know quite a few pros.....but I don't know any who do it for the money.  They do it because they can. 

So someone figured as many as1 /3 of AG'ers may dope....especially at an event like AG nationals?  Hell, my 15 year old kid finished 5th overall there.... he was doping with Capt. Crunch cereal and skittles.     Laughable and ridiculous doesn't begin to cover the goofballs in the AG ranks who dope.

I find it equally laughable that elites and pros do in this sport, so there you go. But like anything else, this is about competition...REGARDLESS of level. It's about competing with your peers. Cheating destroys that. Period. And that sucks.
2016-02-04 2:54 PM

User image

Pro

I find it equally laughable that elites and pros do in this sport, so there you go. But like anything else, this is about competition...REGARDLESS of level. It's about competing with your peers. Cheating destroys that. Period. And that sucks.

We agree on that.....but like I said......the doping in the pro ranks of triathlon doesn't come close to the egomaniacs who cheat at the AG level.....and I'm going to laugh at them for the idiots they are.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doping Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Latest doping scandal has "old school" flavor.

Started by gullahcracker
Views: 1069 Posts: 5

2006-07-05 10:09 AM hangloose

Doping controls in Pro Triathlon

Started by kenail
Views: 612 Posts: 2

2006-06-30 9:27 AM running2far

AP: Report exonorates Armstrong of doping

Started by huengsolo
Views: 802 Posts: 6

2006-06-01 9:56 AM huengsolo

UCI has no doping evidence against Armstrong