General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim snorkel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-06 10:46 PM

Subject: Swim snorkel
So who or how many people have used a swim snorkel in their first event? I suck at the swim and I am worried. I know the rules state I can use one but I honestly fear the ridicule.

2016-02-09 1:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Swim snorkel
6 years ago I entered my first Tri (Sprint). Although having been a lifeguard in my youth, I never had lessons or really learned how to swim correctly. When I decided to do a Tri I was 48. I joined LA fitness to have access to a pool. I started training in Feb and the Tri-for-Joe was at the end of May. For the first two weeks swimming was pretty difficult for me. At that point I came across the front face snorkel and things were going better. Then using videos off YouTube, I developed my technique.

Now LA is only 25m, 50m would be ideal but, when I started the snorkel, I was taking 27 strokes to get from one end of the pool to the other. After 4 weeks of snorkel and technique, I cut it down to 16 strokes!

Now the answer to your question... At that time, I was told I could NOT use a snorkel. So for 3 weeks before the race, I put the snorkel away....1st week I thought I would drown, 2nd week still had to stop and cough on occasion , 3rd week I was pretty comfortable with the side to side breathing and was averaging 18 strokes. I did ok for my first Tri 16:26 for 8oom and a TON of folks!

The key to getting the breathing down was having the technique down first! I did not use a regular snorkel because my arm would hit the tube.

I used the swimmer's snorkel with a cardio cap but, now there is a freestyle version which may be better;

http://www.finisinc.com/technical/snorkels

This was probably the most worth while piece of training equipment for me when starting out. I have not done a try since that first year but, I am considering trying again and yes I will start swimming with this thing till I get the technique back down.

Good Luck

Edited by ET1SW47 2016-02-09 1:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim snorkel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bad times to swim at AC? & swim closer to home

Started by fitnesskelly
Views: 1297 Posts: 9

2012-06-15 2:57 PM flanag

Open Water Swim Practice - Near Columbus?

Started by cscottjr
Views: 1808 Posts: 5

2009-01-06 8:57 AM cscottjr

Swim lessons/instructor Pages: 1 2

Started by baa
Views: 3848 Posts: 26

2009-07-10 10:24 PM danbob

swimming in Fairborn

Started by greyhound
Views: 941 Posts: 3

2008-04-29 5:52 PM MGNorris

Swim help in Central Ohio

Started by kopp56
Views: 1651 Posts: 14

2008-02-08 10:14 AM jacasa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.

date : March 15, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 6
Until I feel comfortable in the pool, would it be silly to put in my pool time while wearing a snorkel? I really want to swim until I'm tired and force myself to go further each time.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.