General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Checking my times. Prognosis? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-09 9:53 AM

User image

Subject: Checking my times. Prognosis?
Hi all!

So I'm doing a sprint tri in August. It will be my first, and I'm really looking forward to it. I wish it wasn't so far off, but it was all I could find local to me in the Chicago area. I'm hoping to do the Olympic distance next year. I almost went for it this year, but I chickened out.

Anyway, my two training partners and I went to an LA Fitness and did the swim, bike, run distances back to back just to see where we would be for times and how it would feel when putting them all together. Here's what I ended up with:

Swim: 16:49
Bike: 58:50
Run: 38:59

How should I feel about that? Any training advice based on those times? One concern I have is that all of my run training has been done indoors, so I know I need to get outside. Basically I've been swimming once a week and increasing speed and distance every time. I've been running (treadmill) three times a week and increasing speed, doing intervals, adding distance, etc. I get on the indoor bike for 15 miles every few weeks, but much prefer to do that outside, so intend to hit that more in the spring.

Keep doing what I'm doing? Or am I missing something important?

Thanks so much!
Nicole

2016-02-09 10:35 AM
in reply to: nodell

User image

Subject: RE: Checking my times. Prognosis?

I'd suggest you need to swim and bike more.  You seem like you are consistent with the running, 3 x's / week but only swimming once / wk and bike once every other week ?  I don't want to discourage you especially since it seems like you did a trial run of it so you have an idea of how you felt.  Adding another swim or two / week and similar with the bike will have you better prepared.  Even better there are some training plans on here you could access.

One other thing, you didn't mention any details of the race.  Is the swim open water and are you comfortable swimming in OW? 

2016-02-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Thanks!

Yes, the swim is open water and I'm okay with that. I have done it in my distant past, and I will have the opportunity to practice that this summer. For now, practice is all indoors.

I'll definitely look at how I can incorporate your advice.

Thanks again!
2016-02-09 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
You are seven months out from your race and you've already completed the distances consecutively - that puts you ahead of at least 85% of first-timers. Congratulations!

I agree that increased focus on the bike (especially) and the swim would be good focus areas. You didn't list the specific distances for each leg, so there's no way to judge relative paces to see where you could see the most improvement.

I'm going to assume that you looked for races at least a few weeks ago...for an area as big as Chicagoland I would find it somewhat unbelievable that there aren't races at least monthly from April or May until at least September. If I were you, I'd search again to see if I could find something in the May timeframe to do, and then if you feel good about how that goes you can still contact the race director for the August race and jump up to the Olympic if you are feeling it

Good luck, and have fun! You only get one first time!
2016-02-09 1:20 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hi Nicole,
welcome to the sport!
I did Chicago Tri (Sprint distance) last year and I loved it. I have couple of notes for you, as I were in your shoes exactly a year ago:

1. Good choice on starting with Sprint. You can always do Olympic (or even the Tripple Challenge next year).

2. There are many local events in Chicago area prior to that one, and those are very fun and could serve as a preparation for the big Chicago event:
- YMCA Leaning Tower sprint triathlon in Niles IL, in May (swim in the pool)
- Twin Lakes Sprint in Palatine IL, in June (swim in the lake)
- Esprit Sprint triathlon in Naperville, in June (swim in the lake)
- Glenview Sprint triathlon in Glenview IL, July (swim in the pool)

3. It would be great if you can do your activities outside, running and biking, to get a sense of how it is with the actual race. Try hills and turns on the bike especially. If Chicago bike route is in Lake Shore Drive, be prepared for ups and downs.... and the potholes

4. There is an Open Water Swim every Saturday morning (yes, even during winter) which is a great way to get some open water experience - and it all happens following the magnificent sunrise The guy who runs those meet-ups also has an open water swim clinic. On Saturday mornings as well.

