Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My no soda, no carb challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-02-08 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: My no soda, no carb challenge
I set a goal for myself to not have a single soda, beer, wine or hardly any carbs (under20 per day) for 30 days. Just wanted to share my progress so far.

I'm on day # 22 and I haven't cheated once. I love sugar and soda so it's been a struggle, I have only had water to drink...just plain water, no sweeteners. Basically eating meat, cheese, eggs and some nuts occasionally.

Down 15 lbs in the first three weeks. Some water weight yes but also some fat loss as well.

Counting the calories and I end up with around 1400- 1600 daily.

2016-02-08 6:37 PM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: My no soda, no carb challenge
Originally posted by skipg

I set a goal for myself to not have a single soda, beer, wine or hardly any carbs (under20 per day) for 30 days. Just wanted to share my progress so far.

I'm on day # 22 and I haven't cheated once. I love sugar and soda so it's been a struggle, I have only had water to drink...just plain water, no sweeteners. Basically eating meat, cheese, eggs and some nuts occasionally.

Down 15 lbs in the first three weeks. Some water weight yes but also some fat loss as well.

Counting the calories and I end up with around 1400- 1600 daily.

Holy cramolies that sounds tough!
Nice work.
At some point I will try that...but considering Mrs. CD just brought home some Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream today, this is NOT the night for me to start!
2016-02-09 11:18 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by skipg I set a goal for myself to not have a single soda, beer, wine or hardly any carbs (under20 per day) for 30 days. Just wanted to share my progress so far. I'm on day # 22 and I haven't cheated once. I love sugar and soda so it's been a struggle, I have only had water to drink...just plain water, no sweeteners. Basically eating meat, cheese, eggs and some nuts occasionally. Down 15 lbs in the first three weeks. Some water weight yes but also some fat loss as well. Counting the calories and I end up with around 1400- 1600 daily.
That's very impressive.  Good job.

2016-02-09 2:19 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

What kind of effect has it had on your training?

2016-02-09 3:57 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by trijamie

I was thinking about the same question. While it is great you cut soda and crap, but 1,600 calories seems low. I am starving when going below 2K
But I am not an expert and I am guessing you have some sort of balanced diet?
2016-02-09 4:44 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Sounds like something I am going to try to start tomorrow since its lent and all.

I know over the summer I training for a marathon. I would binge some weeks. when I didn't I felt better and lbs melted away and I was not as hungry.

I think when you run low carbs your body just burns the body fat.

2016-02-09 7:33 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Expert

just started back training again also. Only been running 3 miles a few times a week to get my legs working again. I had a rough time the first week with no energy but after that, I'm fine, no issues with low energy and I'm no where near as hungry as I use to be eating sweets all the time. I'm doing Raleih 70.3 and needed a jump start to drop a few lbs. Trying to get my mojo back
2016-02-09 7:42 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Originally posted by marysia83

I was thinking about the same question. While it is great you cut soda and crap, but 1,600 calories seems low. I am starving when going below 2K
But I am not an expert and I am guessing you have some sort of balanced diet?
Not sure how balanced it is but it's working at least, bacon and eggs for breakfast, some nuts for a snack, cheese, steak or chicken for dinner with green veggies. Pork skins if I'm feeling like a potato chip. Lots of fat some protein and under 20 carbs daily. Going to see how long I can hold out.
2016-02-09 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

this sounds tremendously unhealthy

2016-02-09 8:16 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Wait.......did you say no beer?

2016-02-09 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by dmiller5

healthier than I was eating to pack on the extra lbs. Donuts, cookies, ice cream pizza, fried food daily.

2016-02-09 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

swap the meat and eggs for whole plant foods, and eat enough to not be literally starving to death and just keep those donuts and sodas out

beer is absolutely necessary :P

2016-02-09 8:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Left Brain

Wait.......did you say no beer?

I leave it in the fridge ice cold to test my will power. Not caving for 7 more days!
2016-02-09 8:47 PM

User image

Expert

swap the meat and eggs for whole plant foods, and eat enough to not be literally starving to death and just keep those donuts and sodas out

I'm an all or nothing type of person. I can't eat one Oreo or one donut if I crack a bag of Oreos, I'm eating a whole run.

I did have some blood work done before I started, results weren't the greatest. I plan on having it tested again soon after my 30 days are up to see the difference. We'll see just how unhealthy the high fat low carb plan is.
2016-02-09 9:41 PM

User image

Pro

if I crack a bag of Oreos, I'm eating a whole run. 

Whoa.........I'm putting that on my headstone.

2016-02-10 6:49 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I agree, but more importantly it's not sustainable for long term living.

When it comes to dieting I've discovered that it's not about cutting this or cutting that, it's about changing a lifestyle for long term healthy living.  When people typically do a cut all this or that out of their diet and starve the weight off, it absolutely works but it's not a lifestyle change so as soon as you stop the diet the weight gradually comes right back and then the cycle starts again. (don't ask me how I know)

Cutting soda out and watching sugar is a great thing for lifelong health, but try to think longer term with your diet.

Either way nice work on cutting some lbs.

2016-02-10 6:50 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Is that the weird green stuff they put on the side of my plate at restaurants? 

2016-02-10 6:53 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm an all or nothing type of person. I can't eat one Oreo or one donut if I crack a bag of Oreos, I'm eating a whole run. I did have some blood work done before I started, results weren't the greatest. I plan on having it tested again soon after my 30 days are up to see the difference. We'll see just how unhealthy the high fat low carb plan is.

