Other Resources My Cup of Joe » For those who DO drink.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-08 11:52 AM

User image

DC
Subject: For those who DO drink....
Inspired by the excellent "Becoming Sober" thread, how much/often do you drink & how would you say it impacts your training.... if at all?

I drink a lot & on occasion, I struggle to get up in the mornings to run or whatever. Still, I'm not certain as to how much the dark, cold, winters are playing a role. Anyway, just wanted to discuss the opposite side of the spectrum.

P.S. No amount of alcohol "buzz" ever compares to the runner's high!

2016-02-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: For those who DO drink....
Depends on what phase of my life. When I was in mid-twenties, I was in the party mood and I admit - it ruined my plans to run half marathon (for which I trained for over half a year). I was doing great during some weeks, then came weekends of partying and I had to "recover" for few days. It's not that I was drinking like crazy, but Polish community is known for drinking more vodka than any other alcohol, and it does not feel the day after Eventually, because of the inconsistency when the long runs got really long, I got injured and could not participate in the race.

But that's the past. I'm 32 now, I still have social life, we meet every weekend or every other weekend. It's mostly wine or craft beers. For the last two years I had no problem with running the next day. But then again, I have maybe a few beers a night, or few glasses of wine comparing of hectoliters per party years and years ago... I think not having enough sleep is making my runs worse than alcohol. I think I would not go swimming with any level of hangover.
2016-02-08 1:15 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

DC
Originally posted by marysia83

but Polish community is known for drinking more vodka than any other alcohol, and it does not feel the day after

Thanks for sharing. Particularly because you're a Polish Chicagoan (I'm from Chicago as well!).

So, I think that my water-drinking habit, about a gallon & a half a day throughout the day including while drinking alcohol, really prevents me from ever having a hang-over. Also, during the work week, I drink chamomile tea BEFORE any alcohol & don't usually experience any problems getting quality REM sleep. I don't know, just saying.
2016-02-08 1:41 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Porfirio

Originally posted by marysia83

but Polish community is known for drinking more vodka than any other alcohol, and it does not feel the day after

Thanks for sharing. Particularly because you're a Polish Chicagoan (I'm from Chicago as well!).

So, I think that my water-drinking habit, about a gallon & a half a day throughout the day including while drinking alcohol, really prevents me from ever having a hang-over. Also, during the work week, I drink chamomile tea BEFORE any alcohol & don't usually experience any problems getting quality REM sleep. I don't know, just saying.

Ha! More Chicago fellows
I think it also matters how much (and what) you eat before and while you drink. Russians can drink sooooo much, because they are constantly eating while drinking.
I don't remember the last time I had a hangover, but I usually have those if I mix things during the night, and lately I'm stick to either wine or craft beer. And my justification is that wine is healthy for the heart, and IPAs provide calories I need for workouts, so really - those could be a part of my training diet hehe
2016-02-08 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marysia83 I think I would not go swimming with any level of hangover.

I was thinking about this just today.  Probably from having a couple beers while watching the game last night.  I would swim over anything else if I had a hangover.  It helps clear my head. 

Anyway, to the original question.  I have a few beers or glasses of wine or  what have you on the weekends.  I generally avoid drinking during the week since I have to get up early to get some little people out of the house and then get a run in before work.   I normally don't drink enough anymore to have a hangover I guess.  Usually what gets me now is IPA's.  I love them but they can make me feel like a truck ran over me.   I have had 2 or 3 over about a 4 hr period and woken up with a pounding headache. 

ETA - I have no knowledge nor do I ever think I will know of this runners high you speak of.  Probably why I drink some beers on the weekend.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-02-08 2:53 PM
2016-02-08 3:13 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

DC
I have had 2 or 3 over about a 4 hr period and woken up with a pounding headache. 

ETA -

I have no knowledge nor do I ever think I will know of this runners high you speak of.  Probably why I drink some beers on the weekend.

2 or 3!? Lightweight! J/K.

Re so called "runner's high," have always experience it & love it. That makes me question whether I'm an alcohol abuser or an alcoholic. If the latter, I don't see myself enjoying running/working out as much as I do. Who knows... I'm probably saying what I want to hear.

2016-02-08 3:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by Porfirio
I have had 2 or 3 over about a 4 hr period and woken up with a pounding headache. 

ETA - I have no knowledge nor do I ever think I will know of this runners high you speak of.  Probably why I drink some beers on the weekend.

2 or 3!? Lightweight! .

You won't get an argument out of me on that one.  There's something in certain IPA's that make me feel like crap the next day.  They're very tasty IMO.  But I've been out with friends and then the next day gone for a run or something with them and they laugh at how my head feels like it wants to explode.

2016-04-04 2:06 AM

User image

I do enjoy a good beer or gin on a regular basis. But I find that beer doesn't help me during training, in fact it hinders my training a lot. But gin helps me when I'm training in the cold. It helps keep my blood pumping and my body heated. I guess vodka works just fine as well.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » For those who DO drink.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Energy Drink to end all energy drinks!

Started by hangloose
Views: 1264 Posts: 9

2006-01-19 9:52 AM hangloose

flirt like a drunk receptionist Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2549 Posts: 40

2005-09-13 3:53 PM runnergirl29

Drunk Hockey Fans will love to ...

Started by Writebrained
Views: 789 Posts: 11

2005-08-19 5:22 PM smokeater1833

32oz 7-11 slushie drink = free iTunes

Started by scuba-punk
Views: 868 Posts: 3

2005-07-10 12:19 AM ChrisM

How far can you walk this drunk? Pages: 1 2

Started by auto208562
Views: 2547 Posts: 27

2016-02-09 5:51 AM Myra Trabert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.

date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.
date : July 5, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The company’s first two offerings are an aerodynamic hydration system and a saddle bag repair kit. PodiumQuest sets itself apart by paying attention to the little things.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 1
Without doubt, the single most glaring error I have noticed is the scarce amount of fluids athletes ingest during a race!