General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance Winter Grand Prix: Track Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Balance Winter Grand Prix: Track Race - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle , Washington
United States
Total Time = 12m 7s
Overall Rank = 5/40
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Event warmup:

Got to the track and checked in with the clerk. Went and did some nice easy running around the neighborhood then came to the infield and changed into my flats. My legs felt heavy from the time trial the day before but not to the point or soreness.
Run
  • 12m 7s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I have been doing back to back races a couple months in a row now. The day before I completed my third time trial up Tiger Mountain, Race Report Here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

What I was trying to accomplish with back to back racing with no taper was using them as compound workouts. Becuase the time trial is a straight up mountain run it uses very different muscles and "systems" than a more flat, speed-based race like the New Balance series. I figured coming into a "speed" race with some muscular fatigue would be good for digging deep to finish fast in a longer race. Additionally, I wanted to prioritize a good base vs. taper-race-recover type training more oriented around race performance.

Anyhoo, to the race! Because it was on the track we were divided into heats so, everything I am talking about is specific to my heat.

I lined up a touch back from the starting curve, just because I purposefully wanted to refrain from starting too fast.

The official came out with the gun in the air, "On your marks" ...."BANG!"
and we were off!

I moved to lane one immediately and let the more uhhh....enthusiastic competitors duke it out in front of me. I kept the pace moderate from the get go and eased into what I felt I could handle for the entirety of the race.

My plan was to go by feel and my ballpark idea was that I'd run about a 6:20 first mile and try to bring down to 6:10 in the second by really using feel vs the clock.

The first quarter marked a 1:34, not too far off what I thought might happen.

It was great being out there with a lot of high-schoolers as their coaches were there. I always forget how awesome it is to be able to be coached each lap. I listened to their advice and applied it as much as I could, even though it wasn't specific to me. "Chest up, pump those arms, keep that turnover, relax your face"

I began passing the initial wave of overzealous racers, slowly moving my way up.

I didn't feel fast, but I felt steady and relaxed.

I closed the second mile in 6:16 and felt good. I decided I would try to keep the same pace for the next lap, a little faster for the third and then go hard the first half of the last lap before getting reckless with the final 100 meters or so.

I tried to relax my face and hold form. I passed another person and could see the lead pack, maybe 15 seconds ahead. Sadly I was kind of in no mans land with no one to pace with and probably too big of a gap to jump. So, I just focused on my own plan.

I came into the final curve then turned it on. My stride lengthened a bit and my cadence increased. I could feel the strain of running faster than a distance runner typically moves and I crossed the finish, breathless.

What would you do differently?:

I'd train for the specific distance if I was focused on it, but this was a workout so I probably wouldn't change much given the context. I think I maybe could have run with the lead pack with the same effort if we took turns but I didn't really know that in the beginning.

I'm not really "fast" but I can feel some progress being made now that I have a few weeks of quality workouts under my belt. I think I am in a good spot to start true marathon training now.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran a few easy miles then headed to the mountains for a ski tour!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Non-specific training, race the day before, no taper

Last updated: 2016-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:07 | 02 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 5/40
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 miles on the rubber oval
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-02-08 12:27 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: New Balance Winter Grand Prix: Track Race

2016-02-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: #5165998

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: New Balance Winter Grand Prix: Track Race

Great job! Especially considering the fact that you raced the day before! Congrats on the AG win and placing well over all. Hope you enjoyed the ski trip

2016-02-08 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Nicely done! I love how you took the coaches' advice!
2016-02-09 11:02 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great race!  Congrats!

2016-02-09 2:24 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Great job!

2016-02-10 10:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Very good race, oh speedy one!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance Winter Grand Prix: Track Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Balance Winter Grand Prix

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 1362 Posts: 4

2016-02-08 12:45 PM awm007

The Great Turkey 5K-20th BGRR GRAND PRIX RACE

Started by mbrandon66
Views: 939 Posts: 2

2006-11-29 7:04 AM TBZ

Florida Yulee Railroad Days 10K Grand Prix Race

Started by parrj
Views: 1044 Posts: 1

2006-06-03 10:19 AM parrj

NYRR Grand Prix: Staten Island - half marathon

Started by 510climbergirl
Views: 933 Posts: 1

2005-10-16 3:51 PM 510climbergirl

Yaletown Grand Prix

Started by jeng
Views: 1516 Posts: 15

2005-07-06 6:02 PM AlBearAngel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.
date : April 21, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to use our detailed online race log to track your season and progress.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types