Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Technology doping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-08 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Technology doping
I thought there would be a thread on this already so apologies if I missed it.Just wondering what people know about technology doping and how rampant it is?I'm referring to the female UCI U23 world championship CX rider who's bike was discovered to have a motor..This sounds like James Bond to me....Since it came out I've heard more examples such as electromagnetic wheels giving X amount of additional wattage....Do you think technology dopers are as bad as physiological performance enhancers or worse?

2016-02-08 9:40 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Technology doping

Originally posted by TriMike I thought there would be a thread on this already so apologies if I missed it.Just wondering what people know about technology doping and how rampant it is?I'm referring to the female UCI U23 world championship CX rider who's bike was discovered to have a motor..This sounds like James Bond to me....Since it came out I've heard more examples such as electromagnetic wheels giving X amount of additional wattage....Do you think technology dopers are as bad as physiological performance enhancers or worse?

Cheating is cheating.  

2016-02-08 10:33 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by TriMike I thought there would be a thread on this already so apologies if I missed it.Just wondering what people know about technology doping and how rampant it is?I'm referring to the female UCI U23 world championship CX rider who's bike was discovered to have a motor..This sounds like James Bond to me....Since it came out I've heard more examples such as electromagnetic wheels giving X amount of additional wattage....Do you think technology dopers are as bad as physiological performance enhancers or worse?

Cheating is cheating.  

I agree cheating is cheating.  My point was regarding whether people think it's even worse with technological cheating?

Some co-workers and I were discussing how a person could rationalize taking something performance enhancing from the perspective that they are still doing the pedaling, and their body had to process the substance etc.  And/or they could also rationalize that maybe they personally don't get the same benefit as another and that "everyone else is doing it" even if the ability to catch them is improving.  

Whereas a motor is so egregious, way beyond pushing the technological limits such as a bike being lighter than the weight limit or a tire substance with lower rolling resistance than allowed etc.

Again, not advocating cheating, just a unique work conversation that I was wondering about a wider audience of opinions.

Regarding my initial post, I did it on a tablet and didn't realize the system would smush everything into a massive paragraph.  Apologies for presentation..

2016-02-08 10:33 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Its probably worse form of cheating. No adverse physical side effects. A mortar can potentially even make me a pro on the bike tomorrow. Like the movie Bigger, Faster, Stronger points out that just taking steroids does not instantly make you stronger. You still have to put the time in the gym.

Only cheating I never really had an issue with and it not cheating with the right paper work is non podium age groupers who use performance enhancement drugs for medical issues.
2016-02-08 11:28 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by Hook'em

Cheating is cheating.  

I agree cheating is cheating.  My point was regarding whether people think it's even worse with technological cheating?

Unless it is a form of cheating that injures another individual (Tonya Harding), I don't believe one form is worse than the other.  Everyone who is shown to involved or have had knowledge should be banned - bike handlers, rider, coaches, other teammates, etc

2016-03-07 5:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

On the flip side, I think that the effects of performance enhancing drugs last a long time, so I wouldn't say technological cheating is worse.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Technology doping Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Technology amazes me

Started by Sharyn5
Views: 1161 Posts: 11

2010-05-10 8:29 AM Sharyn5

Gadget Graveyard: 10 Technologies About to Go Extinct Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Hawkeye
Views: 2916 Posts: 63

2009-04-17 8:11 PM gearboy

I'm technology challenged