United States
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 07m 21s
Overall Rank = 2262/2679
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 79/82
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15, put on all the layers I'd laid out the night before. Questioned if I had put on too much clothing. Ate breakfast, coffee roll and 1% milk, then headed out to the truck. Realized immediately that I had not put on too many layers, and that I might need a few more. Yes, 52 and windy is COLD by Florida standards.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site, used the porti-pottie, went back to my truck, set an alarm for 10 minutes to race time, and took a nap. Woke up, had a GU, went to the corral and tried to hide from the wind.
Run
  • 3h 07m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Another walking race. The PF in my heel will not go away. Need to finally see a doctor. This race for some reason KILLS my calves. I remember that from last year as well. Most painful finish of any race I've done. Absolutely could not get comfortable after the race. It's now 24 hours post race, and my calves are still burning.
What would you do differently?:

Not go 3 weeks without any activity between races.
Post race
Warm down:

Got in line for breakfast before it too long. Talked with a student of mine that almost knocked me over with a high five when I wasn't paying attention. Tried to find some Ryder Bikes teammates but lost them when talk to my student. Found a place to eat, checked results, deposited the used Gatorade, then went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, injury, and conditions. I really, really hate the cold.

Event comments:

Really like what the RD is doing with this event. Great course, awesome support, plenty of live music, and a wonderful post race set-up. The only thing missing is the beach, otherwise this race gives you a taste of everything Sarasota has to offer.

Last updated: 2015-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:07:21 | 13.1 miles | 14m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 79/82
Overall: 2262/2679
Performance: Below average
Course: Same course as last year. Starts at the Van Wezel then goes out and back to St. Armand's Circle over the Ringling Bridge, then south past Marina Jack's to another out and back on the way to Siesta Key before returning through Selby Gardens, north past Marina Jack's again then under the bridge before heading back to the Van Wezel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-02-08 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Sarasota Music Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sarasota Music Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sarasota Music Half Marathon

Started by cdban66
Views: 1581 Posts: 10

2015-03-02 7:19 AM brigby1

Sarasota Music Half Marathon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1695 Posts: 7

2015-02-10 12:26 PM cwpeters

Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run - Half Marathon

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1149 Posts: 1

2007-04-29 2:11 PM SSMinnow

Started by empyre180
Views: 1820 Posts: 7

2007-03-25 10:59 AM mlbwalk

Started by tcodol
Views: 1397 Posts: 2

2007-03-22 8:32 AM marymosc13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.