5. The timing you provided: was it measured for each discipline separately, or one after another? It is important to practice couple of times one workout after another. Especially running after hard-core biking. Your legs may not feel like they belong to your body

Question for you: which discipline you feel is the strongest for you? Which one you feel is the weakest? I would suggest being as strong and comfortable in the water as you can, and practice different strokes, because water is no joke. You cannot predict waves, other people around you, or anything else that could happen. I do not want to scare you, but rather prepare you I had a major anxiety attack during the race and I do not want that to happen to anyone

keep us updated in your progress! I am anxious to see you there
Also, post your workouts in your log. There are plenty of experts here who can guide you and provide some feedback by checking your workout schedule.
2016-02-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Thank you! I was probably looking for 2016 races too early. I'm going to dig around and find some others. Great advice!

Oh, and that day I did my test, I did .5 swim, 15 miles bike, 3.2 run. I kept the transitions as short as possible, but had to get mostly dry before getting on the bike at the gym.

Thanks again!

2016-02-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Thank you, Mary! What great advice. I'm going to look into all of those races you mentioned. I'm about two hours south of Chicago, so anything within three hours of me is doable.

I'll definitely start posting my workouts.

Appreciate the help!
Nicole
2016-02-09 2:58 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Are you having fun? If so, then you're doing great.

I'll just add that I would keep track of your paces in each sport as you go. It's fun to look back at your progress as you get better and faster at each sport. If you want to have time goals for the race in September that's fine, but be prepared to revise them over the next several months.
2016-02-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Good advice, definitely. I wear a multi-sport watch and am keeping track of my paces. I am an info-junkie, so I wouldn't have it any other way.

I guess the point of my question was whether of not that kind of start would be a good base to have a successful sprint race. And I know, the question is, what does successful mean to me? Well, I don't doubt that I'll finish, which was my original goal. Now, I'm shooting for under 1:45, which is slow compared to so many, but a huge goal for me. Those times I posted were indoors (no weather, no hills, etc) and the transitions weren't quite as cumbersome as they will be at a race.

But, yes, I'm having a great time.

Thanks!
2016-02-09 3:15 PM

User image

Mary!

That Naperville Esprit De She is EXACTLY what I need. Perfect timing and distance, plus it's a lake swim...good practice for Chicago. Looks like a fun event. And the sweatshirt is really cute.

Thanks for pointing me there!
2016-02-09 4:00 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by nodell

Mary!

That Naperville Esprit De She is EXACTLY what I need. Perfect timing and distance, plus it's a lake swim...good practice for Chicago. Looks like a fun event. And the sweatshirt is really cute.

Thanks for pointing me there!

Good, that means I will meet you there because I am going too!

2016-02-09 4:03 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by nodell

Good advice, definitely. I wear a multi-sport watch and am keeping track of my paces. I am an info-junkie, so I wouldn't have it any other way.

I guess the point of my question was whether of not that kind of start would be a good base to have a successful sprint race. And I know, the question is, what does successful mean to me? Well, I don't doubt that I'll finish, which was my original goal. Now, I'm shooting for under 1:45, which is slow compared to so many, but a huge goal for me. Those times I posted were indoors (no weather, no hills, etc) and the transitions weren't quite as cumbersome as they will be at a race.

But, yes, I'm having a great time.

Thanks!

I guess continue what you're doing and, as mentioned, have fun After your first race you will have an idea on what to change/improve. Also, the transition time is hard to predict in Chicago Tri: last year it was 500 m run (or walk for some) from water to your bike...
If you could, increase your training to AT LEAST twice a week for each discipline.
2016-02-09 4:15 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

I'm going to try to do that. The swim is my favorite part but it's the hardest one for me to make happen for logistical reasons, but I'm going to make a serious effort to get more swimming in.

I look forward to meeting you in Naperville. I'll be the one bringing up the rear.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Checking my times. Prognosis? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ITU Edmonton check in AND wave times

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 630 Posts: 2

2014-07-30 10:08 PM Left Brain

Check in thread responders check in!

Started by 2453V
Views: 1201 Posts: 9

2012-03-30 2:01 PM 2453V

Swim time check - and/or IM discipline rankings.

Started by gwbuild
Views: 1572 Posts: 7

2011-12-12 4:53 AM Fred D

Pool Time vs Open Water Time- Your time comparisons

Started by jerry
Views: 1259 Posts: 5

2005-04-01 4:22 PM CLLinIA

Where do I check past AG times

Started by Tizzy
Views: 869 Posts: 7

2005-01-03 8:26 PM KSMITH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.