I'm the same way.  I've quit drinking soda many times, but every time I tell myself "I'll just drink one a day for lunch" or whatever, I end up dropping a 12 pack or more a day within two to three days.  I just have to say no period.

2016-02-10 7:55 AM
in reply to: #5166075

User image

Expert
It's definitely not sustainable for me to eat this way long term. I can be pretty strict for 2-3 months though to get me back to 180-190 ish. Training volume will pick up soon, this is my comeback year. I have a few races on the schedule and I'll be able to keep the weight in check. Have a 70.3 in June so that should keep me busy and burning some fat.
2016-02-10 8:07 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by skipg It's definitely not sustainable for me to eat this way long term. I can be pretty strict for 2-3 months though to get me back to 180-190 ish. Training volume will pick up soon, this is my comeback year. I have a few races on the schedule and I'll be able to keep the weight in check. Have a 70.3 in June so that should keep me busy and burning some fat.

That's one of my best tools as well.  Get a race on the schedule.  

2016-02-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by skipg It's definitely not sustainable for me to eat this way long term. I can be pretty strict for 2-3 months though to get me back to 180-190 ish. Training volume will pick up soon, this is my comeback year. I have a few races on the schedule and I'll be able to keep the weight in check. Have a 70.3 in June so that should keep me busy and burning some fat.

yeah dropping some serious $$ on races "usually" gets me in gear. Thrown off the last couple of years with a lot of stuff going on. Selling house faster than we thought, had to move further away from job than expected. Commute was brutal for a year while our house was being built. Throw in a our new baby that didn't sleep for more that 2-3 hours at a time for the first 7 months really made me put training on the back burner for two years. Hoping to get something going again now that life has settled down a bit.

2016-02-10 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

I'm an all or nothing type of person. I can't eat one Oreo or one donut if I crack a bag of Oreos, I'm eating a whole run. I did have some blood work done before I started, results weren't the greatest. I plan on having it tested again soon after my 30 days are up to see the difference. We'll see just how unhealthy the high fat low carb plan is.

I'm the same way.  I've quit drinking soda many times, but every time I tell myself "I'll just drink one a day for lunch" or whatever, I end up dropping a 12 pack or more a day within two to three days.  I just have to say no period.

Am I reading this correctly - 12 soda in one day? I'm fortunate to have never had a soda habit. Serious question - what's the appeal of soda? Does it really taste that great? Will other forms of sugar address the craving or does the soda addict need their fix in the form of liquid sugar? Not sure how to say this delicately so I'll just come right out with it - consuming sodas (and serving them to others, especially kids) seems to me like the ultimate in thoughtless food choices. I find it hard to understand why people drink them at all.

Willpower sucks and I totally understand how tough it can be to resist the cookies or Doritos or whatever. But you can't eat the row of Oreos if you don't bring the cookies home from the store.

Don
2016-02-10 9:29 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Expert
Originally posted by donw

Am I reading this correctly - 12 soda in one day? I'm fortunate to have never had a soda habit. Serious question - what's the appeal of soda? Does it really taste that great? Will other forms of sugar address the craving or does the soda addict need their fix in the form of liquid sugar? Not sure how to say this delicately so I'll just come right out with it - consuming sodas (and serving them to others, especially kids) seems to me like the ultimate in thoughtless food choices. I find it hard to understand why people drink them at all.

Willpower sucks and I totally understand how tough it can be to resist the cookies or Doritos or whatever. But you can't eat the row of Oreos if you don't bring the cookies home from the store.

Don
I was probably drinking at least 6 diet sodas a day. I'm not a coffee drinker so I think the caffeine in the diet dew is what had me hooked. As far as the Oreos go, although I can't eat just one or two and be satisfied, my wife has no problem with just one and done so she like to keep some in the cabinet. I'm really not craving sweets anymore now that I've cut it out for 3 weeks. The first week was rediculous though...sugar really is an addiction...to me anyway.

2016-02-10 9:34 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by donw

Am I reading this correctly - 12 soda in one day? I'm fortunate to have never had a soda habit. Serious question - what's the appeal of soda? Does it really taste that great? Will other forms of sugar address the craving or does the soda addict need their fix in the form of liquid sugar? Not sure how to say this delicately so I'll just come right out with it - consuming sodas (and serving them to others, especially kids) seems to me like the ultimate in thoughtless food choices. I find it hard to understand why people drink them at all. Willpower sucks and I totally understand how tough it can be to resist the cookies or Doritos or whatever. But you can't eat the row of Oreos if you don't bring the cookies home from the store. Don
I was probably drinking at least 6 diet sodas a day. I'm not a coffee drinker so I think the caffeine in the diet dew is what had me hooked. As far as the Oreos go, although I can't eat just one or two and be satisfied, my wife has no problem with just one and done so she like to keep some in the cabinet. I'm really not craving sweets anymore now that I've cut it out for 3 weeks. The first week was rediculous though...sugar really is an addiction...to me anyway.

We don't drink any soda at our house....never have.  BUT.....we eat Oreos.  Two weeks ago my wife brought home some imitation oreos from Trader Joes.....I now know what a full blown mutiny looks like.  My kids were ready to string her up. LOL

2016-02-10 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

sounds like my and hagaan daas ice cream bars. I would get a box 15 from costgco over the summer and I will be like my girl can have 1 and I can have 1 a day and I find myself friday night eating 4 or 5. Only thing that saved me was having a 14+ mile run the next day. Now I just keep it out of the house. I learned if I do not have the will power to be good just do not even temp myself.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My no soda, no carb challenge Rss Feed  

of 3