General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What type of wetsuit is best? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-06 10:42 PM

Subject: What type of wetsuit is best?
I'm hoping to purchase a wetsuit here in a few weeks and I'm kinda lost when it comes to knowing which one is best.

I know I need one that's easy to get change out of for the next leg of the race, so should I go with a shorts/short sleeve set or do I want the full body suit?

Do you have a favorite brand or place you recommend?

2016-02-07 12:27 AM
in reply to: SimplyBekah

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: What type of wetsuit is best?
Honestly, the more wetsuit you have, the more advantage. Long leg, long sleeve.

Sleeveless can work if you have serious issues with shoulder mobility, but a good quality suit should have a flexible enough shoulder.

The best wetsuit is going to be the one that fits, to be honest. Materials made aren't that different.

Go to your local tri shop, ask questions, try a bunch on.

If you have to go online, Xterra has a great return policy for sizing, I went with their Vector Pro and have been pretty happy.
2016-02-13 4:30 PM

Augusta, Georgia
It isn't really a matter of what wetsuit is the "best" its more of what feels most comfortable on you and fits you the best. Everyone is different, so ones person recommendation of the best wetsuit could be the worse one for you.
2016-02-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: JeffBrown

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I bought a blue 77 for a decent price under 200$ and have had good experience with it. Full length wetsuit, my only issues is my triceps swell up when swimming and I just have to pump water into my arms and its all better.
2016-02-16 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think both can be useful depending on conditions. The full suit is useful when the water is cold and you clearly need a wetsuit. It will give you the biggest speed/buoyancy advantage although this is a bit less with stronger swimmers. Some people prefer sleeveless if they are uncomfortable with the restriction on the shoulders or have a fit issue due to a bigger upper body. To me those suits feel a lot less warm--maybe best for strong swimmers who have some natural "insulation".

I also have a sleeveless shorty sui that I use for sprint or Olympic distance races when water temps are borderline (barely wetsuit-legal--basically above 72 or 73). This happens to describe a lot of summer races in the Pacific Northwest. I also use it for open water training in those conditions and sometimes even cold pools. It gives less buoyancy advantage than a full suit but still some, and is a LOT quicker to get off than a full suit. I have a TYR Category 1 full suit and can't really recommend it. It's warm and buoyant, but I find its bit restrictive (maybe a fit issue) and haven't been impressed with its durability. I have been very happy with my ProMotion sleeveless shorty, though. I train in it a lot, including in our currently ice-cold school pool, so it's starting to fall apart, but it's held up much better to harsher, much more extensive wear than the other suit and I will happily replace it when it bites the dust.
2016-02-17 6:09 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It depends a bit on where you areā€¦ If you're in the NorthEast, especially if you race in the ocean, you want a long sleeve to stay warm. If you're in FL, then you may want a sleeveless (or you may not even need a wetsuit at all!) to reduce your temperature a bit.

Sleeveless allows for greater shoulder flexibility, making it a bit easier to swim. A full wetsuit will give you the best buoyancy.

2016-02-17 10:19 AM

User image

You have gotten good answers already about which styles to consider or look at.  For where to buy or brand - I'd go directly to the companies that make them when possible.  Just check to make sure where ever you order from will let you try it and return if there's a problem.  I have a Synergy wetsuit which I found the company about 7 years ago when looking.  They were or might still be a small company but they allowed me to wear the wetsuit in a pool if I wanted and return if need be.  They were pretty insistent I swam in it before deciding to keep or not.  I had a few great calls with a sales rep about the fit.

Brands-  check reviews to see about durability.  I have really only heard poor reviews on one brand and off the top of my head I feel like it's xterra.  Don't hold me to that but I feel like the skin rips pretty easily on them.

If and or when I need a new one I will look first at ROKA.  They are expensive though. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What type of wetsuit is best? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

type of wetsuit?

Started by sushiyuri
Views: 2367 Posts: 5

2012-08-20 10:32 AM Billyk

Trek 1600: Am I getting a good deal?

Started by amilwee
Views: 8348 Posts: 6

2008-07-02 7:45 PM amilwee

What type of earphones are good for running??

Started by Little Tom
Views: 929 Posts: 14

2007-02-11 10:31 PM Little Tom

Wetsuits -- Tri type vs. Scuba Diving

Started by Furtherfaster
Views: 1177 Posts: 4

2006-12-11 1:23 PM mndiver

Wetsuit type? full or sleeveless

Started by DRLski
Views: 1074 Posts: 6

2005-07-11 6:42 AM tripol
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : September 4, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.